Migrating away from Palm desktop - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Migrating away from Palm desktop - Palmtop ; I feel the time has come to turn away from my old Palm handheld. Next stop will be a good smart phone. However I don't think I'll ever be able to bring myself to use Outlook. it is horrifically complex ...

  1. Migrating away from Palm desktop

    I feel the time has come to turn away from my old Palm handheld. Next
    stop will be a good smart phone. However I don't think I'll ever be
    able to bring myself to use Outlook. it is horrifically complex and
    slow. To put it another way: I hate it. I am basically more than happy
    with my Palm Desktop, but I want to change away from separate phone
    and organiser to one smartphone. I don't think the new Palm Cleo is up
    to it. I suppose it'll come down to a Nokia or a Samsung. Shouldn't
    be difficult changing my calendar to use the Google Calendar, but I
    fear the Google Contacts will groan under the weight of more than 2000
    contacts. I have once tried importing, but found it awfully slow. So
    the question is: what's the best way to go?

  2. Re: Migrating away from Palm desktop

    MartinC wrote:
    > I feel the time has come to turn away from my old Palm handheld. Next
    > stop will be a good smart phone. However I don't think I'll ever be
    > able to bring myself to use Outlook. it is horrifically complex and
    > slow. To put it another way: I hate it. I am basically more than happy
    > with my Palm Desktop, but I want to change away from separate phone
    > and organiser to one smartphone. I don't think the new Palm Cleo is up
    > to it. I suppose it'll come down to a Nokia or a Samsung. Shouldn't
    > be difficult changing my calendar to use the Google Calendar, but I
    > fear the Google Contacts will groan under the weight of more than 2000
    > contacts. I have once tried importing, but found it awfully slow. So
    > the question is: what's the best way to go?

    I don't know what Browser and email your are using but I have been using
    Firefox/Thunderbird and been very happy with it. Thunderbird has a
    contact program, however I do not know the upper limit.

    In Thunderbird there is an extension that is easily added that is called
    Lightning. It is a colander/task program quite similar to the Palm
    desktop. It is my understanding that Lightning will be part of
    Thunderbird 3.0 and not an extension.

    I have been using Lightning/Thunderbird for about 8 months and have been
    quite happy with it. I have about 600 names in my contact list and have
    seen no signs of trouble.

  3. Re: Migrating away from Palm desktop

    On Nov 10, 5:49*pm, Keith nuttle wrote:

    > I don't know what Browser and email your are using but I have been using
    > Firefox/Thunderbird and been very happy with it. *Thunderbird has a
    > contact program, however I do not know the upper limit.

    FF, TB and Chrome...

    > In Thunderbird there is an extension that is easily added that is called
    > Lightning. *It is a colander/task program quite similar to the Palm
    > desktop. *It is my understanding that Lightning will be part of
    > Thunderbird 3.0 and not an extension.

    But how do I get it on my phone?

    Martin

+ Reply to Thread