smallest PDA? (not a watch, please - Rex like) - Palmtop

This is a discussion on smallest PDA? (not a watch, please - Rex like) - Palmtop ; I used to love my Rex 6000. Of course, I don't have a PCMCIA slot these days :-( What's the smallest "conventional" PDA? Something like the REX, rather than a watch (and I don't want to use a handphone). I ...

  1. smallest PDA? (not a watch, please - Rex like)

    I used to love my Rex 6000. Of course, I don't have a PCMCIA slot
    these days :-(

    What's the smallest "conventional" PDA? Something like the REX, rather
    than a watch (and I don't want to use a handphone).

    I don't need much functionality, address book, maybe a calendar and
    alarms, and I definitely need a way to store PINs & passwords.

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks

  2. Re: smallest PDA? (not a watch, please - Rex like)

    On 2008-01-25, Baron Samedi wrote:

    > The only key point I have is that I need a device that will let me
    > password protect certain data like bank account numbers, PINs and
    > passwords. I also want to carry one or two hundred addresses.
    >
    > For cell phones, I always buy on battery life, which means low end, so
    > not so many features. If there is one that will let me password
    > protect my Pins, then I might consider it.
    >
    > But data portability is a consideration. If I have a Palm, o r even
    > (shudder) windows PDA, there is no problem. I am not so sure about
    > phones. However, I did manage to transfer my REX data to Palm, so
    > maybe it can be done.

    I have a Nokia 770, with which I am very pleased, and have finally replaced my
    Psion 5MX. All the other PDAs I tried were rubbish, especially the iPaq. *What*
    a piece of trash. And as for Windows Mobile (shudder)...

    The '770 is obsolete now, but the 800 is available heavily discounted, since
    the '810 has come out.

    [email me at huge {at} huge (dot) org uk]

  3. Re: smallest PDA? (not a watch, please - Rex like)

    On Jan 25, 5:48 pm, Huge wrote:
    > On 2008-01-25, Baron Samedi wrote:
    >
    > > The only key point I have is that I need a device that will let me
    > > password protect certain data like bank account numbers, PINs and
    > > passwords. I also want to carry one or two hundred addresses.

    > > For cell phones, I always buy on battery life, which means low end, so
    > > not so many features. If there is one that will let me password
    > > protect my Pins, then I might consider it.

    > > But data portability is a consideration. If I have a Palm, o r even
    > > (shudder) windows PDA, there is no problem. I am not so sure about
    > > phones. However, I did manage to transfer my REX data to Palm, so
    > > maybe it can be done.

    > I have a Nokia 770, with which I am very pleased, and have finally replaced my
    > Psion 5MX. All the other PDAs I tried were rubbish, especially the iPaq. *What*
    > a piece of trash. And as for Windows Mobile (shudder)...
    >
    > The '770 is obsolete now, but the 800 is available heavily discounted, since
    > the '810 has come out.

    Unfortunately, I have an Ipaq :-( But I don't use it.

    Maybe I should, I dunno.

    For 'phones,. I have a Phillips which claims a 45 day(!) standby time,
    and probably does come close - I charge it so rarely that I don't even
    know how often I do.

    That ran me less than GBP 50 over here in Singaproe. I am not keen on
    the fonts, though, or SMS entry (need to push the "1" key 13(!) times
    to get a question mark).

    Much slicker, with weekly charging, is a Chiense LG which I bought in
    7-11 for about GBP 20.

    I really won't accpet anything that needs charging daily.

    My alternatives seem to be
    1) use the Ipaq
    2) buy a Zire 22, which is small enough to always have with me, just
    as I always have a camera wherever I go
    3) find a 'phone with long life *and* some form of data compatability
    (porbably with MS Outlook, although I hate that). No proprietary data
    formats in case I switch phones later - *BUT* the phoine also *must*
    let me passowrd protect bank a/c numbers, passwords and PINs, which
    seems like a tall order

    What do you think ?

  4. Re: smallest PDA? (not a watch, please - Rex like)

    On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 00:46:24 -0800 (PST), Baron Samedi
    wrote:

    >On Jan 25, 3:53*am, r_z_aret@pen_fact.com wrote:
    >> On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 22:39:59 -0800 (PST), Baron Samedi

    clip

    >Hi, Robert,
    >
    >Most of my data is read-only. So I don't mind if I have to wait until
    >I get home at night to enter a new one..

    I treat most data on my PDA as read-only. Partly because entering info
    is too hard, and partly to avoid synchronization problems (I have
    "desktop" always override PDA).

    >The only key point I have is that I need a device that will let me
    >password protect certain data like bank account numbers, PINs and
    >passwords.

    I use a program called eWallet to store such things, and it provides
    password protection. I know other similar programs exist.

    >I also want to carry one or two hundred addresses.

    I use the PIM that comes with my PDA for these, and I don't think they
    are protected.

    >For cell phones, I always buy on battery life, which means low end, so
    >not so many features. If there is one that will let me password
    >protect my Pins, then I might consider it.
    >
    >But data portability is a consideration. If I have a Palm, o r even
    >(shudder) windows PDA, there is no problem. I am not so sure about
    >phones. However, I did manage to transfer my REX data to Palm, so
    >maybe it can be done.

    Windows Mobile phones exist. Unfortunately, phone quality (radio
    reception, voice quality) tends to be poor, especially for the small
    ones; look for reviews that actually discuss it. I am generally very
    happy with my HTC S730, although I would have preferred a flip style.
    It's been very stable, except when I tried some programs that didn't
    work well. The battery lasts one or two days with light usage. I
    synchronize it with Outlook, and it comfortably holds several hundred
    contacts, my calendar, and a few tasks. eWallet holds some passwords
    and dozens of pages of notes; I enter these in my "desktop" copy of
    eWallet and treat the phone copy as read-only.

    I added a 6 GB microSD card that comfortably holds eWallet plus:
    a) Merriam-Webster unabridged dictionary
    b) a very nice media player (CoreCodec), about a dozen albums, a few
    hours of podcasts (including video), and a couple hours of other
    videos (youtube, etc.)
    c) a couple of eBook readers and a few dozen books
    d) my photo album with several hundred pictures (cut down to reduce
    load times)

    The camera is good enough for quick snap shots when I don't want to
    carry something better.

    I took a few years before really trying a "converged" device, but
    really like it now.

    For backup and when I want a bigger screen, I sometimes carry a
    Windows Mobile PDA phone. It also synchronizes nicely with Outlook and
    has a copy of eWallet.

    >The Palm Zire Z22 looks nice, and extremely small and it costs US$99
    >(in the USA).

    eWallet is available for Palm:
    http://www.iliumsoft.com/site/mprods/palmprods.php

    That price is definitely lower than my HTC S730

    The Zire is about twice as wide as many cell phones, including my HTC
    S730. The Treo 680 is about the same size as the Zire, but includes a
    cell phone; I didn't check price, but assume it is quite a bit more. I
    didn't check reviews for phone quality.

    If you're comfortable with the size of the Zire and with separate
    phone, the Zire plus eWallet (or similar program) looks like a good
    deal for you.

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    PenFact, Inc.
    20 Park Plaza, Suite 400
    Boston, MA 02116
    www.penfact.com
    Useful reading (be sure to read its disclaimer first):

  5. Re: smallest PDA? (not a watch, please - Rex like)

    On Jan 29, 3:54*am, r_z_aret@pen_fact.com wrote:
> [...]

    > really like it now.
    >
    > For backup and when I want a bigger screen, I sometimes carry a
    > Windows Mobile PDA phone. It also synchronizes nicely with Outlook and
    > has a copy of eWallet.
    >

    > >The Palm Zire Z22 looks nice, and extremely small and it costs US$99
    > >(in the USA).

    > eWallet is available for Palm:http://www.iliumsoft.com/site/mprods/palmprods.php
    >
    > That price is definitely lower than my HTC S730
    >
    > The Zire is about twice as wide as many cell phones, including my HTC
    > S730. The Treo 680 is about the same size as the Zire, but includes a
    > cell phone; I didn't check price, but assume it is quite a bit more. I
    > didn't check reviews for phone quality.
    >
    > If you're comfortable with the size of the Zire and with separate
    > phone, the Zire plus eWallet (or similar program) looks like a good

    Yes, I think I'll go with the Zire. You say that the 680 is about the
    same size, but I doubt if it matches on thickness :-)

    The Zire is so small that I won't notice that I am carrying it.

    I guess this thread is over, whcih is a pity, as I was enjoying it.
    Ooth, we could start in about multi-function devices, versus carrying
    a separate phone, pda, camera, GPS, etc, etc ... LOL

  6. Re: smallest PDA? (not a watch, please - Rex like)

    On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 19:38:22 -0800 (PST), Baron Samedi
    wrote:

    >On Jan 29, 3:54*am, r_z_aret@pen_fact.com wrote:
    >> On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 00:46:24 -0800 (PST), Baron Samedi

    clip

    >> The Zire is about twice as wide as many cell phones, including my HTC
    >> S730. The Treo 680 is about the same size as the Zire, but includes a
    >> cell phone; I didn't check price, but assume it is quite a bit more. I
    >> didn't check reviews for phone quality.
    >>
    >> If you're comfortable with the size of the Zire and with separate
    >> phone, the Zire plus eWallet (or similar program) looks like a good
    >> deal for you.
    >>

    >Yes, I think I'll go with the Zire. You say that the 680 is about the
    >same size, but I doubt if it matches on thickness :-)
    >
    >The Zire is so small that I won't notice that I am carrying it.
    >
    >I guess this thread is over, whcih is a pity, as I was enjoying it.

    I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    >Ooth, we could start in about multi-function devices, versus carrying
    >a separate phone, pda, camera, GPS, etc, etc ... LOL

    Anyone who wants multiple functions needs to compromise between
    carrying too much and too little. And that compromise is subjective
    and personal (not as in private but as in individual). So I don't see
    much reason for a public discussion, and tend to stay away from them.

    Good luck with your new tool.