Backward compatability of Desktop Software - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Backward compatability of Desktop Software - Palmtop ; Another question. I've been using my M500, and just got a used Tungsten E. I've learned that I need to install the new desktop software that came with it to enable me to Hotsynce with the new Tungsten. But I ...

  1. Backward compatability of Desktop Software

    Another question. I've been using my M500, and just got a used
    Tungsten E. I've learned that I need to install the new desktop
    software that came with it to enable me to Hotsynce with the new
    Tungsten. But I still want to keep using my old M500 also (daughter
    will be using it)
    Will the new desktop software hotsync with my old M500 also? How will
    it know which device is connected? Will I need to change the hotsync
    name in the M500?

    Thanks

    Surf40

  2. Re: Backward compatability of Desktop Software

    On your first question:
    I have been able to sync my Alphasmart Dana (which uses Palm OS 4)
    with the desktop software that came with my Palm T|X. So it might be
    a safe guess to say that you'll be able to sync the m500 with the
    desktop software that came with the Tungsten E.

    On your 2nd & 3rd questions:
    Yes, you should use different hotsync names for each device. You can
    do this:
    1. Sync the m500 one last time with the old desktop software
    2. Install the new desktop software that came with the Tungsten E
    3. Sync the m500 again, with the new desktop software
    4. If the Tungsten E was pre-owned and the old data/hotsync name was
    not removed, hard reset the Tungsten E (assuming there's no data or
    software on it that you need/want)
    5. Sync the Tungsen E with the new desktop software and indicate that
    you want to use the hotsync name that was used on the m500
    6. Check if the data you had on the m500 is now on the Tungsten E.
    You may not want to give the m500 to your daughter yet until after a
    few days of using the Tungsten E and making sure you're getting all
    the functionality you previously had on the m500.
    7. If you're finally comfortable with your Tungsten E, do a hard
    reset on the m500
    8. Sync it with the desktop and give it a new hotsync name.

    Hope this helps.

    On Jan 18, 2:10 pm, Surf40 wrote:
    > Another question. I've been using my M500, and just got a used
    > Tungsten E. I've learned that I need to install the new desktop
    > software that came with it to enable me to Hotsynce with the new
    > Tungsten. But I still want to keep using my old M500 also (daughter
    > will be using it)
    > Will the new desktop software hotsync with my old M500 also? How will
    > it know which device is connected? Will I need to change the hotsync
    > name in the M500?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Surf40

  3. Re: Backward compatability of Desktop Software

    I tried it and it worked. The M55 sync'ed just fine, and when I
    sync'ed the
    Tungsten, it asked for a new name, and I gave it a different one, and
    then it sync'ed fine

    Thanks

    Surf40