WinPT and GPGee only decrypt to first recipient? - PGP

This is a discussion on WinPT and GPGee only decrypt to first recipient? - PGP ; Hello, I already asked this in the thread with subject "Which free file encryption for Windows Vista?" but in fact the problem has nothing to do with Vista, so I start a new thread. After several tests with GnuPG and ...

  1. WinPT and GPGee only decrypt to first recipient?

    Hello,
    I already asked this in the thread with subject
    "Which free file encryption for Windows Vista?"
    but in fact the problem has nothing to do with Vista,
    so I start a new thread.

    After several tests with GnuPG and associates I installed the GnuPG
    suite "gpg4win" ( http://www.gpg4win.org/ ) version 1.1.3, which
    installs GnuPG version 1.4.7, WinPT 1.2.0 and GPGee 1.3.1, i.e. the
    current versions.

    Encryption and decryption works, but for files encrypted for more than
    one recipient, GPGee only lets me decrypt to the first recipient.

    Details:
    The file is encrypted to -say- recipient A and recipient B.
    Both private keys are in the keyring.
    GPGee as well as WinPT only offer decryption for recipient A.

    Now I delete the private key of "A" from the keyring.
    GPGee as well as WinPT still only offer decryption for recipient A,
    which then of course fails as her private key is not on the keyring.

    What is going on here?

    --
    Wilfried Hennings
    please reply in the newsgroup, the e-mail address is invalid

  2. Re: WinPT and GPGee only decrypt to first recipient?

    On Nov 15, 4:43 am, Wilfried Hennings wrote:

    > Encryption and decryption works, but for files encrypted for more than
    > one recipient, GPGee only lets me decrypt to the first recipient.
    >
    > Details:
    > The file is encrypted to -say- recipient A and recipient B.
    > Both private keys are in the keyring.
    > GPGee as well as WinPT only offer decryption for recipient A.
    >
    > Now I delete the private key of "A" from the keyring.
    > GPGee as well as WinPT still only offer decryption for recipient A,
    > which then of course fails as her private key is not on the keyring.
    >
    > What is going on here?

    the front ends cannot do more than what the actual gnupg program does

    gnupg allows for 3 tries for each key that the message is encrypted
    to,
    and then goes on to try the next key

    try this,

    when decrypting,
    just press 3 times

    gpgee or winpt should then ask you to decrypt with the next key

    ( at least it does this for me, on xp, with gnupg 1.4.7 and winpt
    1.0.0)

    vedaal

  3. Re: WinPT and GPGee only decrypt to first recipient?

    vedaal wrote:

    > On Nov 15, 4:43 am, Wilfried Hennings wrote:
    >

    > > Encryption and decryption works, but for files encrypted for more than
    > > one recipient, GPGee only lets me decrypt to the first recipient.
    > >
    > > Details:
    > > The file is encrypted to -say- recipient A and recipient B.
    > > Both private keys are in the keyring.
    > > GPGee as well as WinPT only offer decryption for recipient A.
    > >
    > > Now I delete the private key of "A" from the keyring.
    > > GPGee as well as WinPT still only offer decryption for recipient A,
    > > which then of course fails as her private key is not on the keyring.
    > >
    > > What is going on here?

    > the front ends cannot do more than what the actual gnupg program does
    >
    > gnupg allows for 3 tries for each key that the message is encrypted
    > to,
    > and then goes on to try the next key
    >
    > try this,
    >
    > when decrypting,
    > just press 3 times
    >
    > gpgee or winpt should then ask you to decrypt with the next key

    As I did not know this, this is a really helpful information for me.
    I'm going to test it when I'm back home tonight.

    --
    Wilfried Hennings
    please reply in the newsgroup, the e-mail address is invalid

+ Reply to Thread