Good bye, all - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Good bye, all - Palmtop ; I see the death of Palm in the not too distant future. Here is what happened to me after using Palms for about fifteen years. My first E2 died completely within weeks. Being dependent on the Palm, I was not ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

  1. Good bye, all

    I see the death of Palm in the not too distant future. Here is what
    happened to me after using Palms for about fifteen years.

    My first E2 died completely within weeks. Being dependent on the Palm, I
    was not happy about sending it in to Palm and waiting for a replacement.
    I threw such a horror show at the local Palm store that, after my going
    through the motions of following phone instructions from Customer
    Service without success, the store agreed to give me a new unit after I
    returned the old Palm and all the cables. However, they made me sign a
    statement that in future I would abide by Palm's return policy.

    The second Palm suffered from a badly drifting digitizer which made it
    unusable at times. I had to buy some software which would automatically
    realign the screen at various intervals; I think I set it to every five
    minutes. When the battery on the second E2 died prematurely, I decided
    that living with Palms might just cost me $200/year and I had better get
    used to it. Joy, Joy! Amazon was selling the E2 for $150.

    The third E2 seemed ok except for the brain-dead memory manager on
    current models. Every time I wanted to load AvantGo documents, I had to
    first do a soft reset or the E2 would crash. After quitting AvantGo,
    program loads would take up to one minute unless I did a second soft
    reset. I think they are treating memory the way everyone treats a hard
    disk; they permit it to fragment and the soft reset de-frags it.

    I should now mention that the E2 also crashed in the middle of the
    operation whenever I did a "full backup" using The Missing Sync. So, I
    stuck to merely downloading current AvantGo pages, and backing up the
    memos, address book, and calendar. However, I did a daily full backup to
    an SD card. For various reasons, with my second E2 I did a number of
    hard resets and had no problem restoring from the SD card.

    My Mac is an Intel one, and can run Windows. I have one application for
    the Palm which requires backup up to the Palm Desktop on Windows. For a
    while, this worked. Then one day, the USB would no longer connect from
    Palm to Windows. Nor would infra red. After a download of an upgraded
    Palm Desktop, there was a recommendation that I do a hard reset. Having
    done this so many times with the previous E2, I had no qualms. I should
    have had! When I tried to restore, the E2 crashed while restoring files
    somewhere in the "A's". I had four backups: a current one and three
    checkpoint backups from the recent past. I tried, in turn, restoring
    from each of them. They all crashed at the same point.

    So, it's good bye Palm and you good folks. I decided to go over to the
    dark side, and bought a HP IPAQ Pocket PC. The best think is that the
    most obnoxious feature of Windows are not present on the mobile version.

    Herb

    --
    To send me email, replace deadspam.com by acm.org

  2. Re: Good bye, all

    Per Herbert Kanner:
    >So, it's good bye Palm and you good folks. I decided to go over to the
    >dark side, and bought a HP IPAQ Pocket PC. The best think is that the
    >most obnoxious feature of Windows are not present on the mobile version.

    How about updating us in a couple months with your satisfaction
    level?

    I'm about fed up with my TX, but have been putting off a
    migration - partially because I don't know of a hierarchical list
    manager for Win, but mainly bco uncertainty factor - don't want
    tb going from the frying pan into the fire...
    --
    PeteCresswell

  3. Re: Good bye, all

    Herbert Kanner wrote:
    > I see the death of Palm in the not too distant future. Here is what
    > happened to me after using Palms for about fifteen years.

    ....cut
    > So, it's good bye Palm and you good folks. I decided to go over to the
    > dark side, and bought a HP IPAQ Pocket PC. The best think is that the
    > most obnoxious feature of Windows are not present on the mobile version.

    Maybe after living with the IPAQ you could let us know what you think? I
    too have lived with Palm a long time. I've had my E2 over 2 years and
    don't look forward to the day it needs replacing since I don't want to
    got to a PDA w/phone just to stay in the Palm world.

  4. Re: Good bye, all

    On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 10:07:16PM -0600, rqk wrote:

    > Maybe after living with the IPAQ you could let us know what you think? I
    > too have lived with Palm a long time. I've had my E2 over 2 years and
    > don't look forward to the day it needs replacing since I don't want to
    > got to a PDA w/phone just to stay in the Palm world.

    Even if you don't like the E2 there's still the Z22 and T|X.

    --
    David Cantrell | Official London Perl Mongers Bad Influence

    Suffer the little children to come unto me, as
    their buying habits are most easily influenced.
    -- Marketroid Jesus

  5. Re: Good bye, all

    In article , x@y.Invalid
    says...
    > Per Herbert Kanner:
    > >So, it's good bye Palm and you good folks. I decided to go over to the
    > >dark side, and bought a HP IPAQ Pocket PC. The best think is that the
    > >most obnoxious feature of Windows are not present on the mobile version.

    > How about updating us in a couple months with your satisfaction
    > level?
    >
    > I'm about fed up with my TX, but have been putting off a
    > migration - partially because I don't know of a hierarchical list
    > manager for Win, but mainly bco uncertainty factor - don't want
    > tb going from the frying pan into the fire...

    I've been a Palm user for I don't don't know how many years. I
    think I started with a Palm III. But Palm doesn't seem interested
    in upgrading its software for XP. And my daughter's Itouch is
    light years from my TX. There is a kind of old brotherhood when
    you see other people whip out the TX in meetings, but unless
    some real leadership comes to Palm, I think it's just about over.

    S.

  6. Re: Good bye, all

    >So, it's good bye Palm and you good folks. I decided to go over to the
    >dark side, and bought a HP IPAQ Pocket PC. The best think is that the
    >most obnoxious feature of Windows are not present on the mobile version.

    Yes, please let us know what you think of it.

    I (once again) broke my promise to never buy another Palm, when I replaced
    my TX with an E2. It's starting to show signs of power-button-loss but
    otherwise is OK if a tad slow.

    As a long-time MS hater, I dread the day I need to move to a Pocket PC.
    I've tried out an old Nokia 770, and it seems to have promise, I'm just
    so used to Palm that I can't get the hang of it. (Mostly, I don't want
    to wait 15 seconds for it to turn on just to get a phone number.)

    I've still got one (maybe 2, I'm not sure) M515s lying around the house to
    tide me over.

    --hymie! http://lactose.homelinux.net/~hymie hymie@lactose.homelinux.net
    ------------------------ Without caffeine for 456 days ------------------------

  7. Re: Good bye, all

    On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 18:27:17 -0800, Herbert Kanner
    wrote:

    >I see the death of Palm in the not too distant future. Here is what
    >happened to me after using Palms for about fifteen years.
    >
    >My first E2 died completely within weeks. Being dependent on the Palm, I
    >was not happy about sending it in to Palm and waiting for a replacement.
    >I threw such a horror show at the local Palm store that, after my going
    >through the motions of following phone instructions from Customer
    >Service without success, the store agreed to give me a new unit after I
    >returned the old Palm and all the cables. However, they made me sign a
    >statement that in future I would abide by Palm's return policy.
    >
    >The second Palm suffered from a badly drifting digitizer which made it
    >unusable at times. I had to buy some software which would automatically
    >realign the screen at various intervals; I think I set it to every five
    >minutes. When the battery on the second E2 died prematurely, I decided
    >that living with Palms might just cost me $200/year and I had better get
    >used to it. Joy, Joy! Amazon was selling the E2 for $150.
    >
    >The third E2 seemed ok except for the brain-dead memory manager on
    >current models. Every time I wanted to load AvantGo documents, I had to
    >first do a soft reset or the E2 would crash. After quitting AvantGo,
    >program loads would take up to one minute unless I did a second soft
    >reset. I think they are treating memory the way everyone treats a hard
    >disk; they permit it to fragment and the soft reset de-frags it.
    >
    >I should now mention that the E2 also crashed in the middle of the
    >operation whenever I did a "full backup" using The Missing Sync. So, I
    >stuck to merely downloading current AvantGo pages, and backing up the
    >memos, address book, and calendar. However, I did a daily full backup to
    >an SD card. For various reasons, with my second E2 I did a number of
    >hard resets and had no problem restoring from the SD card.
    >
    >My Mac is an Intel one, and can run Windows. I have one application for
    >the Palm which requires backup up to the Palm Desktop on Windows. For a
    >while, this worked. Then one day, the USB would no longer connect from
    >Palm to Windows. Nor would infra red. After a download of an upgraded
    >Palm Desktop, there was a recommendation that I do a hard reset. Having
    >done this so many times with the previous E2, I had no qualms. I should
    >have had! When I tried to restore, the E2 crashed while restoring files
    >somewhere in the "A's". I had four backups: a current one and three
    >checkpoint backups from the recent past. I tried, in turn, restoring
    >from each of them. They all crashed at the same point.
    >
    >So, it's good bye Palm and you good folks. I decided to go over to the
    >dark side, and bought a HP IPAQ Pocket PC. The best think is that the
    >most obnoxious feature of Windows are not present on the mobile version.

    Sorry to hear about your bad experiences. I have had my Sony Clie
    TH-55 for three and a half years, and still cannot find anything in
    its league to replace it with. Works like a champ.

  8. OT Hymie: Re: Good bye, all

    > I've still got one (maybe 2, I'm not sure) M515s lying around the house to
    > tide me over.
    >
    > --hymie! http://lactose.homelinux.net/~hymie hymie@lactose.homelinux.net
    > ------------------------ Without caffeine for 456 days ------------------------

    Thanks for the lacrosse pages. Much appreciated.
    What's the story behind no caffeine?

    S.

  9. Re: Good bye, all

    Per Mike Koenecke:
    >Sorry to hear about your bad experiences. I have had my Sony Clie
    >TH-55 for three and a half years, and still cannot find anything in
    >its league to replace it with. Works like a champ.

    Hang on to it!!!

    My Sony Clie was definitely the high point of my PalmPilot
    experience.
    --
    PeteCresswell

  10. Re: Good bye, all

    Herbert Kanner wrote in

    > I see the death of Palm in the not too distant future. Here is
    > what happened to me after using Palms for about fifteen years.

    Maybe the best Palms are the ones that only have a short-lived model
    life time???

    I have had a Tungsten C from the introduction (because of the keypad)
    and have only had one problem: the wifi connect was weak. I could sit
    directly under a transmitter and still fail to connect, and yet it
    could detect a private wifi two blocks away that I could (obviously)
    not connect to.

    Solution? Turned off the wifi stuff, and been happy for over three
    years now!

  11. Re: Good bye, all

    Herbert Kanner wrote:

    > The third E2 seemed ok except for the brain-dead memory
    > manager on
    > current models. Every time I wanted to load AvantGo documents,
    > I had to
    > first do a soft reset or the E2 would crash. After quitting
    > AvantGo,
    > program loads would take up to one minute unless I did a
    > second soft
    > reset. I think they are treating memory the way everyone
    > treats a hard
    > disk; they permit it to fragment and the soft reset de-frags
    > it.

    Does Palm write the Avantgo software? Unless they do it seems
    unfair to lay those problems on Palm.
    --
    Regards,
    Doug

  12. Re: Good bye, all

    Apalita wrote:

    > I have had a Tungsten C from the introduction (because of the keypad)
    > and have only had one problem: the wifi connect was weak. I could sit
    > directly under a transmitter and still fail to connect, and yet it
    > could detect a private wifi two blocks away that I could (obviously)
    > not connect to.

    yeah, excellent Palm, I have it too, and I'm using it.

    > Solution? Turned off the wifi stuff, and been happy for over three
    > years now!

    Solution is to send to Palm for repair... why? There is something wrong
    in the OS, I read in internet. In some machines the internal MAC-address
    (the unique machine ID) was changed (I don't know the circumstances) and
    a user is not able to make it running again.

    Read what European/German Palm support answered to an email from me
    (translated by Babelfish and myself from German to English, hope
    understandable):

    > Thank you for your inquiry with the Palm(tm) technical support.
    > your ticket number is xxxxxxxxx
    >
    > It is correct that there was a number of the Tungsten C devices,
    > which changed the MAC address internally, so working with WiFi no
    > longer possible.
    >
    > Possibly it is to be solved with a hard RESET: Due to the information
    > supplied by you we assume the error can be repaired by a hard RESET.
    >
    > In the following we send you an assistance for implementing a hard RESET.
    > IMPORTANT NOTE: Note that by this procedure all data on the Palm(tm)
    > are deleted.
    >
    > You implement a hard RESET as follows:
    > 1. Hold the switch-on button of the Palm(tm)
    > 2. While you keep that button pressed, put the reset tool into the
    > opening on the back of the equipment, planned for it.
    > 3. When 'Palm Powered Logo' is on the display, release the switch-on button.
    >
    > Note: when now being in preferences of Palm, repeat (once) same procedure
    > starting with 1.
    >
    > 4. display will show a hint, which warns of the deletion of the data.
    > You will have to put key "above"

    ### have not done up to now... ###

    > 5. If the erasing process was accepted, you are requested to accomplish
    > the basic setup. Then Palm is completely resetted.
    >
    > If no success after 5., then then please do the following:
    >
    > Due to the defect described by you the Palm(tm) equipment must be
    > repaired. In order to be able to send your equipment in to the
    > warranty repair, we need the following information from you:
    >
    > - your complete address (during daytime someone should be reachable,
    > no p.o. box!):
    >
    > - phone number (landline/mobile): - type and language of the equipment
    > (e.g. Tungsten(tm), internationally English):
    >
    > - serial number of the equipment: In system under info/version.
    >
    > Exact information, how and where you can send your equipment,
    > you will receive from the coworkers of our support in the answer to your next E-Mail.
    >
    > For further questions please write.
    > Yours sincerely
    > xxx Palm(tm) technical support

    No, I don't have sent T|C up to now because still in use. Meanwhile have
    bought Treo 680 though no WiFi but not yet transferred all programs and
    data... For Treo I bought a cheap prepaid card including data access, so
    WiFi not much missing.

    And I have not yet hard resetted T|C, because it is running... never
    change a running sytem ;-) Backup I am doing on SD-card.

    Juergen

  13. Re: Good bye, all

    Adam Helberg wrote:

    > I think Palm placed all it's bets on the Treo from Handspring,
    > and the trouble is now
    > everybody is making smart phones and Palm cannot compete.

    Can't compete? Where is the evidence for that statement? Jan
    2008 Consumers Reports rated the 755p 2nd only to the iPhone.
    Not too shabby. A close 2nd btw.

    --
    Regards,
    Doug

  14. Re: Good bye, all

    On 29 Jan 2008, Herbert Kanner wrote:

    > So, it's good bye Palm and you good folks. I decided to go over to
    > the dark side, and bought a HP IPAQ Pocket PC. The best think is
    > that the most obnoxious feature of Windows are not present on the
    > mobile version.

    It's a pity. If the TX did everything it's supposed to, it would be
    one awesome PDA! But it only does about a third of it! After more
    than 2 years, I've given up expecting that Palm will fix the many, many
    bugs.

    Dave

    --
    D.a.v.i.d T.i.k.t.i.n
    t.i.k.t.i.n [at] a.d.v.a.n.c.e.d.r.e.l.a.y [dot] c.o.m

  15. Re: Good bye, all

    "David Tiktin" wrote in message
    news:Xns9A3594D1C834Cdtiktinnospambogusco@216.196. 97.136...
    > On 29 Jan 2008, Herbert Kanner wrote:
    >
    >> So, it's good bye Palm and you good folks. I decided to go over to
    >> the dark side, and bought a HP IPAQ Pocket PC. The best think is
    >> that the most obnoxious feature of Windows are not present on the
    >> mobile version.

    > It's a pity. If the TX did everything it's supposed to, it would be
    > one awesome PDA! But it only does about a third of it! After more
    > than 2 years, I've given up expecting that Palm will fix the many, many
    > bugs.
    >
    > Dave

    I think Palm placed all it's bets on the Treo from Handspring, and the trouble is now
    everybody is making smart phones and Palm cannot compete.

    Adam

  16. Re: Good bye, all

    On 30 Jan 2008, "Adam Helberg" wrote:

    > "David Tiktin" wrote in message
    > news:Xns9A3594D1C834Cdtiktinnospambogusco@216.196. 97.136...
    >> On 29 Jan 2008, Herbert Kanner wrote:
    >>
    >>> So, it's good bye Palm and you good folks. I decided to go over
    >>> to the dark side, and bought a HP IPAQ Pocket PC. The best think
    >>> is that the most obnoxious feature of Windows are not present on
    >>> the mobile version.

    >> It's a pity. If the TX did everything it's supposed to, it would
    >> be one awesome PDA! But it only does about a third of it! After
    >> more than 2 years, I've given up expecting that Palm will fix the
    >> many, many bugs.
    >>
    >> Dave

    > I think Palm placed all it's bets on the Treo from Handspring, and
    > the trouble is now everybody is making smart phones and Palm
    > cannot compete.

    For whatever reason, they certainly seem to have abandoned the TX.
    Unfortunately for me, I don't want a smart phone, I want a PDA ;-(

    Dave

    --
    D.a.v.i.d T.i.k.t.i.n
    t.i.k.t.i.n [at] a.d.v.a.n.c.e.d.r.e.l.a.y [dot] c.o.m

  17. Re: Good bye, all

    In message
    Herbert Kanner wrote:

    >I see the death of Palm in the not too distant future. Here is what
    >happened to me after using Palms for about fifteen years.

    I've only been a user since the late 90s, and I too have just recently
    throw in the towel.

    I've posted part of the rant here, and summed up nearly everything on my
    blog...

    http://www.thedave.ca/wordpress/inde...oyal-customer/

    I'd be happy to discuss any points here though, the goal isn't to steal
    traffic from usenet, just laziness

    >So, it's good bye Palm and you good folks. I decided to go over to the
    >dark side, and bought a HP IPAQ Pocket PC. The best think is that the
    >most obnoxious feature of Windows are not present on the mobile version.

    I went with an HTC 8925 (aka Kaiser, aka TyTN II, aka AT&T Tilt) myself,
    and despite being annoyed by a number of things which are still
    unresolved as of my last Windows Mobile experience (2002 era), I'm not
    finding the process to be as painful as I'd expected.

  18. Re: Good bye, all

    DevilsPGD wrote:

    > I went with an HTC 8925 (aka Kaiser, aka TyTN II, aka AT&T Tilt) myself,
    > and despite being annoyed by a number of things which are still
    > unresolved as of my last Windows Mobile experience (2002 era), I'm not
    > finding the process to be as painful as I'd expected.

    Any good/bad experience of the StyleTap Palm Emulator
    in this environment?

    --
    Sylvain Bouju looking hard upon the HTC Touch Cruise...
    --

  19. Re: Good bye, all

    In article news:, Doug Hoffman wrote:
    > Jan 2008 Consumers Reports rated the 755p 2nd only to the iPhone.

    Eh? 755p? We don't get that in Europe.

    Oh, it's a CDMA thing, no wonder.

    Incidentally, I've just noticed that the US Palm site has something
    called a "Centro". In Europe we get a very similar-looking phone called
    the Treo 500 -- but it's a Windows Mobile device. It comes in black or
    white rather than a range of tasteless pinks ... and has a 320x240
    screen (which seems to be standard for WM) rather than 320x320.

    Nothing like reducing your sales by fragmenting your market, is there?

    Cheers,
    Daniel.

  20. Re: Good bye, all

    "Daniel James" wrote in message

    > The Nokia N180 "internet tablet" is quite interesting ... cheaper than
    > many PDAs I've bought and smaller than some; runs linux; can emulate a
    > Palm; good battery life, too, by all accounts (if you don't use it all
    > up playing video). Worth a look.

    The Nokia web site can't find an N180 ?????
    That's the UK site www.nokia.co.uk *and* the US site www.nokiausa.com -
    neither can find it.

    Harold Fuchs
    London, England