Treo 755p - any gotchas - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Treo 755p - any gotchas - Palmtop ; My wife has a VZW account, and an aging RAZR V3c that she'd like to upgrade. She also has an ancient Palm which has survived 2 generic Chinese battery replacements and again has no battery life. She has a bunch ...

  1. Treo 755p - any gotchas

    My wife has a VZW account, and an aging RAZR V3c that she'd like to
    upgrade. She also has an ancient Palm which has survived 2 generic Chinese
    battery replacements and again has no battery life. She has a bunch of
    medical software on her Palm that she'd like to continue using without the
    hassle of changing platforms. (Yes, I understand that Palm OS is in its
    death throes). Still, it occurred to me that she could kill two birds
    with one stone by getting the Treo 755p.

    Her current plan suits her minimal cellular needs - voice and text
    messaging only. Even if she were to upgrade to a smartphone, she has no
    need for web browsing, video, Get It Now, etc ... all she would be
    doing would be combining her Palm PDA with her cellphone in one box.

    Is this doable? Would Verizon activate a Treo without a data plan?
    I am aware that many Verizon handsets have various things disabled in
    order to force you to pay to use Verizon's services to accomplish them.
    Are any of the Palm features crippled - i.e. any gotchas that would prevent
    her from loading her Palm software using her laptop and a data cable by
    simply hotsyncing alone, just as she does now?

  2. Re: Treo 755p - any gotchas

    On Feb 27, 7:52 pm, retsu...@xinap.moc (Mike S.) wrote:
    > My wife has a VZW account, and an aging RAZR V3c that she'd like to
    > upgrade. She also has an ancient Palm which has survived 2 generic Chinese
    > battery replacements and again has no battery life. She has a bunch of
    > medical software on her Palm that she'd like to continue using without the
    > hassle of changing platforms. (Yes, I understand that Palm OS is in its
    > death throes). Still, it occurred to me that she could kill two birds
    > with one stone by getting the Treo 755p.
    >
    > Her current plan suits her minimal cellular needs - voice and text
    > messaging only. Even if she were to upgrade to a smartphone, she has no
    > need for web browsing, video, Get It Now, etc ... all she would be
    > doing would be combining her Palm PDA with her cellphone in one box.
    >
    > Is this doable? Would Verizon activate a Treo without a data plan?
    > I am aware that many Verizon handsets have various things disabled in
    > order to force you to pay to use Verizon's services to accomplish them.
    > Are any of the Palm features crippled - i.e. any gotchas that would prevent
    > her from loading her Palm software using her laptop and a data cable by
    > simply hotsyncing alone, just as she does now?

    This subject has been discussed on this form. Here's a link that
    should take you to one of the recent threads
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.c...82e08ac5ce26c7

    Here's a quote from one of the responders "I recently did this online
    after calling customer service.
    The process was I had to select the unlimited plan to order the PDA
    online.
    VZW told me I could change to a pay as you go soon as I activated the
    phone.
    Customer sevice also told me to ask for data blocking and to be sure
    to not
    turn on Active Sync before getting data block.
    (They warned me people have experienced large charges due to Active
    Sync
    turning on)
    I followed instruction and everything fell into place as advertised -
    No
    data in and No data out (but WiFi still works cost free). "

  3. Re: Treo 755p - any gotchas

    In article <4c2e576c-d986-4e09-8b92-b2d238844156@o77g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
    adkcamper wrote:
    >On Feb 27, 7:52 pm, retsu...@xinap.moc (Mike S.) wrote:
    >
    >This subject has been discussed on this form. Here's a link that
    >should take you to one of the recent threads
    >http://groups.google.com/group/alt.c...82e08ac5ce26c7

    Thanks for the link. This thread had since scrolled off my news server,
    but I got the Google archived version.

  4. Re: Treo 755p - any gotchas

    Ahh ... wifi on a Treo 755p? I don't think so ... unless I am totally
    confused!

    I have a Sprint Treo 755p and it runs all my palm apps, sync's via
    cable, etc. I do have a data plan and get great speed from Sprint.
    Google maps is great.

    Dan

    On Feb 28, 5:17 am, adkcamper wrote:

    > No
    > data in and No data out (but WiFi still works cost free). "

  5. Re: Treo 755p - any gotchas

    First thing first, a small introduction. I am a supervisor for VZW
    Customer service, and Second, I am not answering this in my
    "official capacity".

    Yes, you can get a treo without a data plan, however this is not
    recomended. rather, the pay as you go option is not recomended.

    Even an accidental access of the internet, or a automated software
    update (more common with the windows based treos) can result in higher
    than you would expect data charges. A penny and a half per KB does not
    seem like much, but trust me. It adds up quickly.

    If she does not want the unlimited data feature, she will need to call
    cust service and request a "national access block". She might want
    to call back the next day to make sure it was done correctly as some
    reps don't know how to apply that block since it is not used very
    often.

    This will block all data features of the phone except text messages.
    She will not be able to use picture or video messges either. (does
    the 755p have a camera? I can't remember..... )

    Also, as far as I know, she can still hotsync with a cable.

    On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 01:52:22 +0000 (UTC), retsuhcs@xinap.moc (Mike S.)
    wrote:

    >My wife has a VZW account, and an aging RAZR V3c that she'd like to
    >upgrade. She also has an ancient Palm which has survived 2 generic Chinese
    >battery replacements and again has no battery life. She has a bunch of
    >medical software on her Palm that she'd like to continue using without the
    >hassle of changing platforms. (Yes, I understand that Palm OS is in its
    >death throes). Still, it occurred to me that she could kill two birds
    >with one stone by getting the Treo 755p.
    >
    >Her current plan suits her minimal cellular needs - voice and text
    >messaging only. Even if she were to upgrade to a smartphone, she has no
    >need for web browsing, video, Get It Now, etc ... all she would be
    >doing would be combining her Palm PDA with her cellphone in one box.
    >
    >Is this doable? Would Verizon activate a Treo without a data plan?
    >I am aware that many Verizon handsets have various things disabled in
    >order to force you to pay to use Verizon's services to accomplish them.
    >Are any of the Palm features crippled - i.e. any gotchas that would prevent
    >her from loading her Palm software using her laptop and a data cable by
    >simply hotsyncing alone, just as she does now?

+ Reply to Thread