Freeware Password App - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Freeware Password App - Palmtop ; Hi all, with much sadness I have been forced to retire my PalmOS Clie and move to an HTC Touch running WM6. I used my palm as a PDA a lot and im looking to replace some of the functionality ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

  1. Freeware Password App

    Hi all,

    with much sadness I have been forced to retire my PalmOS Clie and move
    to an HTC Touch running WM6. I used my palm as a PDA a lot and im
    looking to replace some of the functionality I had with WM software.
    Does anyone have suggestions for:

    1) A Password safe - Ive been using Zetetic "Strip" which was
    perfect . I need to be able to store passwords and CC numbers and PINs
    etc. An accompanying windows desktop app would be cool but not
    essential

    2) A stock tracking app (doesnt need to trade, just download portfolio
    details)

    3) Currency converter (with online update)

    4) A scientific calculator with unit conversion

    Preferably free- or cheapware. I would pay for really outstanding
    apps.

    Thanks for suggestions.

    andy M

  2. Re: Freeware Password App

    andy M wrote:

    > 1) A Password safe - Ive been using Zetetic "Strip" which was
    > perfect . I need to be able to store passwords and CC numbers and PINs
    > etc. An accompanying windows desktop app would be cool but not
    > essential

    I don't use one myself but my wife uses Roboform - which unfortunately is
    not free.

    > 2) A stock tracking app (doesnt need to trade, just download portfolio
    > details)

    Pass.

    > 3) Currency converter (with online update)

    Pass as well.

    > 4) A scientific calculator with unit conversion

    I use a free HP-41 emulator, found here: http://www.hp41.org

    Ebbe

  3. Re: Freeware Password App

    >> 1) A Password safe - Ive been using Zetetic "Strip" which was
    perfect . I need to be able to store passwords and CC numbers and PINs
    etc. An accompanying windows desktop app would be cool but not
    essential <<

    know that the winmobile devices master password is very secure with
    respect to anything in main memory... otherwise, google for POCKETPC
    PASSWORD...

    many good things have been posted about ewallet over the years

    >> 2) A stock tracking app (doesnt need to trade, just download

    portfolio details) <<

    Might see what your online service looks like using pie... for example,
    if it offers details in pdf format, download and open in acrobat's pdf
    reader

    >> 3) Currency converter (with online update) <<

    "Gamma Unit" did this but is now gone... google time. Gamma Unit is a
    still great unit converter, but, if you run "update currency" you will
    have to re-install the app.

    >> 4) A scientific calculator with unit conversion <<

    There are a number of excellent calculators out there as well as unit
    converters... google time. My suggestion (without units) is Eval from
    Sachs.

    Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

  4. Re: Freeware Password App

    andy M wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > with much sadness I have been forced to retire my PalmOS Clie and move
    > to an HTC Touch running WM6. I used my palm as a PDA a lot and im
    > looking to replace some of the functionality I had with WM software.
    > Does anyone have suggestions for:
    >
    > 1) A Password safe - Ive been using Zetetic "Strip" which was
    > perfect . I need to be able to store passwords and CC numbers and PINs
    > etc. An accompanying windows desktop app would be cool but not
    > essential

    Call me paranoid but I would avoid any password manager that is freeware.

    Imagine a criminally minded hacker builds in a routine in their freeware
    password app to "phone home" the contents of the database when the PDA is
    synced with the desktop computer. Imagine all your CC numbers, PINs, PayPal
    passwords etc in the hands of hackers! Bear in mind also (at least in the
    UK) that you would be responsible for all losses if your CC/bank card PINS
    were compromised in this way.

    I would only go with a product made by a well established reputable software
    house. Too much at stake. I know most freeware products are probably
    reputable but I'm unwilling to take that chance with so much at risk.

    BTW I keep my passwords on my desktop computer in a pgp encrypted text file

    --
    Peter

  5. Re: Freeware Password App

    On 2008-02-08, Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev] wrote:
    > >> 1) A Password safe - Ive been using Zetetic "Strip" which was

    > perfect . I need to be able to store passwords and CC numbers and PINs
    > etc. An accompanying windows desktop app would be cool but not
    > essential <<
    >
    > know that the winmobile devices master password is very secure with
    > respect to anything in main memory... otherwise, google for POCKETPC
    > PASSWORD...

    Dunno if this runs on Pocket PC (*);

    http://passwordsafe.sourceforge.net/

    (* Without doubt the biggest piece of junk to come out of Redmond. Or indeed,
    out of anywhere.)

    [email me at huge {at} huge (dot) org uk]

  6. Re: Freeware Password App

    On 2008-02-08, Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev] wrote:
    > >> 1) A Password safe - Ive been using Zetetic "Strip" which was

    > perfect . I need to be able to store passwords and CC numbers and PINs
    > etc. An accompanying windows desktop app would be cool but not
    > essential <<
    >
    > know that the winmobile devices master password is very secure with
    > respect to anything in main memory... otherwise, google for POCKETPC
    > PASSWORD...

    Dunno if this runs on Pocket PC (*);

    http://passwordsafe.sourceforge.net/

    (* Without doubt the biggest piece of junk to come out of Redmond. Or indeed,
    out of anywhere.)

    [email me at huge {at} huge (dot) org uk]

  7. Re: Freeware Password App

    "andy M" wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > with much sadness I have been forced to retire my PalmOS Clie and move
    > to an HTC Touch running WM6. I used my palm as a PDA a lot and im
    > looking to replace some of the functionality I had with WM software.
    > Does anyone have suggestions for:
    >
    > 1) A Password safe - Ive been using Zetetic "Strip" which was
    > perfect . I need to be able to store passwords and CC numbers and PINs
    > etc. An accompanying windows desktop app would be cool but not
    > essential

    I use the yadabytepasswords it has a windows version that opens the same
    encrypted file so I can sync between my PPC and my XP laptop. It's free from
    the yadabyte website.

  8. Re: Freeware Password App

    "andy M" wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > with much sadness I have been forced to retire my PalmOS Clie and move
    > to an HTC Touch running WM6. I used my palm as a PDA a lot and im
    > looking to replace some of the functionality I had with WM software.
    > Does anyone have suggestions for:
    >
    > 1) A Password safe - Ive been using Zetetic "Strip" which was
    > perfect . I need to be able to store passwords and CC numbers and PINs
    > etc. An accompanying windows desktop app would be cool but not
    > essential

    I use the yadabytepasswords it has a windows version that opens the same
    encrypted file so I can sync between my PPC and my XP laptop. It's free from
    the yadabyte website.

  9. Re: Freeware Password App

    "Trust No OneŽ" wrote in message
    > andy M wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> with much sadness I have been forced to retire my PalmOS Clie and move
    >> to an HTC Touch running WM6. I used my palm as a PDA a lot and im
    >> looking to replace some of the functionality I had with WM software.
    >> Does anyone have suggestions for:
    >>
    >> 1) A Password safe - Ive been using Zetetic "Strip" which was
    >> perfect . I need to be able to store passwords and CC numbers and PINs
    >> etc. An accompanying windows desktop app would be cool but not
    >> essential
    >>

    > Call me paranoid but I would avoid any password manager that is freeware.
    >
    > Imagine a criminally minded hacker builds in a routine in their freeware
    > password app to "phone home" the contents of the database when the PDA is
    > synced with the desktop computer. Imagine all your CC numbers, PINs,
    > PayPal passwords etc in the hands of hackers! Bear in mind also (at least
    > in the UK) that you would be responsible for all losses if your CC/bank
    > card PINS were compromised in this way.
    >
    > I would only go with a product made by a well established reputable
    > software house. Too much at stake. I know most freeware products are
    > probably reputable but I'm unwilling to take that chance with so much at
    > risk.
    >
    > BTW I keep my passwords on my desktop computer in a pgp encrypted text
    > file

    The Open Source movement makes this whole argument nonsense. You can obtain
    the source code and examine it. You don't have merely to believe that the
    [object] code you are running is the same as the [source] code you are
    viewing - just recompile your [vetted] copy of the source code, after
    removing all the black-hat code if you like, and use the result.

    Try KeePass at
    http://www.freewarepocketpc.net/ppc-...pc-v0-4-5.html It's
    free and open source.

    Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you ...

    No, I have no affiliation to the Open Source movement or to the makers of
    KeePass.

    Harold Fuchs
    London, England

  10. Re: Freeware Password App

    "Trust No OneŽ" wrote in message
    > andy M wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> with much sadness I have been forced to retire my PalmOS Clie and move
    >> to an HTC Touch running WM6. I used my palm as a PDA a lot and im
    >> looking to replace some of the functionality I had with WM software.
    >> Does anyone have suggestions for:
    >>
    >> 1) A Password safe - Ive been using Zetetic "Strip" which was
    >> perfect . I need to be able to store passwords and CC numbers and PINs
    >> etc. An accompanying windows desktop app would be cool but not
    >> essential
    >>

    > Call me paranoid but I would avoid any password manager that is freeware.
    >
    > Imagine a criminally minded hacker builds in a routine in their freeware
    > password app to "phone home" the contents of the database when the PDA is
    > synced with the desktop computer. Imagine all your CC numbers, PINs,
    > PayPal passwords etc in the hands of hackers! Bear in mind also (at least
    > in the UK) that you would be responsible for all losses if your CC/bank
    > card PINS were compromised in this way.
    >
    > I would only go with a product made by a well established reputable
    > software house. Too much at stake. I know most freeware products are
    > probably reputable but I'm unwilling to take that chance with so much at
    > risk.
    >
    > BTW I keep my passwords on my desktop computer in a pgp encrypted text
    > file

    The Open Source movement makes this whole argument nonsense. You can obtain
    the source code and examine it. You don't have merely to believe that the
    [object] code you are running is the same as the [source] code you are
    viewing - just recompile your [vetted] copy of the source code, after
    removing all the black-hat code if you like, and use the result.

    Try KeePass at
    http://www.freewarepocketpc.net/ppc-...pc-v0-4-5.html It's
    free and open source.

    Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you ...

    No, I have no affiliation to the Open Source movement or to the makers of
    KeePass.

    Harold Fuchs
    London, England

  11. Re: Freeware Password App

    On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 06:37:40 -0800 (PST), andy M
    wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >with much sadness I have been forced to retire my PalmOS Clie and move
    >to an HTC Touch running WM6. I used my palm as a PDA a lot and im
    >looking to replace some of the functionality I had with WM software.
    >Does anyone have suggestions for:
    >
    >1) A Password safe - Ive been using Zetetic "Strip" which was
    >perfect . I need to be able to store passwords and CC numbers and PINs
    >etc. An accompanying windows desktop app would be cool but not
    >essential

    I'm happy with eWallet. No free, but not very expensive, and you can
    try before you buy. Definitely has a desktop app; in fact, I enter
    data only in the desktop version, and treat my phone copy as
    read-only. See www.handango.com

    clip

    >Preferably free- or cheapware. I would pay for really outstanding
    >apps.
    >
    >Thanks for suggestions.
    >
    >andy M

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    PenFact, Inc.
    20 Park Plaza, Suite 400
    Boston, MA 02116
    www.penfact.com
    Useful reading (be sure to read its disclaimer first):

  12. Re: Freeware Password App

    wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >with much sadness I have been forced to retire my PalmOS Clie and move
    >to an HTC Touch running WM6. I used my palm as a PDA a lot and im
    >looking to replace some of the functionality I had with WM software.
    >Does anyone have suggestions for:
    >
    >1) A Password safe - Ive been using Zetetic "Strip" which was
    >perfect . I need to be able to store passwords and CC numbers and PINs
    >etc. An accompanying windows desktop app would be cool but not
    >essential

    I'm happy with eWallet. No free, but not very expensive, and you can
    try before you buy. Definitely has a desktop app; in fact, I enter
    data only in the desktop version, and treat my phone copy as
    read-only. See www.handango.com

    clip

    >Preferably free- or cheapware. I would pay for really outstanding
    >apps.
    >
    >Thanks for suggestions.
    >
    >andy M

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    PenFact, Inc.
    20 Park Plaza, Suite 400
    Boston, MA 02116
    www.penfact.com
    Useful reading (be sure to read its disclaimer first):

  13. Re: Freeware Password App

    wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >with much sadness I have been forced to retire my PalmOS Clie and move
    >to an HTC Touch running WM6. I used my palm as a PDA a lot and im
    >looking to replace some of the functionality I had with WM software.
    >Does anyone have suggestions for:
    >
    >1) A Password safe - Ive been using Zetetic "Strip" which was
    >perfect . I need to be able to store passwords and CC numbers and PINs
    >etc. An accompanying windows desktop app would be cool but not
    >essential
    >
    >2) A stock tracking app (doesnt need to trade, just download portfolio
    >details)
    >
    >3) Currency converter (with online update)
    >
    >4) A scientific calculator with unit conversion
    >
    >Preferably free- or cheapware. I would pay for really outstanding
    >apps.
    >
    >Thanks for suggestions.
    >
    >andy M

    I use NYX password storage (free) from www.nyxbull.com. There's an
    (alpha) PC version as well that can read the Windows Mobile data file.

    Good stuff, in my opinion.

    --Mort

    -- Mort

  14. Re: Freeware Password App

    In message
    r_z_aret@pen_fact.com wrote:

    >I'm happy with eWallet. No free, but not very expensive, and you can
    >try before you buy. Definitely has a desktop app; in fact, I enter
    >data only in the desktop version, and treat my phone copy as
    >read-only. See www.handango.com

    It has a surprisingly robust sync mechanism too, including the ability
    to sync multiple sources at once.

    I have my desktop set to sync my PPC, and a location on my internal LAN.
    My laptop syncs that same location on my LAN (but via FTP, rather then a
    file share), but in the event my FTP server is offline, it uses it's own
    internal DB instead.

    This is one of the very few applications that appears to properly sync
    between three or more locations using files as a data transport, rather
    then needing a direct connection between them.

  15. Re: Freeware Password App

    In message
    r_z_aret@pen_fact.com wrote:

    >I'm happy with eWallet. No free, but not very expensive, and you can
    >try before you buy. Definitely has a desktop app; in fact, I enter
    >data only in the desktop version, and treat my phone copy as
    >read-only. See www.handango.com

    It has a surprisingly robust sync mechanism too, including the ability
    to sync multiple sources at once.

    I have my desktop set to sync my PPC, and a location on my internal LAN.
    My laptop syncs that same location on my LAN (but via FTP, rather then a
    file share), but in the event my FTP server is offline, it uses it's own
    internal DB instead.

    This is one of the very few applications that appears to properly sync
    between three or more locations using files as a data transport, rather
    then needing a direct connection between them.

  16. Re: Freeware Password App

    On 8 Feb., 17:50, Huge wrote:

    > (* Without doubt the biggest piece of junk to come out of Redmond. Or indeed,
    > out of anywhere.)

    With you on that. It amazes me that Palm have managed to screw up so
    badly depsite WM being so ****. The Touch would be a superb device if
    it was running PalmOS, but it doenst.

    andy M

  17. Re: Freeware Password App

    On 8 Feb., 17:11, "Trust No OneŽ" wrote:

    > Call me paranoid but I would avoid any password manager that is freeware.

    Ill call you paranoid then ;-)

    Im not so botehred about the scurity as about having the things with
    me. I could put em on word but thats perhaps a bit TOO easy to
    steal ;-)

    > I would only go with a product made by a well established reputable software
    > house.

    Such as?

    andy M

  18. Re: Freeware Password App

    On 9 Feb., 10:48, "Harold Fuchs" wrote:

    > No, I have no affiliation to the Open Source movement or to the makers of
    > KeePass.

    Thats exactly what I am currently assessing, seems to be exactly what
    I wanted. The open source code would mean nothing to me but if there
    were trojans in there someone would have shouted.

    Thanks for the suggestion.

    andy m

  19. Re: Freeware Password App

    On Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 04:11:18PM -0000, Trust No One? wrote:

    > Call me paranoid but I would avoid any password manager that is freeware.

    OK. You're paranoid. And not the good kind of paranoid.

    "IMO, the primary historical significance of Unix is that it marks the
    time in computer history where CPUs became so cheap that it was possible
    to build an operating system without adult supervision."
    -- Russ Holsclaw in a.f.c

  20. Re: Freeware Password App

    Ebbe Kristensen wrote:
    >I don't use one myself but my wife uses Roboform - which unfortunately is
    >not free.

    The best for desktop but the Palm module is useless as it cnn't be edited and decryption is SLOW.
    --
    Gil W0MN Yanoff +, the PDA reader
    Creed en las obras y no en las palabras

+ Reply to Thread