TX digitizer failed again @^#$%$# Options? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on TX digitizer failed again @^#$%$# Options? - Palmtop ; If any product needed an extended warranty, it's this one. Started losing calibration at the bottom of the screen. Normal calibrator no help, since it only calibrates the upper half.. Then got worse, where taps at the very bottom edge ...

  1. TX digitizer failed again @^#$%$# Options?

    If any product needed an extended warranty, it's this one.

    Started losing calibration at the bottom of the screen. Normal
    calibrator no help, since it only calibrates the upper half..

    Then got worse, where taps at the very bottom edge would select items
    along the top.

    Now, with full-screen writing accidentally turned on, if I draw a
    horizontal line, I get a jagged line, some distance from the stylus --
    Useless.

    1. Is there a non-palm alternative with same-size screen that's ore
    reliable? (I suspect not, since all the screens probably coe fro the
    same suppliers, but at least others may not blame the issue on
    software like Palm does

    2. Do the replacement digitizers always work? (Reluctant to take a
    chance at $100.

    After this failure, I charged up my spare TX and noticed that the
    digitizer is off along the bottom too, Then I re-synced it, (No
    changes in app load for at least 6 months), and it died after the
    second reset. (Hard, soft reset no help)

    I've been a palm used since the original Pilot, and it's the software
    library that's kept me here, but a failure every year or so is is
    getting hard to bear.
    --
    Email reply: please remove one letter from each side of "@"
    Spammers are Scammers. Exterminate them.

  2. Re: TX digitizer failed again @^#$%$# Options?

    Doug Warner wrote:
    > If any product needed an extended warranty, it's this one.
    >
    > Started losing calibration at the bottom of the screen. Normal
    > calibrator no help, since it only calibrates the upper half..
    >
    > Then got worse, where taps at the very bottom edge would select items
    > along the top.
    >
    > Now, with full-screen writing accidentally turned on, if I draw a
    > horizontal line, I get a jagged line, some distance from the stylus --
    > Useless.
    >
    > 1. Is there a non-palm alternative with same-size screen that's ore
    > reliable? (I suspect not, since all the screens probably coe fro the
    > same suppliers, but at least others may not blame the issue on
    > software like Palm does
    >
    > 2. Do the replacement digitizers always work? (Reluctant to take a
    > chance at $100.

    I had my T|X replaced once under warranty for digitizer problems like
    you describe. Not long after receiving the replacement T|X, it started
    acting like the first defective unit.

    I bought a new glass digitizer from pdaparts.com (AKA gethightech.com)
    for $60 which has worked flawlessly. Unfortunately they are currently
    sold out, but they have a waiting list:

    http://www.gethightech.com/Merchant2...egory_Code=DIG

    Replacement was straightforward, take it very slowly and methodically
    and you'll be fine. There's a video on youtube that shows how to open
    the T|X. IIRC, you need a Torx T-5 bit to open the case. Cleanliness
    is essential, you do not want to trap dust or lint between the screen
    and the digitizer.

  3. Re: TX digitizer failed again @^#$%$# Options?

    On 2008-03-20, Doug Warner wrote:
    > If any product needed an extended warranty, it's this one.
    >
    > Started losing calibration at the bottom of the screen. Normal
    > calibrator no help, since it only calibrates the upper half..
    >
    > Then got worse, where taps at the very bottom edge would select items
    > along the top.
    >
    > Now, with full-screen writing accidentally turned on, if I draw a
    > horizontal line, I get a jagged line, some distance from the stylus --
    > Useless.
    >
    > 1. Is there a non-palm alternative with same-size screen that's ore
    > reliable? (I suspect not, since all the screens probably coe fro the
    > same suppliers, but at least others may not blame the issue on
    > software like Palm does
    >
    > 2. Do the replacement digitizers always work? (Reluctant to take a
    > chance at $100.
    >
    > After this failure, I charged up my spare TX and noticed that the
    > digitizer is off along the bottom too, Then I re-synced it, (No
    > changes in app load for at least 6 months), and it died after the
    > second reset. (Hard, soft reset no help)
    >
    > I've been a palm used since the original Pilot, and it's the software
    > library that's kept me here, but a failure every year or so is is
    > getting hard to bear.
    > --
    > Email reply: please remove one letter from each side of "@"
    > Spammers are Scammers. Exterminate them.

    I bought PowerDiGi for my TX and it extended the life of a very faulty screen.
    It's not perfect but it's usable.

    There's a replacement glass screen out there but last I looked it was
    out of stock.

    --
    -Toby

  4. Re: TX digitizer failed again @^#$%$# Options?

    Toby Newman , who said:

    >On 2008-03-20, Doug Warner wrote:

    >> 1. Is there a non-palm alternative with same-size screen that's ore
    >> reliable?

    >I bought PowerDiGi for my TX and it extended the life of a very faulty screen.
    >It's not perfect but it's usable.

    Second. In fact, I will say that Power DiGi *was* perfect except for two
    problems:
    * Registration is tied to a specific device. Although the developer was nice
    enough to send me a new registration when I had my TX warranty-replaced, I
    don't know how many times he would have done it.
    * The physical flaws of the screen itself (specifically a couple of dead
    zones) cannot be overcome by PowerDigi, just the bad tracking.

    --hymie! http://lactose.homelinux.net/~hymie hymie@lactose.homelinux.net
    ------------------------ Without caffeine for 510 days ------------------------

  5. Re: TX digitizer failed again @^#$%$# Options?

    On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 08:52:03, Mark Olson wrote:

    > I bought a new glass digitizer from pdaparts.com (AKA gethightech.com)
    > for $60 which has worked flawlessly. Unfortunately they are currently
    > sold out, but they have a waiting list:

    > http://www.gethightech.com/Merchant2...egory_Code=DIG

    > Replacement was straightforward, take it very slowly and methodically
    > and you'll be fine. There's a video on youtube that shows how to open
    > the T|X. IIRC, you need a Torx T-5 bit to open the case. Cleanliness
    > is essential, you do not want to trap dust or lint between the screen
    > and the digitizer.

    BTW, I got an email telling me that they're back in stock now.

    -alan

    --
    Alan Hoyle - alanh@unc.edu - http://www.alanhoyle.com/

  6. Re: TX digitizer failed again @^#$%$# Options?

    On 2008-04-22, Alan Hoyle wrote:
    > On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 08:52:03, Mark Olson wrote:
    >
    >> I bought a new glass digitizer from pdaparts.com (AKA gethightech.com)
    >> for $60 which has worked flawlessly. Unfortunately they are currently
    >> sold out, but they have a waiting list:

    >> http://www.gethightech.com/Merchant2...egory_Code=DIG

    >> Replacement was straightforward, take it very slowly and methodically
    >> and you'll be fine. There's a video on youtube that shows how to open
    >> the T|X. IIRC, you need a Torx T-5 bit to open the case. Cleanliness
    >> is essential, you do not want to trap dust or lint between the screen
    >> and the digitizer.

    > BTW, I got an email telling me that they're back in stock now.

    Thanks. I've just ordered one.
    My TX screen is quite flakey now so I am using the soft QWERT keyboard
    instead of the graffiti.
    My 5-way navigator button doesn't press UP any more and my speaker has
    gone intermittent so it will be good th get the thing opened up for
    a thorough service!

    --
    -Toby

  7. Re: TX digitizer failed again @^#$%$# Options?

    On 2008-04-23 08:00:01 -0500, Toby Newman said:

    > On 2008-04-22, Alan Hoyle wrote:
    >> On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 08:52:03, Mark Olson wrote:
    >>
    >>> I bought a new glass digitizer from pdaparts.com (AKA gethightech.com)
    >>> for $60 which has worked flawlessly. Unfortunately they are currently
    >>> sold out, but they have a waiting list:

    >>> http://www.gethightech.com/Merchant2...egory_Code=DIG

    Replacement

    >>> was straightforward, take it very slowly and methodically
    >>> and you'll be fine. There's a video on youtube that shows how to open
    >>> the T|X. IIRC, you need a Torx T-5 bit to open the case. Cleanliness
    >>> is essential, you do not want to trap dust or lint between the screen
    >>> and the digitizer.

    >> BTW, I got an email telling me that they're back in stock now.

    > Thanks. I've just ordered one.
    > My TX screen is quite flakey now so I am using the soft QWERT keyboard
    > instead of the graffiti.
    > My 5-way navigator button doesn't press UP any more and my speaker has
    > gone intermittent so it will be good th get the thing opened up for
    > a thorough service!

    hope it goes as well for you as it did for me - the replacement
    scrren/digitizer made my TX like new. While I had it open I dropped a
    tiny drop of wd40 into the power switch, which had stopped working, and
    it works like new now also.
    --
    -----------------------------
    I only talk like that in the movies

  8. Re: TX digitizer failed again @^#$%$# Options?

    PdaParts have now got stock of glass digitisers for the TX at
    http://www.pdaparts.com (Code: PA1693)

    "Doug Warner" wrote in message
    > If any product needed an extended warranty, it's this one.
    >
    > Started losing calibration at the bottom of the screen. Normal
    > calibrator no help, since it only calibrates the upper half..
    >
    > Then got worse, where taps at the very bottom edge would select items
    > along the top.
    >
    > Now, with full-screen writing accidentally turned on, if I draw a
    > horizontal line, I get a jagged line, some distance from the stylus --
    > Useless.
    >
    > 1. Is there a non-palm alternative with same-size screen that's ore
    > reliable? (I suspect not, since all the screens probably coe fro the
    > same suppliers, but at least others may not blame the issue on
    > software like Palm does
    >
    > 2. Do the replacement digitizers always work? (Reluctant to take a
    > chance at $100.
    >
    > After this failure, I charged up my spare TX and noticed that the
    > digitizer is off along the bottom too, Then I re-synced it, (No
    > changes in app load for at least 6 months), and it died after the
    > second reset. (Hard, soft reset no help)
    >
    > I've been a palm used since the original Pilot, and it's the software
    > library that's kept me here, but a failure every year or so is is
    > getting hard to bear.
    > --
    > Email reply: please remove one letter from each side of "@"
    > Spammers are Scammers. Exterminate them.

+ Reply to Thread