TX replacement screen success story - Palmtop

This is a discussion on TX replacement screen success story - Palmtop ; On Oct 13, 7:18*pm, D wrote: > On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 10:29:59 -0700 (PDT), MPSAN > wrote: > > > > >Thanks again Toby. I just now got my ship notice from PDAPARTS and I > >got my torx ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 29 of 29

  1. Re: TX replacement screen success story

    On Oct 13, 7:18*pm, D wrote:
    > On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 10:29:59 -0700 (PDT), MPSAN
    > wrote:
    >

    > >Thanks again Toby. I just now got my ship notice from PDAPARTS and I
    > >got my torx set. Now I only need to be sure the case opens without
    > >breaking the clips and I remove the foil from the correct end. *:-)

    > If you still have your reciept from sears, take it back. *I just got a
    > replacement digi from PDAParts 3 weeks ago and it came with a tool kit
    > that included the torx, and a tool to help with the case.
    >
    > A few words of advice: *My TX had a thin, clear plastic sheet (like
    > you would use on an overhead projector) instead of the foil. *It can
    > just be lifted.
    >
    > Second: *after removing the screws, and your stylus, make sure you are
    > prying the back of the case, not the front. *the front is harder to
    > open, and not needed.
    >
    > Lastly: * When you take it all apart, and put it back together, don't
    > be surprised if it won't turn on. * Mine didn't. * after getting that
    > Oh Sh!t feeling, and searching the internet for a while, and taking it
    > apart three more times to check my connections, I finally found a site
    > that said to plug it into the wall and then try to turn it on. *I did
    > that, still no help. * found another site that said before you panic,
    > de-solder the battery from the motherboard, wait about 20 seconds, and
    > then put it back. * Did that, and everything worked great. *(although
    > if I had known I would be taking off the battery anyway, I would have
    > sprung for the upgraded battery.... *)

    Thank you. We did get the PA1693, but there were no tools included. I
    am going to try and do the replacement today! I hope ours has that
    thin film as well. The video shows the guy having a struggle with the
    foil. Not sure if he took it all off or just pulled it back. If it was
    not removed, I wonder if it held the LCD and digitizer together so it
    would be hard to pry them apart.

    Thank you again...I'm Goin in! :-)

  2. Re: TX replacement screen success story

    On Oct 13, 7:18*pm, D wrote:
    > On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 10:29:59 -0700 (PDT), MPSAN
    > wrote:
    >

    > >Thanks again Toby. I just now got my ship notice from PDAPARTS and I
    > >got my torx set. Now I only need to be sure the case opens without
    > >breaking the clips and I remove the foil from the correct end. *:-)

    > If you still have your reciept from sears, take it back. *I just got a
    > replacement digi from PDAParts 3 weeks ago and it came with a tool kit
    > that included the torx, and a tool to help with the case.
    >
    > A few words of advice: *My TX had a thin, clear plastic sheet (like
    > you would use on an overhead projector) instead of the foil. *It can
    > just be lifted.
    >
    > Second: *after removing the screws, and your stylus, make sure you are
    > prying the back of the case, not the front. *the front is harder to
    > open, and not needed.
    >
    > Lastly: * When you take it all apart, and put it back together, don't
    > be surprised if it won't turn on. * Mine didn't. * after getting that
    > Oh Sh!t feeling, and searching the internet for a while, and taking it
    > apart three more times to check my connections, I finally found a site
    > that said to plug it into the wall and then try to turn it on. *I did
    > that, still no help. * found another site that said before you panic,
    > de-solder the battery from the motherboard, wait about 20 seconds, and
    > then put it back. * Did that, and everything worked great. *(although
    > if I had known I would be taking off the battery anyway, I would have
    > sprung for the upgraded battery.... *)

    UPDATE...all is working fine. Only slowdown was getting the Digi cable
    into the socket. It is so small and I needed a tweezer to get it in
    and close the top cap/lever. I also did have the foil so had to get
    that somewhat removed. Mine came on after all of this so I did not
    have to do anything with the battery. I wish I had thought to get a
    new one while I was at it!

  3. Re: TX replacement screen success story

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 16:23:18 -0700 (PDT), MPSAN
    wrote:

    >On Oct 13, 7:18*pm, D wrote:
    >> On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 10:29:59 -0700 (PDT), MPSAN
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >> >Thanks again Toby. I just now got my ship notice from PDAPARTS and I
    >> >got my torx set. Now I only need to be sure the case opens without
    >> >breaking the clips and I remove the foil from the correct end. *:-)

    >> If you still have your reciept from sears, take it back. *I just got a
    >> replacement digi from PDAParts 3 weeks ago and it came with a tool kit
    >> that included the torx, and a tool to help with the case.
    >>
    >> A few words of advice: *My TX had a thin, clear plastic sheet (like
    >> you would use on an overhead projector) instead of the foil. *It can
    >> just be lifted.
    >>
    >> Second: *after removing the screws, and your stylus, make sure you are
    >> prying the back of the case, not the front. *the front is harder to
    >> open, and not needed.
    >>
    >> Lastly: * When you take it all apart, and put it back together, don't
    >> be surprised if it won't turn on. * Mine didn't. * after getting that
    >> Oh Sh!t feeling, and searching the internet for a while, and taking it
    >> apart three more times to check my connections, I finally found a site
    >> that said to plug it into the wall and then try to turn it on. *I did
    >> that, still no help. * found another site that said before you panic,
    >> de-solder the battery from the motherboard, wait about 20 seconds, and
    >> then put it back. * Did that, and everything worked great. *(although
    >> if I had known I would be taking off the battery anyway, I would have
    >> sprung for the upgraded battery.... *)

    >UPDATE...all is working fine. Only slowdown was getting the Digi cable
    >into the socket. It is so small and I needed a tweezer to get it in
    >and close the top cap/lever. I also did have the foil so had to get
    >that somewhat removed. Mine came on after all of this so I did not
    >have to do anything with the battery. I wish I had thought to get a
    >new one while I was at it!

    Glad to hear it all went well!

  4. Re: TX replacement screen success story

    On 2008-10-19, MPSAN wrote:
    > On Oct 13, 7:18*pm, D wrote:
    >> On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 10:29:59 -0700 (PDT), MPSAN
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >> >Thanks again Toby. I just now got my ship notice from PDAPARTS and I
    >> >got my torx set. Now I only need to be sure the case opens without
    >> >breaking the clips and I remove the foil from the correct end. *:-)

    >> If you still have your reciept from sears, take it back. *I just got a
    >> replacement digi from PDAParts 3 weeks ago and it came with a tool kit
    >> that included the torx, and a tool to help with the case.
    >>
    >> A few words of advice: *My TX had a thin, clear plastic sheet (like
    >> you would use on an overhead projector) instead of the foil. *It can
    >> just be lifted.
    >>
    >> Second: *after removing the screws, and your stylus, make sure you are
    >> prying the back of the case, not the front. *the front is harder to
    >> open, and not needed.
    >>
    >> Lastly: * When you take it all apart, and put it back together, don't
    >> be surprised if it won't turn on. * Mine didn't. * after getting that
    >> Oh Sh!t feeling, and searching the internet for a while, and taking it
    >> apart three more times to check my connections, I finally found a site
    >> that said to plug it into the wall and then try to turn it on. *I did
    >> that, still no help. * found another site that said before you panic,
    >> de-solder the battery from the motherboard, wait about 20 seconds, and
    >> then put it back. * Did that, and everything worked great. *(although
    >> if I had known I would be taking off the battery anyway, I would have
    >> sprung for the upgraded battery.... *)

    > UPDATE...all is working fine. Only slowdown was getting the Digi cable
    > into the socket. It is so small and I needed a tweezer to get it in
    > and close the top cap/lever. I also did have the foil so had to get
    > that somewhat removed. Mine came on after all of this so I did not
    > have to do anything with the battery. I wish I had thought to get a
    > new one while I was at it!

    Good news! Glad it worked out for you.
    My original TX battery still lasts yonks anyway.

    --
    -Toby

  5. Re: TX replacement screen success story

    On Oct 19, 11:01*pm, Toby Newman wrote:
    > On 2008-10-19, MPSAN wrote:
    >

    > > On Oct 13, 7:18*pm, D wrote:

    > >> If you still have your reciept from sears, take it back. *I just gota
    > >> replacement digi from PDAParts 3 weeks ago and it came with a tool kit
    > >> that included the torx, and a tool to help with the case.

    > >> A few words of advice: *My TX had a thin, clear plastic sheet (like
    > >> you would use on an overhead projector) instead of the foil. *It can
    > >> just be lifted.

    > >> Second: *after removing the screws, and your stylus, make sure you are
    > >> prying the back of the case, not the front. *the front is harder to
    > >> open, and not needed.

    > >> Lastly: * When you take it all apart, and put it back together, don't
    > >> be surprised if it won't turn on. * Mine didn't. * after getting that
    > >> Oh Sh!t feeling, and searching the internet for a while, and taking it
    > >> apart three more times to check my connections, I finally found a site
    > >> that said to plug it into the wall and then try to turn it on. *I did
    > >> that, still no help. * found another site that said before you panic,
    > >> de-solder the battery from the motherboard, wait about 20 seconds, and
    > >> then put it back. * Did that, and everything worked great. *(although
    > >> if I had known I would be taking off the battery anyway, I would have
    > >> sprung for the upgraded battery.... *)

    > > UPDATE...all is working fine. Only slowdown was getting the Digi cable
    > > into the socket. It is so small and I needed a tweezer to get it in
    > > and close the top cap/lever. I also did have the foil so had to get
    > > that somewhat removed. Mine came on after all of this so I did not
    > > have to do anything with the battery. I wish I had thought to get a
    > > new one while I was at it!

    > Good news! Glad it worked out for you.
    > My original TX battery still lasts yonks anyway.
    >
    > --
    > -Toby
    > Add the word afiduluminag to the subject to circumvent my email filters.

    Thank you Toby and everyone else here. The videos and ideas helped a
    lot.

  6. Re: TX replacement screen success story

    On 2008-10-20, MPSAN wrote:
    > On Oct 19, 11:01*pm, Toby Newman wrote:

    >> > UPDATE...all is working fine. Only slowdown was getting the Digi cable
    >> > into the socket. It is so small and I needed a tweezer to get it in
    >> > and close the top cap/lever. I also did have the foil so had to get
    >> > that somewhat removed. Mine came on after all of this so I did not
    >> > have to do anything with the battery. I wish I had thought to get a
    >> > new one while I was at it!

    >> Good news! Glad it worked out for you.
    >> My original TX battery still lasts yonks anyway.
    >>
    >> --
    >> -Toby
    >> Add the word afiduluminag to the subject to circumvent my email filters.

    > Thank you Toby and everyone else here. The videos and ideas helped a
    > lot.

    The only problem I'm having with my new screen now is that it's too
    sensitive! I gave up using my TX flip screen a while ago because
    1) The spine weakened and snapped
    2) Without a cover, my pocket used to polish the screen nicely

    Now I'm finding that my pocket is creating and deleting all sorts of
    appointments for me, but replacement TX flip covers are really
    expensive!

    --
    -Toby

  7. Re: TX replacement screen success story

    In article ,
    Toby Newman wrote:

    > ...but replacement TX flip covers are really
    > expensive!

    UsedPDAParts.com has them for $7.

    http://www.usedpdaparts.com/Accessories.html

    I've no complaints about the one I got from them at that price.

    --
    Our enemies shall talk themselves to death, and
    we will bury them with their own confusion.

  8. Re: TX replacement screen success story

    On 2008-10-22, Bob Blaylock wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Toby Newman wrote:
    >
    >> ...but replacement TX flip covers are really
    >> expensive!

    > UsedPDAParts.com has them for $7.
    >
    > http://www.usedpdaparts.com/Accessories.html
    >
    > I've no complaints about the one I got from them at that price.

    That is a great price! Too bad about the $30 shipping to the UK

    --
    -Toby

  9. Re: TX replacement screen success story

    In article ,
    Toby Newman wrote:

    > On 2008-10-22, Bob Blaylock wrote:
    > > In article ,
    > > Toby Newman wrote:
    > >
    > >> ...but replacement TX flip covers are really
    > >> expensive!

    > > UsedPDAParts.com has them for $7.
    > >
    > > http://www.usedpdaparts.com/Accessories.html
    > >
    > > I've no complaints about the one I got from them at that price.

    > That is a great price! Too bad about the $30 shipping to the UK

    Well, that's what you get for living on the wrong continent.