Porting of basic C programs to PalmOS - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Porting of basic C programs to PalmOS - Palmtop ; Hey guys, I'm kind of new to Palm OS development and was hoping some of you might be able to help me understand a little bit better. If you wanted to write a simple C program that only did printf("Hello ...

  1. Porting of basic C programs to PalmOS

    Hey guys, I'm kind of new to Palm OS development and was hoping some
    of you might be able to help me understand a little bit better.

    If you wanted to write a simple C program that only did printf("Hello
    world!"); How would you
    program that, compile it, and link it (how would you include stdio.h,
    etc, etc)? And then, how would you run it (to actually see the text,
    "Hello world!" display on your screen of your device)?

    From what I have read so far, from the StdIOPalm.h and
    StdIOPalmProvider.h, this leads me to think implementing some
    PalmProvider app is the route to go, but it seems a lot more
    complicated than I originally though.

    One step further, if you want to attempt to port some basic C code to
    a Palm platform, what is necessary for doing so? Are there any good
    porting tools that translate normal C header files to Palm-ified
    Header files?

    I was looking around and find some items such as StdIOPalm.h which I
    assume is equivalent to stdio.h. I have also found a unix_stdio.h
    file. Which would be best to use?

    What is missing from Palm header files and what is implemented?

    This may be a very open ended question, but I hope it may prove
    helpful to other as well.

    Eric

  2. Re: Porting of basic C programs to PalmOS

    On Jul 2, 2:57 pm, ebresie wrote:
    > Hey guys, I'm kind of new to Palm OS development and was hoping some
    > of you might be able to help me understand a little bit better.
    >
    > If you wanted to write a simple C program that only did printf("Hello
    > world!"); How would you
    > program that, compile it, and link it (how would you include stdio.h,
    > etc, etc)? And then, how would you run it (to actually see the text,
    > "Hello world!" display on your screen of your device)?
    >
    > From what I have read so far, from the StdIOPalm.h and
    > StdIOPalmProvider.h, this leads me to think implementing some
    > PalmProvider app is the route to go, but it seems a lot more
    > complicated than I originally though.

    PalmOS C/C++ Portability Guide
    http://dogbert.mse.cs.cmu.edu/charla...es/stdlib.html

    FC

  3. Re: Porting of basic C programs to PalmOS

    "ebresie" wrote...
    > If you wanted to write a simple C program that only did printf("Hello
    > world!"); How would you
    > program that, compile it, and link it (how would you include stdio.h,
    > etc, etc)? And then, how would you run it (to actually see the text,
    > "Hello world!" display on your screen of your device)?

    It sounds like you want to write a "console" program for Palm.

    Never heard of that.

    Did that StdIOPalm.h stuff seem to help with doing something like that? I
    would think that "stdio" on the palm would just mean trying to get the same
    basic variety of file access functions working, *not* displaying stuff to
    the screen and getting input. Am I wrong?

+ Reply to Thread