Re: Palm Desktop for XP and Treo 680 Upgrade Released - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Re: Palm Desktop for XP and Treo 680 Upgrade Released - Palmtop ; On 1/16/2008 9:27 PM PT, Zombie Elvis typed: > It's been a busy week for Palm. > > Palm Desktop application and drivers for Windows Vista have been in > Beta for a while and are now final. It is ...

  1. Re: Palm Desktop for XP and Treo 680 Upgrade Released

    On 1/16/2008 9:27 PM PT, Zombie Elvis typed:

    > It's been a busy week for Palm.
    >
    > Palm Desktop application and drivers for Windows Vista have been in
    > Beta for a while and are now final. It is available here:
    > http://www.palm.com/us/support/downloads/windesk62.html
    >

    > Unlocked Treo 680s have a new firmware upgrade which can be downloaded
    > here:
    > http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...lockedgsm.html

    SO, how's the firmware and desktop in XP for unlocked Treo 680 so far?
    I am amazed that Palm even released updates for XP.
    --
    "To the gods I am an ant, but to the ants, I am a god." --unknown
    /\___/\
    \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
    ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com

  2. Re: Palm Desktop for XP and Treo 680 Upgrade Released

    Previously on comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, Ant said:

    > SO, how's the firmware and desktop in XP for unlocked Treo 680 so far?
    > I am amazed that Palm even released updates for XP.

    Can't speak about the desktop, as I haven't installed it yet (will,
    eventually, on my Vista machine just to upgrade out of the beta
    desktop). Upgrading my Treo 680 has left me with a mess that'll take
    me days or weeks to fully straighten out.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "... both Republicans and Democrats stood with me in the Rose Garden to
    announce their support for a clear statement of purpose: you disarm, or
    we will." - George W. Bush on Saddam Hussein, Manchester, NH, Oct 5,
    2002

  3. Re: Palm Desktop for XP and Treo 680 Upgrade Released

    In message Jeffrey
    Kaplan wrote:

    >Previously on comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, Ant said:
    >
    >> SO, how's the firmware and desktop in XP for unlocked Treo 680 so far?
    >> I am amazed that Palm even released updates for XP.

    >Can't speak about the desktop, as I haven't installed it yet (will,
    >eventually, on my Vista machine just to upgrade out of the beta
    >desktop). Upgrading my Treo 680 has left me with a mess that'll take
    >me days or weeks to fully straighten out.

    Any hints or clues? I'm sitting this one out, mostly to let my current
    disgust with Palm settle a bit before getting annoyed once again...

  4. Re: Palm Desktop for XP and Treo 680 Upgrade Released

    On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 11:51:06 -0500, Jeffrey Kaplan
    wrote:

    >Previously on comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, Ant said:
    >
    >> SO, how's the firmware and desktop in XP for unlocked Treo 680 so far?
    >> I am amazed that Palm even released updates for XP.

    >Can't speak about the desktop, as I haven't installed it yet (will,
    >eventually, on my Vista machine just to upgrade out of the beta
    >desktop). Upgrading my Treo 680 has left me with a mess that'll take
    >me days or weeks to fully straighten out.

    I had two basic problems with my Treo 680, possibly three depending on
    how you're counting. I need to re-enter the registration numbers for
    my applications. ClockPop no longer works.

    And for some reason my calendar database was corrupted (I think but am
    not sure that the new Palm Desktop did this but am not sure because my
    Palm TX wasn't affected by this problem, just the 680), causing the
    Hotsync application to hang. Luckily I had already backed everything
    up by synching before doing the firmware upgrade and was able to fix
    the problem by setting the Addressbook conduit to "Desktop overrides
    handheld."
    --
    "Don't try to be a hero. It's not in the health plan."
    -- Hermes Conrad

    Roberto Castillo
    robertocastillo@ameritech.net
    http://zombie-gulch.myminicity.com/

  5. Re: Palm Desktop for XP and Treo 680 Upgrade Released

    Previously on comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, DevilsPGD said:

    > >Can't speak about the desktop, as I haven't installed it yet (will,
    > >eventually, on my Vista machine just to upgrade out of the beta
    > >desktop). Upgrading my Treo 680 has left me with a mess that'll take
    > >me days or weeks to fully straighten out.

    > Any hints or clues? I'm sitting this one out, mostly to let my current
    > disgust with Palm settle a bit before getting annoyed once again...

    It took me two attempts to run the upgrade, the first one hung. To get
    out of it, I had to hard-reset my Treo, and I almost had to reboot my
    desktop as well.

    When the upgrade finished, I naturally did a restore-sync (instructions
    didn't say not to), and wound up in a reset-loop that required a hard
    reset to get out of. So I wound up having to do a piecemeal restore,
    but carefully because trying to restore everything except the system
    base pref files from my card based backup also resulted in a reset
    loop.

    Reset Doctor kept resetting my prefs at every step, causing me to loose
    my settings several times.

    And I'm still reconfiguring things and re-entering registration codes.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "Didn't we already give them a break at the top?" - George W. Bush, re:
    taxes on dividends, Nov 26, 2002

  6. Re: Palm Desktop for XP and Treo 680 Upgrade Released

    In message <6qj1p3913i1dtlh56pvb5nnhvf1et22aio@gordol.org> Jeffrey
    Kaplan wrote:

    >Previously on comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, DevilsPGD said:
    >
    >> >Can't speak about the desktop, as I haven't installed it yet (will,
    >> >eventually, on my Vista machine just to upgrade out of the beta
    >> >desktop). Upgrading my Treo 680 has left me with a mess that'll take
    >> >me days or weeks to fully straighten out.

    >> Any hints or clues? I'm sitting this one out, mostly to let my current
    >> disgust with Palm settle a bit before getting annoyed once again...

    >It took me two attempts to run the upgrade, the first one hung. To get
    >out of it, I had to hard-reset my Treo, and I almost had to reboot my
    >desktop as well.
    >
    >When the upgrade finished, I naturally did a restore-sync (instructions
    >didn't say not to), and wound up in a reset-loop that required a hard
    >reset to get out of. So I wound up having to do a piecemeal restore,
    >but carefully because trying to restore everything except the system
    >base pref files from my card based backup also resulted in a reset
    >loop.
    >
    >Reset Doctor kept resetting my prefs at every step, causing me to loose
    >my settings several times.
    >
    >And I'm still reconfiguring things and re-entering registration codes.

    That sounds like par for the course for a Palm firmware upgrade, no?

    Without having any experience with this one in particular, I'd suggest
    that for any firmware upgrade the proper steps should be:

    1) Backup (if you're into that)

    2) Hard reset

    3) Firmware upgrade

    4) Hard reset

    5) Restore data.

    A piecemeal restore is also pretty much typical if you use many Palm
    apps beyond what Palm/ACCESS supply.

    That being said, I usually welcome an excuse to do a complete cleanup,
    restoring the bare minimum of what I actually use...

  7. Re: Palm Desktop for XP and Treo 680 Upgrade Released

    Previously on comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, DevilsPGD said:

    > That sounds like par for the course for a Palm firmware upgrade, no?

    Not in my experience. I upgraded my prior device, a 650, at least
    twice, and before that a IIIx a few times. Each time it went off
    without a hitch. I don't think I ever applied a system upgrade to any
    of the Clies I had in between.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "Teal'c. It's good to see you well." "In my culture, I would be well
    within my rights to dismember you." - Harry Maybourne and Teal'c, SG1

+ Reply to Thread