Re: Palm Desktop for XP and Treo 680 Upgrade Released - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Re: Palm Desktop for XP and Treo 680 Upgrade Released - Palmtop ; Zombie Elvis a écrit : > It's been a busy week for Palm. > > Palm Desktop application and drivers for Windows Vista have been in > Beta for a while and are now final. It is available here: > ...

  1. Re: Palm Desktop for XP and Treo 680 Upgrade Released

    Zombie Elvis a écrit :
    > It's been a busy week for Palm.
    >
    > Palm Desktop application and drivers for Windows Vista have been in
    > Beta for a while and are now final. It is available here:
    > http://www.palm.com/us/support/downloads/windesk62.html
    >

    > Unlocked Treo 680s have a new firmware upgrade which can be downloaded
    > here:
    > http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...lockedgsm.html

    I tried to install but it fails:
    - my treo 680 makes soft reset as soon as the update program starts,
    before copying at least one octet. Then an error message from the
    updater says that the usb communication is lost, and I should retry.
    - the website writes that periodic soft reset is normal, but I think
    that it would be normal if the updater copies something. In my
    situation, the updater does not copy anything and my treo makes soft
    reset many times without any progress.

  2. Re: Palm Desktop for XP and Treo 680 Upgrade Released

    Previously on comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, anonym said:

    > I tried to install but it fails:
    > - my treo 680 makes soft reset as soon as the update program starts,
    > before copying at least one octet. Then an error message from the
    > updater says that the usb communication is lost, and I should retry.

    A soft reset before anything is copied over is normal.

    Try making a full backup, then do a hard reset, then apply the upgrade.
    It may be that your Treo is taking "too long" to reboot due to apps
    that you have installed. Then when the update is finished, either
    reinstall your apps and data or do a piecemeal restore of only your
    apps and their data (specifically not a full restore).

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "Actually, I George W. Bush, this may sound a little West Texan to
    you, but I like it. When I'm talking about George W. Bush, when I'm
    talking about myself, and when he's talking about myself, all of us are
    talking about me." - George W. Bush, Hardball, MSNBC, May 31, 2000

  3. Re: Palm Desktop for XP and Treo 680 Upgrade Released

    Jeffrey Kaplan a écrit :
    > Previously on comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, anonym said:
    >
    >> I tried to install but it fails:
    >> - my treo 680 makes soft reset as soon as the update program starts,
    >> before copying at least one octet. Then an error message from the
    >> updater says that the usb communication is lost, and I should retry.

    > A soft reset before anything is copied over is normal.
    >
    > Try making a full backup, then do a hard reset, then apply the upgrade.
    > It may be that your Treo is taking "too long" to reboot due to apps
    > that you have installed. Then when the update is finished, either
    > reinstall your apps and data or do a piecemeal restore of only your
    > apps and their data (specifically not a full restore).

    so I did and it works.
    However, making a hard reset and reinstalling everything took me many
    hours of hard working ...

  4. Re: Palm Desktop for XP and Treo 680 Upgrade Released

    Hi anon,

    You wrote :
    > so I did and it works.
    > However, making a hard reset and reinstalling everything took me many
    > hours of hard working ...

    Can you (and other poeple with an updated 680) give us the result after
    some days of use if the update does really bring a big battery life
    enhancement ?

    TIA,

    Charly

  5. Re: Palm Desktop for XP and Treo 680 Upgrade Released

    Previously on comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, anon said:

    > > Try making a full backup, then do a hard reset, then apply the upgrade.
    > > It may be that your Treo is taking "too long" to reboot due to apps
    > > that you have installed. Then when the update is finished, either
    > > reinstall your apps and data or do a piecemeal restore of only your
    > > apps and their data (specifically not a full restore).

    > so I did and it works.
    > However, making a hard reset and reinstalling everything took me many
    > hours of hard working ...

    I know the feeling. Several days later, I'm still finding there are
    apps I forgot to re-enter my reg codes for.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "I've always thought that a leader should have a strong chin. He has no
    chin and his vice-president has several. This, to me, is not a good
    combination." (Cmdr. Ivanova, B5 "Midnight on the Firing Line")

  6. Re: Palm Desktop for XP and Treo 680 Upgrade Released

    Previously on comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, Charly said:

    > Can you (and other poeple with an updated 680) give us the result after
    > some days of use if the update does really bring a big battery life
    > enhancement ?

    I don't have any hard data, but I +believe+ that I am getting better
    battery life after this upgrade. It is conditional, however. Some
    apps (like graphic and/or sound intensive games) will eat up the
    battery regardless.

    This update also appears to have changed the charging rate. My Treo
    used to speed through a charge cycle much faster, it'd go from ~70% up
    to 100% in less than an hour. Now, it goes from ~70% to 99% in less
    than an hour, and then that last 1% will take another hour as it
    switches to trickle-charge.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "The Superior Person's Book Of Words", by Peter Bowler: EQUANIMITY:
    Calmness, unconcern. For maximum effect, use in a context where the
    reverse of this meaning is foreshadowed by the preceding words, e.g, "I
    must admit, Arbuthnot, that the prospect of our losing you is one that
    we all face with no little equanimity."

+ Reply to Thread