E2 Replacement - Palmtop

This is a discussion on E2 Replacement - Palmtop ; I've been using an E2 for the last couple of years. I'm getting fed up with having to reset the thing once or twice a day. I do use a 1GB SD card with it. Don't know whether that's part ...

  1. E2 Replacement

    I've been using an E2 for the last couple of years. I'm getting fed up
    with having to reset the thing once or twice a day. I do use a 1GB SD
    card with it. Don't know whether that's part of the problem or not.

    Anyway, I'm looking at replacing the E2. The only viable alternative
    seems to be the TX (I do run my business on the Palm). Would I regret
    this in the long run?

    Anything else I could get to replace the E2? It'll have to sync with
    Palm Desktop on my MacBook, which runs OS 10.4.11.

    All advice gratefully received.

    Dave

  2. Re: E2 Replacement

    Per David O Smith:

    >Anyway, I'm looking at replacing the E2. The only viable alternative
    >seems to be the TX (I do run my business on the Palm). Would I regret
    >this in the long run?

    I'm not Palm-Technical enough to offer a more reasoned opinion,
    but I despise my TX.

    Been through at least 4 Palm devices, starting with a Palm
    III-something-or-other, and ending (before the TX) with a Sony
    Clie.

    Prior devices made me a Palm chauvinist - thought Palm was the
    greatest thing ever.

    The TX has me waiting and watching for the opportunity to migrate
    away from Palm entirely. With Android on the horizon, I'm not
    ready to jump to Win Mobile yet, but the time's coming when I'll
    ditch Palm.

    My main gripe is the graffiti - just about unusable. I can't
    enter more than a word or two with having to re-stroke letters.

    TealScript has alleviated it a little, but not nearly enough.

    There's more, but the miserable graffiti is sufficient for me to
    advise against a TX.
    --
    PeteCresswell

  3. Re: E2 Replacement

    On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 21:21:12 +0100, David O Smith
    wrote:

    >I've been using an E2 for the last couple of years. I'm getting fed up
    >with having to reset the thing once or twice a day. I do use a 1GB SD
    >card with it. Don't know whether that's part of the problem or not.

    More likely it's a problem with one of the programs you are running on
    your E2. You might want to do a hard reset and reinstall each of your
    applications one by one before replacing it.

    >Anyway, I'm looking at replacing the E2. The only viable alternative
    >seems to be the TX (I do run my business on the Palm). Would I regret
    >this in the long run?
    >
    >Anything else I could get to replace the E2? It'll have to sync with
    >Palm Desktop on my MacBook, which runs OS 10.4.11.
    >
    >All advice gratefully received.

    I've been very satisfied with my Palm TX. I love the wifi and the
    bluetooth works perfectly with my phone (a Treo 680 but it connects
    with any GSM phone) for on the Internet access.
    --
    Cause, really, nothing says "I'm a counter culture
    rebel, fighting the establishment" like an Aibo on

    Roberto Castillo
    robertocastillo@ameritech.net
    http://zombie-gulch.myminicity.com/

  4. Re: E2 Replacement

    "Zombie Elvis" wrote in message
    newsh1rv39cia8n5pinespusap397v1u94fmk@4ax.com...
    > On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 21:21:12 +0100, David O Smith
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I've been using an E2 for the last couple of years. I'm getting fed up
    >>with having to reset the thing once or twice a day. I do use a 1GB SD
    >>card with it. Don't know whether that's part of the problem or not.

    > More likely it's a problem with one of the programs you are running on
    > your E2. You might want to do a hard reset and reinstall each of your
    > applications one by one before replacing it.
    >>
    >>Anyway, I'm looking at replacing the E2. The only viable alternative
    >>seems to be the TX (I do run my business on the Palm). Would I regret
    >>this in the long run?
    >>
    >>Anything else I could get to replace the E2? It'll have to sync with
    >>Palm Desktop on my MacBook, which runs OS 10.4.11.
    >>
    >>All advice gratefully received.
    >>

    > I've been very satisfied with my Palm TX. I love the wifi and the
    > bluetooth works perfectly with my phone (a Treo 680 but it connects
    > with any GSM phone) for on the Internet access.
    > --
    > Cause, really, nothing says "I'm a counter culture
    > rebel, fighting the establishment" like an Aibo on
    > a skateboard.
    > - Seen on Slashdot
    >
    > Roberto Castillo
    > robertocastillo@ameritech.net
    > http://zombie-gulch.myminicity.com/

    I agree that it's likely a software issue and if he installs the same software on a
    TX it will behave the same way. Most likely the problem is with some application that
    runs in the background.

    Also I posit that those PDAs with a dedicated graffiti area such as the TE2 have
    better graffiti recognition than those with virtual areas such as the TX.

    Adam

  5. Re: E2 Replacement

    On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 23:44:17 -0700, "Adam Helberg"
    wrote:

    >I agree that it's likely a software issue and if he installs the same software on a
    >TX it will behave the same way. Most likely the problem is with some application that
    >runs in the background.
    >
    >Also I posit that those PDAs with a dedicated graffiti area such as the TE2 have
    >better graffiti recognition than those with virtual areas such as the TX.

    Maybe. But my TX has better graffiti recognition than my older
    Tungsten E. Of course this could be because the TE has suffered a lot
    more wear and tear to its graffiti area.
    --
    Cause, really, nothing says "I'm a counter culture
    rebel, fighting the establishment" like an Aibo on
    a skateboard.
    - Seen on Slashdot

    Roberto Castillo
    robertocastillo@ameritech.net
    http://zombie-gulch.myminicity.com/

  6. Re: E2 Replacement

    > On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 23:44:17 -0700, "Adam Helberg"
    > wrote:
    >

    >>I agree that it's likely a software issue and if he installs the same software on a
    >>TX it will behave the same way. Most likely the problem is with some application
    >>that
    >>runs in the background.
    >>
    >>Also I posit that those PDAs with a dedicated graffiti area such as the TE2 have
    >>better graffiti recognition than those with virtual areas such as the TX.

    > Maybe. But my TX has better graffiti recognition than my older
    > Tungsten E. Of course this could be because the TE has suffered a lot
    > more wear and tear to its graffiti area.

    I could be wrong. I base my theory on my experience with older Palms such as the
    Visor Platinum, which has excellent graffiti and several Garmin iQue 3600 (with
    virtual graffiti area) whose recognition is noticeably worse, and other people who
    report problems with TX graffiti.

    I also read that some have replaced their TX digitizer with glass unit and have
    improved graffiti as a result.

    Adam

  7. Re: E2 Replacement

    David
    Your palm is probably fine, you have a software problem. You need to spring
    clean the palm by taking everything off and re-installing it. It sounds
    daunting but is an evenings work and well worthwhile.
    I find the easiest way to do it is to install a backup program to the SD
    card (I use Cardbackup but there are others), make a backup onto the SD
    card, make a copy of your PC palm file and put it elsewhere on the PC (for
    safety), hard reset your palm, . You then gradually reintroduce programs by
    copying them from the SD card to the palm. I find that you need to put a few
    programs on the palm, then make a backup onto the SD card with a unique
    name. If you make a mistake, you can reinstall the previous backup. When you
    have got the palm how you want it, you sync with your PC using the default
    'handheld overwrites desktop'.
    Mick
    "David O Smith" wrote in message
    > I've been using an E2 for the last couple of years. I'm getting fed up
    > with having to reset the thing once or twice a day. I do use a 1GB SD
    > card with it. Don't know whether that's part of the problem or not.
    >
    > Anyway, I'm looking at replacing the E2. The only viable alternative
    > seems to be the TX (I do run my business on the Palm). Would I regret
    > this in the long run?
    >
    > Anything else I could get to replace the E2? It'll have to sync with
    > Palm Desktop on my MacBook, which runs OS 10.4.11.
    >
    > All advice gratefully received.
    >
    > Dave

  8. Re: E2 Replacement

    "Mick" wrote in message
    > David
    > Your palm is probably fine, you have a software problem. You need to spring clean
    > the palm by taking everything off and re-installing it. It sounds daunting but is
    > an evenings work and well worthwhile.
    > I find the easiest way to do it is to install a backup program to the SD card (I
    > use Cardbackup but there are others), make a backup onto the SD card, make a copy
    > of your PC palm file and put it elsewhere on the PC (for safety), hard reset your
    > palm, . You then gradually reintroduce programs by copying them from the SD card to
    > the palm. I find that you need to put a few programs on the palm, then make a
    > backup onto the SD card with a unique name. If you make a mistake, you can
    > reinstall the previous backup. When you have got the palm how you want it, you sync
    > with your PC using the default 'handheld overwrites desktop'.
    > Mick

    Most likely the problem is some software that does background functions such as
    FindHack, ClipPro, etc. This makes a smaller subset of suspect programs. So another
    way is to uninstall one of these at a time to find the offender..

    Adam

+ Reply to Thread