Amazon's "Kindle"? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Amazon's "Kindle"? - Palmtop ; http://tinyurl.com/3r9q4j Clearly a marketing tool.... but such a tool! Seems to me like if it took a SIM card, it would be a slam dunk for Cell Phone/PDA/MP3 Player/On-the-go web access bundled into one for somebody with cargo pockets. The ...

  1. Amazon's "Kindle"?

    http://tinyurl.com/3r9q4j

    Clearly a marketing tool.... but such a tool!

    Seems to me like if it took a SIM card, it would be a slam dunk
    for Cell Phone/PDA/MP3 Player/On-the-go web access bundled into
    one for somebody with cargo pockets.

    The no-cost-per-month network access is what got my attention.

    Anybody have thoughts on this device?
    --
    PeteCresswell

  2. Re: Amazon's "Kindle"?

    On Tue, 20 May 2008 08:13:57 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)"
    wrote:

    >http://tinyurl.com/3r9q4j
    >
    >Clearly a marketing tool.... but such a tool!
    >
    >Seems to me like if it took a SIM card, it would be a slam dunk
    >for Cell Phone/PDA/MP3 Player/On-the-go web access bundled into
    >one for somebody with cargo pockets.
    >
    >The no-cost-per-month network access is what got my attention.
    >
    >Anybody have thoughts on this device?

    Well, the guys on the TWiT network seem to love it but I have a
    problem with shelling out extra cash for a device when I've been able
    to read e-books on my PDA/Smartphone for years. I still carry both a
    PDA and a cell phone and at one point also carried an iPod. And now
    Amazon wants me to carry an e-book reader? No, I'll stick to my Palm
    TX for the time being.
    --
    Cause, really, nothing says "I'm a counter culture
    rebel, fighting the establishment" like an Aibo on

    Roberto Castillo
    robertocastillo@ameritech.net
    http://mind-grapes.blogspot.com/
    http://zombie-gulch.myminicity.com/

  3. Re: Amazon's "Kindle"?

    Per Zombie Elvis:
    >but I have a
    >problem with shelling out extra cash for a device when I've been able
    >to read e-books on my PDA/Smartphone for years. I still carry both a
    >PDA and a cell phone and at one point also carried an iPod. And now
    >Amazon wants me to carry an e-book reader? No, I'll stick to my Palm
    >TX for the time being.

    I wasn't thinking so much about the eBook reading capability.

    In fact, illiterate clod that some tell me I am, I could care
    less about it.

    What got my attention was the 24-7 3g (4g?) network access that
    comes with the purchase. "Free"... no monthly payments until
    they change their mind..... and it was pretty quick on the one a
    friend demo'd to me.

    I don't have such service on my cell phone and can't justify
    paying for it.

    But that no-charge (except that it's undoubtedly partially built
    into the purchase price...) service, plus the fact that it has a
    web browser built in means to me that I could do web mail any
    time any place - and with a reasonably-large screen to do it on.

    Being able to check a couple of weather sites and do the
    occasional GoogleMap inquiry wouldn't be too bad either.

    Seems a little analogous to having a credit card and never, ever
    allowing an interest-accruing balance to develop: you get the
    convenience, the protection, and a little float basically for
    nothing - since it's funded by the people that deem it rational
    to carry balances and pay interest. In this case, I'd be riding
    on the revenue generated by people who actually buy books with
    the thing.
    --
    PeteCresswell

  4. Re: Amazon's "Kindle"?

    On Wed, 21 May 2008 17:16:14 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)"
    wrote:

    >Per Zombie Elvis:
    >>but I have a
    >>problem with shelling out extra cash for a device when I've been able
    >>to read e-books on my PDA/Smartphone for years. I still carry both a
    >>PDA and a cell phone and at one point also carried an iPod. And now
    >>Amazon wants me to carry an e-book reader? No, I'll stick to my Palm
    >>TX for the time being.

    >I wasn't thinking so much about the eBook reading capability.

    Good because it looks like the next generation OLPC is the real future
    of e-books .

    >In fact, illiterate clod that some tell me I am, I could care
    >less about it.
    >
    >What got my attention was the 24-7 3g (4g?) network access that
    >comes with the purchase. "Free"... no monthly payments until
    >they change their mind..... and it was pretty quick on the one a
    >friend demo'd to me.

    That "Free...until they change their mind" part is the operative
    phrase. The point of the service is that you will download books and
    an occasional web page. I'm guessing that if you really, really use it
    a lot without using it to buy e-books, somebody will notice and try to
    cap your usage just like cable and phone companies keep trying to cap
    their "unlimited" Internet usage.

    >I don't have such service on my cell phone and can't justify
    >paying for it.

    I have a data plan for my Treo 680. I hate paying for it but I
    definitely use it.

    >But that no-charge (except that it's undoubtedly partially built
    >into the purchase price...) service, plus the fact that it has a
    >web browser built in means to me that I could do web mail any
    >time any place - and with a reasonably-large screen to do it on.

    A large monochrome screen.

    >Being able to check a couple of weather sites and do the
    >occasional GoogleMap inquiry wouldn't be too bad either.

    I can do that right now -- with wifi on my TX or with the data plan on
    my Treo. The wifi is usually free -- at least is when I'm at home or
    near an unsecured hotspot. But as you note, the Kindle's service is
    "free" but there aren't many applications available for it other than
    e-books. There's Wikipedia, newspapers, magazines, and blogs. But I
    can access all of these on my Treo and TX along with everything else
    these two devices can do. I was actually playing with Google Maps on
    Treo today, it looked really pretty on the color screen.

    >Seems a little analogous to having a credit card and never, ever
    >allowing an interest-accruing balance to develop: you get the
    >convenience, the protection, and a little float basically for
    >nothing - since it's funded by the people that deem it rational
    >to carry balances and pay interest. In this case, I'd be riding
    >on the revenue generated by people who actually buy books with
    >the thing.

    The problem with the credit card analogy is that the companies depend
    on the fact that sooner or later you'll let the balance grow and
    that's where they get you with the interest rates. A device like the
    Kindle will probably never be very good for things that you can get
    without making a payment to Amazon.

    Although I do love the battery life on the Kindle. All the reviews
    I've seen say that its battery goes on forever. I need to recharge
    both my Treo and my TX every day.
    --
    Cause, really, nothing says "I'm a counter culture
    rebel, fighting the establishment" like an Aibo on
    a skateboard.
    - Seen on Slashdot

    Roberto Castillo
    robertocastillo@ameritech.net
    http://mind-grapes.blogspot.com/
    http://zombie-gulch.myminicity.com/

  5. Re: Amazon's "Kindle"?

    Per Zombie Elvis:
    >Although I do love the battery life on the Kindle. All the reviews
    >I've seen say that its battery goes on forever. I need to recharge
    >both my Treo and my TX every day.

    I suspect that's the monochrome screen.

    My monochrome Palm Pilots seemed to go forever too - not that my
    TX is that bad.... but color seems to have it's cost
    battery-wise.
    --
    PeteCresswell

  6. Re: Amazon's "Kindle"?

    "(PeteCresswell)" wrote...
    > ...What got my attention was the 24-7 3g (4g?) network access that
    > comes with the purchase. "Free"... no monthly payments until
    > they change their mind..... and it was pretty quick on the one a
    > friend demo'd to me.

    But does that work for browsing any web site? I thought the network access
    was only for browsing books or downloading and paying for books?

    If you can surf the net on that thing, that would add a ton to its appeal,
    but it's only their intent as far as I've ever heard to "surf the amazon
    book net."

    You should try to find out to what extent you can actually surf the net on
    that thing.

+ Reply to Thread