Cassiopeia E-100/105/etc serial communication? (WinCE, eMbeddedVB/C++, Pinouts) - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Cassiopeia E-100/105/etc serial communication? (WinCE, eMbeddedVB/C++, Pinouts) - Palmtop ; I am looking for any info on how to program (& wire) the Cassiopeia E-100/105 (and probably 115/125) WinCE 2.11 PDA, to communicate (I mainly need to send data) with a microcontroller (ie BASIC STAMP, PICAXE) using its serial port. ...

  1. Cassiopeia E-100/105/etc serial communication? (WinCE, eMbeddedVB/C++, Pinouts)

    I am looking for any info on how to program (& wire) the
    Cassiopeia E-100/105 (and probably 115/125) WinCE 2.11 PDA,
    to communicate (I mainly need to send data) with a microcontroller
    (ie BASIC STAMP, PICAXE) using its serial port.

    For software I am programming in eMbedded VB 3
    (I also have C++ installed on my system though I am less familiar with
    it).

    I have not found any info on pinouts for the e-100's serial port
    but a couple of posts online said to connect the PDA's serial DB9
    cable
    (I assume they mean the one with the cradle) with a null modem
    adapter.

    Does anyone have any related info/links/etc?

  2. Re: Cassiopeia E-100/105/etc serial communication? (WinCE, eMbedded VB/C++, Pinouts)

    On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 13:50:25 -0700 (PDT), mad.scientist.jr@gmail.com
    wrote:

    >I am looking for any info on how to program (& wire) the
    >Cassiopeia E-100/105 (and probably 115/125) WinCE 2.11 PDA,
    >to communicate (I mainly need to send data) with a microcontroller
    >(ie BASIC STAMP, PICAXE) using its serial port.
    >
    >For software I am programming in eMbedded VB 3
    >(I also have C++ installed on my system though I am less familiar with
    >it).

    In C/C++, you use the standard file handling functions (CreateFile,
    etc.). I assume VB is similar. The ports are called COM1:, COM2:, etc.
    (note the trailing semicolons for CE, unlike "big" Windows). For more
    info, look for a tty sample in the SDK files.

    >I have not found any info on pinouts for the e-100's serial port
    >but a couple of posts online said to connect the PDA's serial DB9
    >cable
    >(I assume they mean the one with the cradle) with a null modem
    >adapter.

    I _think_ the e-100 has a CF Slot. And I'm pretty sure Socket
    (www.socketcom.com) used to make a CF -> serial adapter. May be worth
    checking.

    >Does anyone have any related info/links/etc?

    Almost all Windows CE devices with serial ports are set up as
    non-computer (because the primary reason for the port is to connect to
    a computer). So when you want to connect to another non-computer you
    need to use a NULL modem.

    I used serial to connect some other Windows CE devices (HPCs and HPC
    Pros) to instruments. Standard serial cables plus a NULL modem worked
    well.

    Socket (

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    PenFact, Inc.
    20 Park Plaza, Suite 400
    Boston, MA 02116
    www.penfact.com
    Useful reading (be sure to read its disclaimer first):