Need to recover contact information from Palm data files - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Need to recover contact information from Palm data files - Palmtop ; Hello all, I need to know if anyone can recommend a software and/or method to recover contact information from Palm Desktop data files. I had an old computer that had Palm Desktop installed, and the OS crashed and would no ...

  1. Need to recover contact information from Palm data files

    Hello all,

    I need to know if anyone can recommend a software and/or method to
    recover contact information from Palm Desktop data files. I had an old
    computer that had Palm Desktop installed, and the OS crashed and would
    no longer boot. It was being synced to a Treo 600 or 650, but the
    phone is gone now. I was able to save the data files by connecting the
    drive to another computer, but I do not have the Palm installation CDs
    anymore. So I'm wondering if there is a way to recover the data from
    these files without having Palm Desktop installed.

    Any type of recovered data format is fine, whether it be a flat text
    file, CSV, etc, just as long as the data is readable.

    Thanks much in advance!!!

  2. Re: Need to recover contact information from Palm data files

    On 2008-03-05, thelotus99@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I need to know if anyone can recommend a software and/or method to
    > recover contact information from Palm Desktop data files. I had an old
    > computer that had Palm Desktop installed, and the OS crashed and would
    > no longer boot. It was being synced to a Treo 600 or 650, but the
    > phone is gone now. I was able to save the data files by connecting the
    > drive to another computer, but I do not have the Palm installation CDs
    > anymore. So I'm wondering if there is a way to recover the data from
    > these files without having Palm Desktop installed.
    >
    > Any type of recovered data format is fine, whether it be a flat text
    > file, CSV, etc, just as long as the data is readable.

    Have you access to a Linux machine? The "strings" program may be of help, if all
    else fails.

    From the "man" page;

    DESCRIPTION
    The strings utility looks for ASCII strings in a binary
    file. A string is any sequence of 4 or more printing charac-
    ters ending with a newline or a null character.

    [email me at huge {at} huge (dot) org uk]

  3. Re: Need to recover contact information from Palm data files

    Huge wrote:
    > On 2008-03-05, thelotus99@gmail.com wrote:
    >> Hello all,
    >>
    >> I need to know if anyone can recommend a software and/or method to
    >> recover contact information from Palm Desktop data files. I had an old
    >> computer that had Palm Desktop installed, and the OS crashed and would
    >> no longer boot. It was being synced to a Treo 600 or 650, but the
    >> phone is gone now. I was able to save the data files by connecting the
    >> drive to another computer, but I do not have the Palm installation CDs
    >> anymore. So I'm wondering if there is a way to recover the data from
    >> these files without having Palm Desktop installed.
    >>
    >> Any type of recovered data format is fine, whether it be a flat text
    >> file, CSV, etc, just as long as the data is readable.

    > Have you access to a Linux machine? The "strings" program may be of help, if all
    > else fails.
    >
    > From the "man" page;
    >
    > DESCRIPTION
    > The strings utility looks for ASCII strings in a binary
    > file. A string is any sequence of 4 or more printing charac-
    > ters ending with a newline or a null character.

    The palm desk to is a free download and the newer versions are
    compatible with the older files. You can go to
    http://www.palm.com/us/software/desktop/ and download the desktop.

    A second solutions would be to load the contact file into a word
    processor, and cut and past the relevant information to a spreadsheet or
    database. The file structure is quite simple and straight forward.

  4. Re: Need to recover contact information from Palm data files

    On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 05:59:51 -0800 (PST), "thelotus99@gmail.com"
    wrote:

    >Hello all,
    >
    >I need to know if anyone can recommend a software and/or method to
    >recover contact information from Palm Desktop data files. I had an old
    >computer that had Palm Desktop installed, and the OS crashed and would
    >no longer boot. It was being synced to a Treo 600 or 650, but the
    >phone is gone now. I was able to save the data files by connecting the
    >drive to another computer, but I do not have the Palm installation CDs
    >anymore. So I'm wondering if there is a way to recover the data from
    >these files without having Palm Desktop installed.
    >
    >Any type of recovered data format is fine, whether it be a flat text
    >file, CSV, etc, just as long as the data is readable.
    >
    >Thanks much in advance!!!

    1. Download & install the Palm Desktop as previously mentioned.

    2. Email me all the files in the Palm backup and I'll send you a
    PayPal link for payment after I recover them ;-)

    John

  5. Re: Need to recover contact information from Palm data files

    >I need to know if anyone can recommend a software and/or method to
    >recover contact information from Palm Desktop data files. I had an old
    >computer that had Palm Desktop installed, and the OS crashed and would
    >no longer boot. It was being synced to a Treo 600 or 650, but the
    >phone is gone now. I was able to save the data files by connecting the
    >drive to another computer, but I do not have the Palm installation CDs
    >anymore. So I'm wondering if there is a way to recover the data from
    >these files without having Palm Desktop installed.
    >
    >Any type of recovered data format is fine, whether it be a flat text
    >file, CSV, etc, just as long as the data is readable.

    There's a package called pilot-link, which runs on Linux and FreeBSD,
    (not sure whether it also runs on Windows or not) which does transfers
    to and from a Palm, and has some tools to dump *.pdb files (after
    you grab them off the Palm) for various applications in various
    formats.

+ Reply to Thread