Some apps launch the old, rom version of other apps - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Some apps launch the old, rom version of other apps - Palmtop ; I am using a Treo 755p. I have two apps that launch the old rom version of some other apps, rather than the newer software versions. (The new software versions were installed before these apps that work improperly.) I assume ...

  1. Some apps launch the old, rom version of other apps

    I am using a Treo 755p. I have two apps that launch the old rom
    version of some other apps, rather than the newer software versions.
    (The new software versions were installed before these apps that work
    improperly.) I assume it is a bug, where they look in the wrong place,
    or use some old Palm API - and I have sent a bug report to the authors
    - but is there any other solution I can look at if they are
    unresponsive?

    Two solutions I can think of are:
    - rename the newer version to something else - that works if I can
    configure the buggy apps to tell them the name of the program I want,
    or
    - I think you can edit the rom and remove things? So I could remove
    the old version and presumably the would find the new one. But editing
    the rom sounds a little scary to me - after all, rom means READ ONLY
    . Is this easier than I think?

    Any other ideas? Some of the small vendors don't necessarily care, or
    no longer support their apps.

    Thanks
    Dan

  2. Re: Some apps launch the old, rom version of other apps

    In article <55da44c9-edc2-4462-b753-b5959941ffd6
    @f40g2000pri.googlegroups.com>, subs@kronhead.com says...
    > I am using a Treo 755p. I have two apps that launch the old rom
    > version of some other apps, rather than the newer software versions.
    > (The new software versions were installed before these apps that work
    > improperly.) I assume it is a bug, where they look in the wrong place,
    > or use some old Palm API - and I have sent a bug report to the authors
    > - but is there any other solution I can look at if they are
    > unresponsive?
    >
    > Two solutions I can think of are:
    > - rename the newer version to something else - that works if I can
    > configure the buggy apps to tell them the name of the program I want,
    > or
    > - I think you can edit the rom and remove things? So I could remove
    > the old version and presumably the would find the new one. But editing
    > the rom sounds a little scary to me - after all, rom means READ ONLY
    > . Is this easier than I think?
    >
    > Any other ideas? Some of the small vendors don't necessarily care, or
    > no longer support their apps.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Dan

    Programs in RAM/Internal Memory replace those loaded from ROM/ROM Image.

    That's how updates loaded to RAM/Internal Memory from Palm or anyone
    else work.

    Mainly, your post does not make any sence.

    What old ROM apps?

  3. Re: Some apps launch the old, rom version of other apps

    Maybe I am misunderstanding what is happening.

    The Treo comes with pocket-tunes. I don't remember exactly what
    version, but I have certainly installed a newer version. I am testing
    a utility called Colauncher, that allows quick access to applications
    - you invoke Colauncher, and hit a letter key that you have assigned
    to an application. I have P assigned to pocket-tunes, in the
    colauncher config page. When I hit P, I do NOT get the latest version
    of Pocket-tunes. I get an older version, which I have assumed is the
    one that came with the Treo, in Rom. I would have to remove the
    version I installed to confirm that, but that's the only way I can see
    there being two versions.

    Similarly, I have an app called TryDA, a directory assistance lookup.
    When it has found an entry online, one of the options is "map" - when
    I invoke that, it launches Googlemaps V1.2. I have installed GM V2,
    and thats what I get when I launch it by itself - but that's not the
    one that TryDA finds. Now, in this case, I probably did install GM V2
    *after* I installed TryDA, so maybe it has the old memory location
    stored some way - altho it seems strange that it would do that. But I
    certainly can try re-installing TryDA.

    Does that makes more sense? You say installed programs "replace" those
    in ROM - but they are still physically there, aren't they? They cannot
    physically over-write ROM that easily. After all, if you REMOVE an
    installed app that REPLACED a ROM app, the ROM app comes back, I
    think. I know Pocket-tunes says you can try their enhanced version -
    if you decided you don't want to pay for it, delete it, and you will
    get the default installed version back.

    Dan

    On Oct 14, 5:40*pm, Jim Anderson
    wrote:

    > Programs in RAM/Internal Memory replace those loaded from ROM/ROM Image.
    >
    > That's how updates loaded to RAM/Internal Memory from Palm or anyone
    > else work.
    >
    > Mainly, your post does not make any sence.
    >
    > What old ROM apps?

  4. Re: Some apps launch the old, rom version of other apps

    Rereading you note, I guess you are saying that programs may be stored
    in ROM, but they don't RUN from there - they are copied into RAM - at
    bootup? So there cannot be 2 versions of the same program in RAM.
    Hmmm ... I am really just reporting what I am seeing - not at all sure
    HOW it is happening.

    I just launched Google maps from Colauncher - optoions/about says
    version 1.1.2. When I did Info/versions form the app manager, it said
    Googlemaps was 2.0.2.0. I should add that CoLauncher only shows me one
    version when I configure it - but it does not display the version.
    TryDA has no config screen.

    As I said originally, I assume these are bugs in the these 2 apps - I
    am just trying to see if there is a way around it.

    I did a quick search and found that Jacksprat supposedly lets you
    remove programs from ROM - I will do more research, but that is the
    kind of thing I was thinking about.

    Dan

    > On Oct 14, 5:40*pm, Jim Anderson
    > wrote:
    >

    > > Programs in RAM/Internal Memory replace those loaded from ROM/ROM Image..

    > > That's how updates loaded to RAM/Internal Memory from Palm or anyone
    > > else work.

    > > Mainly, your post does not make any sence.

    > > What old ROM apps?

  5. Re: Some apps launch the old, rom version of other apps

    In article <48329b90-b626-4c63-aaa8-
    abf5aa9f411d@q26g2000prq.googlegroups.com>, subs@kronhead.com says...

    > > On Oct 14, 5:40*pm, Jim Anderson
    > > wrote:
    > >

    > > > Programs in RAM/Internal Memory replace those loaded from ROM/ROM Image.

    > > > That's how updates loaded to RAM/Internal Memory from Palm or anyone
    > > > else work.

    > > > Mainly, your post does not make any sence.

    > > > What old ROM apps?

    > Rereading you note, I guess you are saying that programs may be stored
    > in ROM, but they don't RUN from there - they are copied into RAM - at
    > bootup? So there cannot be 2 versions of the same program in RAM.
    > Hmmm ... I am really just reporting what I am seeing - not at all sure
    > HOW it is happening.
    >
    > I just launched Google maps from Colauncher - optoions/about says
    > version 1.1.2. When I did Info/versions form the app manager, it said
    > Googlemaps was 2.0.2.0. I should add that CoLauncher only shows me one
    > version when I configure it - but it does not display the version.
    > TryDA has no config screen.
    >
    > As I said originally, I assume these are bugs in the these 2 apps - I
    > am just trying to see if there is a way around it.
    >
    > I did a quick search and found that Jacksprat supposedly lets you
    > remove programs from ROM - I will do more research, but that is the
    > kind of thing I was thinking about.
    >
    > Dan

    Jacksprat does not work with NVFS (Non-Volital File System) Palm OS
    devices, is no longer being sold or supported.

    Some trueisms about your Palm OS phone;
    - At 'Hard Reset' that wipes the RAM/internal memory, is when the OS is
    decomressed from ROM storage, into RAM/Internal memory, then boots the
    OS.
    - A normal Reset is like rebooting your PC, drivers/hooks to the system
    are loaded that are stored in RAM/internal memory.
    - Only programs stored in RAM/Internal memory, can be assigned to
    buttons, called by other programs or hook into the system.

    I don't know anything about your programs, but I am positive they have
    install instructions and what to do with the old versions.

  6. Re: Some apps launch the old, rom version of other apps

    While idly stirring the alphabet soup, Jim Anderson
    found this in
    news:MPG.236057e353549cf89896ba@news.frontiernet.n et:

    > In article <48329b90-b626-4c63-aaa8-
    > abf5aa9f411d@q26g2000prq.googlegroups.com>, subs@kronhead.com
    > says...

    > ge.

    >> Rereading you note, I guess you are saying that programs may be
    >> stored in ROM, but they don't RUN from there - they are copied
    >> into RAM - at bootup? So there cannot be 2 versions of the same
    >> program in RAM. Hmmm ... I am really just reporting what I am
    >> seeing - not at all sure HOW it is happening.
    >>
    >> I just launched Google maps from Colauncher - optoions/about says
    >> version 1.1.2. When I did Info/versions form the app manager, it
    >> said Googlemaps was 2.0.2.0. I should add that CoLauncher only
    >> shows me one version when I configure it - but it does not
    >> display the version. TryDA has no config screen.
    >>
    >> As I said originally, I assume these are bugs in the these 2 apps
    >> - I am just trying to see if there is a way around it.
    >>
    >> I did a quick search and found that Jacksprat supposedly lets you
    >> remove programs from ROM - I will do more research, but that is
    >> the kind of thing I was thinking about.
    >>
    >> Dan

    > Jacksprat does not work with NVFS (Non-Volital File System) Palm
    > OS devices, is no longer being sold or supported.
    >
    > Some trueisms about your Palm OS phone;
    > - At 'Hard Reset' that wipes the RAM/internal memory, is when the
    > OS is decomressed from ROM storage, into RAM/Internal memory, then
    > boots the OS.
    > - A normal Reset is like rebooting your PC, drivers/hooks to the
    > system are loaded that are stored in RAM/internal memory.
    > - Only programs stored in RAM/Internal memory, can be assigned to
    > buttons, called by other programs or hook into the system.
    >
    > I don't know anything about your programs, but I am positive they
    > have install instructions and what to do with the old versions.

    I have the same problem, but with different apps. My T|C came with an
    old version of Docs To Go in ROM. I installed v10 in RAM.

    If I tap Docs To Go in the Palm launcher I get the new version. But
    if I try to use Palm Commander Button Launcher (another press-the-
    hardbutton-multiple-times-to-launch-apps type launcher), it doesn't
    see the RAM version, just the ROM version.

    Apps in RAM are supposed to take precedence over ones in ROM, so I
    don't know why this quick launcher doesn't work that way.

    By the way, the T|C does not have NVFS so the issue is not related to
    that.

    Steve

    --
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity.
    Lick it once and you suck forever.

  7. Re: Some apps launch the old, rom version of other apps

    Thanks - at least I know I am not imagining this! Have you asked the
    developer of Palm Commander about it?

    It looks like Jacksprat is gone, but I found some discussions about
    Romedit. But they are all pretty old. I just wish the developers would
    fix their launchers! The good thing about Palms is all the software
    available - the bad thing is that a lot of the developers disappear or
    stop working on these products.

    Dan

    On Oct 16, 3:28*pm, Scarab1 wrote:

    > I have the same problem, but with different apps. My T|C came with an
    > old version of Docs To Go in ROM. I installed v10 in RAM.
    >
    > If I tap Docs To Go in the Palm launcher I get the new version. But
    > if I try to use Palm Commander Button Launcher (another press-the-
    > hardbutton-multiple-times-to-launch-apps type launcher), it doesn't
    > see the RAM version, just the ROM version.
    >
    > Apps in RAM are supposed to take precedence over ones in ROM, so I
    > don't know why this quick launcher doesn't work that way.
    >
    > By the way, the T|C does not have NVFS so the issue is not related to
    > that.
    >
    > Steve
    >
    > --
    > Beware the lollipop of mediocrity.
    > Lick it once and you suck forever.

  8. Re: Some apps launch the old, rom version of other apps

    Two updates:

    I heard from the developers of Colauncher, and they said they think
    "the problem is that there are two apps of the same app creator ID
    present. I belive this scenario is supposed not to happen in Palm OS,
    that's why developers must use unique creator ID for each app." They
    said they would file it for possible fix in a future version.

    I also checked into the 2nd instance I was having of this problem -
    TryDA (a directory assistance program) launching the wrong version of
    GoogleMaps. They had a work around - they said to put a copy of the
    newer version of GM on the SD card - they had changed their code (I
    guess) to look there first, so it would launch the right version. I
    suggested that fix to the colauncher people.

    Dan

+ Reply to Thread