Desktop 4.0 - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Desktop 4.0 - Palmtop ; I've got a Handspring Visor Platinum that has all of my info on it. I just purchased an iMac with OSX. From what Palmsource says, I need Desktop version 4 for the Mac, but when I downloaded 4.0 it has ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

  1. Desktop 4.0

    I've got a Handspring Visor Platinum that has all of my info on it. I
    just purchased an iMac with OSX. From what Palmsource says, I need
    Desktop version 4 for the Mac, but when I downloaded 4.0 it has an
    error which the knowledgebase article says is missing files, and the
    solution is to reinstall from the CD, which I don't have. There are
    plenty of software CD's on eBay, but they are specified by the Palm
    model, and don't indicate which Desktop software they contain. What
    version of a Palm would have the 4.0 software I need? I've seen M500,
    Treo 650, Zire, Centro and Tungsten?

    TIA, Marty

  2. Re: Desktop 4.0

    "Martin Bose" wrote in message
    > I've got a Handspring Visor Platinum that has all of my info on it. I
    > just purchased an iMac with OSX. From what Palmsource says, I need
    > Desktop version 4 for the Mac, but when I downloaded 4.0 it has an
    > error which the knowledgebase article says is missing files, and the
    > solution is to reinstall from the CD, which I don't have. There are
    > plenty of software CD's on eBay, but they are specified by the Palm
    > model, and don't indicate which Desktop software they contain. What
    > version of a Palm would have the 4.0 software I need? I've seen M500,
    > Treo 650, Zire, Centro and Tungsten?
    >
    > TIA, Marty

    Desktop 4.0.1 and Hotsync Manager 4.0 came together on the CD that I got
    with my m515 which I bought in March 2003. As far as I remember all the 5xx
    machines used the same PC (and therefore Mac ??) software. So I think that
    if you get something for one of those machines you *should* be OK.

    HTH.
    Harold Fuchs
    London, England

  3. Re: Desktop 4.0

    In article , Harold Fuchs
    wrote:

    > "Martin Bose" wrote in message
    > > I've got a Handspring Visor Platinum that has all of my info on it. I
    > > just purchased an iMac with OSX. From what Palmsource says, I need
    > > Desktop version 4 for the Mac, but when I downloaded 4.0 it has an
    > > error which the knowledgebase article says is missing files, and the
    > > solution is to reinstall from the CD, which I don't have. There are
    > > plenty of software CD's on eBay, but they are specified by the Palm
    > > model, and don't indicate which Desktop software they contain. What
    > > version of a Palm would have the 4.0 software I need? I've seen M500,
    > > Treo 650, Zire, Centro and Tungsten?
    > >
    > > TIA, Marty

    > Desktop 4.0.1 and Hotsync Manager 4.0 came together on the CD that I got
    > with my m515 which I bought in March 2003. As far as I remember all the 5xx
    > machines used the same PC (and therefore Mac ??) software. So I think that
    > if you get something for one of those machines you *should* be OK.
    >
    > HTH.
    > Harold Fuchs
    > London, England

    Harold, thanks for the response! I obtained an M500 installation disk,
    but found out that I had asked the wrong question. That's because when
    I clicked on the software installer on the disk, it came back and said
    that it couldn't be opened because the Classic interface is no longer
    supported.

    So now I guess my question is this: What version of a Palm would have
    the 4.0 software I need WITH AN INSTALLER THAT CAN BE RUN ON A SYSTEM
    WITH OS-X 10.5.4? I've seen M500, Treo 650, Zire, Centro and Tungsten?

    Marty

  4. Re: Desktop 4.0

    In article <090720081403551543%martyb@sonic.net>,
    Martin Bose wrote:

    > In article , Harold Fuchs
    > wrote:
    >
    > > "Martin Bose" wrote in message
    > > > I've got a Handspring Visor Platinum that has all of my info on it. I
    > > > just purchased an iMac with OSX. From what Palmsource says, I need
    > > > Desktop version 4 for the Mac, but when I downloaded 4.0 it has an
    > > > error which the knowledgebase article says is missing files, and the
    > > > solution is to reinstall from the CD, which I don't have. There are
    > > > plenty of software CD's on eBay, but they are specified by the Palm
    > > > model, and don't indicate which Desktop software they contain. What
    > > > version of a Palm would have the 4.0 software I need? I've seen M500,
    > > > Treo 650, Zire, Centro and Tungsten?
    > > >
    > > > TIA, Marty

    > > Desktop 4.0.1 and Hotsync Manager 4.0 came together on the CD that I got
    > > with my m515 which I bought in March 2003. As far as I remember all the 5xx
    > > machines used the same PC (and therefore Mac ??) software. So I think that
    > > if you get something for one of those machines you *should* be OK.
    > >
    > > HTH.
    > > Harold Fuchs
    > > London, England

    > Harold, thanks for the response! I obtained an M500 installation disk,
    > but found out that I had asked the wrong question. That's because when
    > I clicked on the software installer on the disk, it came back and said
    > that it couldn't be opened because the Classic interface is no longer
    > supported.
    >
    > So now I guess my question is this: What version of a Palm would have
    > the 4.0 software I need WITH AN INSTALLER THAT CAN BE RUN ON A SYSTEM
    > WITH OS-X 10.5.4? I've seen M500, Treo 650, Zire, Centro and Tungsten?
    >
    > Marty

    Have your look at this information?

    http://www.palm.com/us/support/palmdesktop.html
    http://www.palm.com/us/support/macintosh/

    Personally, I have not tried using iSync, as I still have an eMac G4
    running Tiger and the downloaded Palm Desktop works perfectly on that
    computer. I think the Palm Desktop version I am using is 4.2.1, with a
    Palm Tungsten C.

    --
    I do the best I can, but I could be wrong.
    please post reply to newsgroup.

  5. Re: Desktop 4.0

    In article , Russell
    E. Owen wrote:

    > In article , David wrote:
    >
    > > http://www.palm.com/us/support/palmdesktop.html
    > > http://www.palm.com/us/support/macintosh/
    > >
    > > Personally, I have not tried using iSync, as I still have an eMac G4
    > > running Tiger and the downloaded Palm Desktop works perfectly on that
    > > computer. I think the Palm Desktop version I am using is 4.2.1, with a
    > > Palm Tungsten C.

    > Another option is Missing Sync for PalmOS. It costs $40 or so, but has a
    > trial period. Read the reviews at versiontracker or macupdate and you'll
    > see that some folks find it works fine and others have problems. Those
    > with problems often complain about the tech support.

    Unfortunately it appears that Missing Sync isn't an option for me, as
    it specifically states that it is for Palm OS 4 & 5; my Visor is OS 3.

    Marty

  6. Re: Desktop 4.0

    Russell E. Owen wrote:
    > In article , David wrote:

    [cuuuut]

    > (And if you mainly want backup, consider buying a program that lets you
    > back up to an SD card and not syncing at all, and then keeping the SD
    > card in a safe location.)

    And how will he get it installed without a sync tool?

  7. Re: Desktop 4.0

    Martin Bose wrote:
    > In article , Russell
    > E. Owen wrote:
    >
    >> In article , David wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://www.palm.com/us/support/palmdesktop.html
    >>> http://www.palm.com/us/support/macintosh/
    >>>
    >>> Personally, I have not tried using iSync, as I still have an eMac G4
    >>> running Tiger and the downloaded Palm Desktop works perfectly on that
    >>> computer. I think the Palm Desktop version I am using is 4.2.1, with a
    >>> Palm Tungsten C.

    >> Another option is Missing Sync for PalmOS. It costs $40 or so, but has a
    >> trial period. Read the reviews at versiontracker or macupdate and you'll
    >> see that some folks find it works fine and others have problems. Those
    >> with problems often complain about the tech support.
    >>

    > Unfortunately it appears that Missing Sync isn't an option for me, as
    > it specifically states that it is for Palm OS 4 & 5; my Visor is OS 3.

    Have you considered using some of the open source palm os sync tools?

    Maybe you should follow with time and use a newer device that can indeed be synced with your computer? You upgraded your computer, why not your PDA?

    JonB

  8. Re: Desktop 4.0

    In article ,
    Jon Bendtsen wrote:

    > Russell E. Owen wrote:
    > > In article , David wrote:

    > [cuuuut]
    >
    > > (And if you mainly want backup, consider buying a program that lets you
    > > back up to an SD card and not syncing at all, and then keeping the SD
    > > card in a safe location.)

    > And how will he get it installed without a sync tool?

    Secure File PDA Backup, which I use for creating a backup of my Palm
    Tungsten C, came installed on a Palm compatible memory card. There is
    room on that card for at least 1 back up and I have copied the program
    from the card to the Palm and I can now backup to any compatible memory
    card. This application supports selective backups of files and apps as
    well as complete backups.

    --
    I do the best I can, but I could be wrong.
    please post reply to newsgroup.
    David, Williamsport, PA. USA.
    http://mysite.verizon.net/vzev1hs3/

  9. Re: Desktop 4.0

    On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 08:26:20 -0500, Jon Bendtsen wrote
    (in article ):

    > Maybe you should follow with time and use a newer device that can indeed be
    > synced with your computer? You upgraded your computer, why not your PDA?

    Yeah ... but don't make it a Palm.

    Once you get your data out, run (don't walk) to an Apple Store (or AT&T) and
    take a look at the iPhone 3G.

    I've gone through a III, IIIx, M505, M515, three T5s, three LifeDrives, and a
    TX (which didn't die because by then I had learned to ignored the fact that
    it had a power button after it inevitably died) - and watched Palm dive into
    a self-destructive spiral, first with hardware with fatal flaws then with
    software which never arrived.

    I considered Win Mobile but I'm a Mac user and MS has no interest in selling
    to the Mac market - but then the iPhone 3G arrived.

    This thing is freakin' awesome.

    Finally there is a convergence device which can almost do what my Symbian 60
    smartphones could do an adds a lot of what the Palm can do. You can see it
    evolving day by day as apps are added to the app store.

    And since it's built on MacOS X, its capabilities are pretty incredible.

    A real browser, fast internet, GPS, real email (that works), and real
    enterprise level software. I can VPN into our network through a Cisco
    concentrator and connect via VNC to my Linux servers - using a VNC app whose
    free version showed up four days ago and whose pro version showed up
    yesterday night.

    I've switched my main email repository from Comcast (which only supports
    POP3) to MobileMe (iMap) and now I don't have to double-screen email on both
    my MacBook Pro and my iPhone. Because I use a remailing service (pobox.com),
    it was just a matter to changing the email address target. And my email works
    - there's no VFS/dbcache issues which kill my email (which SnapperMail could
    partially cure but ultimately could not overcome Palm's hardware problems).

    And the user interface is like something out of the next century - it makes
    Palm OS 5 look like a Palm III.

    And yes, there are occasional minor glitches - the apps are 1.0 releases
    after all - but nothing like the battle to keep things running on the Palm.

    I got the 16GB model which gave me room to store my entire iTunes library,
    some music videos, a couple of movies, a large portion (thus far) of my
    ebooks, a few downsampled photo albums, and all my calendars and contacts.
    The phone book transfers seemlessly to my Garmin Nuvi 360 via bluetooth.

    I've retired my Nokia 6682, and have not yet retired my Palm TX since I use
    it for reading MobiPocket books. eReader stuff is on the iPhone now, but I
    still use the TX for night time ereading as I prefer using the navigation key
    to flip pages over the iPhone eReader's page swipe method. But the TX no
    longer leaves the house.

    I'm sure that as time goes on, I'll find something to curse the iPhone for,
    but at the moment I'm a pretty happy camper. Once the bills arrive for the
    complete infrastructure replacement (cradles, car transmitter/charger, iPhone
    clock radio, portable speaker system/charger) I'm sure my enthusiasm will
    dim, but I haven't felt this up on a portable electronic device since before
    my T5 died for the first time.

    -- Verne

  10. Re: Desktop 4.0

    Previously on comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, Verne Arase said:

    > Once you get your data out, run (don't walk) to an Apple Store (or AT&T) and
    > take a look at the iPhone 3G.
    >
    > I've gone through a III, IIIx, M505, M515, three T5s, three LifeDrives, and a
    > TX (which didn't die because by then I had learned to ignored the fact that
    > it had a power button after it inevitably died) - and watched Palm dive into
    > a self-destructive spiral, first with hardware with fatal flaws then with
    > software which never arrived.
    >
    > I considered Win Mobile but I'm a Mac user and MS has no interest in selling
    > to the Mac market - but then the iPhone 3G arrived.
    >
    > This thing is freakin' awesome.
    >
    > Finally there is a convergence device which can almost do what my Symbian 60
    > smartphones could do an adds a lot of what the Palm can do. You can see it
    > evolving day by day as apps are added to the app store.

    However, it appears that syncing data other than contacts notes and
    calendar is problematic. Of the apps that I've seen so far in the app
    store that do interact with the desktop, they do so via WiFi only. I
    do note that I have not looked at everything in there.

    This isn't meant as a cut-down, just a cautionary note in case you're
    interested in syncing things like databases.

    Hopefully, I can pick mine up today.

    > A real browser, fast internet, GPS, real email (that works), and real

    There are a lot of complaints about the email NOT working in the Yahoo
    iPhone group. At least, not working if you only get email on demand.

    > enterprise level software. I can VPN into our network through a Cisco

    MS Word? MS Excel? PDF viewer?

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    Tips for Evil Geniuses: 9. Experimental monster creations will not
    only have one immediately lethal vulnerability only I can exploit, but
    until my Diabolical Plan is ready to implement, they will also have an
    addiction to a material only I can supply, without which they will die
    in a day or two.

  11. Re: Desktop 4.0

    Verne Arase wrote:
> [...]

    > ebooks, a few downsampled photo albums, and all my calendars and contacts.
    > The phone book transfers seemlessly to my Garmin Nuvi 360 via bluetooth.
    >
    > I've retired my Nokia 6682, and have not yet retired my Palm TX since I use
    > it for reading MobiPocket books. eReader stuff is on the iPhone now, but I
    > still use the TX for night time ereading as I prefer using the navigation key
    > to flip pages over the iPhone eReader's page swipe method. But the TX no
    > longer leaves the house.
    >
    > I'm sure that as time goes on, I'll find something to curse the iPhone for,
    > but at the moment I'm a pretty happy camper. Once the bills arrive for the
    > complete infrastructure replacement (cradles, car transmitter/charger, iPhone
    > clock radio, portable speaker system/charger) I'm sure my enthusiasm will
    > dim, but I haven't felt this up on a portable electronic device since before

    I am currently moving from a T3 to an iPhone, and and happy with the
    transition so far. While there are some apps on the T3 that I use that I
    have not yet been able to replace, they are few, relatively minor, and
    such that I have no doubt that an app will be released for them on the
    iPhone. Having a real browser makes it possible to fall back onto such
    things as Google Spreadsheets/Forms for some simple data-driven uses.

    Reading Office documents works very well. Nothing for editing...yet, but
    honestly, I never really edited Office documents on the T3 either. Just
    enough to dabble around and see what it was like.

    What I want to see more than anything else on it will be a smooth way to
    get to my Exchange/Outlook mail. Next would be a way to pair a bluetooth
    keyboard.

    --
    Allan Crowson
    Nortel Risk Management

  12. Re: Desktop 4.0

    Previously on comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, Allan Crowson said:

    > Reading Office documents works very well. Nothing for editing...yet, but

    How? And what about PDF?

    > What I want to see more than anything else on it will be a smooth way to
    > get to my Exchange/Outlook mail. Next would be a way to pair a bluetooth
    > keyboard.

    The iPhone 3G does Exchange, and iTunes (v7.7) claims to be able to
    sync Outlook email on the desktop.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "The Superior Person's Book Of Words", by Peter Bowler:
    DEFENESTRATION: The act of throwing someone or something out of a
    window. A word that is neologism's paradigm and justification. If
    the word were not needed to describe the act, the act would need to be
    performed to justify the word.

  13. Re: Desktop 4.0

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 09:29:25 -0500, Jeffrey Kaplan wrote
    (in article ):

    >> Finally there is a convergence device which can almost do what my Symbian
    >> 60 smartphones could do an adds a lot of what the Palm can do. You can
    >> see it evolving day by day as apps are added to the app store.

    > However, it appears that syncing data other than contacts notes and
    > calendar is problematic. Of the apps that I've seen so far in the app
    > store that do interact with the desktop, they do so via WiFi only. I
    > do note that I have not looked at everything in there.

    Local data transfer is definitely a problem.

    SplashID gets around it by using your local network and that zero config
    protocol to communicate directly between it and your Mac.

    > This isn't meant as a cut-down, just a cautionary note in case you're
    > interested in syncing things like databases.

    There are definitely wrinkles.

    If you have eReader books that aren't on Fictionwise or eReader, you're out
    of luck for the moment. eReader says the next update (slated for later this
    month) will solve this.

    Mobipocket's CEO said they'll be on the iPhone by the end of the year, but
    I'm not holding my breath. They could've produced a Mac client ages ago, but
    never did (and the iPhone is just a little Mac).

    > Hopefully, I can pick mine up today.

    Yowza, that's quick.

    Took me over a year to decide to get one.

    >> A real browser, fast internet, GPS, real email (that works), and real

    > There are a lot of complaints about the email NOT working in the Yahoo
    > iPhone group. At least, not working if you only get email on demand.

    I use MobileMe since I already had a .Mac account.

    >> enterprise level software. I can VPN into our network through a Cisco

    > MS Word? MS Excel? PDF viewer?

    Viewing only.

    I had the pro-level DataViz package, but never had the ambition to modify
    (much less create) a document. Except for gas milage programs and minor
    contact entry, I've always treated these devices as output only.

    If OTOH you're a grafitti whiz and create spreadsheets on the train, you're
    going to be disappointed.

    Funny thing is, I'm actually treating my MobileMe iMap account as a data
    store. Notes, todos, and mail with attachments all go into specially created
    folders there (I've long ago started doing this with my eBook receipts so I
    could track what books I've yet to read).

    And as for push email - I turn it off. Battery life's low enough without
    having the thing constantly awake and chatting with the email server. 3G and
    the GPS also suck power, but the speed and convenience are addicting. (For
    example, my Yellow Pages, Movie, and Weather app all know where I am and
    offer nearby suggtions based on proximity.)

  14. Re: Desktop 4.0

    Previously on comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, Verne Arase said:

    > > However, it appears that syncing data other than contacts notes and
    > > calendar is problematic. Of the apps that I've seen so far in the app

    Notes is a no-go, too. There is no interaction between the Notes app
    on the iPhone and anything else anywhere else.

    > Local data transfer is definitely a problem.
    >
    > SplashID gets around it by using your local network and that zero config
    > protocol to communicate directly between it and your Mac.

    That's what all those that do have a desktop companion do.

    > > Hopefully, I can pick mine up today.

    > Yowza, that's quick.

    Not really. It took a week and a half for something that should have
    taken two business days.

    > Took me over a year to decide to get one.

    I've been looking to replace the Palm for some time. Tried WinMob,
    took a hard look at Blackberry, and didn't like either. Android is
    still vaporware and Symbian is a no-go for me, at least in part because
    it's price-prohibitive. So when iPhone v2 was announced, with the
    availability of add-on apps, I started looking at iPhone.

    > >> A real browser, fast internet, GPS, real email (that works), and real

    > > MS Word? MS Excel? PDF viewer?

    > Viewing only.

    How? How do I get them onto the iPhone and what views them?

    > I had the pro-level DataViz package, but never had the ambition to modify
    > (much less create) a document. Except for gas milage programs and minor
    > contact entry, I've always treated these devices as output only.

    PIM data (contacts, calendar, ToDos and Memos/Notes) and shopping lists
    I maintain from the handheld. Most other things I maintain from the
    desktop.

    > If OTOH you're a grafitti whiz and create spreadsheets on the train, you're
    > going to be disappointed.

    Once I used a keypad on a Treo, I decided I never want to go back to
    handwriting input.

    > And as for push email - I turn it off. Battery life's low enough without
    > having the thing constantly awake and chatting with the email server. 3G and
    > the GPS also suck power, but the speed and convenience are addicting. (For
    > example, my Yellow Pages, Movie, and Weather app all know where I am and
    > offer nearby suggtions based on proximity.)

    No 3G in my area yet, so that's off on my iPhone. I wish there were a
    way to easily toggle "Location Services" off when the app that uses it
    has been closed. Likewise, I want a way to turn on/off Bluetooth
    without having to wade through the Settings.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    Tips for evil cult members: 5. Never invoke anything bigger than your
    head.

  15. Re: Desktop 4.0

    On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 09:45:01 -0500, Jeffrey Kaplan wrote
    (in article ):

    > Previously on comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, Verne Arase said:
    >
    >>> However, it appears that syncing data other than contacts notes and
    >>> calendar is problematic. Of the apps that I've seen so far in the app

    > Notes is a no-go, too. There is no interaction between the Notes app
    > on the iPhone and anything else anywhere else.

    If you have MacOS X Leopard, Notes in your imap-based email server should be
    a natural to you.

    That's what I meant by using an imap folder as a data store - with MobileMe,
    your email, contacts, and calendar (as well as a few other things) are
    available from anywhere in the world (via the web apps).

    >>> MS Word? MS Excel? PDF viewer?

    >> Viewing only.

    > How? How do I get them onto the iPhone and what views them?

    If you have a Mac: http://magnetismstudios.com/FileMagnet/

    This also uses Boujour.

    Otherwise, you have to include it in an email attachment.

    >> And as for push email - I turn it off. Battery life's low enough without
    >> having the thing constantly awake and chatting with the email server. 3G
    >> and the GPS also suck power, but the speed and convenience are addicting.
    >> (For example, my Yellow Pages, Movie, and Weather app all know where I am
    >> and offer nearby suggtions based on proximity.)

    > No 3G in my area yet, so that's off on my iPhone. I wish there were a
    > way to easily toggle "Location Services" off when the app that uses it
    > has been closed. Likewise, I want a way to turn on/off Bluetooth
    > without having to wade through the Settings.

    Yeah, bluetooth is relatively useless on the iPhone (with just HandsFree). I
    hope Apple includes more bluetooth profiles - I'd *really* like to have the
    ability to use the iPhone as a modem.

    After all, every other phone manufacturer seems to allow it.

    It's not like the iPhone data plan is any cheaper than any other
    smartphone/PDA's data plan now.

    -- Verne

  16. Re: Desktop 4.0

    On 2008-07-23, Verne Arase wrote:

    > Funny thing is, I'm actually treating my MobileMe iMap account as a data

    ^^^^
    Gah! Stop that! Not everything that starts with the letter "i" is a
    fscking Apple product and thus subject to their stupid capitilization scheme.
    It's IMAP. See .

    --
    Joshua Baker-LePain
    QB3 Shared Cluster Sysadmin

  17. Re: Desktop 4.0

    Previously on comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, Verne Arase said:

    > If you have MacOS X Leopard, Notes in your imap-based email server should be
    > a natural to you.

    Windows. And why on earth should I have to waste space on my mail
    server for something like this?

    > That's what I meant by using an imap folder as a data store - with MobileMe,
    > your email, contacts, and calendar (as well as a few other things) are
    > available from anywhere in the world (via the web apps).

    My email, contacts and calendar are already available to me from
    anywhere I care to go because I'll have either my smartphone (currently
    an iPhone) or my laptop with me. Why should I pay yet another service?

    > If you have a Mac: http://magnetismstudios.com/FileMagnet/
    > Otherwise, you have to include it in an email attachment.

    Windows. And why on earth should I have to waste even more space on my
    mail server for something like this?

    > Yeah, bluetooth is relatively useless on the iPhone (with just HandsFree). I

    Handsfree (headset/speakerphone) is all I need here.

    > hope Apple includes more bluetooth profiles - I'd *really* like to have the
    > ability to use the iPhone as a modem.

    Might be useful for me, but I'd rather use a cable.

    > After all, every other phone manufacturer seems to allow it.

    Not natively in PalmOS, you have to install commercial software to add
    it.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    Peter's Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord, #195.
    I will not use hostages as bait in a trap. Unless you're going to use
    them for negotiation or as human shields, there's no point in taking
    them.

  18. Re: Desktop 4.0

    On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 14:21:41 -0500, Jeffrey Kaplan wrote
    (in article ):

    > Previously on comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, Verne Arase said:
    >
    >> If you have MacOS X Leopard, Notes in your imap-based email server should
    >> be a natural to you.

    > Windows. And why on earth should I have to waste space on my mail
    > server for something like this?

    Because with an imap server/web server, you can access it from anywhere and
    it's backed up by the service provider.

    MobileMe gives me (I think) 20gb of storage online, to be split up between
    email and files however I want. I believe Google's service also gives you a
    whole bunch of storage (and may be free).

    >> That's what I meant by using an imap folder as a data store - with
    >> MobileMe, your email, contacts, and calendar (as well as a few other
    >> things) are available from anywhere in the world (via the web apps).

    > My email, contacts and calendar are already available to me from
    > anywhere I care to go because I'll have either my smartphone (currently
    > an iPhone) or my laptop with me. Why should I pay yet another service?

    The problem is that pdf and office viewing isn't provided by an application
    (like Documents To Go on the Palm), and thus there is no "data owner" who can
    place the data in a repository and give you access. On the iPhone, the data
    interpreter is probably the ARM equivalent of Quick Look, a facility in MacOS
    X Leopard.

    FileMagnet is simply an iPhone app which provides for Bonjour file transfers
    and it assumes ownership these document types so there's someone to provide
    the viewing environment.

    >> If you have a Mac: http://magnetismstudios.com/FileMagnet/
    >> Otherwise, you have to include it in an email attachment.

    > Windows. And why on earth should I have to waste even more space on my
    > mail server for something like this?

    FileMagnet has nothing to do with your mail server.

    >> hope Apple includes more bluetooth profiles - I'd *really* like to have the
    >> ability to use the iPhone as a modem.

    > Might be useful for me, but I'd rather use a cable.

    I have a cable. What I used to use the cellular network for was backup (in
    case of cable failur) and away-from-home access. (I'm part of the Server
    Group providing 24x7 support for my company.)

    >> After all, every other phone manufacturer seems to allow it.

    > Not natively in PalmOS, you have to install commercial software to add
    > it.

    I doubt a third party included the bluetooth stack or modem firmware.

    Does native the native PalmOS bluetooth stack support the serial or DUN
    profiles?

    -- Verne

    P.S. Something called TouchFS just appeared which appears to be something
    like FileMagnet allowing you to view PDFs, Text files, Image files, and HTML
    files (but curiously not office files). It purports to allow transfers from a
    Mac, WinXP, or Linux computer (but again curiously not Vista). It is,
    however, playing to less than stellar reviews.

  19. Re: Desktop 4.0

    On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 12:53:25 -0500, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote
    (in article ):

    >> Funny thing is, I'm actually treating my MobileMe iMap account as a data

    > ^^^^
    > Gah! Stop that! Not everything that starts with the letter "i" is a
    > fscking Apple product and thus subject to their stupid capitilization scheme.
    > It's IMAP. See .

    Snork.

  20. Re: Desktop 4.0

    Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
    > Previously on comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, Allan Crowson said:
    >
    >> Reading Office documents works very well. Nothing for editing...yet, but

    > How? And what about PDF?

    The iPhone 2.0 software's Mail application reads PDF/Office/iWork
    documents natively (but does not edit). "Out of the box" you have to get
    the document as an email attachment. :-( As others bring out later in
    the thread, 3rd parties are working on other approaches.

    I used to use Documents to Go on the T3, and it was quite interesting,
    but in truth, I had very little reason to edit or create Office-type
    documents on the T3, and I expect the situation will be similar with the
    iPhone. Nonetheless, it would be good to have the capability to edit
    something, just in case.

    >> What I want to see more than anything else on it will be a smooth way to
    >> get to my Exchange/Outlook mail. Next would be a way to pair a bluetooth
    >> keyboard.

    > The iPhone 3G does Exchange, and iTunes (v7.7) claims to be able to
    > sync Outlook email on the desktop.

    Yes, good point, and I will try that, but I really want to be able to
    get to my Exchange data remotely. The idea is not to require my Nortel
    HP or my MacBook in order to keep current with things.

    --
    Allan Crowson
    Nortel Risk Management

+ Reply to Thread