No News? Please Ignore This Message - Palmtop

This is a discussion on No News? Please Ignore This Message - Palmtop ; I have not received any messages in this news group for many days. I am therefore sending this as a test message to check that everything is working. I apologise for wasting your time and bandwidth. Harold Fuchs London, England...

  1. No News? Please Ignore This Message

    I have not received any messages in this news group for many days. I am
    therefore sending this as a test message to check that everything is
    working.

    I apologise for wasting your time and bandwidth.

    Harold Fuchs
    London, England

  2. Re: No News? Please Ignore This Message

    In article , "Harold Fuchs" writes:
    >I have not received any messages in this news group for many days. I am
    >therefore sending this as a test message to check that everything is
    >working.

    Received here in Freiburg, Germany...

    Regards,
    Christoph Gartmann

    --
    Max-Planck-Institut fuer Phone : +49-761-5108-464 Fax: -80464
    Immunbiologie

  3. Re: No News? Please Ignore This Message

    Zombie Elvis wrote:

    >I've had mixed results with these types of hotspots. Some load just
    >fine, others don't.

    Yep. I was hoping for a software solution. Probably none.

    > I have my TX paired with my Treo phone through its
    >Bluetooth connection, so it's not as big a problem for me.

    Not a big problem for me either. My primary use is ebooks in the
    pocket and the TX still works better than anything on the market for
    that. If I can't log on, I just read a book...

  4. Re: No News? Please Ignore This Message

    Zombie Elvis wrote:

    >but the truth is that cell phones are ubiquitous now and can perform
    >the same tasks as an unconnected PDA.

    One thing the TX still does better is the screen. Most cell phones are
    too small and with poor resolution. If you want to view photos, watch
    movies, or read ebooks that counts. But I suppose most people don't
    want to spend the big bux or carry two units just for that...

    >The bottom line is that no matter how hard Palm tried, the PDA market
    >has been assimilated by the cell phone market.

    I wonder how the dark side is doing? Are the Windows handhelds still
    selling? While I still see some Palms for sale in the big box stores,
    I haven't seen a Windows model of any make for awhile.

    >My TX feels pretty snappy to me.

    Mine's quick too. Maybe the guy has a software issue.

  5. Re: No News? Please Ignore This Message

    "Harold Fuchs" writes:

    > I have not received any messages in this news group for many days. I am
    > therefore sending this as a test message to check that everything is
    > working.

    A demon subscriber, perhaps? There seem to be significant issues with
    demon's news server.

  6. Re: No News? Please Ignore This Message

    Bruce Stephens wrote:

    >"Harold Fuchs" writes:
    >
    >> I have not received any messages in this news group for many days. I am
    >> therefore sending this as a test message to check that everything is
    >> working.

    >A demon subscriber, perhaps? There seem to be significant issues with
    >demon's news server.

    There are several free news servers. I use a paid one, but I keep a
    couple free ones handy just to check when I suspect my posts aren't
    being propagated. It would work also work to check if the dead
    newsgroup was just on your server, or really a dead newsgroup.
    Question is can you receive this. Won't help otherwise...

  7. Re: No News? Please Ignore This Message

    "Bruce Stephens" wrote in message
    > "Harold Fuchs" writes:
    >
    >> I have not received any messages in this news group for many days. I am
    >> therefore sending this as a test message to check that everything is
    >> working.

    > A demon subscriber, perhaps? There seem to be significant issues with
    > demon's news server.

    To Bruce Stephens,

    Demon claims to have fixed this but I still don't get messages in this
    group. Are you getting them now?

    Harold Fuchs
    London, England

  8. Re: No News? Please Ignore This Message

    "Harold Fuchs" wrote:

    >Demon claims to have fixed this but I still don't get messages in this
    >group. Are you getting them now?

    If you subscribe to one of the free Usnet servers (as a backup), you
    can check for yourself anytime you suspect problems with the Demon
    text groups. One I use (as a backup) is nntp.aioe.org which requires
    no signup, username or password. Just log on and use it. Another is
    free-text.usenetserver.com but this one is read only.

+ Reply to Thread