netsync PC to PC? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on netsync PC to PC? - Palmtop ; Hi, apologies if I bother you with a question that has been around for more than a decade... I have to synchronize the Palm databases on two PCs directly without the handheld! Reason: both PCs run palmone desktop 4.1.4 (as ...

  1. netsync PC to PC?

    Hi,
    apologies if I bother you with a question that has been around for more
    than a decade...

    I have to synchronize the Palm databases on two PCs directly without the
    handheld! Reason: both PCs run palmone desktop 4.1.4 (as recommended by
    palm for my palm pilot). My palm pilot, however, is too old to install the
    corresponding version. It runs on some older version but communication
    with the PCs is ok.

    Now, the desktop 4.1.4 has more data fields (e.g. in Adressbook) than the
    handheld. I can't therefore, use the handheld anymore to synchronize these
    additional fields.

    Is there some way to synchronize two PCs directly via network?

    Oskar von dem Hagen

  2. Re: netsync PC to PC?

    On Tue, 06 May 2008 05:48:58 +0200, Oskar von dem Hagen wrote:

    > Hi,
    > apologies if I bother you with a question that has been around for more
    > than a decade...
    >
    > I have to synchronize the Palm databases on two PCs directly without the
    > handheld! Reason: both PCs run palmone desktop 4.1.4 (as recommended by
    > palm for my palm pilot). My palm pilot, however, is too old to install the
    > corresponding version. It runs on some older version but communication
    > with the PCs is ok.
    >
    > Now, the desktop 4.1.4 has more data fields (e.g. in Adressbook) than the
    > handheld. I can't therefore, use the handheld anymore to synchronize these
    > additional fields.
    >
    > Is there some way to synchronize two PCs directly via network?
    >
    > Oskar von dem Hagen

    Export/import address book as CSV ?

  3. Re: netsync PC to PC?

    On Tue, 06 May 2008 15:46:18 -0400, Meat Plow
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 06 May 2008 05:48:58 +0200, Oskar von dem Hagen wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >> apologies if I bother you with a question that has been around for more
    >> than a decade...
    >>
    >> I have to synchronize the Palm databases on two PCs directly without the
    >> handheld! Reason: both PCs run palmone desktop 4.1.4 (as recommended by
    >> palm for my palm pilot). My palm pilot, however, is too old to install the
    >> corresponding version. It runs on some older version but communication
    >> with the PCs is ok.
    >>
    >> Now, the desktop 4.1.4 has more data fields (e.g. in Adressbook) than the
    >> handheld. I can't therefore, use the handheld anymore to synchronize these
    >> additional fields.
    >>
    >> Is there some way to synchronize two PCs directly via network?
    >>
    >> Oskar von dem Hagen

    >Export/import address book as CSV ?

    Heck, I just synchronize the directories between my desktop and
    laptop. Copy the files right over. Works fine.

  4. Re: netsync PC to PC?

    > Heck, I just synchronize the directories between my desktop and
    > laptop. Copy the files right over. Works fine.

    That's what I do, too. However, nw and then I am not careful enough and
    both PCs have different changes that should be synchronized.
    Oskar

  5. Re: netsync PC to PC?

    On 07 May 2008 in comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, Oskar von dem Hagen wrote:

    >> Heck, I just synchronize the directories between my desktop and
    >> laptop. Copy the files right over. Works fine.

    > That's what I do, too. However, nw and then I am not careful enough
    > and both PCs have different changes that should be synchronized.

    Are the two computers on the same network? If so, put the data files in
    a folder on one of them that you can share, and point the data location
    in both versions of Palm desktop to the shared folder. Tools>Options,
    first tab in my ver 4.2 desktop.

    --
    Joe Makowiec
    http://makowiec.org/