Re: Palm to iPhone migration resource - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Re: Palm to iPhone migration resource - Palmtop ; This is the second time I'm sending this. The first time it got wiped from the server within a few minutes. Don't know why. Also, I forgot to add that because the iPhone has no loudspeaker you can't have alarms ...

  1. Re: Palm to iPhone migration resource

    This is the second time I'm sending this. The first time it got wiped from
    the server within a few minutes. Don't know why.

    Also, I forgot to add that because the iPhone has no loudspeaker you can't
    have alarms so you can't have a proper PIM.

    "Harold Fuchs" wrote in message news:...
    > "Jeffrey Kaplan" wrote in message
    > news:0dfoa4tcpfbd4kgmg1pvkbm8l0950tg3d1@gordol.org ...
    >> Previously on comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, Harold Fuchs said:
    >>
    >>> - No Java; Apple won't allow it

    >> Not a problem for me. I have never, ever, found an application on any
    >> platform I've used written in Java that worked well or behaved right.
    >> They've all been incredibly slow, over-large for their functions,
    >> clunky to use, and didn't interact with their host environment well, if
    >> at all.

    > Java allows cross platform development to a much higher level than most
    > other languages. Check out www.styletap.com for just one interesting
    > example. I am not connected with this company in any way; I just want to
    > buy its software from my iPod Touch.
    >

    >>> - No Flash; Apple won't allow it.

    >> What's it needed for? With no Flash, that also means none of those
    >> annoying ads in Safari.

    > True no ads but also no "lots of other things"
    >

    >>> - No way to categorise apps on the "desktop" or to put them into folders

    >> I stopped using categories in my Palm launcher a year ago. There are
    >> no categories for shortcuts on my desktop, either.

    > On your desktop you can make folders of similar applications - games,
    > share analysis programs, dictionaries, ...
    >

    >>> - WiFi not properly implemented - can't find an already paired but
    >>> hidden
    >>> network

    >> I haven't tried since I don't know of any hidden networks, but have you
    >> tried using the "Other" entry? It's there specifically so you can
    >> manually join a network that isn't listed. If someone is not
    >> broadcasting the SSID, they're doing it for a reason.

    > The idea is that once a network is known it is findable without it having
    > to braodcast its SSID. Just like my WiFi notebook find my router; I have
    > to supply the password but not the network details.
    >

    >>> - No "serious" apps that don't rely on a Wifi connection to the
    >>> web/internet

    >> Please explain what a '"serious' app' is.

    > For years on my Palm I have been able to create, edit and read Word and
    > Excel documents and to synchronise them freely between the Palm and my PC.
    > This software "came in the box" with my Palm; yes I have upgraded it a
    > couple of times over the years but the basic application came with the
    > device.
    >
    > My Psion had a built-in database manager. I can get free DBMs for the Palm
    > (ThinkDB for example) and any number of non-free DBMs. Can I
    > create/edit/sync a database to my iTouch?
    >
    > Can't use the iTouch as a storage device.
    >
    > Offline maps with [homemade]overlays
    >
    > News Groups
    >
    > The only way to make the iTouch useful is to "jailbreak" it. Apple's
    > restrictive practices won't allow application development that doesn't use
    > its SDK.
    >

    >>> - No way to put e-mails into folders unless the folders are already
    >>> defined
    >>> on Outlook/Mac

    >> I assume you're referring to an IMAP account. Why are you trying to
    >> use the iPhone as your primary email client? Why don't you already
    >> have your folders configured?

    > Just my Googlemail account which I read with Thunderbird (no Sync to
    > iTouch) or with a web browesr depending on where I am; again no Sync. Why
    > do I have to depend on something like Outlook? Making folders isn't
    > exactly hard. If I could sync, Synchronisation is a two way street - what
    > I create on the PC goes to the iTouch and what I create on the iTouch goes
    > to the PC. Except I can't create anything on the iTouch. It's just shoddy
    > thinking.
    >

    >>> - Cannot copy *individual* photos from iTunes; must "sync" and entire
    >>> folder

    >> Or collections from Photoshop Elements or iPhoto.

    > Sorry, I don't understand this comment.
    >

    > Sorry for the delay in responding ...
    >
    > Regards, Harold

  2. Re: Palm to iPhone migration resource

    > This is the second time I'm sending this. The first time it got wiped from
    > the server within a few minutes. Don't know why.
    >
    > Also, I forgot to add that because the iPhone has no loudspeaker you can't
    > have alarms so you can't have a proper PIM.

    Whooops: should have said "iTouch". Of course the iPhone has a loudspeaker.
    Sorry.

> [...]

    >> The only way to make the iTouch useful is to "jailbreak" it. Apple's
    >> restrictive practices won't allow application development that doesn't
    >> use its SDK.

    >>> I assume you're referring to an IMAP account. Why are you trying to
    >>> use the iPhone as your primary email client? Why don't you already
    >>> have your folders configured?

    >> Just my Googlemail account which I read with Thunderbird (no Sync to
    >> iTouch) or with a web browesr depending on where I am; again no Sync. Why
    >> do I have to depend on something like Outlook? Making folders isn't
    >> exactly hard. If I could sync, Synchronisation is a two way street - what
    >> I create on the PC goes to the iTouch and what I create on the iTouch
    >> goes to the PC. Except I can't create anything on the iTouch. It's just
    >> shoddy thinking.

    >>> Or collections from Photoshop Elements or iPhoto.

  3. Re: Palm to iPhone migration resource

    In article news:, Harold Fuchs
    wrote:
    > ... because the iPhone has no loudspeaker ...

    What? It's a phone that can't ring?

    I am *sure* you must be mistaken.

    Cheers,
    Daniel.

  4. Re: Palm to iPhone migration resource

    "Daniel James" wrote in message
    > In article news:, Harold Fuchs
    > wrote:
    >> ... because the iPhone has no loudspeaker ...

    > What? It's a phone that can't ring?
    >
    > I am *sure* you must be mistaken.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Daniel.

    Yes, I meant iTouch; I noticed just after hitting "Send" and sent another
    immediately apologising but it must have crossed yours in the post.

    Regards, Harold

+ Reply to Thread