dead power button - utility to do a hard reset? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on dead power button - utility to do a hard reset? - Palmtop ; I have a Tungsten E with a dead power button. I can use it OK, and I have some software that will do a power down. But I guess I have no way to do a hard reset if I ...

  1. dead power button - utility to do a hard reset?

    I have a Tungsten E with a dead power button. I can use it OK, and I
    have some software that will do a power down. But I guess I have no
    way to do a hard reset if I ever need to - except drain the battery to
    zero?

    Anyway, I wondered if anyone knew of any software utilities to do a
    hard reset, or software that included these capabilities.I seem to
    remember some launcher, or general utility software, having some reset
    options - but I tried so many over the years, I cannot remember where
    I saw it!

    Also - is there anything else I should worry about not being able to
    do without a working power button?

    Thanks
    Dan

  2. Re: dead power button - utility to do a hard reset?

    Hi,

    Power off button replacement, but I think you have this one already :
    http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/powerbtn.shtml

    "soft" Hard reset :
    http://www.palmpowerups.com/download...download_id=23
    (great on Treo's : no need to remove the battery)

    Charly

  3. Re: dead power button - utility to do a hard reset?

    In article @q27g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, subs@kronhead.com says...
    > I have a Tungsten E with a dead power button. I can use it OK, and I
    > have some software that will do a power down. But I guess I have no
    > way to do a hard reset if I ever need to - except drain the battery to
    > zero?
    >
    > Anyway, I wondered if anyone knew of any software utilities to do a
    > hard reset, or software that included these capabilities.I seem to
    > remember some launcher, or general utility software, having some reset
    > options - but I tried so many over the years, I cannot remember where
    > I saw it!
    >
    > Also - is there anything else I should worry about not being able to
    > do without a working power button?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Dan

    dmitry of PalmPowerUps has HardReset app freeware

    "This will hard reset any device, with a 10-second warning. If your
    power button has stopped working, this will help you do a hard reset."

  4. Re: dead power button - utility to do a hard reset?

    Charly wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Power off button replacement, but I think you have this one already :
    > http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/powerbtn.shtml

    This sounded like a good idea, but I couldn't make it work.
    I installed it on a Tungsten T5.
    I could already turn it on with any button.
    The assigned button turns it on where it left off instead of
    the old button function...but I still can't turn it off.
    The button turns it off for an instant, but it comes right back on.
    The "program is the button" option doesn't really say what it does.
    When invoked, the program icon does indeed turn it off, but now,
    none of the buttons will turn it on. Need to be able to turn it OFF
    and ON to replace the power button.
    What am I doing wrong?

    --
    Return address is VALID!
    Bunch-O-Stuff Forsale Here:

  5. Re: dead power button - utility to do a hard reset?

    On 2008-06-24, Charly wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Power off button replacement, but I think you have this one already :
    > http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/powerbtn.shtml

    OT, but does anyone know of a similar app for Windows Mobile?

    --
    -Toby

  6. Re: dead power button - utility to do a hard reset?

    The power off utility I use is here: http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/off-it.shtml

    You said the one below would power it off, but then none of the
    buttons would turn it off. So what did you do??

    Dan

    On Jun 24, 4:37*pm, mike wrote:
    > Charly wrote:
    > > Hi,

    > > Power off button replacement, but I think you have this one already :
    > >http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/powerbtn.shtml

    > This sounded like a good idea, but I couldn't make it work.
    > I installed it on a Tungsten T5.
    > I could already turn it on with any button.
    > The assigned button turns it on where it left off instead of
    > the old button function...but I still can't turn it off.
    > The button turns it off for an instant, but it comes right back on.
    > The "program is the button" option doesn't really say what it does.
    > When invoked, the program icon does indeed turn it off, but now,
    > none of the buttons will turn it on. *Need to be able to turn it OFF
    > and ON to replace the power button.
    > What am I doing wrong?
    >
    > > "soft" Hard reset :
    > >http://www.palmpowerups.com/download...download_id=23
    > > (great on Treo's : no need to remove the battery)

    > > Charly

    > --
    > Return address is VALID!
    > Bunch-O-Stuff Forsale Here:http://nm7u.tripod.com/homepage/sale.html

  7. Re: dead power button - utility to do a hard reset?

    kronhead wrote:
    > The power off utility I use is here: http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/off-it.shtml
    >
    > You said the one below would power it off, but then none of the
    > buttons would turn it off. So what did you do??

    My power button still works, just getting harder to press.
    I'm planning ahead. If the button still works when I need to sell it,
    it'll bring more $$. No need to wear it out completely.
    Anybody know the failure mode? Does the switch go bad?
    Or an electronic/leakage problem in the chip?
    Or is it just the nub on the backside of the button compressing
    or wearing down? That could be fixed.

    > Dan
    >
    > On Jun 24, 4:37 pm, mike wrote:
    >> Charly wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>> Power off button replacement, but I think you have this one already :
    >>> http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/powerbtn.shtml

    >> This sounded like a good idea, but I couldn't make it work.
    >> I installed it on a Tungsten T5.
    >> I could already turn it on with any button.
    >> The assigned button turns it on where it left off instead of
    >> the old button function...but I still can't turn it off.
    >> The button turns it off for an instant, but it comes right back on.
    >> The "program is the button" option doesn't really say what it does.
    >> When invoked, the program icon does indeed turn it off, but now,
    >> none of the buttons will turn it on. Need to be able to turn it OFF
    >> and ON to replace the power button.
    >> What am I doing wrong?
    >>
    >>> "soft" Hard reset :
    >>> http://www.palmpowerups.com/download...download_id=23
    >>> (great on Treo's : no need to remove the battery)
    >>> Charly

    >> --
    >> Return address is VALID!
    >> Bunch-O-Stuff Forsale Here:http://nm7u.tripod.com/homepage/sale.html

    --
    Return address is VALID!
    Bunch-O-Stuff Forsale Here:
    http://nm7u.tripod.com/homepage/sale.html

  8. Re: dead power button - utility to do a hard reset?

    In news:4Hx8k.8$4J.5@trnddc05,
    mike typed on Wed, 25 Jun 2008 20:14:56 GMT:

    > My power button still works, just getting harder to press.
    > I'm planning ahead. If the button still works when I need to sell it,
    > it'll bring more $$. No need to wear it out completely.
    > Anybody know the failure mode? Does the switch go bad?
    > Or an electronic/leakage problem in the chip?
    > Or is it just the nub on the backside of the button compressing
    > or wearing down? That could be fixed.

    My Palm IIIc power button is very hard to press. And my finger rarely
    does it, but the stylus still does. But it doesn't matter much to me if
    it does die. As other buttons will turn it on and it will auto shutoff
    when idle. The Palm IIIc you can select auto power down in 1, 2, 3
    minutes, or stay on with external power. Doesn't all PDAs work this way?

    --
    Bill

  9. Re: dead power button - utility to do a hard reset?

    In news:4863c440$0$1347$834e42db@reader.greatnowhere. com,
    BillW50 typed on Thu, 26 Jun 2008 11:30:54 -0500:
    > ... The Palm IIIc you can select auto power down in 1, 2, 3 minutes,
    > or stay on with external power...

    Correction, I just checked... there is a 30 second timeout too.

    --
    Bill

  10. Re: dead power button - utility to do a hard reset?

    In article <48616432$0$11423$426a74cc@news.free.fr>,
    Charly wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Power off button replacement, but I think you have this one already :
    > http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/powerbtn.shtml
    >
    > "soft" Hard reset :
    > http://www.palmpowerups.com/download...download_id=23
    > (great on Treo's : no need to remove the battery)

    Thanks for the hard reset link. Note that powerbtn 1.13 also supports
    hard reset.

    I use "Off" to power off my
    Tungsten E. Unlike powerbtn it adds an icon to the command bar. Thus I
    can easily power off from any application and not use up one of my hard
    buttons.

    -- Russell

  11. Re: dead power button - utility to do a hard reset?

    In message <4863c440$0$1347$834e42db@reader.greatnowhere.com> "BillW50"
    wrote:

    >My Palm IIIc power button is very hard to press. And my finger rarely
    >does it, but the stylus still does. But it doesn't matter much to me if
    >it does die. As other buttons will turn it on and it will auto shutoff
    >when idle. The Palm IIIc you can select auto power down in 1, 2, 3
    >minutes, or stay on with external power. Doesn't all PDAs work this way?

    Did you read the thread? Or even the subject?

    A hard reset does require a specific combination of buttons, there is no
    alternative if the OS won't boot far enough to fix the problem at that
    stage.

  12. Re: dead power button - utility to do a hard reset?

    In news:405964hg2ur8crnqjkp31eel0tc6409tju@4ax.com,
    DevilsPGD typed on Fri, 27 Jun 2008 01:46:14 -0600:
    > In message <4863c440$0$1347$834e42db@reader.greatnowhere.com>
    > "BillW50" wrote:
    >
    >> My Palm IIIc power button is very hard to press. And my finger rarely
    >> does it, but the stylus still does. But it doesn't matter much to me
    >> if it does die. As other buttons will turn it on and it will auto
    >> shutoff when idle. The Palm IIIc you can select auto power down in
    >> 1, 2, 3 minutes, or stay on with external power. Doesn't all PDAs
    >> work this way?

    > Did you read the thread? Or even the subject?

    Yes I did! Sorry somebody got me side tracked.

    > A hard reset does require a specific combination of buttons, there is
    > no alternative if the OS won't boot far enough to fix the problem at
    > that stage.

    Yes this is so true.

    --
    Bill

  13. Re: dead power button - utility to do a hard reset?

    Bill - you are right that we also discussed power-off utilities, which
    may not seem necessary - but I don't always want to wait for my PDA to
    power off automatically. It wastes some battery power (and my battery
    is lasting less and less already!), and, if I were about to put it in
    my pocket, I would want to be sure it was off to avoid accidental key
    or screen presses.

    Dan

    On Jun 27, 6:47*am, "BillW50" wrote:
    > Innews:405964hg2ur8crnqjkp31eel0tc6409tju@4ax.com,
    > DevilsPGD typed on Fri, 27 Jun 2008 01:46:14 -0600:
    >
    > > In message <4863c440$0$1347$834e4...@reader.greatnowhere.com>
    > > "BillW50" wrote:

    > >> My Palm IIIc power button is very hard to press. And my finger rarely
    > >> does it, but the stylus still does. But it doesn't matter much to me
    > >> if it does die. As other buttons will turn it on and it will auto
    > >> shutoff when idle. The Palm IIIc you can select auto power down in
    > >> 1, 2, 3 minutes, or stay on with external power. Doesn't all PDAs
    > >> work this way?

    > > Did you read the thread? *Or even the subject?

    > Yes I did! Sorry somebody got me side tracked.
    >
    > > A hard reset does require a specific combination of buttons, there is
    > > no alternative if the OS won't boot far enough to fix the problem at
    > > that stage.

    > Yes this is so true.
    >
    > --
    > Bill

  14. Re: dead power button - utility to do a hard reset?

    In
    kronhead typed on Fri, 27 Jun 2008 07:22:07 -0700 (PDT):
    > Bill - you are right that we also discussed power-off utilities, which
    > may not seem necessary - but I don't always want to wait for my PDA to
    > power off automatically. It wastes some battery power (and my battery
    > is lasting less and less already!),

    Dan, I am using a 9 year Palm IIIc. I can run 12 hours straight or up to
    2 weeks or more with little use. Having it automatically power down
    after 30 seconds to 3 minutes later has never been a problem. I am on my
    second Li-Ion battery and they last me 5 years each. And a battery on
    eBay is like 10 bucks or less.

    > and, if I were about to put it in
    > my pocket, I would want to be sure it was off to avoid accidental key
    > or screen presses.
    >
    > Dan

    Well this Palm IIIc can turn on with 5 buttons. I don't think any of
    them can power on by slipping it into your pocket. But even if it could,
    that is why I use one of those PDA wallets. Don't you people who uses
    other PDAs experience the same?

    --
    Bill

+ Reply to Thread