Replacement for E2 - Treo? If so which? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Replacement for E2 - Treo? If so which? - Palmtop ; My wife's Tungsten E2 is on its last legs so we're thinking of upgrading it, we're thinking of one of the Treos (probably a 500) but have some questions (we're in the UK which may be relevant to some of ...

  1. Replacement for E2 - Treo? If so which?

    My wife's Tungsten E2 is on its last legs so we're thinking of
    upgrading it, we're thinking of one of the Treos (probably a 500) but
    have some questions (we're in the UK which may be relevant to some of
    the answers) :-

    Is data transfer as simple as synchronising the E2 with Palm
    Desktop and then synchonising the Treo with Palm Desktop?

    Do the Treos take standard SIMs? I.e. will she be able to take
    the SIM out of her existing phone (I think it's a Motorola) and
    put it in the Treo?

    What's battery life like on a Treo compared with the E2 (OK, it's
    not comparing like with like as it's a phone as well but some
    guide would be useful)

    Finally, what are the major differences between the various Treos, any
    reason for going for a more expensive one?

    --
    Chris Green

  2. Re: Replacement for E2 - Treo? If so which?

    Previously on comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, tinnews@isbd.co.uk said:

    > My wife's Tungsten E2 is on its last legs so we're thinking of
    > upgrading it, we're thinking of one of the Treos (probably a 500) but
    > have some questions (we're in the UK which may be relevant to some of
    > the answers) :-
    >
    > Is data transfer as simple as synchronising the E2 with Palm
    > Desktop and then synchonising the Treo with Palm Desktop?

    No. The 500 is a WinMob device, not a PalmOS device.

    > Do the Treos take standard SIMs? I.e. will she be able to take
    > the SIM out of her existing phone (I think it's a Motorola) and
    > put it in the Treo?

    Assuming the Treo is a GSM unit, yes of course.

    http://euro.palm.com/uk/en/products/...nes/index.html

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "If I am ever the Hero top 100 list: #71. My weapon of choice will be
    the one that allows the greatest distance between me and my target.

  3. Re: Replacement for E2 - Treo? If so which?

    wrote in message
    > My wife's Tungsten E2 is on its last legs so we're thinking of
    > upgrading it, we're thinking of one of the Treos (probably a 500)

    Lovely piece of hardware but it runs Windows Mobile, so any PalmOS
    applications will be incompatible.

    For a PalmOS device, you need a Treo 650 (there are a few around) or the 680
    (lots about).

    I've recently converged devices (again) with a Treo 680; this was driven by
    being fed up of carting about four devices (Tungsten T3, 'phone, keyboard,
    BlackBerry). That'll be down to two (Treo, keyboard) soon enough.

    As to why the Treo 680, a combination of form factor, availability, price
    and a desire to be different from all the BlackBerry zombies at the office.
    There also isn't much else out there running a GSM / GPRS radio and
    PalmOS. *cough*

    > but
    > have some questions (we're in the UK which may be relevant to some of
    > the answers) :-
    >
    > Is data transfer as simple as synchronising the E2 with Palm
    > Desktop and then synchonising the Treo with Palm Desktop?

    Pretty much. With my newly acquired Treo 680, I had to install Palm Desktop
    6.2 - the instructions say absolutely do not use an existing Palm Desktop
    installation.

    > Do the Treos take standard SIMs? I.e. will she be able to take
    > the SIM out of her existing phone (I think it's a Motorola) and
    > put it in the Treo?

    Yes. Do bear in mind that if you want to use the data aspect of the Treo
    you'll need that turned on via your mobile provider. Do also bear in mind
    that if you don't want to use the data aspect, it's a bit of an expensive
    device choice, too. A T|X can be had for ~£210 or so, the Treo 680 is
    another £50 odd.

    > What's battery life like on a Treo compared with the E2 (OK, it's
    > not comparing like with like as it's a phone as well but some
    > guide would be useful)

    As you point out, that very much depends on how you use the device(s).

    For my own case, I am a keen PDA user. I'll always clock up at least a
    minimum of an hour using my device and occasionally closer to four hours.
    For mobile 'phone purposes, less keen: I bought a Walkman 'phone and used it
    for music at the gym, but otherwise handled little in the way of calls and
    only a few SMS / MMSs during a week. Perhaps 30 a month between the three
    (minutes, messages).

    I'm going to use the Treo to replace my corporate BlackBerry but not just
    yet. The first charge lasted for three days but it's too soon to say that
    this is representative or otherwise.

    The Treo 680 has a reputation for having a weak battery life; since I was
    having to recharge my Tungsten T3 three times in two days that wasn't an
    issue. My Walkman 'phone saw a charge once a week or so.

    > Finally, what are the major differences between the various Treos, any
    > reason for going for a more expensive one?

    Too numerous to write here, but the operating system is a critical point
    _if_ you have legacy applications.

    Comparing my BlackBerry Curve side by side with the Treo 680, in some
    respects the BlackBerry feels a generation newer and improved over the Treo.
    But, the BlackBerry doesn't run PalmOS applications - I've used PalmOS for
    eight years, I've acquired a few down the years and I don't want to let go.
    To a degree I'm trapped by the operating system.

    If you're not trapped by the operating system, don't whatever you do assume
    that if you run a Microsoft operating system on a desktop or notebook, that
    a device also running a Microsoft operating system will be seamless and work
    perfectly right out of the box. It may not. It has *never* done so for me
    and I've tried a bunch down the years.

    What are your needs and priorities?

    --
    The DervMan
    www.dervman.com

  4. Re: Replacement for E2 - Treo? If so which?

    Previously on comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, DervMan said:

    > For a PalmOS device, you need a Treo 650 (there are a few around) or the 680
    > (lots about).

    Or Centro. European Centros should be GSM, and appear to be what the
    500 is built from.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "Catch her off guard! A gift that will knock her socks off,
    literally!" "You mean, like Riff's experimental explosive anklets?"
    "Ok, maybe not 'literally'. And remind me to take back the Hanukah
    present Riff gave me." - Sasha and Torg, Sluggy Freelance

  5. Re: Replacement for E2 - Treo? If so which?

    Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
    > Previously on comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, DervMan said:
    >
    > > For a PalmOS device, you need a Treo 650 (there are a few around) or the 680
    > > (lots about).

    > Or Centro. European Centros should be GSM, and appear to be what the
    > 500 is built from.

    Yes, I've just spotted the Centro, available from 14th and not too
    expensive.

    So the choice if we want to stay with PalmOS seems to be Centro or
    680.

    --
    Chris Green

  6. Re: Replacement for E2 - Treo? If so which?

    tinnews@isbd.co.uk a écrit :
    > Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
    >> Previously on comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, DervMan said:
    >>
    >>> For a PalmOS device, you need a Treo 650 (there are a few around) or the 680
    >>> (lots about).

    >> Or Centro. European Centros should be GSM, and appear to be what the
    >> 500 is built from.
    >>

    > Yes, I've just spotted the Centro, available from 14th and not too
    > expensive.
    >
    > So the choice if we want to stay with PalmOS seems to be Centro or
    > 680.

    Hi Chris,

    In fact, the Centro seems to be a redesigned Treo 680. If you check the
    following page :
    http://euro.palm.com/uk/en/products/...artphones.html
    all the main features are the same. The main difference for the everyday
    use will be
    - the size and weight, the Centro being slightly smaller and lighter,
    - the expansion slot (Centro -> miniSD, 680 -> SD, SDIO, miniSD)
    - the camera (Centro -> 1.3 Mpix, 680 -> VGA :-( don't buy it for
    it's camera !!)

    I personnly own a 680 I bought a few month ago to replace an old Nokia
    6820 (I loved that phone) that fell in the water. I wanted a smartphone
    with keyboard and the 680 was the cheapest one with either PalmOS (I
    also have Tungsten C) or Symbian (I did not want MS stuff...) because
    Palm was offering some discount for this phone, because of the comming
    release of the Centro for sure.

    Once the Centro is out, perhaps you well get good prices for the Treo ?

    Charly

  7. Re: Replacement for E2 - Treo? If so which?

    "Charly" wrote in message
    > tinnews@isbd.co.uk a écrit :
    >> Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:

    >>> Or Centro. European Centros should be GSM, and appear to be what the
    >>> 500 is built from.
    >>>

    >> Yes, I've just spotted the Centro, available from 14th and not too
    >> expensive.
    >>
    >> So the choice if we want to stay with PalmOS seems to be Centro or
    >> 680.
    >>

    > Hi Chris,
    >
    > In fact, the Centro seems to be a redesigned Treo 680. If you check the
    > following page :
    > http://euro.palm.com/uk/en/products/...artphones.html
    > all the main features are the same. The main difference for the everyday
    > use will be
    > - the size and weight, the Centro being slightly smaller and lighter,
    > - the expansion slot (Centro -> miniSD, 680 -> SD, SDIO, miniSD)
    > - the camera (Centro -> 1.3 Mpix, 680 -> VGA :-( don't buy it for
    > it's camera !!)
    >
    > I personnly own a 680 I bought a few month ago to replace an old Nokia
    > 6820 (I loved that phone) that fell in the water. I wanted a smartphone
    > with keyboard and the 680 was the cheapest one with either PalmOS (I also
    > have Tungsten C) or Symbian (I did not want MS stuff...) because Palm was
    > offering some discount for this phone, because of the comming release of
    > the Centro for sure.
    >
    > Once the Centro is out, perhaps you well get good prices for the Treo ?

    I've read that the Centro is "the Treo the 680 should have been," and
    perhaps... perhaps not. If the only core differences are what they appear
    to be I'm still happy with the Treo 680; if I wanted a camera I'd bring
    along a "proper" one heh.

    --
    The DervMan
    www.dervman.com

  8. Re: Replacement for E2 - Treo? If so which?

    DervMan wrote :
    > I've read that the Centro is "the Treo the 680 should have been," and
    > perhaps... perhaps not. If the only core differences are what they appear
    > to be I'm still happy with the Treo 680; if I wanted a camera I'd bring
    > along a "proper" one heh.

    I totally agree with that ! And I prefer the SD card slot instead of
    the mini SD...

    Charly

  9. Re: Replacement for E2 - Treo? If so which?

    "Charly" wrote in message
    > DervMan wrote :
    >> I've read that the Centro is "the Treo the 680 should have been," and
    >> perhaps... perhaps not. If the only core differences are what they
    >> appear to be I'm still happy with the Treo 680; if I wanted a camera I'd
    >> bring along a "proper" one heh.
    >>

    > I totally agree with that ! And I prefer the SD card slot instead of the
    > mini SD...

    The other side of the coin is that if one always waits for the next device,
    in case that's better (however and whatever that means) we'd never buy
    anything!

    --
    The DervMan
    www.dervman.com

  10. Re: Replacement for E2 - Treo? If so which?

    Previously on comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, Charly said:

    > In fact, the Centro seems to be a redesigned Treo 680. If you check the

    Sure, if you consider the 680 a redesigned 650, which is a redesigned
    600...

    It's merely the next item in the line.

    > following page :
    > http://euro.palm.com/uk/en/products/...artphones.html
    > all the main features are the same. The main difference for the everyday
    > use will be
    > - the size and weight, the Centro being slightly smaller and lighter,
    > - the expansion slot (Centro -> miniSD, 680 -> SD, SDIO, miniSD)

    Funny, my Treo 680 has a regular SDHC slot, not a miniSD slot.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "If I am ever the Hero top 100 list: #91. If my powers depend on a
    talisman in my possession, I will never openly display it, but keep it
    hidden in my codpiece/brassiere; a flashy, gaudy article of jewelry,
    having no mystical potency of any kind, will be brandished when I
    employ my super powers.

  11. Re: Replacement for E2 - Treo? If so which?

    "Jeffrey Kaplan" wrote in message
    news:uk86r3d44nk8sbt7c6sqhgdqvcqo1kkuvb@gordol.org ...
    > Previously on comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, Charly said:
    >
    >> In fact, the Centro seems to be a redesigned Treo 680. If you check the

    > Sure, if you consider the 680 a redesigned 650, which is a redesigned
    > 600...
    >
    > It's merely the next item in the line.
    >
    >> following page :
    >> http://euro.palm.com/uk/en/products/...artphones.html
    >> all the main features are the same. The main difference for the everyday
    >> use will be
    >> - the size and weight, the Centro being slightly smaller and lighter,
    >> - the expansion slot (Centro -> miniSD, 680 -> SD, SDIO, miniSD)

    > Funny, my Treo 680 has a regular SDHC slot, not a miniSD slot.

    Yes - but with the right SD converter thingie, it'll happily take miniSD
    cards.

    --
    The DervMan
    www.dervman.com

  12. Re: Replacement for E2 - Treo? If so which?

    tinnews@isbd.co.uk wrote...

    >Finally, what are the major differences between the various Treos, any
    >reason for going for a more expensive one?

    I have a Palm Treo 750 which runs Windows Mobile 6 (it came installed with
    WM5).

    I'm not happy with it. It is a phone and a PDA but doesn't do either job
    good. Rather, it's a compromise.

    WM is much like Windows XP or any other flavor of Windows. It's slow
    sometimes crashes, applications stop responding and for a PDA the screen's
    too small.

    Those with fighter jet pilot vision may find them OK, though.

    Presumably the Treo 500 runs PalmOS. If so then it's probably more stable
    than its dearer cousins.

    Me, I'm looking at getting a TX and selling the Treo, and getting a
    proper, dedicated phone for normal phone use.

  13. Re: Replacement for E2 - Treo? If so which?

    On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 13:08:10 +1100, Snapper
    wrote:

    >tinnews@isbd.co.uk wrote...
    >
    >>Finally, what are the major differences between the various Treos, any
    >>reason for going for a more expensive one?

    >Presumably the Treo 500 runs PalmOS. If so then it's probably more stable
    >than its dearer cousins.

    Actually the Treo 500 runs a flavor of Windows Mobile. The Palm Centro
    is the PalmOS version of this device.
    --
    Cause, really, nothing says "I'm a counter culture
    rebel, fighting the establishment" like an Aibo on

    Roberto Castillo
    robertocastillo@ameritech.net
    http://zombie-gulch.myminicity.com/

  14. Re: Replacement for E2 - Treo? If so which?

    Zombie Elvis wrote...

    >>Presumably the Treo 500 runs PalmOS. If so then it's probably more stable
    >>than its dearer cousins.

    >Actually the Treo 500 runs a flavor of Windows Mobile. The Palm Centro
    >is the PalmOS version of this device.

    Ok, I wasn't sure. Here in Australia we have a few models of Treo. The
    only one that I know that is a WM model is the 750.

+ Reply to Thread