New PDAPARTS.COM digitizer installed in my T|X - Palmtop

This is a discussion on New PDAPARTS.COM digitizer installed in my T|X - Palmtop ; Within the last week, I ordered, received, and installed the glass digitizer for the T|X from PDAPARTS.COM So far, I am very pleased with the results, and I thought I'd share whatever useful and/or interesting observations I might have regarding ...

  1. New PDAPARTS.COM digitizer installed in my T|X

    Within the last week, I ordered, received, and installed the glass
    digitizer for the T|X from PDAPARTS.COM

    So far, I am very pleased with the results, and I thought I'd share
    whatever useful and/or interesting observations I might have regarding
    this.

    My stock digitizer had alignment issues from the beginning.
    Specifically, along the left side, the vertical alignment was
    significantly nonlinear. PowerDigi
    was able to
    solve this very nicely.

    However, as time went on, it developed a growing dead spot near the
    upper left, where taps would not register at all. As my T|X was under
    warranty, I could and perhaps should have just had it serviced by Palm.
    However, I'd read enough accounts from others who have had
    unsatisfactory results from that, and also accounts of how much better
    the digitizer from PDAPARTS.COM was; and concluded that the only way to
    properly fix my T|X was to acquire and install one of those.

    Alas, at the time I decided to go this route, PDAPARTS.COM was out of
    stock on this digitizer, and not sure when they were going to have more,
    so I spent several weeks becoming increasingly skilled at working around
    my dead spot.

    Just last week, I finally received the long-awaited email notifying me
    that it was back in stock, so I ordered it immediately. I chose USPS
    priority shipping, and was surprised when the package arrived only two
    days later, much faster than I thought I had reason to expect. I found
    the package on my desk when I got home from work, and promptly proceeded
    into the replacement process.

    PDAPARTS.COM has an excellent video on their page that shows how to
    disassemble the T|X to the point of removing the screen. However, once
    I got to that point, I was on my own as far as figuring out how to
    separate the old digitizer from the screen, and install the new one.
    This is the part that I found most difficult, requiring the most skill,
    and for which I think there was the greatest need for clear
    instructions. I didn't have very much trouble here, but I can imagine
    that there may be some who will get to this point, having had no trouble
    disassembling their T|X to the point that the video shows, and then find
    that this part is beyond their skill.

    On completing the installation and reassembly, I found that the new
    digitizer worked fine, but there was an intermittent issue, of a sort
    that I am sure I have read somewhere of being occasionally seen on stock
    T|Xes and similar models. I cannot now find where I had read of this,
    but it is apparently caused by part of the digitizer making contact with
    part of the case, causing a "false tap" effect. When this occurred, I
    found that I could make it go away (temporarily) by very gently twisting
    the whole unit in my hands.

    That is the state in which my T|X was when I went to bed that night.
    I awoke the next morning with a vision in my head as to how to solve it.

    I disassembled my T|X again, to the point of removing the screen. I
    then applied a very thin strip of Scotch tape along the front of the
    left and right edges of the digitizer. I placed a strip of tape along
    each side, on the front, covering only the portion which corresponded to
    the adhesive on the back (which holds the digitizer to the LCD) and not
    extending into the sensitive part of the digitizer. This way, when I
    reassembled the T|X, the pressure that the case was occasionally
    applying to the edge of the sensitive area of the digitizer is now born,
    via the tape, entirely by the insensitive edge.

    Having made that last repair, I am happy to report that my T|X with
    its new digitizer has ever since behaved flawlessly, with no other
    issues.

    The new digitizer is clearly very far superior to the stock digitizer
    that Palm used. It has a much better feel to it, and does not require
    nearly so heavy a touch.

    With PowerDigi disabled, I find that the alignment is very close to
    perfectly linear. My old digitizer had areas which were off by two or
    three millimeters. The biggest nonlinearities I can find in the new
    digitizer are so small that I can barely see them when I try very hard
    to do so --not more than about 0.2 or 0.3 of a millimeter at most; and
    PowerDigi, when enabled, makes it impossible for me to detect any
    nonlinearity or other inaccuracy at all.

    In terms of overall feel, in terms of precision, linearity, and
    consistency, this digitizer is, as I have said, very far superior to the
    one that Palm provided, even before the stock digitizer started to fail.

    If I were to buy another T|X, I would not wait for its digitizer to
    fail; I would promptly order this digitizer and install it. A T|X with
    this digitizer installed is a far better product than a T|X with the
    stock digitizer; enough so to be well worth the expense and trouble
    involved.

    --
    Our enemies shall talk themselves to death, and
    we will bury them with their own confusion.

  2. Re: New PDAPARTS.COM digitizer installed in my T|X

    Well done! I own a T3 and recognise that you have to be prepared to replace
    digitizers. Having owned several palms, I have come to the conclusion that
    dizitizers eventually degrade and have to be replaced(I don't know, but I
    suspect it has something to do with degrading of the components in the
    digitizer and very little to do with wear and tear). Once replaced, the Palm
    is restored to a new machine. Batteries also need to be periodically
    replaced.
    I found that , to remove the old digitizer, you needed a small sharp knife
    (like a small Swiss Army Knife). You slid the blade in next to the metal
    casing of the screen and cut round. This neatly lifted the digitizer off the
    screen casing. The new digitizer would stick on, using the residual glue
    which was left on the screen casing.
    The only other two tips: backup the palm before you start and do everything
    possible to avoid dust.

  3. Re: New PDAPARTS.COM digitizer installed in my T|X

    In article ,
    "Mag" wrote:

    > Well done! I own a T3 and recognise that you have to be prepared to replace
    > digitizers. Having owned several palms, I have come to the conclusion that
    > dizitizers eventually degrade and have to be replaced(I don't know, but I
    > suspect it has something to do with degrading of the components in the
    > digitizer and very little to do with wear and tear).

    I've owned several PDA (though, all were Sony Cliés except for my T|X
    and my first, which was a Palm M105). I used each one heavily until
    something broke and I could no longer repair it. This is the first time
    I ever had these kind of digitizer issues; apparently, the T|X and its
    close relatives that use the same digitizer are notorious for these
    issues.

    > The new digitizer would stick on, using the residual glue
    > which was left on the screen casing.

    The PDAPARTS.COM digitizer has fresh adhesive on it. Just peel off
    the backing paper and stick it on. Well, it's tricker than that, of
    course, but that's how it deals with the adhesive issue.

    --
    Our enemies shall talk themselves to death, and
    we will bury them with their own confusion.
    --
    Remove "HatesSpam" and ".invalid" from email address to contact me.

  4. Re: New PDAPARTS.COM digitizer installed in my T|X

    + Bob Blaylock :

    > Within the last week, I ordered, received, and installed the glass
    > digitizer for the T|X from PDAPARTS.COM

    Apart from being just plain better than the original,
    is it also more scratch proof?

    --
    * Harald Hanche-Olsen
    -- Bertrand Russell

  5. Re: New PDAPARTS.COM digitizer installed in my T|X

    In article ,
    Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:

    > + Bob Blaylock :
    >
    > > Within the last week, I ordered, received, and installed the glass
    > > digitizer for the T|X from PDAPARTS.COM

    > Apart from being just plain better than the original,
    > is it also more scratch proof?

    Time will tell, but if it's really glass instead of plastic, then it
    should be.

    --
    Our enemies shall talk themselves to death, and
    we will bury them with their own confusion.
    --
    Remove "HatesSpam" and ".invalid" from email address to contact me.

  6. Re: New PDAPARTS.COM digitizer installed in my T|X

    On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 16:42:57, Bob Blaylock wrote:

    > Just last week, I finally received the long-awaited email notifying me
    > that it was back in stock, so I ordered it immediately. I chose USPS
    > priority shipping, and was surprised when the package arrived only two
    > days later, much faster than I thought I had reason to expect. I found
    > the package on my desk when I got home from work, and promptly proceeded
    > into the replacement process.

    > PDAPARTS.COM has an excellent video on their page that shows how to
    > disassemble the T|X to the point of removing the screen. However, once
    > I got to that point, I was on my own as far as figuring out how to
    > separate the old digitizer from the screen, and install the new one.
    > This is the part that I found most difficult, requiring the most skill,
    > and for which I think there was the greatest need for clear
    > instructions. I didn't have very much trouble here, but I can imagine
    > that there may be some who will get to this point, having had no trouble
    > disassembling their T|X to the point that the video shows, and then find
    > that this part is beyond their skill.

    > On completing the installation and reassembly, I found that the new
    > digitizer worked fine, but there was an intermittent issue, of a sort
    > that I am sure I have read somewhere of being occasionally seen on stock
    > T|Xes and similar models. I cannot now find where I had read of this,
    > but it is apparently caused by part of the digitizer making contact with
    > part of the case, causing a "false tap" effect. When this occurred, I
    > found that I could make it go away (temporarily) by very gently twisting
    > the whole unit in my hands.

    EXECUTIVE SUMMARY: the ribbon cable connector is a ZIF connection when
    you lift up the black hinge!

    I did almost the same thing, but I had a less pleasant experience apon
    reassembling my TX. I think have crimped and damaged the thin ribbon
    cable that attaches to the back of the screen. I wasn't familiar with
    that type of connector and assumed that it was a "rip out the old
    cable, push in the new until it clicks" kind of connector.

    Rather, after reassembly and discovering the digitizer is now
    completely unresponsive, I took it apart again and realized that the
    connector is a "flip up the black hinge on the connector and
    everything works easily."

    I tried swapping back to the old digitizer, but to no avail.

    I'm now the owner of an otherwise working TX with a non-working digitizer.

    :-(

    Rather than mess with getting another digitizer or buying a new TX,
    I've broken down and purchased a used Treo 755p from ebay. If I'm not
    happy with it, I'll probably replace it when my family plan contract
    runs out this August.

    -alan

    --
    Alan Hoyle - alanh@unc.edu - http://www.alanhoyle.com/