    It just doesn't seem like Palm is going to be able to keep up. What
    does the future hold?

  2. Re: iPhone and gPhone killing Palm OS?

    On 2008-10-28, Sarah wrote:
    > It just doesn't seem like Palm is going to be able to keep up. What
    > does the future hold?

    In some ways, Palm is way ahead. I still haven't seen any other device
    that does the basic PIM stuff better than Palm. iPhone? Nope. G1? It
    uses Google Calendar essentially, so nope. I've yet to lay hands on a
    Blackberry, and I'd love to hear that their organizer is great -- anyone?

    But in just about every other way, yes, Palm has been stagnant for far too
    long. ACCESS has finally released 1.0 of ALP, which could have been
    the next gen PalmOS (and still could be?). But with Android out there now,
    I wonder if Palm didn't miss their window of opportunity.

    Palm needs to majorly rev their OS and soon, and they've not shown the
    ability to move fast.

    --
    Joshua Baker-LePain
    QB3 Shared Cluster Sysadmin

  3. Re: iPhone and gPhone killing Palm OS?

    Per Sarah:
    >It just doesn't seem like Palm is going to be able to keep up. What
    >does the future hold?

    Can anybody report on the usability of the Apple iTouch as a PDA?

    Biggest question for me would be availability of a hierarchical
    data manager - nothing sophisticated, just the rough equivalent
    of an MS Word document in Outline mode.
    --
    PeteCresswell

  4. Re: iPhone and gPhone killing Palm OS?

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 05:37:46 -0700 (PDT), Sarah
    wrote:

    >It just doesn't seem like Palm is going to be able to keep up. What
    >does the future hold?

    We don't know. Palm won't tell us.

  5. Re: iPhone and gPhone killing Palm OS?

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 17:54:16 +0000 (UTC), Joshua Baker-LePain
    wrote:

    >On 2008-10-28, Sarah wrote:
    >> It just doesn't seem like Palm is going to be able to keep up. What
    >> does the future hold?

    >In some ways, Palm is way ahead. I still haven't seen any other device
    >that does the basic PIM stuff better than Palm. iPhone? Nope. G1? It
    >uses Google Calendar essentially, so nope. I've yet to lay hands on a
    >Blackberry, and I'd love to hear that their organizer is great -- anyone?

    I tend to agree on the PIM applications. I still haven't seen the kind
    of functionality that Palm had almost a decade ago.

    >But in just about every other way, yes, Palm has been stagnant for far too
    >long. ACCESS has finally released 1.0 of ALP, which could have been
    >the next gen PalmOS (and still could be?). But with Android out there now,
    >I wonder if Palm didn't miss their window of opportunity.

    AFAIK there is almost zero possibility that Palm will ever put out an
    ALP device. Palm has released very little information about Nova
    (Palm's next gen PalmOS).
    --
    Cause, really, nothing says "I'm a counter culture
    rebel, fighting the establishment" like an Aibo on

    Roberto Castillo
    robertocastillo@ameritech.net
    http://mind-grapes.blogspot.com/
    http://zombie-gulch.myminicity.com/

  6. Re: iPhone and gPhone killing Palm OS?

    In article
    >, Sarah wrote:
    > subject: iPhone and gPhone killing Palm OS?

    If anything Palm is killing PalmOS by releasing more and more trashy
    Windows Mobile devices ... the Treo Pro has nice hardware, but why is
    there no Palm OS version?

    Palm should write a book: "How to throw away market dominance without
    even trying".

    Cheers,
    Daniel.

+ Reply to Thread