Palm Alarm Manager replacement that doesn't suck? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Palm Alarm Manager replacement that doesn't suck? - Palmtop ; Anyone know of a replacement for the default Alarm Manager that doesn't suck and is compatible with an M515 on Desktop 4.1.0? Mainly, this is what I am looking for: 1) Doesn't plaster random alarms all over in separate windows. ...

  1. Palm Alarm Manager replacement that doesn't suck?

    Anyone know of a replacement for the default Alarm Manager that
    doesn't suck and is compatible with an M515 on Desktop 4.1.0? Mainly,
    this is what I am looking for:

    1) Doesn't plaster random alarms all over in separate windows. Be
    much nicer if it keeps them as a consolidated list into one easy to manage
    window.

    2) Keeps state across logins/reboots (the Palm supplied manager
    simply "loses" any active alarm as soon as you close it).

    3) Is smart enough to go back into the datebook and bring any
    un-acknowledged alarms to your attention so you don't miss something that
    disappeared due to problem #2 listed above, the loss of state.

    As an information manager I still find my Palm pretty useful but it
    always amazed me how badly they f*cked up the handling of alarms and lack
    of timezone information on events in the older desktop/PalmOS.

  2. Re: Palm Alarm Manager replacement that doesn't suck?

    In news:fs70th$vk5$1@news.xmission.com,
    B. Wright typed on Mon, 24 Mar 2008 01:42:09 +0000 (UTC):
    > Anyone know of a replacement for the default Alarm Manager that
    > doesn't suck and is compatible with an M515 on Desktop 4.1.0? Mainly,
    > this is what I am looking for:
    >
    > 1) Doesn't plaster random alarms all over in separate windows. Be
    > much nicer if it keeps them as a consolidated list into one easy to
    > manage window.
    >
    > 2) Keeps state across logins/reboots (the Palm supplied manager
    > simply "loses" any active alarm as soon as you close it).
    >
    > 3) Is smart enough to go back into the datebook and bring any
    > un-acknowledged alarms to your attention so you don't miss something
    > that disappeared due to problem #2 listed above, the loss of state.
    >
    > As an information manager I still find my Palm pretty useful but it
    > always amazed me how badly they f*cked up the handling of alarms and
    > lack of timezone information on events in the older desktop/PalmOS.

    Oh I am using the Palm Desktop v4.1 too with my Palm IIIc which I have
    been using for about 7 years. I think the Alarm Manager is just great! I
    think it will also sync with Outlook (part of MS Office). I have it, but
    I don't sync with it. But the alarm function is supposed to sync too.
    And there are lots of utilities that will sync with Outlook. So there
    must be a lot of software you can use the alarm function with the Palm.

    --
    Bill

  3. Re: Palm Alarm Manager replacement that doesn't suck?

    In alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot BillW50 wrote:
    > In news:fs70th$vk5$1@news.xmission.com,
    > B. Wright typed on Mon, 24 Mar 2008 01:42:09 +0000 (UTC):
    > > Anyone know of a replacement for the default Alarm Manager that
    > > doesn't suck and is compatible with an M515 on Desktop 4.1.0? Mainly,
    > > this is what I am looking for:
    > >

    > Oh I am using the Palm Desktop v4.1 too with my Palm IIIc which I have
    > been using for about 7 years. I think the Alarm Manager is just great! I
    > think it will also sync with Outlook (part of MS Office). I have it, but
    > I don't sync with it. But the alarm function is supposed to sync too.
    > And there are lots of utilities that will sync with Outlook. So there
    > must be a lot of software you can use the alarm function with the Palm.

    I don't/won't use that piece of garbage called Outlook. Syncing
    up to yet another contact/calendar program is not my idea of a solution.
    What I am looking for is something that simply replaces the default
    alarm manager but with more intelligence. This would be something that
    read the native .pdf files directly, not something that requires jumping
    through hoops to sync up and running an entirely separate calendar app.

  4. Re: Palm Alarm Manager replacement that doesn't suck?

    In news:fsf01e$l88$1@news.xmission.com,
    B. Wright typed on Thu, 27 Mar 2008 02:16:14 +0000 (UTC):
    > In alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot BillW50 wrote:
    >> In news:fs70th$vk5$1@news.xmission.com,
    >> B. Wright typed on Mon, 24 Mar 2008 01:42:09 +0000 (UTC):
    >>> Anyone know of a replacement for the default Alarm Manager that
    >>> doesn't suck and is compatible with an M515 on Desktop 4.1.0?
    >>> Mainly, this is what I am looking for:

    >> Oh I am using the Palm Desktop v4.1 too with my Palm IIIc which I
    >> have been using for about 7 years. I think the Alarm Manager is just
    >> great! I think it will also sync with Outlook (part of MS Office). I
    >> have it, but I don't sync with it. But the alarm function is
    >> supposed to sync too. And there are lots of utilities that will sync
    >> with Outlook. So there must be a lot of software you can use the
    >> alarm function with the Palm.

    > I don't/won't use that piece of garbage called Outlook. Syncing
    > up to yet another contact/calendar program is not my idea of a
    > solution. What I am looking for is something that simply replaces the
    > default alarm manager but with more intelligence. This would be
    > something that read the native .pdf files directly, not something
    > that requires jumping through hoops to sync up and running an
    > entirely separate calendar app.

    If you refuse to use the good stuff, I don't think anybody can help you
    then. Being stubborn does have its drawbacks. LOL

    --
    Bill

  5. Re: Palm Alarm Manager replacement that doesn't suck?

    In alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot BillW50 wrote:
    > In news:fsf01e$l88$1@news.xmission.com,
    > B. Wright typed on Thu, 27 Mar 2008 02:16:14 +0000 (UTC):
    > > In alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot BillW50 wrote:
    > >> In news:fs70th$vk5$1@news.xmission.com,
    > >> supposed to sync too. And there are lots of utilities that will sync
    > >> with Outlook. So there must be a lot of software you can use the
    > >> alarm function with the Palm.

    > > I don't/won't use that piece of garbage called Outlook. Syncing
    > > up to yet another contact/calendar program is not my idea of a
    > > solution. What I am looking for is something that simply replaces the

    > If you refuse to use the good stuff, I don't think anybody can help you
    > then. Being stubborn does have its drawbacks. LOL

    Good? I think you will find quite a few that agree with me
    on the fact that OutHouse is anything but "good". That's setting aside
    the fact that it's ridiculous to run an entire redundant suite just to get
    the functionality of a decent alarm application.

  6. Re: Palm Alarm Manager replacement that doesn't suck?

    In news:fsfiim$3h1$1@news.xmission.com,
    B. Wright typed on Thu, 27 Mar 2008 07:32:38 +0000 (UTC):
    > In alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot BillW50 wrote:
    >> In news:fsf01e$l88$1@news.xmission.com,
    >> B. Wright typed on Thu, 27 Mar 2008 02:16:14 +0000 (UTC):
    >>>
    >>> I don't/won't use that piece of garbage called Outlook. Syncing
    >>> up to yet another contact/calendar program is not my idea of a
    >>> solution. What I am looking for is something that simply replaces
    >>> the

    >> If you refuse to use the good stuff, I don't think anybody can help
    >> you then. Being stubborn does have its drawbacks. LOL

    > Good? I think you will find quite a few that agree with me
    > on the fact that OutHouse is anything but "good". That's setting
    > aside the fact that it's ridiculous to run an entire redundant suite
    > just to get the functionality of a decent alarm application.

    Maybe this will help, I dunno.

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...Alarm+software

    --
    Bill