Uploading MP3 onto Treo - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Uploading MP3 onto Treo - Palmtop ; Hi, I'm trying to get a short MP3 onto my Treo 700p. I have plenty of memory left, so I never bothered to get a card. It also doesn't have full email capability (it does have messaging). I have tried ...

  1. Uploading MP3 onto Treo

    Hi,

    I'm trying to get a short MP3 onto my Treo 700p. I have plenty of memory
    left, so I never bothered to get a card. It also doesn't have full email
    capability (it does have messaging).

    I have tried sending emails from my desktop to my phone, but after
    receiving, messaging says "Attachments [file name] removed".

    I have also tried to copy the MP3 using Palm Quick Install. However, I am
    only able to drag files into the panel that says "Expansion Card", I cannot
    drag them into the upper panel that says "Handheld", even though that panel
    also indicates no card found.

    Uploading an MP3 seems like it would be an easy thing to do, any
    suggestions?

    Thanks,
    Steve

  2. Re: Uploading MP3 onto Treo

    "Steve Harclerode" wrote in message
    newsxx4k.1518$Y84.1156@newsfe10.phx...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm trying to get a short MP3 onto my Treo 700p.

    I found the answer from Palm's website:
    "Because of storage limitations, RealPlayer for Palm OS does not allow you
    to play digital music files from your smartphone's internal memory."

    Oh well. I guess that's one way for them to sell more cards...

  3. Re: Uploading MP3 onto Treo

    Previously on comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, Steve Harclerode said:

    > I'm trying to get a short MP3 onto my Treo 700p. I have plenty of memory
    > left, so I never bothered to get a card. It also doesn't have full email
    > capability (it does have messaging).
    >
    > I have tried sending emails from my desktop to my phone, but after
    > receiving, messaging says "Attachments [file name] removed".
    >
    > I have also tried to copy the MP3 using Palm Quick Install. However, I am
    > only able to drag files into the panel that says "Expansion Card", I cannot
    > drag them into the upper panel that says "Handheld", even though that panel
    > also indicates no card found.
    >
    > Uploading an MP3 seems like it would be an easy thing to do, any
    > suggestions?

    MP3s: Use an SD card. While the Treo can play mp3s, the internal
    memory format is restricted in what the system can/will handle. SD
    cards come in many sizes and the smaller ones are dirt cheap. Don't go
    over 2G though, last I heard the 700p cannot handle the SDHC cards.

    Email: Versamail is a basic email program. It works for what it was
    designed to handle. If you want better, there are several options. Go
    poke around the software selection at Handango.com.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    Tips for the Trusted Lieutenant: 3. If you gloat and boast, don't be
    surprised if a comrade of the person you have at your mercy jumps you
    from behind while you're distracted with your boasting.

  4. Re: Uploading MP3 onto Treo

    "Jeffrey Kaplan" wrote in message
    news:u8f554pdjkvre1vsflgk4i2iuotr3e9ae7@gordol.org ...
    > Previously on comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, Steve Harclerode said:
    >
    > Email: Versamail is a basic email program. It works for what it was
    > designed to handle. If you want better, there are several options. Go
    > poke around the software selection at Handango.com.

    Thanks for the reply. Actually I purposely don't use the internet
    capability, otherwise I would get emails from work 24x7.
    :-)

    - Steve

  5. Re: Uploading MP3 onto Treo

    On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 09:56:48AM -0800, Steve Harclerode wrote:

    > I found the answer from Palm's website:
    > "Because of storage limitations, RealPlayer for Palm OS does not allow you
    > to play digital music files from your smartphone's internal memory."

    The "storage limitations" are nothing to do with the amount of storage,
    but are because of the data format. Palm OS works with databases, not
    files.

    > Oh well. I guess that's one way for them to sell more cards...

    Not a very good way though, as I can't find any for sale onPalm's site.
    1GB SD cards are as near as damnit free these days. You can get them
    for the cost of postage (well, one penny plus postage) from about a
    million people selling them through Amazon.

    --
    David Cantrell | Enforcer, South London Linguistic Massive

    It's my experience that neither users nor customers can articulate
    what it is they want, nor can they evaluate it when they see it
    -- Alan Cooper

+ Reply to Thread