Options for Syncing on Mac OS X 10.5.2 - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Options for Syncing on Mac OS X 10.5.2 - Palmtop ; Does anyone know what my choices are for syncing a Palm Treo 700p (other than Missing Sync) with my three Macs, all of which are now running the latest Leopard OS? I am using the latest Missing Sync now, but ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

  1. Options for Syncing on Mac OS X 10.5.2

    Does anyone know what my choices are for syncing a Palm Treo 700p (other
    than Missing Sync) with my three Macs, all of which are now running the
    latest Leopard OS?

    I am using the latest Missing Sync now, but it is absolutely terrible. I
    keep getting conflict notices for events that have occurred years ago,
    and any event that I delete from the Treo or one of my iCal calendars
    never goes away. If I change an event in iCal or the Treo, the original
    event is retained and the changed one is created, which gets very
    confusing. In addition, at least half the time, when I sync via
    Bluetooth, I get a connection failed notice in the middle of the syncing
    process, which is very frustrating.

    Email to support@markspace.com has gone unanswered and I have tried
    numerous things to fix these issues. Now, I am thinking it is time to
    cut my losses and consider different options.

    What I need is syncing that works reliably between my iCal, Address
    Book, plus a memos option (preferably encrypted) and also the ability to
    support categories (which is why I switched to Missing Sync from iSync
    two years ago). It also needs to support Bluetooth.

  2. Re: Options for Syncing on Mac OS X 10.5.2

    In article ,
    Shawn Hirn wrote:

    > Does anyone know what my choices are for syncing a Palm Treo 700p (other
    > than Missing Sync) with my three Macs, all of which are now running the
    > latest Leopard OS?
    >
    > I am using the latest Missing Sync now, but it is absolutely terrible. I
    > keep getting conflict notices for events that have occurred years ago,
    > and any event that I delete from the Treo or one of my iCal calendars
    > never goes away. If I change an event in iCal or the Treo, the original
    > event is retained and the changed one is created, which gets very
    > confusing. In addition, at least half the time, when I sync via
    > Bluetooth, I get a connection failed notice in the middle of the syncing
    > process, which is very frustrating.
    >
    > Email to support@markspace.com has gone unanswered and I have tried
    > numerous things to fix these issues. Now, I am thinking it is time to
    > cut my losses and consider different options.
    >
    > What I need is syncing that works reliably between my iCal, Address
    > Book, plus a memos option (preferably encrypted) and also the ability to
    > support categories (which is why I switched to Missing Sync from iSync
    > two years ago). It also needs to support Bluetooth.

    The absolute best sync solution I've found is Microsoft Office 2004 (NOT
    2008*). It's is a pleasure to use with my Palm Treo 700p. With it,
    address book, calendar, tasks, and notes are all synchronized with the
    Entourage application included with Office 2004. You can assign
    categories to contacts, events, and so on, and then instruct the conduit
    to synchronized select items based on those categories. You can even set
    how it synchronizes custom fields.

    Synchronization over the Treo USB cable is relatively fast - it takes
    just a couple minutes to complete usually. And I have never had
    duplication or missing data problems with this method of
    synchronization. It's relatively flawless and trouble-free. In contrast,
    other "solutions" seem to have mixed or horrible reviews, and reports of
    nightmarish duplication problems and so on. I haven't ever ventured from
    Office 2004, because it simply works, and works very well. If I were you
    I would definitely consider giving it a try!

    Here's how you set it up:

    1. Install and configure Palm Desktop to synchronize with your Treo.
    2. Perform a HotSync with your Treo and Palm Desktop to (a) make sure
    your HotSync settings are correct, and (b) back up all the data in your
    Treo.
    3. Run the/Applications/Microsoft Office 2004/Additional Tools/Handheld
    Sync Installer installer. This installs the Handheld Sync Conduit, which
    replaces corresponding Palm Desktop conduits with one that synchronizes
    data with Entourage instead.
    4. Run the Mac OS X HotSync application (part of Palm Desktop).
    5. From the HotSync menu bar, select HotSync > Conduit Settings.
    6. View the Entourage Conduit settings.
    7. Set the Entourage identity (if needed), and configure the settings
    for contacts, events, notes, and tasks, including selecting categories
    that will or will not be synchronized to your Treo.
    8. Perform another HotSync. This time, your Treo will synchronize its
    data with the Entourage address book, calendar, notes, and tasks.

    From this point on, you can use Entourage to manage your events, address
    book, tasks, and notes. Life is beautiful! : )

    * A note about Microsoft Office 2008:

    Due to (I believe) a hurried software development schedule, Microsoft
    had to cut back on features to get Office 2008 out the door. As a
    result, they have not provided a Handheld Sync Conduit in Office 2008,
    and are instructing customers to instead make use of another feature
    called Sync Services that synchronizes Entourage data with Apple's
    Address Book and iCal applications.

    Microsoft suggests 2008 users use Apple's iSync to HotSync data between
    their handheld devices and their Macs, then use Sync Services to
    synchronize Entourage with the iSync applications Address Book and iCal.
    It's obvious that this adds much more complication to what was a simple
    task of synchronization with 2004. Notice that notes and tasks are left
    out of the equation, since Apple does not have a notes / tasks
    application that works with iSync.

    To make matters worse, iSync operation with Palm devices is extremely
    buggy and very limited. For instance, categories are not synchronized,
    nor are various fields of contact and event information. Many, many
    users are reporting thousands of duplicate events and contacts with each
    synchronization. So until Microsoft addresses this problem (assuming
    they ever do), Office 2004 is the best way to sync data between your
    Palm Treo and your Mac.

    --
    Note: Please send all responses to the relevant news group. If you
    must contact me through e-mail, let me know when you send email to

    JR

  3. Re: Options for Syncing on Mac OS X 10.5.2

    In article
    ,
    Jolly Roger wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Shawn Hirn wrote:
    >
    > > Does anyone know what my choices are for syncing a Palm Treo 700p (other
    > > than Missing Sync) with my three Macs, all of which are now running the
    > > latest Leopard OS?
    > >
    > > I am using the latest Missing Sync now, but it is absolutely terrible. I
    > > keep getting conflict notices for events that have occurred years ago,
    > > and any event that I delete from the Treo or one of my iCal calendars
    > > never goes away. If I change an event in iCal or the Treo, the original
    > > event is retained and the changed one is created, which gets very
    > > confusing. In addition, at least half the time, when I sync via
    > > Bluetooth, I get a connection failed notice in the middle of the syncing
    > > process, which is very frustrating.
    > >
    > > Email to support@markspace.com has gone unanswered and I have tried
    > > numerous things to fix these issues. Now, I am thinking it is time to
    > > cut my losses and consider different options.
    > >
    > > What I need is syncing that works reliably between my iCal, Address
    > > Book, plus a memos option (preferably encrypted) and also the ability to
    > > support categories (which is why I switched to Missing Sync from iSync
    > > two years ago). It also needs to support Bluetooth.

    > The absolute best sync solution I've found is Microsoft Office 2004 (NOT
    > 2008*). It's is a pleasure to use with my Palm Treo 700p.

    Thanks, but I will pass. I tried Entourage 2004 a few months ago and I
    hated it. For one thing, Entourage's GUI is hideous; its way too busy.
    What was a deal breaker for me with regard to syncing is that Entourage
    2004 supports only one snail mail address per address book entry. I have
    several entries where there's a work address and a home address, or
    multiple work addresses or multiple home addresses. For each record with
    multiple addresses, the first time Entourage synced, it asked me which
    address I wanted to keep, then it discarded the other addresses. That is
    totally unacceptable. Fortunately, I had a backup of the info, so I was
    able to get it back.

  4. Re: Options for Syncing on Mac OS X 10.5.2

    In article ,
    Shawn Hirn wrote:

    > In article
    > ,
    > Jolly Roger wrote:
    >
    > > In article ,
    > > Shawn Hirn wrote:
    > >
    > > > Does anyone know what my choices are for syncing a Palm Treo 700p (other
    > > > than Missing Sync) with my three Macs, all of which are now running the
    > > > latest Leopard OS?
    > > >
    > > > I am using the latest Missing Sync now, but it is absolutely terrible. I
    > > > keep getting conflict notices for events that have occurred years ago,
    > > > and any event that I delete from the Treo or one of my iCal calendars
    > > > never goes away. If I change an event in iCal or the Treo, the original
    > > > event is retained and the changed one is created, which gets very
    > > > confusing. In addition, at least half the time, when I sync via
    > > > Bluetooth, I get a connection failed notice in the middle of the syncing
    > > > process, which is very frustrating.
    > > >
    > > > Email to support@markspace.com has gone unanswered and I have tried
    > > > numerous things to fix these issues. Now, I am thinking it is time to
    > > > cut my losses and consider different options.
    > > >
    > > > What I need is syncing that works reliably between my iCal, Address
    > > > Book, plus a memos option (preferably encrypted) and also the ability to
    > > > support categories (which is why I switched to Missing Sync from iSync
    > > > two years ago). It also needs to support Bluetooth.

    > > The absolute best sync solution I've found is Microsoft Office 2004 (NOT
    > > 2008*). It's is a pleasure to use with my Palm Treo 700p.

    > Thanks, but I will pass. I tried Entourage 2004 a few months ago and I
    > hated it. For one thing, Entourage's GUI is hideous; its way too busy.
    > What was a deal breaker for me with regard to syncing is that Entourage
    > 2004 supports only one snail mail address per address book entry. I have
    > several entries where there's a work address and a home address, or
    > multiple work addresses or multiple home addresses. For each record with
    > multiple addresses, the first time Entourage synced, it asked me which
    > address I wanted to keep, then it discarded the other addresses. That is
    > totally unacceptable. Fortunately, I had a backup of the info, so I was
    > able to get it back.

    If you think thats bad, you're in for a major disappointment with
    Apple's iSync. Entourage 2004 synchronizes more data than most others
    with Palm devices.

    --
    Note: Please send all responses to the relevant news group. If you
    must contact me through e-mail, let me know when you send email to
    this address so that your email doesn't get eaten by my SPAM filter.

    JR

  5. Re: Options for Syncing on Mac OS X 10.5.2

    In article
    ,
    Jolly Roger wrote:

    > If you think thats bad, you're in for a major disappointment with
    > Apple's iSync. Entourage 2004 synchronizes more data than most others
    > with Palm devices.

    Actually, the reason I use Missing Sync now is due to the shortcomings
    in iSync. I did try iSynch when I first bought a PDA around five years
    ago. From what I have read, iSync has not improved since that time.

  6. Re: Options for Syncing on Mac OS X 10.5.2

    In article
    ,
    Jolly Roger wrote:

    > If you think thats bad, you're in for a major disappointment with
    > Apple's iSync.

    iSync doesn't throw away the data it doesn't sync.

    --
    Bart: This is the worst day of my life.
    Homer: This is the worst day of your life SO FAR.

  7. Re: Options for Syncing on Mac OS X 10.5.2

    In article ,
    Lewis wrote:

    > In article
    > ,
    > Jolly Roger wrote:
    >
    > > If you think thats bad, you're in for a major disappointment with
    > > Apple's iSync.

    > iSync doesn't throw away the data it doesn't sync.

    What do you mean by that? You should read some of the iSync horror
    stories being reported by Palm users. The amount of data loss for Palm
    users with iSync is far worse than Entourage 2004.

    --
    Note: Please send all responses to the relevant news group. If you
    must contact me through e-mail, let me know when you send email to
    this address so that your email doesn't get eaten by my SPAM filter.

    JR

  8. Re: Options for Syncing on Mac OS X 10.5.2

    In article ,
    Shawn Hirn wrote:

    > In article
    > ,
    > Jolly Roger wrote:
    >
    > > If you think thats bad, you're in for a major disappointment with
    > > Apple's iSync. Entourage 2004 synchronizes more data than most others
    > > with Palm devices.

    > Actually, the reason I use Missing Sync now is due to the shortcomings
    > in iSync. I did try iSynch when I first bought a PDA around five years
    > ago. From what I have read, iSync has not improved since that time.

    I'd love to see a comparison between Missing Sync and Entourage 2004's
    Handheld Sync Conduit.

    --
    Note: Please send all responses to the relevant news group. If you
    must contact me through e-mail, let me know when you send email to
    this address so that your email doesn't get eaten by my SPAM filter.

    JR

  9. Re: Options for Syncing on Mac OS X 10.5.2

    In article
    ,
    Jolly Roger wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Lewis wrote:
    >
    > > In article
    > > ,
    > > Jolly Roger wrote:
    > >
    > > > If you think thats bad, you're in for a major disappointment with
    > > > Apple's iSync.

    > > iSync doesn't throw away the data it doesn't sync.

    > What do you mean by that? You should read some of the iSync horror
    > stories being reported by Palm users. The amount of data loss for Palm
    > users with iSync is far worse than Entourage 2004.

    OK. I've synced my addressbook to my phone many times,. I've never
    lost any data doing it.

    Does everything get imported? no, the address info doesn't get put into
    the RAZR's addressbook, even though it can handle it. But data trashed?
    No.

    --
    Bart: This is the worst day of my life.
    Homer: This is the worst day of your life SO FAR.

  10. Re: Options for Syncing on Mac OS X 10.5.2

    In article ,
    Lewis wrote:

    > In article
    > ,
    > Jolly Roger wrote:
    >
    > > In article ,
    > > Lewis wrote:
    > >
    > > > In article
    > > > ,

    > > > iSync doesn't throw away the data it doesn't sync.

    > > What do you mean by that? You should read some of the iSync horror
    > > stories being reported by Palm users. The amount of data loss for Palm
    > > users with iSync is far worse than Entourage 2004.

    > OK. I've synced my addressbook to my phone many times,. I've never
    > lost any data doing it.
    >
    > Does everything get imported? no, the address info doesn't get put into
    > the RAZR's addressbook, even though it can handle it. But data trashed?
    > No.

    I think you misunderstood Shawn's post:

    In article ,
    Shawn Hirn wrote:

    > What was a deal breaker for me with regard to syncing is that Entourage
    > 2004 supports only one snail mail address per address book entry. I have
    > several entries where there's a work address and a home address, or
    > multiple work addresses or multiple home addresses. For each record with
    > multiple addresses, the first time Entourage synced, it asked me which
    > address I wanted to keep, then it discarded the other addresses. That is
    > totally unacceptable. Fortunately, I had a backup of the info, so I was
    > able to get it back.

    He wasn't saying that Entourage, in your words, "trashed data" in
    Entourage - only that the data wasn't synchronized to his handheld. My
    response to that was if he thought Entourage was bad about not
    synchronizing some data to handhelds, he'll be more disappointed with
    iSync, because iSync doesn't synchronize even more data than Entourage
    to Palm devices:

    In article
    ,

    --
    Note: Please send all responses to the relevant news group. If you
    must contact me through e-mail, let me know when you send email to
    this address so that your email doesn't get eaten by my SPAM filter.

    JR

  11. Re: Options for Syncing on Mac OS X 10.5.2

    In article
    ,
    Jolly Roger wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Shawn Hirn wrote:
    >
    > > In article
    > > ,
    > > Jolly Roger wrote:
    > >
    > > > If you think thats bad, you're in for a major disappointment with
    > > > Apple's iSync. Entourage 2004 synchronizes more data than most others
    > > > with Palm devices.

    > > Actually, the reason I use Missing Sync now is due to the shortcomings
    > > in iSync. I did try iSynch when I first bought a PDA around five years
    > > ago. From what I have read, iSync has not improved since that time.

    > I'd love to see a comparison between Missing Sync and Entourage 2004's
    > Handheld Sync Conduit.

    Its difficult to compare because Missing Sync's only mission in life is
    moving data between devices, whereas Entourage has a far greater list of
    features, with syncing devices being a minor peace of it.

  12. Re: Options for Syncing on Mac OS X 10.5.2

    On 2008-02-13 11:03:56 -0500, Jolly Roger said:
> [...]
    >
    > Microsoft suggests 2008 users use Apple's iSync to HotSync data between
    > their handheld devices and their Macs, then use Sync Services to
    > synchronize Entourage with the iSync applications Address Book and iCal.
    > It's obvious that this adds much more complication to what was a simple
    > task of synchronization with 2004. Notice that notes and tasks are left
    > out of the equation, since Apple does not have a notes / tasks
    > application that works with iSync.
    >
    > To make matters worse, iSync operation with Palm devices is extremely
    > buggy and very limited. For instance, categories are not synchronized,
    > nor are various fields of contact and event information. Many, many
    > users are reporting thousands of duplicate events and contacts with each
    > synchronization. So until Microsoft addresses this problem (assuming
    > they ever do), Office 2004 is the best way to sync data between your

    Will this work if I'm using DateBook 6?

    Ruby

  13. Re: Options for Syncing on Mac OS X 10.5.2

    In article <2008030120120522503-rubyvee3@comcastnet>,
    Ruby Vee wrote:

    > Will this work if I'm using DateBook 6?

    It works with DateBook (Palm OS 3) or Address Book (Palm OS 5).

    I couldn't tell you about DateBook version 6 in particular. Microsoft
    does offer a trial version of Office 2004 on their web site - you could
    try it out for yourself.

    --
    Note: Please send all responses to the relevant news group. If you
    must contact me through e-mail, let me know when you send email to
    this address so that your email doesn't get eaten by my SPAM filter.

    JR

  14. Re: Options for Syncing on Mac OS X 10.5.2

    On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 09:26:05 -0600, Jolly Roger wrote
    (in article
    ):

    > I'd love to see a comparison between Missing Sync and Entourage 2004's
    > Handheld Sync Conduit.

    Missing Sync will sync both work and home addresses as well as a picture.

    It still plays musical phone numbers and will often reverse or duplicate them
    though (at least through 6.0.1 or so - I haven't synced since the last
    update).

  15. Re: Options for Syncing on Mac OS X 10.5.2

    On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 09:35:54 -0600, Jolly Roger wrote
    (in article
    ):

    >> Will this work if I'm using DateBook 6?

    > It works with DateBook (Palm OS 3) or Address Book (Palm OS 5).
    >
    > I couldn't tell you about DateBook version 6 in particular. Microsoft
    > does offer a trial version of Office 2004 on their web site - you could
    > try it out for yourself.

    IMO, once you hit Palm OS 5 you're better off sticking with the builtin apps
    (and Missing Sync).

  16. Re: Options for Syncing on Mac OS X 10.5.2

    In article <0001HW.C3F4C14300265A9DF02066D8@news.giganews.com>,
    Verne Arase wrote:

    > On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 09:35:54 -0600, Jolly Roger wrote
    > (in article
    > ):
    >
    > >> Will this work if I'm using DateBook 6?

    > > It works with DateBook (Palm OS 3) or Address Book (Palm OS 5).
    > >
    > > I couldn't tell you about DateBook version 6 in particular. Microsoft
    > > does offer a trial version of Office 2004 on their web site - you could
    > > try it out for yourself.

    > IMO, once you hit Palm OS 5 you're better off sticking with the builtin apps
    > (and Missing Sync).

    I have *zero* problems with Entourage (Office 2004) and my Palm Treo
    700p running Palm OS 5. It does and always has worked *perfectly*. It
    synchronizes everything I want, both ways, never fails, and is fast. I
    am very satisfied with it. I don't see how adding another application to
    the picture would make anything better.

    I *want* my Palm Treo to be synchronized with my calendar and address
    book in Entourage. I *don't* want to have to store that data somewhere
    else and then have to worry about keeping that data synchronized with
    Entourage.

    --
    Note: Please send all responses to the relevant news group. E-mail
    sent to this address may be devoured by my very hungry SPAM filter.

    JR

  17. Re: Options for Syncing on Mac OS X 10.5.2

    In article
    ,
    Jolly Roger wrote:

    > In article <0001HW.C3F4C14300265A9DF02066D8@news.giganews.com>,
    > Verne Arase wrote:
    >
    > > On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 09:35:54 -0600, Jolly Roger wrote
    > > (in article
    > > ):

    > > > It works with DateBook (Palm OS 3) or Address Book (Palm OS 5).
    > > >
    > > > I couldn't tell you about DateBook version 6 in particular. Microsoft
    > > > does offer a trial version of Office 2004 on their web site - you could
    > > > try it out for yourself.

    > > IMO, once you hit Palm OS 5 you're better off sticking with the builtin
    > > apps
    > > (and Missing Sync).

    > I have *zero* problems with Entourage (Office 2004) and my Palm Treo
    > 700p running Palm OS 5. It does and always has worked *perfectly*. It
    > synchronizes everything I want, both ways, never fails, and is fast. I
    > am very satisfied with it. I don't see how adding another application to
    > the picture would make anything better.
    >
    > I *want* my Palm Treo to be synchronized with my calendar and address
    > book in Entourage. I *don't* want to have to store that data somewhere
    > else and then have to worry about keeping that data synchronized with
    > Entourage.

    In Entourage 2004 I lost some important data by syncing because
    Entourage 2004 only supports one mailing address per contact record,
    whereas I maintain a work and home address for many people in my address
    book and in some cases, multiple home addresses. To me, it is primitive
    that Entourage 2004 forces users to chose which address to sync and
    that's why I stopped using it after the first sync and recovered my data
    from a back up. I wonder if Entourage 2008 fixes that problem.

  18. Re: Options for Syncing on Mac OS X 10.5.2

    In article ,
    Shawn Hirn wrote:

    > In article
    > ,
    > Jolly Roger wrote:
    >
    > > In article <0001HW.C3F4C14300265A9DF02066D8@news.giganews.com>,
    > > Verne Arase wrote:
    > >
    > > > On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 09:35:54 -0600, Jolly Roger wrote
    > > > (in article
    > > > ):

    > > > IMO, once you hit Palm OS 5 you're better off sticking with the builtin
    > > > apps
    > > > (and Missing Sync).

    > > I have *zero* problems with Entourage (Office 2004) and my Palm Treo
    > > 700p running Palm OS 5. It does and always has worked *perfectly*. It
    > > synchronizes everything I want, both ways, never fails, and is fast. I
    > > am very satisfied with it. I don't see how adding another application to
    > > the picture would make anything better.
    > >
    > > I *want* my Palm Treo to be synchronized with my calendar and address
    > > book in Entourage. I *don't* want to have to store that data somewhere
    > > else and then have to worry about keeping that data synchronized with
    > > Entourage.

    > In Entourage 2004 I lost some important data by syncing because
    > Entourage 2004 only supports one mailing address per contact record,
    > whereas I maintain a work and home address for many people in my address
    > book and in some cases, multiple home addresses. To me, it is primitive
    > that Entourage 2004 forces users to chose which address to sync and
    > that's why I stopped using it after the first sync and recovered my data
    > from a back up. I wonder if Entourage 2008 fixes that problem.

    Entourage 2008 doesn't even synchronize with Palm devices anymore. I
    seriously doubt it fixes that problem. Personally, I only have multiple
    addresses for very few contacts in Entourage, and none on my Palm Treo.
    So it doesn't bother me that Entourage doesn't synchronize both.

    --
    Note: Please send all responses to the relevant news group. E-mail
    sent to this address may be devoured by my very hungry SPAM filter.

    JR

  19. Re: Options for Syncing on Mac OS X 10.5.2

    On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 21:46:21 -0600, Jolly Roger wrote
    (in article
    ):

    >> IMO, once you hit Palm OS 5 you're better off sticking with the builtin
    >> apps
    >> (and Missing Sync).

    > I *want* my Palm Treo to be synchronized with my calendar and address
    > book in Entourage. I *don't* want to have to store that data somewhere
    > else and then have to worry about keeping that data synchronized with
    > Entourage.

    I meant the Palm apps, which are pretty good (and don't use those flakey
    secondary palm databases).

    But yes, I do like the Mac apps (Address Book and iCal) ... they're nice apps
    and are used synergistically with the rest of the system.

    I guess that you're somehow locked into Exchange Server - but if you're not,
    the MacOS apps are capable and simple enough to be dependable.

  20. Re: Options for Syncing on Mac OS X 10.5.2

    In article <0001HW.C3F6F0C6000102CDB04379AF@news.giganews.com>,
    Verne Arase wrote:

    > On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 21:46:21 -0600, Jolly Roger wrote
    > (in article
    > ):
    >
    > >> IMO, once you hit Palm OS 5 you're better off sticking with the builtin
    > >> apps
    > >> (and Missing Sync).

    > > I *want* my Palm Treo to be synchronized with my calendar and address
    > > book in Entourage. I *don't* want to have to store that data somewhere
    > > else and then have to worry about keeping that data synchronized with
    > > Entourage.

    > I meant the Palm apps, which are pretty good (and don't use those flakey
    > secondary palm databases).
    >
    > But yes, I do like the Mac apps (Address Book and iCal) ... they're nice apps
    > and are used synergistically with the rest of the system.
    >
    > I guess that you're somehow locked into Exchange Server - but if you're not,
    > the MacOS apps are capable and simple enough to be dependable.

    Nah - I'm not locked into Exchange. I simply prefer the power-user
    features of Entourage enough to have it be my default email client. And
    since it's my email client, it's also my calendar and address book. It's
    only natural for me to want my Palm to sync with Entourage in this case.