Address book capacity or amount of memory per entry - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Address book capacity or amount of memory per entry - Palmtop ; I am working on a project that would add a shared database of contacts to a variety of handhelds. After searching this forum and others I can see that the address book capacity seems dependent on the onboard memory. Can ...

  1. Address book capacity or amount of memory per entry

    I am working on a project that would add a shared database of contacts
    to a variety of handhelds.

    After searching this forum and others I can see that the address book
    capacity seems dependent on the onboard memory.

    Can any tell me or direct me to an estimate of the amount of handheld
    memory required per contact?

    Ideally, I would like to get the memory per contact and the memory per
    contact w/attached photo.

    right now the database is Name, home address, DOB, notes, and
    User1-3. Adding a photo is kind of pie in the sky considering that I
    don't have the photo files yet, but it seems a natural evolution of my
    project so...

  2. Re: Address book capacity or amount of memory per entry

    In article <86d492ae-21a4-4450-ab34-698d0715fb87
    @r66g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>, cinnamngrl@gmail.com says...
    > I am working on a project that would add a shared database of contacts
    > to a variety of handhelds.
    >
    > After searching this forum and others I can see that the address book
    > capacity seems dependent on the onboard memory.
    >
    > Can any tell me or direct me to an estimate of the amount of handheld
    > memory required per contact?
    >
    > Ideally, I would like to get the memory per contact and the memory per
    > contact w/attached photo.
    >
    > right now the database is Name, home address, DOB, notes, and
    > User1-3. Adding a photo is kind of pie in the sky considering that I
    > don't have the photo files yet, but it seems a natural evolution of my
    > project so...

    PalmŪ Support Knowledge Library article 19008 "Record sizes and limits
    for organizer functions"

  3. Re: Address book capacity or amount of memory per entry

    >I am working on a project that would add a shared database of contacts
    >to a variety of handhelds.
    >
    > After searching this forum and others I can see that the address book
    >capacity seems dependent on the onboard memory.
    >
    >Can any tell me or direct me to an estimate of the amount of handheld
    >memory required per contact?

    Example: my AddressDB.pdb contains 49285 bytes, and there are 436
    entries in it. That makes an average of 113 bytes per contact
    (including the overhead stuff like category names). Considering
    that this Palm has 91 meg free, this gives me room for about 800,000
    addresses, which is a lot more than I'll ever need for personal
    use.

    My smallest individual records have 30 bytes (short name and single
    phone number only). The largest one has 1378 bytes. The second
    largest has 562 bytes, and is the contact entry Palm stuck in for
    themselves. Individual record size does not account for the index
    or other stuff in the file such as the categories. None of these
    entries have photos.

    This does not count such things as AddressCitiesDB.pdb,
    AddressCountriesDB.pdb, etc. for auto-completion (but they are
    *NOT* used for compression - the full state name is still in
    AddressDB.pdb.

    The average is likely affected a LOT by such habits as formatting
    of phone numbers, spelling out vs. abbreviating cities and states,
    storing 9-digit vs. 5-digit zip codes, and just how much info you
    store in a contact entry. You can pretty much assume that for a
    string entry, each byte makes the entry one byte longer. Categories
    take a fixed 4 bits, plus the global table of names which is fixed
    size.

    >Ideally, I would like to get the memory per contact and the memory per
    >contact w/attached photo.

    Most everything is variable-length for a reason. The best you'll
    get is typical values. You can figure that the size of a photo in
    a file and the size of a photo in the record are about the same.

    >right now the database is Name, home address, DOB, notes, and
    >User1-3. Adding a photo is kind of pie in the sky considering that I
    >don't have the photo files yet, but it seems a natural evolution of my
    >project so...

  4. Re: Address book capacity or amount of memory per entry

    On Sep 13, 8:15*pm, gordonb.a7...@burditt.org (Gordon Burditt) wrote:
    > >I am working on a project that would add a shared database of contacts
    > >to a variety of handhelds.

    > > After searching this forum and others I can see that the address book
    > >capacity seems dependent on the onboard memory.

    > >Can any tell me or direct me to an estimate of the amount of handheld
    > >memory required per contact?

    > Example: *my AddressDB.pdb contains 49285 bytes, and there are 436
    > entries in it. *That makes an average of 113 bytes per contact
    > (including the overhead stuff like category names). *Considering
    > that this Palm has 91 meg free, this gives me room for about 800,000
    > addresses, which is a lot more than I'll ever need for personal
    > use.
    >
    > My smallest individual records have 30 bytes (short name and single
    > phone number only). *The largest one has 1378 bytes. *The second
    > largest has 562 bytes, and is the contact entry Palm stuck in for
    > themselves. *Individual record size does not account for the index
    > or other stuff in the file such as the categories. *None of these
    > entries have photos.
    >
    > This does not count such things as AddressCitiesDB.pdb,
    > AddressCountriesDB.pdb, etc. *for auto-completion (but they are
    > *NOT* used for compression - the full state name is still in
    > AddressDB.pdb.
    >
    > The average is likely affected a LOT by such habits as formatting
    > of phone numbers, spelling out vs. *abbreviating cities and states,
    > storing 9-digit vs. 5-digit zip codes, and just how much info you
    > store in a contact entry. *You can pretty much assume that for a
    > string entry, each byte makes the entry one byte longer. *Categories
    > take a fixed 4 bits, plus the global table of names which is fixed
    > size. *
    >
    > >Ideally, I would like to get the memory per contact and the memory per
    > >contact w/attached photo.

    > Most everything is variable-length for a reason. *The best you'll
    > get is typical values. *You can figure that the size of a photo in
    > a file and the size of a photo in the record are about the same.
    >

    > >right now the database is Name, home address, DOB, notes, and
    > >User1-3. * Adding a photo is kind of pie in the sky considering that I
    > >don't have the photo files yet, but it seems a natural evolution of my
    > >project so...- Hide quoted text -

    Thankyou very much. Typical is exactly what I wanted. I just wanted
    some predictive information before I suggested others to add this info
    to their palm.

+ Reply to Thread