GPS Bluetooth for Treo 680 - Palmtop

This is a discussion on GPS Bluetooth for Treo 680 - Palmtop ; I'm looking for a GPS Bluetooth device for the 680. It will mostly be used in the car but sometimes while walking or at sea so I would like something with a good battery life and reasonably compact. Any suggestions ...

  1. GPS Bluetooth for Treo 680

    I'm looking for a GPS Bluetooth device for the 680. It will mostly
    be used in the car but sometimes while walking or at sea so I
    would like something with a good battery life and reasonably
    compact.

    Any suggestions ? GB based.

  2. Re: GPS Bluetooth for Treo 680

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 19:08:55 +0000 (UTC),
    p.slegg@sNcOuSbPaAdMivers.co.uk (P Slegg) wrote:

    >I'm looking for a GPS Bluetooth device for the 680. It will mostly
    >be used in the car but sometimes while walking or at sea so I
    >would like something with a good battery life and reasonably
    >compact.
    >
    >Any suggestions ? GB based.

    The globalsat & holux devices seem to be good. The 20 channel
    globalsat devices are sometimes available on Ebay for under $50US with
    maps, even less without maps; I don't have any idea what the GB
    equivalents go for. I have an older globalsat CompactFlash GPS that
    is reliable but sometimes takes 5 minutes to lock on a cold start.

    I did make a great buy this month - a Route66 BT-GPS for $1US and
    $4.80US shipping on Ebay. The seller didn't have all the accessores
    (driver CD, cables) and apparently no one else was willing to take a
    chance on making it work. It works - and achieves lock in about 45
    seconds (outside, open view of sky).

    John

  3. Re: GPS Bluetooth for Treo 680

    On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 07:08:55PM +0000, P Slegg wrote:

    > I'm looking for a GPS Bluetooth device for the 680. It will mostly
    > be used in the car but sometimes while walking or at sea so I
    > would like something with a good battery life and reasonably
    > compact.
    >
    > Any suggestions ? GB based.

    You'll need software for it too, of course.

    I bought a copy of Tomtom, and got a free no-name GPS with it. It has
    great battery life, but unfortuantely it's so no-name that it doesn't
    provide any clue whatsoever who made it.

    You'll have problems with software though - while Tomtom is great for
    driving, it's useless for anything else. I've tried to find software
    that works well for walking, but couldn't find anything that worked.
    So if anyone can recommend something that will let me provide my own
    bitmap files of maps, tell it the co-ordinates of the corners, and just
    show me where I am, then I'd be most grateful. It must not require
    Windows on my desktop, because I'm a Mac user and don't have a Windows
    licence.

    Extra shiny features that would be useful would be the ability to record
    my route, set and show waypoints, and to seamlessly change from one map
    file to another as necessary.

    EIN KIRCHE! EIN KREDO! EIN PAPST!

+ Reply to Thread