Future - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Future - Palmtop ; What do you think the next iteration of Palm OS will be like ? Will it be a "Phone only" thing ?...

  1. Future

    What do you think the next iteration of Palm OS will be like ?

    Will it be a "Phone only" thing ?

  2. Re: Future

    In message <48171370.1624.palmpalm002@mtlgeek.synchro.net> "Ennev"
    wrote:

    >What do you think the next iteration of Palm OS will be like ?
    >
    >Will it be a "Phone only" thing ?

    Based on Palm's recent history, it will look and feel exactly like the
    current one, but have a minor point release difference and a couple new
    features that break some existing third party functionality without
    really adding anything.

    Or maybe I'm just bitter.

  3. Re: Future

    On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 08:24:16 -0400, "Ennev"
    wrote:

    >What do you think the next iteration of Palm OS will be like ?
    >
    >Will it be a "Phone only" thing ?

    The next iteration of the PalmOS is being written as we speak in both
    California and Japan.

    PalmSource, the company which Palm spun off to develop the PalmOS
    actually did produce a next generation PalmOS code-named "Cobalt" but
    it was rejected by all of its licensees -- including ironically
    enough, Palm. It then decided to start over with a new Linux-based
    version. They then where bought by a Japanese company named Access (if
    you own a newer PalmOS device like the Palm Treo 680 or Centro you
    might have noticed that it displays and "Access Powered" logo during a
    reset) which is hoping to make what they are now calling the "Access
    Linux Platform" or ALP into the centerpiece of a new smartphone
    platform. It is going to be backwards compatible with the current
    version of the PalmOS (AKA Garnet) and its Garnet emulator is already
    available as an emulator which runs on some Linux-based devices like
    the Nokia 810. But you probably won't see an ALP phone in the United
    States. Access is a Japanese company and they are concentrating on
    expanding into the Chinese market.

    Palm has been much quieter about its own Linux-based PalmOS successor,
    codenamed "Nova." They claim that they'll have Nova devices available
    by 2009 but have been shy about committing to a real deadline. They've
    said little about whether it will be backwards compatible and have
    claimed that the PDA market is mature and that it will continue to
    decline and be displaced by the smartphone market. This implies that
    Nova will likely be a phone-only affair. But Palm has complained about
    being under the thumb of the cell phone carriers and even talked about
    introducing a mini-laptop last year as a "mobile companion" for
    smartphone users. So they do have a desire to create a non-phone
    device but it is questionable whether or not they know what to do
    based on how badly their attempt to roll out their mobile companion
    blew up in their faces last year.

    The bottom line? Don't hold your breath waiting for a next-generation
    Palm PDA.

    --
    Cause, really, nothing says "I'm a counter culture
    rebel, fighting the establishment" like an Aibo on

    Roberto Castillo
    robertocastillo@ameritech.net
    http://mind-grapes.blogspot.com/
    http://zombie-gulch.myminicity.com/

  4. Re: Future

    On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 18:17:59 -0600, DevilsPGD
    wrote:

    >In message <48171370.1624.palmpalm002@mtlgeek.synchro.net> "Ennev"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>What do you think the next iteration of Palm OS will be like ?
    >>
    >>Will it be a "Phone only" thing ?

    >Based on Palm's recent history, it will look and feel exactly like the
    >current one, but have a minor point release difference and a couple new
    >features that break some existing third party functionality without
    >really adding anything.
    >
    >Or maybe I'm just bitter.

    I'd settle for a refreshed Palm TX with updated software and 4GB of
    flash or an updated LifeDrive with a 30GB hard drive and slide out
    keyboard.
    --
    "You ever seen a house decorated by a straight guy? It's all
    plaid and wood."

    Roberto Castillo
    robertocastillo@ameritech.net
    http://mind-grapes.blogspot.com/
    http://zombie-gulch.myminicity.com/

  5. Re: Future

    On 29 Apr 2008, Zombie Elvis
    wrote:

    > On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 18:17:59 -0600, DevilsPGD
    > wrote:
    >
    >>In message <48171370.1624.palmpalm002@mtlgeek.synchro.net> "Ennev"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>What do you think the next iteration of Palm OS will be like ?
    >>>
    >>>Will it be a "Phone only" thing ?

    >>Based on Palm's recent history, it will look and feel exactly like
    >>the current one, but have a minor point release difference and a
    >>couple new features that break some existing third party
    >>functionality without really adding anything.
    >>
    >>Or maybe I'm just bitter.

    > I'd settle for a refreshed Palm TX with updated software and 4GB
    > of flash or an updated LifeDrive with a 30GB hard drive and slide
    > out keyboard.

    I'd settle for the TX I have now if it did everything its supposed to
    do ;-) Talk about low expectations!

    Dave

    --
    D.a.v.i.d T.i.k.t.i.n
    t.i.k.t.i.n [at] a.d.v.a.n.c.e.d.r.e.l.a.y [dot] c.o.m

  6. Re: Future

    Sound like you are bitter :-)

    I think that what made the strength of palm was the fact it was an open
    platform.

    But maybe it will change !

    --

    BBS: telnet://mtlgeek.synchro.net/
    Blog: http://ennev.livejournal.com/

    -=<>=--=<>=--=<>=--=<>=--=<>=--=<>=--=<>=--=<>=-

    "DevilsPGD" a écrit dans le message de news:
    109f14t32e7miii0r6i0q7dp588mgjckf5@4ax.com...
    > In message <48171370.1624.palmpalm002@mtlgeek.synchro.net> "Ennev"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>What do you think the next iteration of Palm OS will be like ?
    >>
    >>Will it be a "Phone only" thing ?

    > Based on Palm's recent history, it will look and feel exactly like the
    > current one, but have a minor point release difference and a couple new
    > features that break some existing third party functionality without
    > really adding anything.
    >
    > Or maybe I'm just bitter.

  7. Re: Future

    Sound like you are bitter :-)

    I think that what made the strength of palm was the fact it was an open
    platform.

    But maybe it will change !

    --

    BBS: telnet://mtlgeek.synchro.net/
    Blog: http://ennev.livejournal.com/
    Web: http://www.ennev.com/
    Art: http://ennev.deviantart.com

    -=<>=--=<>=--=<>=--=<>=--=<>=--=<>=--=<>=--=<>=-

    "DevilsPGD" a écrit dans le message de news:
    109f14t32e7miii0r6i0q7dp588mgjckf5@4ax.com...
    > In message <48171370.1624.palmpalm002@mtlgeek.synchro.net> "Ennev"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>What do you think the next iteration of Palm OS will be like ?
    >>
    >>Will it be a "Phone only" thing ?

    > Based on Palm's recent history, it will look and feel exactly like the
    > current one, but have a minor point release difference and a couple new
    > features that break some existing third party functionality without
    > really adding anything.
    >
    > Or maybe I'm just bitter.

  8. Re: Future

    Don't think i don't like my T3, when i lost it. I went to get another one
    instead of getting a TX.

    Not that i don't like it, but appart from a little more memory and wifi (i
    own a card so it was less pressing) i prefer the look and it's as or more
    fast.

    But TX would be my choice.

    But maybe more memory, to make it more a player against the itouch.

    --

    "David Tiktin" a écrit dans le message de news:
    Xns9A905A807728dtiktinnospambogusco@216.196.97.136 ...
    > On 29 Apr 2008, Zombie Elvis
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 18:17:59 -0600, DevilsPGD
    >> wrote:

    >>>Based on Palm's recent history, it will look and feel exactly like
    >>>the current one, but have a minor point release difference and a
    >>>couple new features that break some existing third party
    >>>functionality without really adding anything.
    >>>
    >>>Or maybe I'm just bitter.

    >> I'd settle for a refreshed Palm TX with updated software and 4GB
    >> of flash or an updated LifeDrive with a 30GB hard drive and slide
    >> out keyboard.

    > I'd settle for the TX I have now if it did everything its supposed to
    > do ;-) Talk about low expectations!
    >
    > Dave
    >
    > --
    > D.a.v.i.d T.i.k.t.i.n
    > t.i.k.t.i.n [at] a.d.v.a.n.c.e.d.r.e.l.a.y [dot] c.o.m

  9. Re: Future

    I bigger livedrive would be fun !

    --

    "Zombie Elvis" a écrit dans
    le message de news: jgrf14dt2cg85bbhkkrbehhknb2ndenukj@4ax.com...
    > On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 18:17:59 -0600, DevilsPGD
    > wrote:
    >
    >>In message <48171370.1624.palmpalm002@mtlgeek.synchro.net> "Ennev"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>What do you think the next iteration of Palm OS will be like ?
    >>>
    >>>Will it be a "Phone only" thing ?

    >>Based on Palm's recent history, it will look and feel exactly like the
    >>current one, but have a minor point release difference and a couple new
    >>features that break some existing third party functionality without
    >>really adding anything.
    >>
    >>Or maybe I'm just bitter.

    > I'd settle for a refreshed Palm TX with updated software and 4GB of
    > flash or an updated LifeDrive with a 30GB hard drive and slide out
    > keyboard.
    > --
    > "You ever seen a house decorated by a straight guy? It's all
    > plaid and wood."
    > -- Ray Hechler in Boomtown
    >
    > Roberto Castillo
    > robertocastillo@ameritech.net
    > http://mind-grapes.blogspot.com/
    > http://zombie-gulch.myminicity.com/

  10. Re: Future

    On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 10:53:48 -0500, David Tiktin
    wrote:

    >On 29 Apr 2008, Zombie Elvis
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I'd settle for a refreshed Palm TX with updated software and 4GB
    >> of flash or an updated LifeDrive with a 30GB hard drive and slide
    >> out keyboard.

    >I'd settle for the TX I have now if it did everything its supposed to
    >do ;-) Talk about low expectations!

    What can't the TX do that it claims that it can do? My TX is pretty
    good -- except for the lack of battery life.
    --
    "Actually, the Medium Point Bic Round Stick is the preferred
    pen for emergency tracheotomies."

    Roberto Castillo
    robertocastillo@ameritech.net
    http://mind-grapes.blogspot.com/
    http://zombie-gulch.myminicity.com/

  11. Re: Future

    On 30 Apr 2008, Zombie Elvis
    wrote:

    > On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 10:53:48 -0500, David Tiktin
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On 29 Apr 2008, Zombie Elvis
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'd settle for a refreshed Palm TX with updated software and 4GB
    >>> of flash or an updated LifeDrive with a 30GB hard drive and
    >>> slide out keyboard.

    >>I'd settle for the TX I have now if it did everything its supposed
    >>to do ;-) Talk about low expectations!
    >>

    > What can't the TX do that it claims that it can do? My TX is
    > pretty good -- except for the lack of battery life.

    Display a .PDF or .DOC without crashing? Well, it *can*. When the
    moon is full, I think ;-) Seriously, many of the most potentially
    useful applications just crash *way* too often for my taste. And
    random hangs are not uncommon. It can be maddening. It doesn't make
    the device unusable (I love my TX), and it's a lovely piece of
    hardware (except for no 802.11g and no microphone). But the base
    software package it ships with definitely needs work. 2 years after
    I bought my TX, there's still not been an update.

    Dave

    --
    D.a.v.i.d T.i.k.t.i.n
    t.i.k.t.i.n [at] a.d.v.a.n.c.e.d.r.e.l.a.y [dot] c.o.m

  12. Re: Future

    wrote:

    >What do you think the next iteration of Palm OS will be like ?
    >
    >Will it be a "Phone only" thing ?

    It's called bankruptcy.

+ Reply to Thread