Using Pocket Tunes to Sync Music Between Your PC and Your Palm Device - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Using Pocket Tunes to Sync Music Between Your PC and Your Palm Device - Palmtop ; Here's a lesser known feature in a lot of newer Palm devices. Pocket Tunes which is bundled with the Palm Centro and for which users of the Palm Treo 680, 700p, 755p, TX, and LifeDrive are eligible to free upgrades ...

  1. Using Pocket Tunes to Sync Music Between Your PC and Your Palm Device

    Here's a lesser known feature in a lot of newer Palm devices. Pocket
    Tunes which is bundled with the Palm Centro and for which users of the
    Palm Treo 680, 700p, 755p, TX, and LifeDrive are eligible to free
    upgrades can actually communicate with a Windows PC, allowing you to
    drag and drop music between your PC and a music folder on an SD card
    without removing the card from your device. This is very useful for
    people whose PCs don't have built-in SD card readers or whose
    smartphones like the Treo 680 have a side-mounted expansion slot which
    is hidden behind a door.
    --
    Cause, really, nothing says "I'm a counter culture
    rebel, fighting the establishment" like an Aibo on

    Roberto Castillo
    robertocastillo@ameritech.net
    http://zombie-gulch.myminicity.com/

  2. Re: Using Pocket Tunes to Sync Music Between Your PC and Your Palm Device

    On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 23:13:00 -0600, Zombie Elvis
    wrote:

    >Here's a lesser known feature in a lot of newer Palm devices. Pocket
    >Tunes which is bundled with the Palm Centro and for which users of the
    >Palm Treo 680, 700p, 755p, TX, and LifeDrive are eligible to free
    >upgrades can actually communicate with a Windows PC, allowing you to
    >drag and drop music between your PC and a music folder on an SD card
    >without removing the card from your device. This is very useful for
    >people whose PCs don't have built-in SD card readers or whose
    >smartphones like the Treo 680 have a side-mounted expansion slot which
    >is hidden behind a door.

    I've run into issues getting Vista to see the device with Pocket
    Tunes.

    A down and dirty solution to this is to use the 3rd party app "Card
    Reader" which works fine under Vista. Just copy your .mp3's to the
    appropriate folder on your SD card and you're good to go.

    Cheers.

  3. Re: Using Pocket Tunes to Sync Music Between Your PC and Your Palm Device

    Li RM wrote:

    >On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 23:13:00 -0600, Zombie Elvis
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Here's a lesser known feature in a lot of newer Palm devices. Pocket
    >>Tunes which is bundled with the Palm Centro and for which users of the
    >>Palm Treo 680, 700p, 755p, TX, and LifeDrive are eligible to free
    >>upgrades can actually communicate with a Windows PC, allowing you to
    >>drag and drop music between your PC and a music folder on an SD card
    >>without removing the card from your device. This is very useful for
    >>people whose PCs don't have built-in SD card readers or whose
    >>smartphones like the Treo 680 have a side-mounted expansion slot which
    >>is hidden behind a door.

    >I've run into issues getting Vista to see the device with Pocket
    >Tunes.
    >
    >A down and dirty solution to this is to use the 3rd party app "Card
    >Reader" which works fine under Vista. Just copy your .mp3's to the
    >appropriate folder on your SD card and you're good to go.
    >
    >Cheers.

    One followup to your note - there are a number of similar apps out
    there. The only one of those that I've found that will work correctly
    with the Treo 755P is Card Reader. It is totally transparent to your
    PC, as it will present the SD card as a "Mass Storage Device" (like a
    USB flash drive) to your PC or Mac (except for Windows 98, no drivers
    are necessary on the PC: with a Mac it must be set up to read
    Windows-formatted Mass Storage Devices). Been using it for a few weeks
    and worth the $11.95 it cost me from Palm Software Connection..

    Here's the URL for Card Reader at Palm Software Connection:

    http://software.palm.com/us/html/dis...&id=prod580665

    Regards,
    Bill Bowen
    Sacramento, CA