Which free file encryption for Windows Vista? - PGP

This is a discussion on Which free file encryption for Windows Vista? - PGP ; Hello all, up to now I successfully used PGP 6.5.8 under Windows XP. Yes, I know that it is rather old, but 7.x does not work under XP, and I regard 8.x as too bloated. I don't need disk encryption, ...

  1. Which free file encryption for Windows Vista?

    Hello all,
    up to now I successfully used PGP 6.5.8 under Windows XP. Yes, I know
    that it is rather old, but 7.x does not work under XP, and I regard 8.x
    as too bloated.
    I don't need disk encryption, I don't need Outlook encryption.
    I only need encryption of single files from the explorer context menu.

    Now I've got a new PC with Vista, and PGP 6.5.8 does not work under
    Vista. It installs OK, but when I try to encrypt a file, it complains
    that it cannot lock memory.

    So I see it is time to switch to another solution.

    After several tests with GnuPG and associates I installed the GnuPG
    suite "gpg4win" ( http://www.gpg4win.org/ ) version 1.1.3, which
    installs GnuPG version 1.4.7 including the Vista patch, and GPGee 1.3.1.

    Encryption and decryption works, but for files encrypted for more than
    one recipient, GPGee only lets me decrypt to the first recipient. (Also
    not under WinXP.) Of course both private keys are in the keyring.
    Moreover, GPGee does not offer the "wipe file" function which is offered
    by PGP. (Also not under WinXP.)

    So my questions:
    1. If I overlooked something which allows GPGee to offer decryption for
    any recipient, please let me know.
    Or point me to another software which allows this.

    2. It seems that GnuPG does not offer file wiping. Any other software
    which does this?

    --
    Wilfried Hennings
    please reply in the newsgroup, the e-mail address is invalid

  2. Re: Which free file encryption for Windows Vista?

    Wilfried Hennings wrote in

    > Hello all,
    > up to now I successfully used PGP 6.5.8 under Windows XP. Yes, I know
    > that it is rather old, but 7.x does not work under XP, and I regard 8.x
    > as too bloated.
    > I don't need disk encryption, I don't need Outlook encryption.
    > I only need encryption of single files from the explorer context menu.
    >
    > Now I've got a new PC with Vista, and PGP 6.5.8 does not work under
    > Vista. It installs OK, but when I try to encrypt a file, it complains
    > that it cannot lock memory.
    >
    > So I see it is time to switch to another solution.
    >
    > After several tests with GnuPG and associates I installed the GnuPG
    > suite "gpg4win" ( http://www.gpg4win.org/ ) version 1.1.3, which
    > installs GnuPG version 1.4.7 including the Vista patch, and GPGee 1.3.1.
    >
    > Encryption and decryption works, but for files encrypted for more than
    > one recipient, GPGee only lets me decrypt to the first recipient. (Also
    > not under WinXP.) Of course both private keys are in the keyring.
    > Moreover, GPGee does not offer the "wipe file" function which is offered
    > by PGP. (Also not under WinXP.)
    >
    > So my questions:
    > 1. If I overlooked something which allows GPGee to offer decryption for
    > any recipient, please let me know.
    > Or point me to another software which allows this.
    >
    > 2. It seems that GnuPG does not offer file wiping. Any other software
    > which does this?
    >

    > --
    > Wilfried Hennings
    > please reply in the newsgroup, the e-mail address is invalid

    You might want to consider PGP. The installed options can be limited - see
    http://tinyurl.com/33wnaa

    - --
    Tom McCune

  3. Re: Which free file encryption for Windows Vista?

    > So my questions:
    > 1. If I overlooked something which allows GPGee to offer
    > decryption for any recipient, please let me know.
    > Or point me to another software which allows this.
    >
    > 2. It seems that GnuPG does not offer file wiping. Any other
    > software which does this?
    >

    > --
    > Wilfried Hennings
    > please reply in the newsgroup, the e-mail address is invalid

    Answered in alt.security.pgp

    Try cross-posting instead of multi-posting.

    -- John

+ Reply to Thread