Treo680 update : kills Blazer ?? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Treo680 update : kills Blazer ?? - Palmtop ; Hi everyone, I just (tried to) upgrade my GSM (unlocked) Treo 680 with the latest patch from PalmOne (here : http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...lockedgsm.html ) I first tried the SD update following these steps : 1/ hotsync with the PC 2/ backup wiyh ...

  1. Treo680 update : kills Blazer ??

    Hi everyone,

    I just (tried to) upgrade my GSM (unlocked) Treo 680 with the latest
    patch from PalmOne
    (here :
    http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...lockedgsm.html)

    I first tried the SD update following these steps :
    1/ hotsync with the PC
    2/ backup wiyh NVBackup (so two backups)
    3/ hard reset
    4/ Patch install in French (I am in France) with the SD method
    5/ Restart of the Palm.

    At this point I have the Palm working great but for ONE BIG THING :
    Blazer is not working anymore... It does not even try to run the GPRS
    connection.

    If the phone is off, running Blazer switches it on, but I does not go
    further. When clicking a URL, I can see briefly the red cross appearing
    on the upper left corner, but nothing more happens. When lauchning
    Blazer, I have the message in French :
    "Vos paramètres réseau sont en cours de configuration, veuillez patienter"
    (OK bouton)

    In English it says :
    "Please wait while your network preferences are being configured"

    I tried Opera Mini, with was working fine previously. I first did
    install Opera through a NVBackup restore. It does start the GPRS
    connection, but then I have a "time out". If I try to install Opera Mini
    the regular way, the install does not complete since it needs an
    Internet connection.

    I tried other network applications, all work great ! :
    - Email
    - GoogleMaps
    - ccLite
    - ezFTP
    - JWakeMeUp (to try the JAVA network layer, used by Opera).
    - MergincPing
    - PortScanner

    When I probe the port 80 on www.yahoo.com, PortScanner says "open", but
    I cannot browse it with Blazer or Opera.

    And the telephone is working :-).

    I did a hard reset to change the language of the Palm into English
    (sometome, English version are better tested than the foreign ones), but
    no luck, same problem. Even BEFORE restoring data !! (thus a fresh
    "brand new" install). In English and French.

    Then I tried to REINSTALL the path with the HotSync method instead, (so
    starting from step 3). No differences at all (except that the Palm did
    keep rebooting in loop until I issued a hard reset again).

    My nexts steps :
    - try commercial web browser softwares to see if they work, and possibly
    buy one :-(
    - Try to find the Palm Treo ROM update for the previous version (v01.04
    ?) wich was working just great...

    Any comment or advice are welcome,

    Charly

  2. Re: Treo680 update : kills Blazer ??

    Hello again,

    Does anybody knows wether we can have email support from Palm ? I
    checked Palm Website and the "email button" mentionned in the pages is
    never there :-(.

    Any hints ?

    Thx,

    Charly

  3. Re: Treo680 update : kills Blazer ??

    Charly a écrit :

    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I just (tried to) upgrade my GSM (unlocked) Treo 680 with the latest
    > patch from PalmOne
    > (here :
    > http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...lockedgsm.html)
    >
    > I first tried the SD update following these steps :
    > 1/ hotsync with the PC
    > 2/ backup wiyh NVBackup (so two backups)
    > 3/ hard reset
    > 4/ Patch install in French (I am in France) with the SD method
    > 5/ Restart of the Palm.
    >
    > At this point I have the Palm working great but for ONE BIG THING :
    > Blazer is not working anymore... It does not even try to run the GPRS
    > connection.
    >
    > If the phone is off, running Blazer switches it on, but I does not go
    > further. When clicking a URL, I can see briefly the red cross appearing
    > on the upper left corner, but nothing more happens. When lauchning
    > Blazer, I have the message in French :
    > "Vos paramètres réseau sont en cours de configuration, veuillez patienter"
    > (OK bouton)
    >
    > In English it says :
    > "Please wait while your network preferences are being configured"
    >
    > I tried Opera Mini, with was working fine previously. I first did
    > install Opera through a NVBackup restore. It does start the GPRS
    > connection, but then I have a "time out". If I try to install Opera Mini
    > the regular way, the install does not complete since it needs an
    > Internet connection.
    >
    > I tried other network applications, all work great ! :
    > - Email
    > - GoogleMaps
    > - ccLite
    > - ezFTP
    > - JWakeMeUp (to try the JAVA network layer, used by Opera).
    > - MergincPing
    > - PortScanner
    >
    > When I probe the port 80 on www.yahoo.com, PortScanner says "open", but
    > I cannot browse it with Blazer or Opera.
    >
    > And the telephone is working :-).
    >
    > I did a hard reset to change the language of the Palm into English
    > (sometome, English version are better tested than the foreign ones), but
    > no luck, same problem. Even BEFORE restoring data !! (thus a fresh
    > "brand new" install). In English and French.
    >
    > Then I tried to REINSTALL the path with the HotSync method instead, (so
    > starting from step 3). No differences at all (except that the Palm did
    > keep rebooting in loop until I issued a hard reset again).
    >
    > My nexts steps :
    > - try commercial web browser softwares to see if they work, and possibly
    > buy one :-(
    > - Try to find the Palm Treo ROM update for the previous version (v01.04
    > ?) wich was working just great...
    >

    > Any comment or advice are welcome,
    >
    > Charly

    II just try Xiino 3.4.1.E : it works....

    So this is really a Blazer issue...

    Charly

  4. Re: Treo680 update : kills Blazer ?? SOLVED !

    Good evening all,

    So I suspected that some files caused the issues, restaured from old
    configuration by NVBackup.

    So I checked all the Blazer files and DB. Among the PRC, one of the file
    had a different timestamp (being older than the others). This file is
    called Blazer_ORFR.

    I made a new backup and then erase that file... and ... IT WORKS NOW !!!
    (do you what ? I'm happy ... ;-) (c) Chuck Jones)

    After digging on the net, it appears that this file comes on Treo's sold
    by the ORANGE French GSM company (thus the ORFR).

    By the way, Opera Mini is working as well now... This means it uses some
    parts of Blazer for its network access.

    Charly

+ Reply to Thread