Palm -> WM6 - How? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Palm -> WM6 - How? - Palmtop ; I use a Palm m515 with a Win XP Pro PC. The PC, however, does not have Outlook or MS Office installed. I will not change that. I use Outlook Express for mail possibly moving to Seamonkey soon. I use ...

  1. Palm -> WM6 - How?

    I use a Palm m515 with a Win XP Pro PC. The PC, however, does not have
    Outlook or MS Office installed. I will not change that. I use Outlook
    Express for mail possibly moving to Seamonkey soon. I use Firefox as a web
    browser, OpenOffice for word processing, spreadsheets etc. and my Palm & its
    Desktop for calendar, address book etc.

    If I move to WM6 how do I manage without Outlook and MS Office?

    I've trawled the net via Google and looked in several rather pathetic WM6
    forums but ...
    Surely the people making devices that run WM6 can't think everyone can
    afford or wants to pay for Outlook & MS Office?

    Harold Fuchs
    London, England

  2. Re: Palm -> WM6 - How?

    Previously on comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, Harold Fuchs said:

    > If I move to WM6 how do I manage without Outlook and MS Office?

    I don't think you can. The Tilt I had tried over the past weekend even
    came with a trial version of Outlook on the install CD.

    I use Outlook myself. For the PIM functionality only, not for any
    emailing capabilities. I initially did that because I needed the
    address book integration with Word, but I've since found that Outlook
    as a PIM, even as big as the program is, is better than Palm Desktop.

    Have you tried www.wmexperts.com ? It's owned (and run?) by the same
    people who own and run www.treocentral.com .

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "I never knew you could be so devious, Commander." "Coming from you,
    Ambassador, that's a real compliment." (Amb. G'Kar and Cmdr. Sinclair,
    B5 "Born to the Purple")

  3. Re: Palm -> WM6 - How?

    "Jeffrey Kaplan" wrote in message
    news:7vam14ltgt3orpdk02isj3hafg02odh67v@gordol.org ...
    > Previously on comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, Harold Fuchs said:
    >
    >> If I move to WM6 how do I manage without Outlook and MS Office?

    > I don't think you can. The Tilt I had tried over the past weekend even
    > came with a trial version of Outlook on the install CD.
    >
    > I use Outlook myself. For the PIM functionality only, not for any
    > emailing capabilities. I initially did that because I needed the
    > address book integration with Word, but I've since found that Outlook
    > as a PIM, even as big as the program is, is better than Palm Desktop.
    >
    >> I've trawled the net via Google and looked in several rather pathetic WM6
    >> forums but ...

    > Have you tried www.wmexperts.com ? It's owned (and run?) by the same
    > people who own and run www.treocentral.com .
    >
    > --
    > Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    Thanks. I looked there (wmexperts) as you suggested but their search
    mechanism is broken so I'll try again later.
    Interesting to note too that their web server is Apache running on Fedora
    Linux !!!!

  4. Re: Palm -> WM6 - How?

    I also use Outlook - I have not found any PIM as good - at least not
    one that includes Palm sync. Outlook handles recurring appts better
    than anything else.

    I do use Outlook 2000 - pretty old! And I always thought I would have
    to buy an all new Office, even though I use Open Office, Firefox, and
    Thunderbird for everything else. But CDW sells Outlook by itself -
    when I called to ask if this was a full license just for Outlook, they
    said yes - but I still have not decided whether to go for a new
    version.

    My web hosting service provides a copy of Outlook if I switch to their
    Exchange service - but I had enough of THAT when I worked in the
    corporate world! I do use Imap so I can read email from any of my
    computers. I don't really like web-based email.

    Just my 2 cents.

    Dan

    On May 2, 8:01 am, Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
    > Previously on comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, Harold Fuchs said:
    >
    > > If I move to WM6 how do I manage without Outlook and MS Office?

    > I don't think you can. The Tilt I had tried over the past weekend even
    > came with a trial version of Outlook on the install CD.
    >
    > I use Outlook myself. For the PIM functionality only, not for any
    > emailing capabilities. I initially did that because I needed the
    > address book integration with Word, but I've since found that Outlook
    > as a PIM, even as big as the program is, is better than Palm Desktop.
    >
    > > I've trawled the net via Google and looked in several rather pathetic WM6
    > > forums but ...

    > Have you triedwww.wmexperts.com? It's owned (and run?) by the same
    > people who own and runwww.treocentral.com.
    >
    > --
    > Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org
    > The from userid is killfiled Send personal mail to gordol
    >
    > "I never knew you could be so devious, Commander." "Coming from you,
    > Ambassador, that's a real compliment." (Amb. G'Kar and Cmdr. Sinclair,
    > B5 "Born to the Purple")

  5. Re: Palm -> WM6 - How?

    Previously on comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, kronstadt@gmail.com said:

    > I do use Outlook 2000 - pretty old! And I always thought I would have
    > to buy an all new Office, even though I use Open Office, Firefox, and
    > Thunderbird for everything else. But CDW sells Outlook by itself -
    > when I called to ask if this was a full license just for Outlook, they
    > said yes - but I still have not decided whether to go for a new
    > version.

    Last I checked, you can get each of the individual programs from Office
    separately. But if you want more than one or two, it's probably less
    expensive to buy the package.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    Peter's Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord, #21. I
    will hire a talented fashion designer to create original uniforms for
    my Legions of Terror, as opposed to some cheap knock-offs that make
    them look like Nazi stormtroopers, Roman foot soldiers, or savage
    Mongol hordes. All were eventually defeated and I want my troops to
    have a more positive mind-set.

  6. Re: Palm -> WM6 - How?

    Harold Fuchs wrote:
    > I use a Palm m515 with a Win XP Pro PC. The PC, however, does not have
    > Outlook or MS Office installed. I will not change that. I use Outlook
    > Express for mail possibly moving to Seamonkey soon. I use Firefox as a web
    > browser, OpenOffice for word processing, spreadsheets etc. and my Palm & its
    > Desktop for calendar, address book etc.
    >
    > If I move to WM6 how do I manage without Outlook and MS Office?
    >
    > I've trawled the net via Google and looked in several rather pathetic WM6
    > forums but ...
    > Surely the people making devices that run WM6 can't think everyone can
    > afford or wants to pay for Outlook & MS Office?
    >
    > Harold Fuchs
    > London, England

    A very late reply as I recently switched to a new news server after
    Time Warner got rid of theirs.

    Although I haven't yet tried these here are two alternatives I found.
    There's a program called SyncExpress 3 which allows for syncing with
    Outlook Express. Last I saw it costs $18 to buy.

    Another item I have but not yet tried is FinchSync. Apparently this one
    allows for syncing Thunderbird/Mozilla/Seamonkey/Lightning/Sunbird data.
    I plan to test that one today sometime.
    http://www.finchsync.com/

    I don't use Outlook Express for anything but if FinchSync doesn't
    work I might try SyncExpress if there's a trial version (of course
    this means I'll have to export/import Palm or Thunderbird data).

    Being a Palm user I was hoping to find something that allowed for
    syncing between Palm data and Pocket PC. I did find something but
    like a dummy I can't find where I wrote it down so I'll have to
    search again.
    There are alternatives but it's just a matter of whether or not they
    work.

    Marc

    --
    ==ANIME SENSHI==
    Marc D. Williams

  7. Re: Palm -> WM6 - How?

    "Marc D. Williams" wrote in message
    > Harold Fuchs wrote:
    >> I use a Palm m515 with a Win XP Pro PC. The PC, however, does not have
    >> Outlook or MS Office installed. I will not change that. I use Outlook
    >> Express for mail possibly moving to Seamonkey soon. I use Firefox as a
    >> web browser, OpenOffice for word processing, spreadsheets etc. and my
    >> Palm & its Desktop for calendar, address book etc.
    >>
    >> If I move to WM6 how do I manage without Outlook and MS Office?
    >>
    >> I've trawled the net via Google and looked in several rather pathetic WM6
    >> forums but ...
    >> Surely the people making devices that run WM6 can't think everyone can
    >> afford or wants to pay for Outlook & MS Office?
    >>
    >> Harold Fuchs
    >> London, England

    > A very late reply as I recently switched to a new news server after
    > Time Warner got rid of theirs.
    >
    > Although I haven't yet tried these here are two alternatives I found.
    > There's a program called SyncExpress 3 which allows for syncing with
    > Outlook Express. Last I saw it costs $18 to buy.
    >
    > Another item I have but not yet tried is FinchSync. Apparently this one
    > allows for syncing Thunderbird/Mozilla/Seamonkey/Lightning/Sunbird data.
    > I plan to test that one today sometime.
    > http://www.finchsync.com/
    >
    > I don't use Outlook Express for anything but if FinchSync doesn't
    > work I might try SyncExpress if there's a trial version (of course
    > this means I'll have to export/import Palm or Thunderbird data).
    >
    > Being a Palm user I was hoping to find something that allowed for
    > syncing between Palm data and Pocket PC. I did find something but
    > like a dummy I can't find where I wrote it down so I'll have to
    > search again.
    > There are alternatives but it's just a matter of whether or not they
    > work.
    >
    > Marc

    Sorry, I've been away. Just to say thanks. I will consider Finchsync and
    SyncExpress although changing to either will be traumatic because my main
    contact "book" is currently on a Palm sync'd with Palm Desktop. I only keep
    e-mail addresses in my e-mail systems: Outlook Express on my floortop and
    Thunderbird on my laptop with far fewer addresses. It's a real shame that
    nothing seems able to import vCard files which Palm Desktop can export.
    Unless you know better ;-) ?

    Harold Fuchs
    London, England

+ Reply to Thread