Sync hangs at "Datebook" - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Sync hangs at "Datebook" - Palmtop ; I have a new Palm Centro and am trying to sync data from my old Tungsten. I installed the new Palm Desktop software as instructed and performed a sync. The data was moved from my desktop to my Centro, however ...

  1. Sync hangs at "Datebook"

    I have a new Palm Centro and am trying to sync data from my old Tungsten. I
    installed the new Palm Desktop software as instructed and performed a sync.
    The data was moved from my desktop to my Centro, however now when I try and
    synchronize the synch manager hangs when it reaches my Datebook. If I
    deactivate the datebook from the synch list everything is sync'ed fine. I
    have tried everything I could find in Palm's knowledge base (change user
    name, removed and reinstalled the software, checked connections in sync
    manager...) but alas...no resolution. Any suggestions?

  2. Re: Sync hangs at "Datebook"

    angharad wrote:

    >I have a new Palm Centro and am trying to sync data from my old Tungsten. I
    >installed the new Palm Desktop software as instructed and performed a sync.
    >The data was moved from my desktop to my Centro, however now when I try and
    >synchronize the synch manager hangs when it reaches my Datebook. If I
    >deactivate the datebook from the synch list everything is sync'ed fine. I
    >have tried everything I could find in Palm's knowledge base (change user
    >name, removed and reinstalled the software, checked connections in sync
    >manager...) but alas...no resolution. Any suggestions?

    Some things from such as apps won't work on the new palm units, did you go make sure that all apps

    were compatible with the new Unit? Did you visit the dev's sites to download an updated version?

    http://www.usenet.com

  3. Re: Sync hangs at "Datebook"

    Am Tue, 15 Apr 2008 22:49:01 GMT schrieb angharad:

    > I have a new Palm Centro and am trying to sync data from my old Tungsten. I
    > installed the new Palm Desktop software as instructed and performed a sync.
    > The data was moved from my desktop to my Centro, however now when I try and
    > synchronize the synch manager hangs when it reaches my Datebook. If I
    > deactivate the datebook from the synch list everything is sync'ed fine. I
    > have tried everything I could find in Palm's knowledge base (change user
    > name, removed and reinstalled the software, checked connections in sync
    > manager...) but alas...no resolution. Any suggestions?

    have you tried dbfixit?
    http://www.pimlicosoftware.com/dbfixit.htm

    perhaps it helps to find out if the database is corrupt.

    thomas
    --
    Bitte nur in der Newsgroup antworten - bitte keine Mails. Danke.
    Please do reply to the newsgroup only - no email please. Thanks.

  4. Re: Sync hangs at "Datebook"

    I have a very similar problem.

    I had to get it to sync to my old desktop pc as it wouldn't work with
    laptop. Laptop on XP pro SP2, desktop on XP home Sp2 but I cant see
    that as being the problem.

    Sync to laptop always falls over at datebook, just like your problem,
    even having re-installed palm desktop software

    After that, it fails on main pc as well and the only way to get it to
    work is:

    soft reboot of centro (remove battery, re fit)
    end task on hotsync using windows task manager, then restart hotsync
    using configure, set all of the options to 'do nothing' apart from
    datebook
    in datebook, view details and set to desktop over writes handheld
    sync
    set everything back to normal
    it then works fine and syncs normally as long as I don't try to make it
    talk to the laptop which fails to work whatever method I try

    Oh - a new feature in datebook on the pc seems to be 'category' and that
    appears to need to be set to all to make sync work although I cant see
    why - it just worked one way but not the other.

    I will try to fix the sync to laptop (which is what I really want it to
    do) but havnt given it that much thought. Please post if you come up
    with any answers and I will do the same.

    There is a tab (on the pc application) under tools - options - tools
    "check and repair" which might help you. It found and fixed some errors
    for me but failed to sort the underlying problem.

    In message , angharad
    writes
    >I have a new Palm Centro and am trying to sync data from my old Tungsten. I
    >installed the new Palm Desktop software as instructed and performed a sync.
    >The data was moved from my desktop to my Centro, however now when I try and
    >synchronize the synch manager hangs when it reaches my Datebook. If I
    >deactivate the datebook from the synch list everything is sync'ed fine. I
    >have tried everything I could find in Palm's knowledge base (change user
    >name, removed and reinstalled the software, checked connections in sync
    >manager...) but alas...no resolution. Any suggestions?

    --
    Richard C

  5. Re: Sync hangs at "Datebook"

    On Apr 16, 8:49 am, angharad wrote:
    > I have a new Palm Centro and am trying to sync data from my old Tungsten. I
    > installed the new Palm Desktop software as instructed and performed a sync.
    > The data was moved from my desktop to my Centro, however now when I try and
    > synchronize the synch manager hangs when it reaches my Datebook. If I
    > deactivate the datebook from the synch list everything is sync'ed fine. I
    > have tried everything I could find in Palm's knowledge base (change user
    > name, removed and reinstalled the software, checked connections in sync
    > manager...) but alas...no resolution. Any suggestions?

    For one thing, are you sure it is hanging? It could just be taking a
    long time (e.g. 10 minutes).

    Otherwise, if could try scanning your Datebook database for errors,
    either with dbScan (http://mytreo.net/downloads/dbscan,748.html) or
    its replacement, DbFixIt (http://www.pimlicosoftware.com/dbfixit.htm).
    You could have a corrupt or inconsistent record that stops it from
    syncing.

    Andrew

  6. Re: Sync hangs at "Datebook"

    In news:K0Ngb+COlnBIFwAR@cowling1.demon.co.uk,
    RCC typed on Wed, 16 Apr 2008 23:10:22 +0100:
    > I have a very similar problem.
    >
    > I had to get it to sync to my old desktop pc as it wouldn't work with
    > laptop. Laptop on XP pro SP2, desktop on XP home Sp2 but I cant see
    > that as being the problem.
    >
    > Sync to laptop always falls over at datebook, just like your problem,
    > even having re-installed palm desktop software
    >
    > After that, it fails on main pc as well and the only way to get it to
    > work is:
    >
    > soft reboot of centro (remove battery, re fit)
    > end task on hotsync using windows task manager, then restart hotsync
    > using configure, set all of the options to 'do nothing' apart from
    > datebook
    > in datebook, view details and set to desktop over writes handheld
    > sync
    > set everything back to normal
    > it then works fine and syncs normally as long as I don't try to make
    > it talk to the laptop which fails to work whatever method I try
    >
    > Oh - a new feature in datebook on the pc seems to be 'category' and
    > that appears to need to be set to all to make sync work although I
    > cant see why - it just worked one way but not the other.
    >
    > I will try to fix the sync to laptop (which is what I really want it
    > to do) but havnt given it that much thought. Please post if you come
    > up with any answers and I will do the same.
    >
    > There is a tab (on the pc application) under tools - options - tools
    > "check and repair" which might help you. It found and fixed some
    > errors for me but failed to sort the underlying problem.
    >
    > In message , angharad
    > writes
    >> I have a new Palm Centro and am trying to sync data from my old
    >> Tungsten. I installed the new Palm Desktop software as instructed
    >> and performed a sync. The data was moved from my desktop to my
    >> Centro, however now when I try and synchronize the synch manager
    >> hangs when it reaches my Datebook. If I deactivate the datebook from
    >> the synch list everything is sync'ed fine. I have tried everything I
    >> could find in Palm's knowledge base (change user name, removed and
    >> reinstalled the software, checked connections in sync manager...)
    >> but alas...no resolution. Any suggestions?

    > --
    > Richard C

    I have a Palm IIIc and I moved to a new apartment. Strangely enough the
    Palm sync also stopped working with my RS-232 serial to USB adapter to
    my laptop. Sometimes it would work partly and sometimes not at all. I
    discovered that removing the DC supply to the sync cradle would take
    care of the problem and it works every time. Must be a lot of
    interference on the power lines here. :-(

    --
    Bill

+ Reply to Thread