2 Public keys with same mailadress and password - PGP

This is a discussion on 2 Public keys with same mailadress and password - PGP ; hey! Im a gpg newbie... And i did one bad thing: I generated my first key.... and uploaded the public key to the keyserver. then i decided to take a better keylength and deleted the old key on my harddisk ...

  1. 2 Public keys with same mailadress and password

    hey!

    Im a gpg newbie...

    And i did one bad thing: I generated my first key.... and uploaded the
    public key to the keyserver.

    then i decided to take a better keylength and deleted the old key on
    my harddisk (and yeah i ignored the warning message.)

    Of course, i didnt generate any revoke-cetifikates...

    And now i generated the second key with the same password and email
    but with another length and uploaded it again.

    Now I have 2 public keys and only one private key....

    But i tried to send an encrypted mail with my first public key.... And
    could decrypt it?!?! I deleted my old private key.. so why can i
    decrypt it?

    or i am stupid?

    Can somebody help me?

    thx,
    sorry for my bad english!

  2. Re: 2 Public keys with same mailadress and password

  3. Re: 2 Public keys with same mailadress and password

    On 11/27/2007 3:07 PM, Tom McCune wrote:
    > Lp wrote in
    >

    >> And i did one bad thing: I generated my first key.... and uploaded the
    >> public key to the keyserver.
    >>
    >> then i decided to take a better keylength and deleted the old key on
    >> my harddisk (and yeah i ignored the warning message.)
    >>
    >> Of course, i didnt generate any revoke-cetifikates...
    >>
    >> And now i generated the second key with the same password and email
    >> but with another length and uploaded it again.
    >>
    >> Now I have 2 public keys and only one private key....
    >>
    >> But i tried to send an encrypted mail with my first public key.... And
    >> could decrypt it?!?! I deleted my old private key.. so why can i
    >> decrypt it?

    > If you really deleted your only copy of the private key, you would not be
    > able to decrypt anything encrypted to the paired public key.
    >
    > This is one good reason to consider using the PGP Global Directory for your
    > key server. It will not allow you to have two keys on it at the same time
    > with the same email address. It will also allow you to remove your own
    > key.

    But I've always had two keys for the same address. One is RSA v.3 and
    the other is DH/DSS. The latter is signed by the former but not vice
    versa.

    --
    David E. Ross

    Natural foods can be harmful: Look at all the
    people who die of natural causes.

+ Reply to Thread