Desktop 4.0 - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Desktop 4.0 - Palmtop ; Previously on comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, Allan Crowson said: > I used to use Documents to Go on the T3, and it was quite interesting, > but in truth, I had very little reason to edit or create Office-type > documents on the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 26 of 26

  1. Re: Desktop 4.0

    Previously on comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, Allan Crowson said:

    > I used to use Documents to Go on the T3, and it was quite interesting,
    > but in truth, I had very little reason to edit or create Office-type
    > documents on the T3, and I expect the situation will be similar with the
    > iPhone. Nonetheless, it would be good to have the capability to edit
    > something, just in case.

    The ability to edit such files is not mission-critical for me, but it
    would be nice.

    > > The iPhone 3G does Exchange, and iTunes (v7.7) claims to be able to
    > > sync Outlook email on the desktop.

    > Yes, good point, and I will try that, but I really want to be able to
    > get to my Exchange data remotely. The idea is not to require my Nortel
    > HP or my MacBook in order to keep current with things.

    I don't use Exchange myself, so I don't know how much the iPhone will
    do, but I do know that when you go to setup an email account, Exchange
    is one of the predefined options. (Also MobileMe, Yahoo, GMail and
    AOL.)

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    Peter's Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord, #197.
    I will explain to my Legions of Terror that guns are ranged weapons
    and swords are not. Anyone who attempts to throw a sword at the hero
    or club him with a gun will be summarily executed.

  2. Re: Desktop 4.0

    In article <0001HW.C4AD0D9E00121636B04379AF@news.giganews.com>, Verne
    Arase wrote:

    > On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 12:53:25 -0500, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote
    > (in article ):
    >
    > >> Funny thing is, I'm actually treating my MobileMe iMap account as a data

    > > ^^^^
    > > Gah! Stop that! Not everything that starts with the letter "i" is a
    > > fscking Apple product and thus subject to their stupid capitilization
    > > scheme.
    > > It's IMAP. See .

    > Snork.

    This has been interesting; too bad it is a complete thread highjack
    from my original posting. At this point it appears that I am SOL as
    far as getting Desktop 4.0 installed on my iMac, which means that I am
    SOL for any kind of a backup for my trusty Visor. I can't go with an
    iPhone, as I have a new 2 year contract with Verizon, so I guess I'll
    just be careful about keeping good batteries in the Visor until
    something new strikes my fancy.

    Marty

  3. Re: Desktop 4.0

    On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 21:04:09 -0500, Martin Bose wrote
    (in article <230720081904091630%martyb@sonic.net>):

    > This has been interesting; too bad it is a complete thread highjack
    > from my original posting. At this point it appears that I am SOL as
    > far as getting Desktop 4.0 installed on my iMac, which means that I am
    > SOL for any kind of a backup for my trusty Visor. I can't go with an
    > iPhone, as I have a new 2 year contract with Verizon, so I guess I'll
    > just be careful about keeping good batteries in the Visor until
    > something new strikes my fancy.

    Sorry ... but my memory gets really foggy past the T5s.

    Does the Visor even have a USB cradle? If not, you'll need a USB<->serial
    bridge.

    Have you tried installing the latest Palm Sync app from Palm to see if it'll
    work? (The latest Mac Palm Sync app is none too late, unfortunately. It's
    actually a mutated contact manager that Apple used to own).

    It should be available for free download at www.palm.com in the support
    section ... just make sure you download a version for MacOS X. It probably
    wouldn't hurt to try it (as long as you set the conduits to overlay the
    desktop before trying a sync).

    Problem is, the Visors were a 3rd party Palm-compatible device whose company
    was started by ex-Palmers. The company was eventually acquired by Palm to get
    the cellphone/PDA hybrids, and Palm just let the non-cellphone Visors
    languish.

    I'm not sure how much the sync protocols changed between models - the Palm
    4.0 Desktop seems to claim Visor compatibility.

    Good luck!

    -- Verne

  4. Re: Desktop 4.0

    On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 16:48:43 -0500, Allan Crowson wrote
    (in article ):

    >> The iPhone 3G does Exchange, and iTunes (v7.7) claims to be able to
    >> sync Outlook email on the desktop.

    > Yes, good point, and I will try that, but I really want to be able to
    > get to my Exchange data remotely. The idea is not to require my Nortel
    > HP or my MacBook in order to keep current with things.

    You'll need the iPhone 2.0 software (which means a 3G or a firmware update),
    but if you go to Settings->Mail, Contacts, Calendars and tap Add Account...
    you'll see the first option is Microsoft Exchange.

    The big addition to 2.0 was enterprise support ... which is how I can now get
    into my enterprise's Cisco VPN.

    The VPN support was almost a side-note though - the big news was Microsoft
    Exchange support.

    -- Verne

  5. Re: Desktop 4.0

    In article <0001HW.C4AD759D00259394B022F9AF@news.giganews.com>, Verne
    Arase wrote:

    > On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 21:04:09 -0500, Martin Bose wrote
    > (in article <230720081904091630%martyb@sonic.net>):
    >
    > > This has been interesting; too bad it is a complete thread highjack
    > > from my original posting. At this point it appears that I am SOL as
    > > far as getting Desktop 4.0 installed on my iMac, which means that I am
    > > SOL for any kind of a backup for my trusty Visor. I can't go with an
    > > iPhone, as I have a new 2 year contract with Verizon, so I guess I'll
    > > just be careful about keeping good batteries in the Visor until
    > > something new strikes my fancy.

    > Sorry ... but my memory gets really foggy past the T5s.
    >
    > Does the Visor even have a USB cradle? If not, you'll need a USB<->serial
    > bridge.
    >
    > Have you tried installing the latest Palm Sync app from Palm to see if it'll
    > work? (The latest Mac Palm Sync app is none too late, unfortunately. It's
    > actually a mutated contact manager that Apple used to own).
    >
    > It should be available for free download at www.palm.com in the support
    > section ... just make sure you download a version for MacOS X. It probably
    > wouldn't hurt to try it (as long as you set the conduits to overlay the
    > desktop before trying a sync).
    >
    > Problem is, the Visors were a 3rd party Palm-compatible device whose company
    > was started by ex-Palmers. The company was eventually acquired by Palm to get
    > the cellphone/PDA hybrids, and Palm just let the non-cellphone Visors
    > languish.
    >
    > I'm not sure how much the sync protocols changed between models - the Palm
    > 4.0 Desktop seems to claim Visor compatibility.
    >
    > Good luck!
    >
    > -- Verne

    The problem I ran into after downloading and installing desktop 4.0 was
    that it still didn't work, giving me an error message that said to
    reload from a CD, because some files were missing. Unfortunately, no
    one has come up with an installer on a CD that will run under OS-X;
    they were meant for the OS 9 emulator (Classic environment), which
    doesn't exist in 10.5.4. For whatever reason, 4.21 doesn't work
    either.

    Marty

  6. Re: Desktop 4.0

    Verne Arase wrote:
    > On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 16:48:43 -0500, Allan Crowson wrote
    > (in article ):
    >
    >>> The iPhone 3G does Exchange, and iTunes (v7.7) claims to be able to
    >>> sync Outlook email on the desktop.

    >> Yes, good point, and I will try that, but I really want to be able to
    >> get to my Exchange data remotely. The idea is not to require my Nortel
    >> HP or my MacBook in order to keep current with things.

    > You'll need the iPhone 2.0 software (which means a 3G or a firmware update),
    > but if you go to Settings->Mail, Contacts, Calendars and tap Add Account...
    > you'll see the first option is Microsoft Exchange.
    >
    > The big addition to 2.0 was enterprise support ... which is how I can now get
    > into my enterprise's Cisco VPN.
    >
    > The VPN support was almost a side-note though - the big news was Microsoft
    > Exchange support.
    >
    > -- Verne

    Yes, I'm aware of the Exchange option in setting up mail accounts on the
    iPhone. I set mine up, in fact. The problem is that it still doesn't get
    through and show my my Exchange information. Authentication never
    occurs. I don't think the problem is on the iPhone side, as many people
    apparently use it without problem. But I've yet to come across someone
    using it successfully *within Nortel*. Since the 'enterprise support' I
    need is not really Cisco-oriented, I'm not getting very far. But I am
    hoping that IS will at least *allow* an unsupported use of Exchange via
    iPhone.

    --
    Allan Crowson

+ Reply to Thread