DOC file editor for Linux - Palmtop

This is a discussion on DOC file editor for Linux - Palmtop ; Hi I have erased my Windows partition, and now only use Linux - but I miss the windows DOC file editor I used to use. Has someone made a DOC file editor for Linux? Maybe a plugin to gedit or ...

  1. DOC file editor for Linux

    Hi

    I have erased my Windows partition, and now only use Linux - but I miss
    the windows DOC file editor I used to use. Has someone made a DOC file
    editor for Linux? Maybe a plugin to gedit or OpenOffice? I am not
    interested in a conversion tool.

    Thanks...

    --
    Thomas Jensen
    www.tj-software.dk

  2. Re: DOC file editor for Linux

    On Jan 22, 8:35 pm, Thomas Jensen wrote:

    > I have erased my Windows partition, and now only use Linux - but I miss
    > the windows DOC file editor I used to use. Has someone made a DOC file
    > editor for Linux? Maybe a plugin to gedit or OpenOffice? I am not
    > interested in a conversion tool.

    I'd be surprised if there isn't (try pilot-tools and packages it
    suggests), but if not, there's always running what you know works in
    wine until you find or write your own native replacement.

  3. Re: DOC file editor for Linux

    You can create, open, edit, and save PalmDoc files using OpenOffice.
    (At least it does in my installation - OpenOffice.org 2.3.0 on
    PCLinux2007.)

    On Jan 23, 4:24 pm, Paul Johnson wrote:
    > On Jan 22, 8:35 pm, Thomas Jensen wrote:
    >
    > > I have erased my Windows partition, and now only use Linux - but I miss
    > > the windows DOC file editor I used to use. Has someone made a DOC file
    > > editor for Linux? Maybe a plugin to gedit or OpenOffice? I am not
    > > interested in a conversion tool.

    > I'd be surprised if there isn't (try pilot-tools and packages it
    > suggests), but if not, there's always running what you know works in
    > wine until you find or write your own native replacement.

  4. Re: DOC file editor for Linux

    Not exactly sure what you mean but there's a completely free (open source,
    LGPL) office suite named OpenOffice.org that runs on Linux, Windows and Mac
    and that does pretty much everything that MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint and
    Access do. It handles .doc, .xls, .ppt, .rtf etc. etc. files except that MS
    Office 2007 (OpenXML) documents won't be handled until version 2.4 planned
    for release this March. Get it at www.openoffice.org

    The reason I'm not sure about what you mean is that this is a Palm forum and
    you are talking Linux. As far as I know OpenOffice won't run on a Palm.

    Harold Fuchs
    London, England

    "Thomas Jensen" wrote in message
    news:4796c3fe$0$2971$ba624c82@nntp06.dk.telia.net. ..
    > Hi
    >
    > I have erased my Windows partition, and now only use Linux - but I miss
    > the windows DOC file editor I used to use. Has someone made a DOC file
    > editor for Linux? Maybe a plugin to gedit or OpenOffice? I am not
    > interested in a conversion tool.
    >
    > Thanks...
    >

    > --
    > Thomas Jensen
    > www.tj-software.dk

  5. Re: DOC file editor for Linux

    Den Wed, 23 Jan 2008 00:24:04 -0800 skrev Paul Johnson:

    > I'd be surprised if there isn't (try pilot-tools and packages it
    > suggests),

    Can't find anything with that name. Do you mean prc-tools?

    >but if not, there's always running what you know works in
    > wine until you find or write your own native replacement.

    I thought of wine 10 seconds after I send the question.... It works well.

    --
    Thomas

  6. Re: DOC file editor for Linux

    Den Wed, 23 Jan 2008 09:38:04 +0000 skrev Harold Fuchs:

    > The reason I'm not sure about what you mean is that this is a Palm forum
    > and you are talking Linux. As far as I know OpenOffice won't run on a
    > Palm.

    Well, technically, I ask for an DOC file editor. Sure, I could have made
    it more clear it was a *Palm* DOC file editor, but since this IS a Palm
    forum, I thought it was clear...

    BTW, first line in

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PalmDoc

    says: "The PalmDoc format is commonly called the DOC format."

    But you DID know that, didn't you? ;-)

    --
    Thomas

  7. Re: DOC file editor for Linux

    "Thomas Jensen" wrote in message
    news:47974823$0$15013$ba624c82@nntp02.dk.telia.net ...
    > Den Wed, 23 Jan 2008 09:38:04 +0000 skrev Harold Fuchs:
    >
    >> The reason I'm not sure about what you mean is that this is a Palm forum
    >> and you are talking Linux. As far as I know OpenOffice won't run on a
    >> Palm.
    >>

    > Well, technically, I ask for an DOC file editor. Sure, I could have made
    > it more clear it was a *Palm* DOC file editor, but since this IS a Palm
    > forum, I thought it was clear...
    >
    > BTW, first line in
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PalmDoc
    >
    > says: "The PalmDoc format is commonly called the DOC format."
    >
    > But you DID know that, didn't you? ;-)

    But did you know that OpenOffice can happily open and save AportisDoc files?
    Why don't you try it?

  8. Re: DOC file editor for Linux

    Den Wed, 23 Jan 2008 15:07:34 +0000 skrev Harold Fuchs:

    > But did you know that OpenOffice can happily open and save AportisDoc
    > files?

    No. Not before Larry said it.

    >Why don't you try it?

    I just did. I must say I am not to0 happy with OO. Sloooow.... Okay,
    maybe it's time to get a new laptop, but... well, this is a forum about
    Palm, so I will not get started on how I don't understand why programs
    grow and grow in size, and gets slower and slower and slower and
    slower, ... :-(

    --
    Thomas

  9. Re: DOC file editor for Linux

    If you use kpilot, another option would be to use the PalmDoc conduit,
    which converts PalmDoc to Text files (and back) when you hotsync. On
    the PC (running Linux), you could use any text editor to create/open/
    edit/save text files.

+ Reply to Thread