Palm TX won't connect wireless - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Palm TX won't connect wireless - Palmtop ; I keep trying to connect to wireless but it tries and comes up with message "connection failed" Am I missing something? It's ready to connect but doesn't. Lori...

  1. Palm TX won't connect wireless

    I keep trying to connect to wireless but it tries and comes up with
    message "connection failed"
    Am I missing something? It's ready to connect but doesn't.

    Lori

  2. Re: Palm TX won't connect wireless

    On 13 Feb 2008, kayla wrote:

    > I keep trying to connect to wireless but it tries and comes up with
    > message "connection failed"
    > Am I missing something? It's ready to connect but doesn't.

    Well, you haven't told us much, but I'd say off hand you probably
    *are* missing *something* since it doesn't work ;-) Some things to
    check:

    What make and model of access point are you trying to connect to?

    Does your wireless access point support 802.ll --> b <---? (The TX
    doesn't do 802.11a or 802.11g.) If so, is it actually configured to
    use 802.11b?

    Does your access point use WEP or WPA PSK? If so, did you input the
    key (correctly)?

    Is your access point configured to use a MAC address filtering? If
    so, did you put the TX's MAC address on the list?

    Dave

    --
    D.a.v.i.d T.i.k.t.i.n
    t.i.k.t.i.n [at] a.d.v.a.n.c.e.d.r.e.l.a.y [dot] c.o.m

  3. Re: Palm TX won't connect wireless

    Thanks for replying to me. I had to do some research on your
    questions - like access point. I have a TrendNet 802.11g Wireless
    Firewall Router. I use Windows.

    >Does your access point use WEP or WPA PSK?

    I saw that on the box under "security"

    I sure am missing something. ;-) The smarts to figure this out.
    Now that you have sort of made things clearer I think it will come
    together. Can 802.11g be changed since the TX doesn't do that?

    Lori

    On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 17:05:09 -0600, David Tiktin
    wrote:

    >On 13 Feb 2008, kayla wrote:
    >
    >> I keep trying to connect to wireless but it tries and comes up with
    >> message "connection failed"
    >> Am I missing something? It's ready to connect but doesn't.

    >Well, you haven't told us much, but I'd say off hand you probably
    >*are* missing *something* since it doesn't work ;-) Some things to
    >check:
    >
    >What make and model of access point are you trying to connect to?
    >
    >Does your wireless access point support 802.ll --> b <---? (The TX
    >doesn't do 802.11a or 802.11g.) If so, is it actually configured to
    >use 802.11b?
    >
    >Does your access point use WEP or WPA PSK? If so, did you input the
    >key (correctly)?
    >
    >Is your access point configured to use a MAC address filtering? If
    >so, did you put the TX's MAC address on the list?
    >
    >Dave

  4. Re: Palm TX won't connect wireless

    On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 21:40:22 -0500, kayla wrote:

    >Thanks for replying to me. I had to do some research on your
    >questions - like access point. I have a TrendNet 802.11g Wireless
    >Firewall Router. I use Windows.
    >
    >>Does your access point use WEP or WPA PSK?

    >I saw that on the box under "security"
    >
    >I sure am missing something. ;-) The smarts to figure this out.
    >Now that you have sort of made things clearer I think it will come
    >together. Can 802.11g be changed since the TX doesn't do that?

    The router should be able to switch between "g" and "b" wireless on
    the fly unless you or whomever set up the router disabled it. What you
    really have to know what sort of security your router uses and set
    your TX to use the same setup and password. You need to check your
    router's wireless security settings.

    Most routers allow you to do this in your web browser by typing the
    router's IP address in "location" box. For example, for a Linksys
    router, you would type "192.168.1.1" in your browser and you will be
    taken to the router's setup page. (I haven't used a Trendnet router in
    year's and don't remember its default IP address -- it should be
    similar but check your manual.) Check the security settings and make
    sure your TX's setting match.

    FWIW, I have a Palm TX myself and it works perfectly with my Linksys
    router and WPA TKIP security.
    --
    Cause, really, nothing says "I'm a counter culture
    rebel, fighting the establishment" like an Aibo on

    Roberto Castillo
    robertocastillo@ameritech.net
    http://zombie-gulch.myminicity.com/

  5. Re: Palm TX won't connect wireless

    On 15 Feb 2008, kayla wrote:

    > Thanks for replying to me. I had to do some research on your
    > questions - like access point. I have a TrendNet 802.11g Wireless
    > Firewall Router. I use Windows.
    >
    >>Does your access point use WEP or WPA PSK?

    > I saw that on the box under "security"
    >
    > I sure am missing something. ;-) The smarts to figure this out.
    > Now that you have sort of made things clearer I think it will come
    > together. Can 802.11g be changed since the TX doesn't do that?

    Sorry to drop out of the conversation, but I had the flu over the
    weekend ;-(

    I took a quick look at some of the TrendNet docs. I'm not sure which
    model you have exactly , but if it says 802.11g, it may still do
    802.11.b as Zombie Elvis said. For instance, this one does:

    http://www.provantage.com/trendnet-t...p~7TDWW028.htm

    (Look down in the table at Transmission Speed Details.) I have a
    Linksys that lets me turn off 802.11b if I want to (which with a TX I
    don't). But if that's not it, it's probably the security that's the
    problem (WEP or WPA). You need to talk to whoever configured your
    router to see what settings they installed.

    Dave

    --
    D.a.v.i.d T.i.k.t.i.n
    t.i.k.t.i.n [at] a.d.v.a.n.c.e.d.r.e.l.a.y [dot] c.o.m

  6. Re: Palm TX won't connect wireless

    >You need to talk to whoever configured your
    >router to see what settings they installed.

    I haven't been ignoring your advice. I'm waiting for my friend that
    installed my router to give me some info on it.

    Lori

    On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 18:14:23 -0600, David Tiktin
    wrote:

    >On 15 Feb 2008, kayla wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks for replying to me. I had to do some research on your
    >> questions - like access point. I have a TrendNet 802.11g Wireless
    >> Firewall Router. I use Windows.
    >>
    >>>Does your access point use WEP or WPA PSK?

    >> I saw that on the box under "security"
    >>
    >> I sure am missing something. ;-) The smarts to figure this out.
    >> Now that you have sort of made things clearer I think it will come
    >> together. Can 802.11g be changed since the TX doesn't do that?

    >Sorry to drop out of the conversation, but I had the flu over the
    >weekend ;-(
    >
    >I took a quick look at some of the TrendNet docs. I'm not sure which
    >model you have exactly , but if it says 802.11g, it may still do
    >802.11.b as Zombie Elvis said. For instance, this one does:
    >
    > http://www.provantage.com/trendnet-t...p~7TDWW028.htm
    >
    >(Look down in the table at Transmission Speed Details.) I have a
    >Linksys that lets me turn off 802.11b if I want to (which with a TX I
    >don't). But if that's not it, it's probably the security that's the
    >problem (WEP or WPA). You need to talk to whoever configured your
    >router to see what settings they installed.
    >
    >Dave

  7. Re: Palm TX won't connect wireless

    On 02 Mar 2008, kayla wrote:

    >>You need to talk to whoever configured your
    >>router to see what settings they installed.

    > I haven't been ignoring your advice. I'm waiting for my friend
    > that installed my router to give me some info on it.

    As Zombie Elvis suggested, you could also just try to log into it using
    your web browser. It very likely has an IP address of 192.168.0.1 or
    192.168.1.1. You can check by opening a "Command Prompt" window (in
    Start/Accessories) and typing the command:

    ipconfig /all

    The "Default Gateway" is your router. Just put the address after
    http:// in the address bar of the browser. If it asks for a user name
    and password, you could check http://www.routerpasswords.com to see if
    your router is listed. (The site is down right now.)

    Dave

    --
    D.a.v.i.d T.i.k.t.i.n
    t.i.k.t.i.n [at] a.d.v.a.n.c.e.d.r.e.l.a.y [dot] c.o.m

+ Reply to Thread