Life after TX - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Life after TX - Palmtop ; While I like my TX very much, I know it probably won't last for another year. All the signs don't are not good for the next Palm PDA release. Realistically Palm smart phone is probably the way to go if ...

  1. Life after TX

    While I like my TX very much, I know it probably won't last for another
    year. All the signs don't are not good for the next Palm PDA release.
    Realistically Palm smart phone is probably the way to go if I were to
    stick with Palm. What I would like to know from those who have already
    made the switch: what do you miss most compared to a PDA? How does a
    smart phone stack up against a standalone PDA?

    /Why Tea

  2. Re: Life after TX

    If you like your TX, buy a replacement on Ebay if your current one fails.
    Some are available new or barely used.
    --
    Peace,
    BobJ

    "whytea" wrote in message
    > While I like my TX very much, I know it probably won't last for another
    > year. All the signs don't are not good for the next Palm PDA release.
    > Realistically Palm smart phone is probably the way to go if I were to
    > stick with Palm. What I would like to know from those who have already
    > made the switch: what do you miss most compared to a PDA? How does a smart
    > phone stack up against a standalone PDA?
    >
    > /Why Tea

  3. Re: Life after TX

    Marilyn & Bob wrote:
    > If you like your TX, buy a replacement on Ebay if your current one fails.
    > Some are available new or barely used.

    Budget for replacing the crappy original digitizer with a
    glass top and you'll have something you can actually use.

    I had my TX replaced once under warranty for a failing
    digitizer, then the 2nd one started failing exactly like
    the first one after just a couple of months. The glass
    digitizer has been perfect for quite a while now.

  4. Re: Life after TX

    On Fri, 23 May 2008 05:11:35, whytea wrote:
    > While I like my TX very much, I know it probably won't last for another
    > year. All the signs don't are not good for the next Palm PDA release.
    > Realistically Palm smart phone is probably the way to go if I were to
    > stick with Palm. What I would like to know from those who have already
    > made the switch: what do you miss most compared to a PDA? How does a
    > smart phone stack up against a standalone PDA?

    I recently made the switch to a Treo after I killed my TX trying to
    replace the digitizer. I didn't know how the cable connector worked:
    I tried to force it instead of lifting the black tab to allow easy,
    zero force release/install. Knowing what I know now, I'm sure I would
    have been succesful. I think I crimped and/or stripped the ribbon cable on
    both my original failing digitizer and the new replacement one.

    With a dead TX (well, dead digitizer: the rest still works fine), I
    was left with a few choices:

    1. I could buy a used TX off of eBay or new one from a store.
    2. I could buy a Treo off of eBay.
    3. I could jump ship.

    I didn't really want to get a used TX, and my cell phone contract
    (family plan) doesn't expire until August. I checked eBay, and there
    was a lightly used Treo 755p for my provider selling for a Buy-It-Now
    price of just under $250 shipped, with no contract requirements. I
    decided to give it a shot.

    So far, after some initial "getting used to it," and migration hurdles,
    I'm mostly pleased.

    Battery life hasn't been the greatest, but getting an extended battery
    and going through a couple of cycles has improved it.

    I really like the keyboard. It's much better than graffiti. I feel
    as though taking notes is much less of a chore, and the GMail client
    is great with all of the shortcuts active.

    I miss the larger screen, especially when I'm reading eBooks or
    viewing media (pictures or videos). I've also switched to a
    super-tiny font for Web/OperaMini so I can get more text on the screen
    (luckily I still have young eyes).

    I don't enjoy paying $30/month more on my phone bill for unlimited
    data, but I do like the always-available connection. I don't miss
    WiFi at all. EVDO is plenty fast for what I'm using it for.

    The 755p has been about as stable as my TX was. I have had a few
    crashes/lockups, but haven't lost data. I miss the reset button, but
    removing the battery works well enough....

    I like having the vibrating alarms again (I've missed that since my
    T|T3 died), and it's way easier to do text messages than it was on my
    old phone.

    The 755p is smaller than my TX was, and I like the lightened load on
    my pockets since I don't have to carry my phone too.. I just wish it
    was a little bit thinner. It's about the same size as two iPhones
    stacked.

    If you do get a Treo, install SkinUI. it'll help the "ugly" a bit.

    It annoys me that I need an adapter to use regular headphones.
    Perhaps now that the iPhone has 1/8" mic/headphone plugs, other
    manufacturers will start adopting that too.

    My opinion is that it's not that the current model Treos are bad. Far
    from it. They are good phones, and good PDAs that do what I need
    without too many extraneous clicks. However, they could/should be so
    much more! They would be awesome 2-3 years ago, but in the current
    environment, they feel clunky in many ways. The browser is awful.
    The interface is ancient and ugly (but still quick to use). The
    hardware is slow and a bit laggy to switch programs.

    I do like what I have, but if I wouldn't suggest an expensive Treo + 2
    year contract to someone without legacy apps. The $100 for a Centro
    is more appealing.

    -alan

    --
    Alan Hoyle - alanh@unc.edu - http://www.alanhoyle.com/

  5. Re: Life after TX

    On 2008-05-23 05:11:35 -0400, whytea said:

    > While I like my TX very much, I know it probably won't last for another
    > year. All the signs don't are not good for the next Palm PDA release.
    > Realistically Palm smart phone is probably the way to go if I were to
    > stick with Palm. What I would like to know from those who have already
    > made the switch: what do you miss most compared to a PDA? How does a
    > smart phone stack up against a standalone PDA?
    >
    > /Why Tea

    I switched to a Treo 755p, and I love having the smaller unit. The
    smaller screen takes a bit of getting used to, but it seems as though
    the screen resolution is better so it doesn't really SEEM small except
    when using certain apps.

    I miss the landscape option, and there are times when I'd rather use
    graffiti than the tiny keyboard -- but I believe there's an application
    that allows you to do that. I don't miss it enough to find out. I
    don't miss the WiFi at all -- I can get the internet just fine using
    the phone. It's actually easier to get my email on the Treo.

    I've kept my TX -- I can still play Bejeweled 2 on it, as long as I
    keep it plugged in while using it. The digitizer isn't all it once
    was, but that's not as big a deal for Bejeweled 2 as long as you're not
    using it in the timed mode.

    All in all, I'm happy that I made the switch!

    Ruby

+ Reply to Thread