Want to replace my TX, but what's out there? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Want to replace my TX, but what's out there? - Palmtop ; In message Jeffrey Kaplan wrote: >Previously on comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, DevilsPGD said: > >> >Like running an application not assigned to either a button or the >> >Start menu. When WinMob is opening from its base screen, it's showing >> >the Agenda. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 43 of 43

  1. Re: Want to replace my TX, but what's out there?

    In message Jeffrey
    Kaplan wrote:

    >Previously on comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, DevilsPGD said:
    >
    >> >Like running an application not assigned to either a button or the
    >> >Start menu. When WinMob is opening from its base screen, it's showing
    >> >the Agenda. So I have to tap Start, then Programs, then scroll the
    >> >list of unorganized icons looking for the app I want.

    >> There are alternate launchers available...

    >My take on it is that if I have to install an alternate launcher just
    >to make it usable, it's not worth the hassle. The alternate launcher I
    >use on my Treo doesn't fix the usability, it enhances the usability. I
    >can use my Treo just fine without the alternate launcher. I was unable
    >to do that with the Tilt.

    You can use folders on WM, which is very similar to Palm's categories.

    Palm's solution is a little easier to navigate, but it limits you to 15
    categories total, and doesn't offer a hierarchical structure.

    I'd take Palm's solution over WM -- In fact, I did using my launcher of
    choice.

    >> This is part of why WM tends to leave apps running in the background.

    >I'm not about to leave things like my checkbook register software
    >running constantly in the background.

    Why not?

    >> >What I dislike about it outweighed what I liked about it. I couldn't
    >> >even go a week with it, I returned the Tilt yesterday evening.

    >> Ahh. Yeah, I'd have done the same at day 2-3, it took me a good week
    >> before I learned it's quirks and started to enjoy the positives.

    >Some things I'm willing to do that with, some things I'm not. This is
    >one of those "not" items.

    My experience talking new-to-smartphone users into PalmOS has been
    similar. Us longer term PalmOS guys are already familiar with it's
    quirks and limitations, and so are less bothered by them.

    To a lot of people, the lack of anything resembling a hierarchical
    filesystem is a complete killer, yet in practice it's not much of a
    problem.

    >> Another one I forgot -- The Tilt's clock works. After two weeks without
    >> access to the cell network or a HotSync, my Treo 680's clock is now a
    >> good 45 minutes off.

    >Stop removing the battery.

    I haven't removed the battery in months, other then for the 2-3 seconds
    to reset it occasionally. This is just "natural" drift with the Treo
    sitting in it's cradle.

  2. Re: Want to replace my TX, but what's out there?

    In message Jeffrey
    Kaplan wrote:

    >On the Palm, there are Categories which are very clearly differentiated
    >from program icons because they're part of the launcher's UI, not mixed
    >in with the programs. In Windows (desktop), folders have a Folder icon
    >(unless the user changes it). In WinMob, there is no visual difference
    >between a folder icon and a program icon. There is also no way to tell
    >from positional listing if the icon is for a folder or a program,
    >because the icons were not in any kind of order I could determine - not
    >by type, not by name, and not by date.

    I think we must have purchased very different versions of Windows
    Mobile, but on mine, the "Programs" section sorts folders alphabetically
    at the top, and programs alphabetically at the bottom.

    Folders and programs can all have customized icons, but the folders all
    have a definite "folder" with a small icon in front, none of my
    installed apps have anything folder-like except for "File Explorer"
    (which makes sense, although it's a poor icon choice)

  3. Re: Want to replace my TX, but what's out there?

    Previously on comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, DevilsPGD said:

    > I think we must have purchased very different versions of Windows
    > Mobile, but on mine, the "Programs" section sorts folders alphabetically
    > at the top, and programs alphabetically at the bottom.

    I no longer have it, I returned it last Monday. But as I recall, the
    "Games and Applications" folder was in the middle of a bunch of program
    icons, not folder icons.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    Peter's Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord, #196.
    I will hire an expert marksman to stand by the entrance to my fortress.
    His job will be to shoot anyone who rides up to challenge me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3