Is Palm PDA dead? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Is Palm PDA dead? - Palmtop ; There seems to be no movement at Palm for its PDA line. Is it dead or just hibernating? Many have hold the view that there simply isn't any market for PDA anymore and the smart phones is the way to ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

  1. Is Palm PDA dead?

    There seems to be no movement at Palm for its
    PDA line. Is it dead or just hibernating? Many
    have hold the view that there simply isn't any
    market for PDA anymore and the smart phones
    is the way to go. What is you thought on this?
    I'm still happily using my TX and I'm not too
    sure about getting a smart phone to replace
    it any time soon.

    /Why Tea

  2. Re: Is Palm PDA dead?

    Why Tea wrote:

    >There seems to be no movement at Palm for its
    >PDA line. Is it dead or just hibernating?

    I'd say it's probably dead. I still see them in the discount houses
    but apparently they're not selling many. Not surprising considering
    the competition.

    >I'm still happily using my TX and I'm not too
    >sure about getting a smart phone to replace
    >it any time soon.

    I use my TX (and several previous Palm models) for ebook reading. The
    screens on the phones make very poor readers. The commercial readers
    (Amazon-Sony) are too big and heavy to fit in the pocket. So for the
    time being the TX is it. Bring the price down on the Touch a little
    and well, who knows...

  3. Re: Is Palm PDA dead?

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 10:16:23 -0700 (PDT), Why Tea
    wrote:

    >There seems to be no movement at Palm for its
    >PDA line. Is it dead or just hibernating? Many
    >have hold the view that there simply isn't any
    >market for PDA anymore and the smart phones
    >is the way to go. What is you thought on this?

    Palm is one of the companies which seems to think that the PDA market
    is dead. And while this is something of a self-fulfilling prophecy
    since Palm hasn't made a new PDA since the TX, Apple's success with
    the iPhone and Palm's own success with the Treo and Centro suggests
    that this is indeed the case.

    >I'm still happily using my TX and I'm not too
    >sure about getting a smart phone to replace
    >it any time soon.

    Personally, I've been using smartphone ever since I popped a
    Handspring VisorPhone module into my Visor Platinum's Springboard slot
    almost ten years ago. But I still carry a Palm TX in addition to my
    Treo 680. I've also been eyeing the iPhone but I don't think I could
    ever get used to its onscreen keyboard after having used Treo
    keyboards for years. I also dread the thought of having to migrate a
    decade's worth of PIM data to an iPhone. I'd probably end up being one
    of those guys who carries two phones if I went for the iPhone.

    Ironically enough, the best choice right now for traditional PDA users
    besides the Palm TX might be the iPod Touch. Once it has been
    outfitted with the proper software, the Touch can function as a nice
    e-book reader and web tablet. Now if only it could talk to a GSM phone
    over a Bluetooth connection....
    --
    Cause, really, nothing says "I'm a counter culture
    rebel, fighting the establishment" like an Aibo on

    Roberto Castillo
    robertocastillo@ameritech.net
    http://mind-grapes.blogspot.com/
    http://zombie-gulch.myminicity.com/

  4. Re: Is Palm PDA dead?

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 10:16:23 -0700, Why Tea wrote:

    > There seems to be no movement at Palm for its PDA line. Is it dead or
    > just hibernating? Many have hold the view that there simply isn't any
    > market for PDA anymore and the smart phones is the way to go. What is
    > you thought on this? I'm still happily using my TX and I'm not too sure
    > about getting a smart phone to replace it any time soon.
    >
    > /Why Tea

    "It's dead, Jim". You're better off getting one of the garnet emulators,
    and running that -- if you're that hard up.

    Seriously, I waiting for the homeless people on my street corner to start
    carrying the Palm -- it'll match the Tommy Hilfiger castoffs they seem to
    get at the shelters. (Maybe detox'll handout Palm3s to give them
    reminders to show up for rehab and meds).

    I've been fishing around for a year to find something that's an equitable
    replacement (and not a phone!). Looks like the N8xx family and/or the
    Android based stuff (and perhaps any number of the new mini-micros EEE,
    etc class boxes) are going to be a little more realistic for online/
    offline lifestyles. I'll miss the Palm, but living with the recent
    versions of PalmOS and the 'oh, so-1990's' OS are getting me over that
    pretty damn quick.

    Suck it up. Get a Tablet, EEE or similar-classed device instead. You've
    got a shot in hell of it actually working....

  5. Re: Is Palm PDA dead?

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 19:07:53 -0500, Thomas P Brisco
    wrote:

    >I've been fishing around for a year to find something that's an equitable
    >replacement (and not a phone!). Looks like the N8xx family and/or the
    >Android based stuff (and perhaps any number of the new mini-micros EEE,
    >etc class boxes) are going to be a little more realistic for online/
    >offline lifestyles. I'll miss the Palm, but living with the recent
    >versions of PalmOS and the 'oh, so-1990's' OS are getting me over that
    >pretty damn quick.
    >
    >Suck it up. Get a Tablet, EEE or similar-classed device instead. You've
    >got a shot in hell of it actually working....

    I've got an Acer Aspire One and while it's a nice little laptop, it
    doesn't replace a PDA for me. Personally, I'd be fine carrying just a
    PalmOS phone and no PDA if it had a big screen.
    --
    Cause, really, nothing says "I'm a counter culture
    rebel, fighting the establishment" like an Aibo on
    a skateboard.
    - Seen on Slashdot

    Roberto Castillo
    robertocastillo@ameritech.net
    http://mind-grapes.blogspot.com/
    http://zombie-gulch.myminicity.com/

  6. Re: Is Palm PDA dead?

    Zombie Elvis wrote:

    >I've got an Acer Aspire One and while it's a nice little laptop, it
    >doesn't replace a PDA for me.

    Agreed. I've got a dinky Eee Pc netbook and it's a great traveler, but
    it still doesn't fit in my pocket...

    >Personally, I'd be fine carrying just a
    >PalmOS phone and no PDA if it had a big screen.

    Yes, a TX phone would be perfect (virtual keyboard like the iphone).

  7. Re: Is Palm PDA dead?

    In message <54ung41rj0dlrgrjvf45raibnn0jvk6bq3@4ax.com> AJL
    was claimed to have wrote:

    >Zombie Elvis wrote:
    >
    >>Personally, I'd be fine carrying just a
    >>PalmOS phone and no PDA if it had a big screen.

    >Yes, a TX phone would be perfect (virtual keyboard like the iphone).

    Except that the TX's keyboard really does need a stylus, the Palm
    touchscreens don't handle finger typing particularly well.

  8. Re: Is Palm PDA dead?

    DevilsPGD wrote:

    >In message <54ung41rj0dlrgrjvf45raibnn0jvk6bq3@4ax.com> AJL
    > was claimed to have wrote:

    >>Yes, a TX phone would be perfect (virtual keyboard like the iphone).

    >Except that the TX's keyboard really does need a stylus, the Palm
    >touchscreens don't handle finger typing particularly well.

    A TX phone would obviously have a full screen finger optimized
    keyboard...

  9. Re: Is Palm PDA dead?

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 23:41:49 -0700, AJL
    wrote:

    >Zombie Elvis wrote:
    >
    >>I've got an Acer Aspire One and while it's a nice little laptop, it
    >>doesn't replace a PDA for me.

    >Agreed. I've got a dinky Eee Pc netbook and it's a great traveler, but
    >it still doesn't fit in my pocket...
    >
    >>Personally, I'd be fine carrying just a
    >>PalmOS phone and no PDA if it had a big screen.

    >Yes, a TX phone would be perfect (virtual keyboard like the iphone).

    I'd prefer a reversed Tungsten T3-style slider where the screen can
    slide down to hide the keyboard when it's not in use -- best of both
    worlds.
    --
    Cause, really, nothing says "I'm a counter culture
    rebel, fighting the establishment" like an Aibo on
    a skateboard.
    - Seen on Slashdot

    Roberto Castillo
    robertocastillo@ameritech.net
    http://mind-grapes.blogspot.com/
    http://zombie-gulch.myminicity.com/

  10. Re: Is Palm PDA dead?

    On Oct 31, 3:20*pm, Zombie Elvis
    wrote:
    > On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 10:16:23 -0700 (PDT), Why Tea
    > wrote:
    >
    > >There seems to be no movement at Palm for its
    > >PDA line. Is it dead or just hibernating? Many
    > >have hold the view that there simply isn't any
    > >market for PDA anymore and the smart phones
    > >is the way to go. What is you thought on this?

    > Palm is one of the companies which seems to think that the PDA market
    > is dead. And while this is something of a self-fulfilling prophecy
    > since Palm hasn't made a new PDA since the TX, Apple's success with
    > the iPhone and Palm's own success with the Treo and Centro suggests
    > that this is indeed the case.
    >
    > >I'm still happily using my TX and I'm not too
    > >sure about getting a smart phone to replace
    > >it any time soon.

    > Personally, I've been using smartphone ever since I popped a
    > Handspring VisorPhone module into my Visor Platinum's Springboard slot
    > almost ten years ago. But I still carry a Palm TX in addition to my
    > Treo 680. I've also been eyeing the iPhone but I don't think I could
    > ever get used to its onscreen keyboard after having used Treo
    > keyboards for years. I also dread the thought of having to migrate a
    > decade's worth of PIM data to an iPhone. I'd probably end up being one
    > of those guys who carries two phones if I went for the iPhone.
    >
    > Ironically enough, the best choice right now for traditional PDA users
    > besides the Palm TX might be the iPod Touch. Once it has been
    > outfitted with the proper software, the Touch can function as a nice
    > e-book reader and web tablet. Now if only it could talk to a GSM phone
    > over a Bluetooth connection....

    I would be interested to know the comparison between
    the TX and iPod Touch in terms of the traditional functions
    of a PDA, data entry, screen size, etc.

  11. Re: Is Palm PDA dead?

    In message AJL
    was claimed to have wrote:

    >DevilsPGD wrote:
    >
    >>In message <54ung41rj0dlrgrjvf45raibnn0jvk6bq3@4ax.com> AJL
    >> was claimed to have wrote:

    >>>Yes, a TX phone would be perfect (virtual keyboard like the iphone).

    >>Except that the TX's keyboard really does need a stylus, the Palm
    >>touchscreens don't handle finger typing particularly well.

    >A TX phone would obviously have a full screen finger optimized
    >keyboard...

    You'd think. You'd also think that Palm would have a PalmOS smartphone
    with wifi, GPS, Bluetooth 2.0, support for modern versions of Windows.

  12. Re: Is Palm PDA dead?

    Why Tea writes:

    >I would be interested to know the comparison between
    >the TX and iPod Touch in terms of the traditional functions
    >of a PDA, data entry, screen size, etc.

    I'm trying out just that now (well, I'm going from a T3 to an iPod Touch).

    Results so far:

    1. Web browser and WiFi connectivity:

    iPod is *much* better

    2. Screen and GUI:

    iPod wins. Fast, easy to read and navigate.

    3. Mail program:

    iPod wins. Really good and easy to use.

    4. Calendar:

    The iPod calendar is lacking some stuff that I use on the Palm.
    Like categories... Might be alternative ways to do things though.

    5. "Keyboard":

    I really miss the T3's stylus. Makes for much faster data input
    (I usually use the virtual keyboard on the T3) than my clumsy
    fingers on the iPod touch screen. I'm adapting slowly though.

    6. "strip":

    I _really_ need a good passwords management utility for the iPod.
    That supports one-time-passwords (S/Key, OPIE). My search for that
    tool has so far turned up zero good alternatives... :-(

    7. Internet connectivity via Bluetooth to a cell phone:

    The 2:nd gen iPod Touch does have the Bluetooth hardware (and uses
    it for the Nike shoes interface)... So it only lacks some
    software :-)

    All in all: the iPod is promising... I need to figure out a way
    to transfer my calendar data to it though (and then set up a two-way
    sync with (for example) Google Calendar...

    - Peter--
    --
    Peter Eriksson Phone: +46 13 28 2786
    Computer Systems Manager/BOFH Cell/GSM: +46 705 18 2786

  13. Re: Is Palm PDA dead?

    Per Peter Eriksson:
    >All in all:

    Do you have any need for hierarchical lists?

    e.g.
    ----------------------------------
    ShoppingList

    + SuperFresh
    eggs
    bacon
    spinach
    + HomeDepot
    extension cord
    paint
    -----------------------------------
    If so, does iTouch offer anything?
    --
    PeteCresswell

  14. Re: Is Palm PDA dead?

    In message
    "(PeteCresswell)" was claimed to have wrote:

    >Per Peter Eriksson:
    >>All in all:

    >Do you have any need for hierarchical lists?
    >
    >e.g.
    >----------------------------------
    >ShoppingList
    >
    > + SuperFresh
    > eggs
    > bacon
    > spinach
    > + HomeDepot
    > extension cord
    > paint
    >-----------------------------------
    >If so, does iTouch offer anything?

    Personally I don't use hierarchical lists, just flat categories, but
    from the description Synthesis' SyncML Todo application should support
    hierarchical tasks.

    The app itself looks a little cheesy but it's functional and has rock
    solid synchronization (assuming you have access to a SyncML server, or
    at least access to the web to grab Funambol's free SyncML server)

  15. Re: Is Palm PDA dead?

    "(PeteCresswell)" writes:

    >Per Peter Eriksson:
    >>All in all:

    >Do you have any need for hierarchical lists?

    >e.g.
    >----------------------------------
    >ShoppingList

    > + SuperFresh
    > eggs
    > bacon
    > spinach
    > + HomeDepot
    > extension cord
    > paint
    >-----------------------------------
    >If so, does iTouch offer anything?

    Sorry, no idea. Haven't looked into that area.

    - Peter
    Peter Eriksson Phone: +46 13 28 2786
    Computer Systems Manager/BOFH Cell/GSM: +46 705 18 2786
    Physics Department, Linköping University Room: Building F, F203

  16. Re: Is Palm PDA dead?

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 12:09:04 -0600, AJL wrote
    (in article ):

    > Why Tea wrote:
    >
    > I use my TX (and several previous Palm models) for ebook reading. The
    > screens on the phones make very poor readers. The commercial readers
    > (Amazon-Sony) are too big and heavy to fit in the pocket. So for the
    > time being the TX is it. Bring the price down on the Touch a little
    > and well, who knows...

    I use eReader on the iPhone for reading and it's better than my TX.

    The only thing is that if you want to load non-FictionWise/eReader content,
    you need a personal web server.

    Another thing is if you have a lot of DRMed ebooks in MobiPocket format,
    you're outta luck (at least so far).

    And being as how Mobi's owned by Amazon - owners of the Kindle - I strongly
    doubt that Mobi CEO's mutterings of an iPhone reader by the end of the year
    will actually come to pass.

  17. Re: Is Palm PDA dead?

    Verne Arase wrote:

    >I use eReader on the iPhone for reading and it's better than my TX.

    The screens are the same resolution so no big difference there. And of
    course I have eReader on my TX but I don't care for it. There are
    several free Palm readers that do much more. But I must keep it to
    read eReader books and use my MW dictionary.

    >The only thing is that if you want to load non-FictionWise/eReader content,
    >you need a personal web server.

    That was a deal breaker for me when I looked at the Touch.

    With the TX I can load any type of book (or program) with just a SD
    card.

    With the TX I have my choice of several readers, both paid and free,
    that can read virtually any type of ebook file.

    >Another thing is if you have a lot of DRMed ebooks in MobiPocket format,
    >you're outta luck (at least so far).

    Another reader I don't care for, but I keep it on the TX just in
    case...

    >And being as how Mobi's owned by Amazon - owners of the Kindle - I strongly
    >doubt that Mobi CEO's mutterings of an iPhone reader by the end of the year
    >will actually come to pass.

    For us pocket readers the Kindle sux. It's just too big to carry
    around. I always keep my eye out for my next electronic reading device
    since the TX is essentially dead, but so far I've not found one.

    I will agree that the IPhone/Touch is superior to the TX in many ways
    and that sales prove it, but for ebook reading the TX is still the
    best yet made (IMO of course)...

  18. Re: Is Palm PDA dead?

    On Thu, 6 Nov 2008 14:21:59 -0600, AJL wrote
    (in article <83j6h499rrpuugn78g1s7vfqam0ni7gl4q@4ax.com>):

    >> The only thing is that if you want to load non-FictionWise/eReader content,
    >> you need a personal web server.

    > That was a deal breaker for me when I looked at the Touch.

    Being as how most of my content is purchased from FictionWise or eReader,
    this was perfect for me.

    > I will agree that the IPhone/Touch is superior to the TX in many ways
    > and that sales prove it, but for ebook reading the TX is still the
    > best yet made (IMO of course)...

    Being as how I have hundreds of ebooks, the new library list with sorting by
    title, author, or date purchased is ideal for me.

    .... and if you are tired to swiping to turn pages, there is a configuration
    option which allows you to simply tap to change pages.

  19. Re: Is Palm PDA dead?

    Verne Arase wrote:

    >... and if you are tired to swiping to turn pages, there is a configuration
    >option which allows you to simply tap to change pages.

    Not sure what you mean here. In virtually every Palm reader since the
    beginning you could tap to change the pages.

  20. Re: Is Palm PDA dead?

    + AJL :

    > Verne Arase wrote:
    >
    >>... and if you are tired to swiping to turn pages, there is a
    >>configuration option which allows you to simply tap to change pages.

    > Not sure what you mean here. In virtually every Palm reader since the
    > beginning you could tap to change the pages.

    Methinks he was talking about the iphone (or ipod touch).

    --
    * Harald Hanche-Olsen
    -- Bertrand Russell

+ Reply to Thread