Want to replace my TX, but what's out there? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Want to replace my TX, but what's out there? - Palmtop ; I've been a palm user since a PalmPilot Professional. I've been using a TX for just under 2 years now, and while it's a decent device, the serious limitations on the web browser have made me yearn for something else. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 43

  1. Want to replace my TX, but what's out there?

    I've been a palm user since a PalmPilot Professional. I've been using
    a TX for just under 2 years now, and while it's a decent device, the
    serious limitations on the web browser have made me yearn for
    something else. I've tried Opera Mini, Blazer, and NetFront, but I'm
    still disappointed by all of them.

    Does there exist a non-phone replacement (of any OS) that includes a
    good browser (ala Nokia n810/iPod Touch) that also includes good PDA
    functions (i.e. addressbook/calendar)?

    It just doesn't seem like such a beast exists.

    -alan

    --
    Alan Hoyle - alanh@unc.edu - http://www.alanhoyle.com/

  2. Re: Want to replace my TX, but what's out there?

    Previously on comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, Alan Hoyle said:

    > I've been a palm user since a PalmPilot Professional. I've been using
    > a TX for just under 2 years now, and while it's a decent device, the
    > serious limitations on the web browser have made me yearn for
    > something else. I've tried Opera Mini, Blazer, and NetFront, but I'm
    > still disappointed by all of them.
    >
    > Does there exist a non-phone replacement (of any OS) that includes a
    > good browser (ala Nokia n810/iPod Touch) that also includes good PDA
    > functions (i.e. addressbook/calendar)?
    >
    > It just doesn't seem like such a beast exists.

    I'm guessing that the iPod Touch will fit the bill when the third party
    software starts coming out in a couple of months.

    On the other hand, I understand that Opera Mini as a native app (rather
    than a Java app) is quite good. Too bad it's not available that way
    for the Palm. On the gripping hand, rumor has it that Opera Mini will
    be the built-in browser in the next gen of Palm, if/whenever that
    happens.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    Peter's Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord, #35. I
    will not grow a goatee. In the old days they made you look diabolic.
    Now they just make you look like a disaffected member of Generation X.

  3. Re: Want to replace my TX, but what's out there?

    In article <6799sbF2nmc2cU1@mid.individual.net>, alanh@unc.edu says...
    > I've been a palm user since a PalmPilot Professional. I've been using
    > a TX for just under 2 years now, and while it's a decent device, the
    > serious limitations on the web browser have made me yearn for
    > something else. I've tried Opera Mini, Blazer, and NetFront, but I'm
    > still disappointed by all of them.
    >
    > Does there exist a non-phone replacement (of any OS) that includes a
    > good browser (ala Nokia n810/iPod Touch) that also includes good PDA
    > functions (i.e. addressbook/calendar)?
    >
    > It just doesn't seem like such a beast exists.
    >
    > -alan

    Best web browser is on the iPhone, but terrable as a PDA.

    Try it does a great job of
    finding the perfect device for your needs.

  4. Re: Want to replace my TX, but what's out there?

    On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 13:52:36 -0400, Jeffrey Kaplan
    wrote:

    >Previously on comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, Alan Hoyle said:

    >> Does there exist a non-phone replacement (of any OS) that includes a
    >> good browser (ala Nokia n810/iPod Touch) that also includes good PDA
    >> functions (i.e. addressbook/calendar)?
    >>
    >> It just doesn't seem like such a beast exists.

    >I'm guessing that the iPod Touch will fit the bill when the third party
    >software starts coming out in a couple of months.
    >
    >On the other hand, I understand that Opera Mini as a native app (rather
    >than a Java app) is quite good. Too bad it's not available that way
    >for the Palm. On the gripping hand, rumor has it that Opera Mini will
    >be the built-in browser in the next gen of Palm, if/whenever that
    >happens.

    Opera Mini was supposed to be the built-in browser in the Palm Foleo
    which was killed by Palm before being released.
    --
    Cause, really, nothing says "I'm a counter culture
    rebel, fighting the establishment" like an Aibo on

    Roberto Castillo
    robertocastillo@ameritech.net
    http://mind-grapes.blogspot.com/
    http://zombie-gulch.myminicity.com/

  5. Re: Want to replace my TX, but what's out there?

    On 2008-04-23, Alan Hoyle wrote:
    > I've been a palm user since a PalmPilot Professional. I've been using
    > a TX for just under 2 years now, and while it's a decent device, the
    > serious limitations on the web browser have made me yearn for
    > something else. I've tried Opera Mini, Blazer, and NetFront, but I'm
    > still disappointed by all of them.
    >
    > Does there exist a non-phone replacement (of any OS) that includes a
    > good browser (ala Nokia n810/iPod Touch) that also includes good PDA
    > functions (i.e. addressbook/calendar)?

    I'm in the exact same boat. I'm -> <- this close to buying an n810 and
    using the Garnet VM for
    PDA functionality. My main hesitation is in how well the VM is integrated.
    E.g., I rely heavily on DateBk alarms -- I don't know how well those work
    with the VM (i.e. do they work as system sounds).

    But, right now, the n800/n810 seems to be the best option.

    --
    Joshua Baker-LePain
    Department of Biomedical Engineering

  6. Re: Want to replace my TX, but what's out there?

    On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 14:20:49, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
    > On 2008-04-23, Alan Hoyle wrote:
    >> I've been a palm user since a PalmPilot Professional. I've been using
    >> a TX for just under 2 years now, and while it's a decent device, the
    >> serious limitations on the web browser have made me yearn for
    >> something else. I've tried Opera Mini, Blazer, and NetFront, but I'm
    >> still disappointed by all of them.
    >>
    >> Does there exist a non-phone replacement (of any OS) that includes a
    >> good browser (ala Nokia n810/iPod Touch) that also includes good PDA
    >> functions (i.e. addressbook/calendar)?

    > I'm in the exact same boat. I'm -> <- this close to buying an n810 and
    > using the Garnet VM for
    > PDA functionality. My main hesitation is in how well the VM is integrated.
    > E.g., I rely heavily on DateBk alarms -- I don't know how well those work
    > with the VM (i.e. do they work as system sounds).

    > But, right now, the n800/n810 seems to be the best option.

    I have exactly the same problem, DateBk6 and everything. Does anyone
    know how the n810 w/VM works as for PIM/Alarms? Brighthand's n810
    review had a note that they were going to post a followup
    article/review/commentary on that exact issue, but I never saw the
    article.

    Quoting: http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=13497

    [...referring to ACCESS Emulator...] "However, I have not yet
    experimented with this much, and it's such a large topic that I'm
    going to cover it in a separate article."

    I do remember reading somewhere that the n810 doesn't really have a
    screen-off "sleep" mode, which might limit its usefulness in this
    respect, but I would want confirmation before discarding this idea.

    The rumors of an iPod Touch Palm emulator are also promising, but then
    the supposed limitation on "one app at a time" doesn't sound very
    promising either.

    -alan

    --
    Alan Hoyle - alanh@unc.edu - http://www.alanhoyle.com/

  7. Re: Want to replace my TX, but what's out there?

    To: Jim Anderson
    Wait for the apps later this summer. That may change everything.

    I bet that any major apps maker that use to had great product on the palm os
    platform are already playing with the ipod's SDK at this moment.

    --

    BBS: telnet://mtlgeek.synchro.net/
    Blog: http://ennev.livejournal.com/

    -=<>=--=<>=--=<>=--=<>=--=<>=--=<>=--=<>=--=<>=-

    "Jim Anderson" a écrit dans le message
    de news: MPG.2279340deac0113c9896a7@news.frontiernet.net...
    > In article <6799sbF2nmc2cU1@mid.individual.net>, alanh@unc.edu says...
    >> I've been a palm user since a PalmPilot Professional. I've been using
    >> a TX for just under 2 years now, and while it's a decent device, the
    >> serious limitations on the web browser have made me yearn for
    >> something else. I've tried Opera Mini, Blazer, and NetFront, but I'm
    >> still disappointed by all of them.
    >>
    >> Does there exist a non-phone replacement (of any OS) that includes a
    >> good browser (ala Nokia n810/iPod Touch) that also includes good PDA
    >> functions (i.e. addressbook/calendar)?
    >>
    >> It just doesn't seem like such a beast exists.
    >>
    >> -alan
    >>

    > Best web browser is on the iPhone, but terrable as a PDA.
    >
    > Try it does a great job of
    > finding the perfect device for your needs.

  8. Re: Want to replace my TX, but what's out there?

    In message <481136AB.1577.palmpalm002@mtlgeek.synchro.net> "Ennev"
    wrote:

    >I bet that any major apps maker that use to had great product on the palm os
    >platform are already playing with the ipod's SDK at this moment.

    You'd lose that bet, there is at least one who is not.

    The lack of a functional way to rapidly enter data is a dealbreaker for
    many users, and compounding that the API limitations have scared off at
    least one fairly major software vendor.

    An NDA prohibits me from spelling out which one, but if you've owned a
    Palm in the last five years and installed the software included on the
    CD, odds are very good you have at least a passing familiarity with
    their software.

  9. Re: Want to replace my TX, but what's out there?

    Previously on comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, DevilsPGD said:

    > The lack of a functional way to rapidly enter data is a dealbreaker for
    > many users, and compounding that the API limitations have scared off at
    > least one fairly major software vendor.

    Then that "major software vendor" is going to miss out on a potentially
    big market. I know several people who now have an iPhone, and none of
    them have problems quickly entering text. I've tried out the keyboard
    on the iPhone and I find it to be no worse than the keyboard on the
    Treo, and in some ways better.

    > An NDA prohibits me from spelling out which one, but if you've owned a
    > Palm in the last five years and installed the software included on the
    > CD, odds are very good you have at least a passing familiarity with
    > their software.

    I don't suppose you'll confirm or deny a guess, but I'm going to guess
    DataViz (Documents To Go is the app in question).

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    Peter's Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord, #35. I
    will not grow a goatee. In the old days they made you look diabolic.
    Now they just make you look like a disaffected member of Generation X.

  10. Re: Want to replace my TX, but what's out there?

    In message Jeffrey
    Kaplan wrote:

    >Previously on comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, DevilsPGD said:
    >
    >> The lack of a functional way to rapidly enter data is a dealbreaker for
    >> many users, and compounding that the API limitations have scared off at
    >> least one fairly major software vendor.

    >Then that "major software vendor" is going to miss out on a potentially
    >big market. I know several people who now have an iPhone, and none of
    >them have problems quickly entering text. I've tried out the keyboard
    >on the iPhone and I find it to be no worse than the keyboard on the
    >Treo, and in some ways better.

    Having access to Palm, WM and an iPod Touch, I'd most definitely
    disagree. However, I'm a touch typer.

    The iPod Touch isn't bad, if you're the type to look at your keyboard
    while you type, don't use any punctuation aside from a period, and don't
    regularly type words that aren't in the dictionary.

    On my Treo, I pretty regularly typed with my device under the table, or
    jotted notes when I was looking someone in the face. I've yet to see
    anyone who can do this on the iPhone keyboard.

    I had the opportunity to get together with a few guys from various
    international markets with iPhones, all fairly heavy phone users (geeks)

    On my AT&T TILT, I could type only slightly faster for conversational
    emails, but when it came to typing the names of each of the visitors and
    their company names, not all of the iPhone guys even finished before
    they got frustrated.

    I wish I could find a WM or Palm device with anywhere near the screen,
    form factor, battery life (with WiFi on) or browser. I don't use the
    iPod as a music player much, I mainly use it as an internet device.

    Palm finally ticked me off (I believe I posted my rant here before, but
    if not, let me know and I'll toss a URL) so I switched over to an HTC
    8925 / AT&T TILT instead. I've still got my Treo 680 and LifeDrive
    kicking around.

  11. Re: Want to replace my TX, but what's out there?

    "DevilsPGD" wrote in message

    > On my AT&T TILT, I could type only slightly faster for conversational
    > emails, but when it came to typing the names of each of the visitors and
    > their company names, not all of the iPhone guys even finished before
    > they got frustrated.
    >

    > Palm finally ticked me off (I believe I posted my rant here before, but
    > if not, let me know and I'll toss a URL) so I switched over to an HTC
    > 8925 / AT&T TILT instead. I've still got my Treo 680 and LifeDrive
    > kicking around.

    I can't find "8925" on the HTC web site. Have they renamed it? Is it
    obsolete? Can you help, please?

    Harold Fuchs
    London, England

  12. Re: Want to replace my TX, but what's out there?

    In message "Harold Fuchs"
    wrote:

    >"DevilsPGD" wrote in message
    >

    >> On my AT&T TILT, I could type only slightly faster for conversational
    >> emails, but when it came to typing the names of each of the visitors and
    >> their company names, not all of the iPhone guys even finished before
    >> they got frustrated.
    >>

    >> Palm finally ticked me off (I believe I posted my rant here before, but
    >> if not, let me know and I'll toss a URL) so I switched over to an HTC
    >> 8925 / AT&T TILT instead. I've still got my Treo 680 and LifeDrive
    >> kicking around.

    >I can't find "8925" on the HTC web site. Have they renamed it? Is it
    >obsolete? Can you help, please?

    The phone with many names...

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTC_TyTN_II

    HTC 8925 isn't really accurate, just a bad habit from one online forum

    AT&T TILT, AT&T 8925, HTC Kaiser, HTC TyTN II are the most common names.

  13. Re: Want to replace my TX, but what's out there?

    Previously on comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, DevilsPGD said:

    > Having access to Palm, WM and an iPod Touch, I'd most definitely
    > disagree. However, I'm a touch typer.

    I can touch-type (usually) on the full-size keyboard on my desktop, and
    occasionally on the slightly smaller keyboard on my laptop. I cannot
    touch-type at all on my media center keyboard (PS3 w/wireless keyboard)
    nor on my Treo.

    > The iPod Touch isn't bad, if you're the type to look at your keyboard
    > while you type, don't use any punctuation aside from a period, and don't
    > regularly type words that aren't in the dictionary.

    I use punctuation, but since I can never remember where they are on the
    Treo anyway...

    > On my Treo, I pretty regularly typed with my device under the table, or
    > jotted notes when I was looking someone in the face. I've yet to see
    > anyone who can do this on the iPhone keyboard.

    If I tried that, all you'd get is gibberish.

    > Palm finally ticked me off (I believe I posted my rant here before, but
    > if not, let me know and I'll toss a URL) so I switched over to an HTC
    > 8925 / AT&T TILT instead. I've still got my Treo 680 and LifeDrive
    > kicking around.

    The Tilt, and if it gets here in time the HTC Touch Dual, are top
    contenders along with the iPhone for me as a replacement to the Treo.
    I'm just waiting for the third party software to come out for the
    iPhone before deciding. As you mentioned, the screen and browser is a
    huge plus, but there are some software tools that I simply won't or
    cannot do without, and I know they're available on WM devices.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "God loves you, and I love you. And you can count in both of us as a
    powerful message that the people who wonder about their future can
    hear." - George W. Bush, Mar 3, 2004

  14. Re: Want to replace my TX, but what's out there?

    On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 01:48:12 -0600, DevilsPGD
    wrote:

    >In message Jeffrey
    >Kaplan wrote:
    >
    >>Previously on comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, DevilsPGD said:
    >>
    >>> The lack of a functional way to rapidly enter data is a dealbreaker for
    >>> many users, and compounding that the API limitations have scared off at
    >>> least one fairly major software vendor.

    >>Then that "major software vendor" is going to miss out on a potentially
    >>big market. I know several people who now have an iPhone, and none of
    >>them have problems quickly entering text. I've tried out the keyboard
    >>on the iPhone and I find it to be no worse than the keyboard on the
    >>Treo, and in some ways better.

    >Having access to Palm, WM and an iPod Touch, I'd most definitely
    >disagree. However, I'm a touch typer.
    >
    >The iPod Touch isn't bad, if you're the type to look at your keyboard
    >while you type, don't use any punctuation aside from a period, and don't
    >regularly type words that aren't in the dictionary.
    >
    >On my Treo, I pretty regularly typed with my device under the table, or
    >jotted notes when I was looking someone in the face. I've yet to see
    >anyone who can do this on the iPhone keyboard.
    >
    >I had the opportunity to get together with a few guys from various
    >international markets with iPhones, all fairly heavy phone users (geeks)
    >
    >On my AT&T TILT, I could type only slightly faster for conversational
    >emails, but when it came to typing the names of each of the visitors and
    >their company names, not all of the iPhone guys even finished before
    >they got frustrated.
    >
    >I wish I could find a WM or Palm device with anywhere near the screen,
    >form factor, battery life (with WiFi on) or browser. I don't use the
    >iPod as a music player much, I mainly use it as an internet device.
    >
    >Palm finally ticked me off (I believe I posted my rant here before, but
    >if not, let me know and I'll toss a URL) so I switched over to an HTC
    >8925 / AT&T TILT instead. I've still got my Treo 680 and LifeDrive
    >kicking around.

    What I cannot figure out is why Palm just... gave up. (Perhaps you
    said something similar in your rant.) Like Corel with WordPerfect,
    they evidently decided several years ago that making substantive
    improvements was not worth bothering with, and settled on the business
    model of milking their existing user base for revenue as long as they
    could.

    All I want is something like my Sony Clie TH-55 (slim form factor, 320
    x 480 screen, multimedia capabilities) that is a phone too. All that
    is available is the basic 320 x 320 Treo, still the same thing as the
    original with tweaked form factors and minor updates.

  15. Re: Want to replace my TX, but what's out there?

    Previously on comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, Mike Koenecke said:

    > What I cannot figure out is why Palm just... gave up. (Perhaps you
    > said something similar in your rant.) Like Corel with WordPerfect,
    > they evidently decided several years ago that making substantive
    > improvements was not worth bothering with, and settled on the business
    > model of milking their existing user base for revenue as long as they
    > could.

    I think they lost the plot with OS6, and have been treading water ever
    since. They "finished" OS6, but was never able to sell it to their
    licensees, and for some reason decided to not use it themselves. This
    was before the company split into PalmSource (OS) and palmOne
    (hardware).

    > All I want is something like my Sony Clie TH-55 (slim form factor, 320

    Sony, the most successful licensee, bailed on Palm after their failed
    attempt to purchase the OS side of things.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    Peter's Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord, #168.
    I will plan in advance what to do with each of my enemies if they are
    captured. That way, I will never have to order someone to be tied up
    while I decide his fate.

  16. Re: Want to replace my TX, but what's out there?

    On 2008-04-24, Alan Hoyle wrote:
    > On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 14:20:49, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Does there exist a non-phone replacement (of any OS) that includes a
    >>> good browser (ala Nokia n810/iPod Touch) that also includes good PDA
    >>> functions (i.e. addressbook/calendar)?

    >> I'm in the exact same boat. I'm -> <- this close to buying an n810 and
    >> using the Garnet VM for
    >> PDA functionality. My main hesitation is in how well the VM is integrated.
    >> E.g., I rely heavily on DateBk alarms -- I don't know how well those work
    >> with the VM (i.e. do they work as system sounds).

    >> But, right now, the n800/n810 seems to be the best option.

    > I have exactly the same problem, DateBk6 and everything. Does anyone
    > know how the n810 w/VM works as for PIM/Alarms? Brighthand's n810
    > review had a note that they were going to post a followup
    > article/review/commentary on that exact issue, but I never saw the
    > article.

    So, I spent some time digging through
    today. From what I gathered, sounds from the GarnetVM work, except when
    they don't. And, obviously, you have to have the VM running for them to
    work at all. So it's definitely not a perfect solution.

    The most promising native PIM apps for the n8xx seemed to be
    (possibly buggy on
    OS2008, more than likely not nearly as polished at DateBk6). GPE (needs to
    be running for alarms to work, except when they don't) and KDEPIMPI (not
    quite there yet) are also contenders.

    In short, it may be able to be made to work, but the experience is
    definitely going to be inferior to a Palm. To an extent, that's to be
    expected, as Palms are custom built for PIM. But it's disappointing all the
    same.

    I refuse to use a WinMo device. And I truly doubt there will be a big
    market for PIM apps on the iPod Touch (and the "no background apps"
    limitation pretty much kills any sort of alarm function anyway). So the
    "perfect" device just doesn't seem to be there yet. *sigh*

    --
    Joshua Baker-LePain
    Department of Biomedical Engineering
    Duke University

  17. Re: Want to replace my TX, but what's out there?

    "DevilsPGD" wrote in message

    >>> Palm finally ticked me off (I believe I posted my rant here before, but
    >>> if not, let me know and I'll toss a URL) so I switched over to an HTC
    >>> 8925 / AT&T TILT instead. I've still got my Treo 680 and LifeDrive
    >>> kicking around.

    >>I can't find "8925" on the HTC web site. Have they renamed it? Is it
    >>obsolete? Can you help, please?

    > The phone with many names...
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTC_TyTN_II
    >
    > HTC 8925 isn't really accurate, just a bad habit from one online forum
    >

    > AT&T TILT, AT&T 8925, HTC Kaiser, HTC TyTN II are the most common names.

    Thank you.

    Harold Fuchs
    London, England

  18. Re: Want to replace my TX, but what's out there?

    In article news:, Joshua
    Baker-LePain wrote:
    > The most promising native PIM apps for the n8xx seemed to be

    Interesting link. Thanks for that.

    The N810 seems to be the most interesting hardware available --
    certainly the most interesting non-phone hardware -- though some of the
    WinMo hardware one can buy looks as though it would be nice to use if
    it had stable software to run on it. I am really starting to wish I'd
    bought one of the Neo1973 dev kits when they were still available

    At present I'm still using my Palm Tungsten|T(1), but the case is
    becoming increasingly loose and in secure and the stylus alternately
    either sticks in its holder and won't come out at all or falls out when
    not wanted. It's really tragic that there doesn't seem to be any worthy
    successor.

    > I refuse to use a WinMo device.

    I'd happily use one if the platform was even remotely stable and the
    apps had a basic level of utility. Unfortunately my experience to date
    is that neither can be expected.

    > And I truly doubt there will be a big market for PIM apps on the iPod
    > Touch (and the "no background apps" limitation pretty much kills any
    > sort of alarm function anyway).

    The Palm doesn't support background apps, but can switch apps on alarm
    events. I haven't seen the iPod/iPhone programming model so I don't
    know whether the same sort of thing is available there ... but I can't
    believe that any sort of device that claimed to offer PIM functionality
    and didn't support alarms would have any success at all, so surely
    something is possible?

    Cheers,
    Daniel.

  19. Re: Want to replace my TX, but what's out there?

    In message Joshua Baker-LePain
    wrote:

    >And I truly doubt there will be a big
    >market for PIM apps on the iPod Touch (and the "no background apps"
    >limitation pretty much kills any sort of alarm function anyway). So the
    >"perfect" device just doesn't seem to be there yet. *sigh*

    No-background-apps doesn't have to mean that alarms aren't possible via
    some sort of alert manager, similar to a Palm.

  20. Re: Want to replace my TX, but what's out there?

    In message Jeffrey
    Kaplan wrote:

    >Previously on comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, DevilsPGD said:
    >
    >> Having access to Palm, WM and an iPod Touch, I'd most definitely
    >> disagree. However, I'm a touch typer.

    >I can touch-type (usually) on the full-size keyboard on my desktop, and
    >occasionally on the slightly smaller keyboard on my laptop. I cannot
    >touch-type at all on my media center keyboard (PS3 w/wireless keyboard)
    >nor on my Treo.

    I can't touch-type on my media center keyboard, but I can on my Treo
    680, and on my AT&T TILT.

    >> The iPod Touch isn't bad, if you're the type to look at your keyboard
    >> while you type, don't use any punctuation aside from a period, and don't
    >> regularly type words that aren't in the dictionary.

    >I use punctuation, but since I can never remember where they are on the
    >Treo anyway...

    On the Treo I had it mastered, on the TILT I am still learning, but I'll
    get there.

    >> Palm finally ticked me off (I believe I posted my rant here before, but
    >> if not, let me know and I'll toss a URL) so I switched over to an HTC
    >> 8925 / AT&T TILT instead. I've still got my Treo 680 and LifeDrive
    >> kicking around.

    >The Tilt, and if it gets here in time the HTC Touch Dual, are top
    >contenders along with the iPhone for me as a replacement to the Treo.
    >I'm just waiting for the third party software to come out for the
    >iPhone before deciding. As you mentioned, the screen and browser is a
    >huge plus, but there are some software tools that I simply won't or
    >cannot do without, and I know they're available on WM devices.

    At this point I came to the conclusion that no one device does what I
    want -- I've been there for a while, the Treo was a nice data device,
    but it was more or less useless for voice, so I carried a voice-only
    phone along with my Treo.

    I've now switched to the Tilt for voice and PDA (and I can actually do
    both at once, something I could never trust my Treo to do if there was
    an important client on the phone), but I still carry the Touch for heavy
    browsing and music.

    How cool is this, I can even have the Tilt act as a mini wifi hotspot
    for my Touch so that I can use the Touch to access the internet when I'm
    not near a hotspot.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast