I'm missing Essential Tungsten W software - Palmtop

This is a discussion on I'm missing Essential Tungsten W software - Palmtop ; I picked up a T|W the other day and have been spending time with it. It came with a CD called "Desktop software & manual" so I figured that was all. Hehe, wrong. I'm missing a CD called "Essential Software" ...

  1. I'm missing Essential Tungsten W software

    I picked up a T|W the other day and have been spending time with it.

    It came with a CD called "Desktop software & manual" so I figured that
    was all. Hehe, wrong. I'm missing a CD called "Essential Software" or
    something, a CD that included JOT and other software.

    In addition, this machine received a firmware update to 4.1.2. I think
    that is why my ID isn't recognized to download the update to the
    "Essential Software" CD.

    (Either that or it tracks what ID's have been used ... *sigh*)

    In the absence of this CD, I'm trying to get my T|W up and running well.

    So far I've found "Graffiti Anywhere" so I can use Graffiti 2. (The
    hacks for installing Graffiti 1 on here seem to fail.)

    The device is unlocked and when I put my SIM card in it connected to the
    T-Mobile network, much to my surprise... and using GMS I'm able to dial
    into a dialup account at 9600BAUD. Its my understanding (may be flawed)
    that GPRS requires a contract with my ISP while GMS just uses regular
    phone minutes..

    With my setup mentioned detailed, here is what I"m looking for.
    The "Essential Software CD" would be nice, but doubt I'll find that.

    Some sort of graphics web browser. Opera would be nice, but I can't find
    the JRE for the T|W. I can only find the ARM based JREs.

    (Palmscape PR 5.0a4 works well for text only. Palmscape 3 and Xiinu are
    both unregistrable shareware. The company that released them back in
    2005 is gone.)

    I hate to say it, but if I get actual links to what to download, I'd love
    it. I spent HOURS S(ing)TFW. If someone had a dead T|W and a stack of
    disks, I'd even toss a few dollars in trade of said disks.

    A good telnet program that recognizes the highdef graphics screen.
    Both ptelnet and Palm Telnet work, but I only get 40 columns in that
    graphics mode with horizontal scrolling.)

    And does anyknow know of NR Deluxe actually works with the T|W?
    OmniRemote works well after training. NR Deluxe won't talk to any of my
    IR devices. Doesn't matter if I trained or used an existing database.

  2. Re: I'm missing Essential Tungsten W software

    "Jeremy J Starcher" wrote in message
    >I picked up a T|W the other day and have been spending time with it.
    >
    > It came with a CD called "Desktop software & manual" so I figured that
    > was all. Hehe, wrong. I'm missing a CD called "Essential Software" or
    > something, a CD that included JOT and other software.
    >
    > In addition, this machine received a firmware update to 4.1.2. I think
    > that is why my ID isn't recognized to download the update to the
    > "Essential Software" CD.
    >
    > (Either that or it tracks what ID's have been used ... *sigh*)
    >
    > In the absence of this CD, I'm trying to get my T|W up and running well.
    >
    > So far I've found "Graffiti Anywhere" so I can use Graffiti 2. (The
    > hacks for installing Graffiti 1 on here seem to fail.)
    >

    > The device is unlocked and when I put my SIM card in it connected to the
    > T-Mobile network, much to my surprise... and using GMS I'm able to dial
    > into a dialup account at 9600BAUD. Its my understanding (may be flawed)
    > that GPRS requires a contract with my ISP while GMS just uses regular
    > phone minutes..
    >
    > With my setup mentioned detailed, here is what I"m looking for.
    > The "Essential Software CD" would be nice, but doubt I'll find that.
    >
    > Some sort of graphics web browser. Opera would be nice, but I can't find
    > the JRE for the T|W. I can only find the ARM based JREs.
    >
    > (Palmscape PR 5.0a4 works well for text only. Palmscape 3 and Xiinu are
    > both unregistrable shareware. The company that released them back in
    > 2005 is gone.)
    >
    > I hate to say it, but if I get actual links to what to download, I'd love
    > it. I spent HOURS S(ing)TFW. If someone had a dead T|W and a stack of
    > disks, I'd even toss a few dollars in trade of said disks.
    >
    > A good telnet program that recognizes the highdef graphics screen.
    > Both ptelnet and Palm Telnet work, but I only get 40 columns in that
    > graphics mode with horizontal scrolling.)
    >

    > And does anyknow know of NR Deluxe actually works with the T|W?
    > OmniRemote works well after training. NR Deluxe won't talk to any of my
    > IR devices. Doesn't matter if I trained or used an existing database.

    Try Shareaza or the like for Palm software.

  3. Re: I'm missing Essential Tungsten W software

    On Feb 2, 2:36 am, Jeremy J Starcher wrote:

    > The device is unlocked and when I put my SIM card in it connected to the
    > T-Mobile network, much to my surprise... and using GMS I'm able to dial
    > into a dialup account at 9600BAUD. Its my understanding (may be flawed)
    > that GPRS requires a contract with my ISP while GMS just uses regular
    > phone minutes..

    Yes, accessing the internet through GSM/GPRS is a separate service
    from voice/sms. Might be worth considering, since GPRS should be
    faster; in my experience, it feels about as fast as a landline dial-up
    @ 56k.

    > With my setup mentioned detailed, here is what I"m looking for.
    > The "Essential Software CD" would be nice, but doubt I'll find that.
    >
    > Some sort of graphics web browser. Opera would be nice, but I can't find
    > the JRE for the T|W. I can only find the ARM based JREs.
    >
    > (Palmscape PR 5.0a4 works well for text only. Palmscape 3 and Xiinu are
    > both unregistrable shareware. The company that released them back in
    > 2005 is gone.)

    If my recollection is not faulty (someone please correct me if I'm
    wrong), the Essentials CD has Webpro, which is a graphical browser.
    However, again, as far as I can recall, Webpro is proxy-based and,
    since the proxy's long dead, you didn't really miss anything.

    I also have been trying to look for a graphical browser that will work
    with Palm OS4 (for the Alphasmart Dana that I bought off ebay). So
    far, the only one I've found is Avantgo 4.2 (which I was still able to
    download from Avantgo.com some weeks ago). As a browser, it's fairly
    limited (and you'll have to create an account with Avantgo to use it,
    even as just a browser), but it is graphical and I was able to make it
    work with Gmail's mobile version.

  4. Re: I'm missing Essential Tungsten W software

    On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 06:01:08 -0800, lsf_palm wrote:

    > On Feb 2, 2:36 am, Jeremy J Starcher wrote:
    > Yes, accessing the internet through GSM/GPRS is a separate service from
    > voice/sms. Might be worth considering, since GPRS should be faster; in
    > my experience, it feels about as fast as a landline dial-up @ 56k.

    Best I can tell, going through just gms (dialup) only chews minutes. Its
    9600 BAUD, but as little as I'd be using it, I can live with that. I can
    connect via a cable here and preload and save pages (more about that in a
    moment.)

    > If my recollection is not faulty (someone please correct me if I'm
    > wrong), the Essentials CD has Webpro, which is a graphical browser.
    > However, again, as far as I can recall, Webpro is proxy-based and, since
    > the proxy's long dead, you didn't really miss anything.

    The update has a new version of webpro that can run without a proxy.
    Thanks to a kind soul who gave me the update's name I was able to snag a
    copy from another source.

    > I also have been trying to look for a graphical browser that will work
    > with Palm OS4 (for the Alphasmart Dana that I bought off ebay).

    As I said the latest version of webpro works, though mine seems bound to
    that particular hardware. Being proxyless, it sucks down everything, but
    that is better than nothing.

    maps.google.com works usable on it.
    Mapquest failed horribly.

    > the only one I've found is Avantgo 4.2 (which I was still able to
    > download from Avantgo.com some weeks ago).

    I'll look into that.

    I'm half tempted to see if I can find a mobile-proxy out there and at
    least run my own proxy server. If nothing else I might be able to do a
    web-based proxy and strip/reduce graphics before things are sent down the
    pipe.

+ Reply to Thread