Re: Palm Desktop for XP and Treo 680 Upgrade Released - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Re: Palm Desktop for XP and Treo 680 Upgrade Released - Palmtop ; In message Zombie Elvis wrote: >It's been a busy week for Palm. > >Palm Desktop application and drivers for Windows Vista have been in >Beta for a while and are now final. It is available here: > http://www.palm.com/us/support/downloads/windesk62.html An interesting ...

  1. Re: Palm Desktop for XP and Treo 680 Upgrade Released

    In message <0gpto3thp35vdqb7f1l6s1ekv125e4fsnr@4ax.com> Zombie Elvis
    wrote:

    >It's been a busy week for Palm.
    >
    >Palm Desktop application and drivers for Windows Vista have been in
    >Beta for a while and are now final. It is available here:
    >http://www.palm.com/us/support/downloads/windesk62.html

    An interesting note: "# Not compatible with dual- or multiple-CPU
    computers Note: this is not the same as a dual- or multi-core processor,
    which is compatible with Palm Desktop 6.2"

    I'd really like to see an explanation for that one.

    At the moment, my Treo is my ONLY device which doesn't have full Vista
    x64 support (okay, that's a lie, I can't start a scan job from the
    scanner, I have to start the app first, then I can use the controls on
    my scanner), and it's about to cost Palm a loyal customer since the late
    90s.

  2. Re: Palm Desktop for XP and Treo 680 Upgrade Released

    In article ,
    DevilsPGD wrote:

    >I'd really like to see an explanation for that one.

    Not thread safe?

  3. Re: Palm Desktop for XP and Treo 680 Upgrade Released

    In message wrat@panix.com (the wharf
    rat) wrote:

    >In article ,
    >DevilsPGD wrote:
    >>
    >>I'd really like to see an explanation for that one.
    >>

    > Not thread safe?

    Maybe, but note the comment...

    | "# Not compatible with dual- or multiple-CPU
    | computers Note: this is not the same as a dual- or multi-core processor,
    | which is compatible with Palm Desktop 6.2"

    Dual-core processors have the same threading issues as dual-CPU issues.

  4. Re: Palm Desktop for XP and Treo 680 Upgrade Released

    In article <5i90p35leq3fhd8lessq55se62c0km745v@4ax.com>,
    DevilsPGD wrote:

    >Dual-core processors have the same threading issues as dual-CPU issues.

    Don't multi-core processors handle concurrency in a slightly
    different manner than multi-cpu systems do? Maybe it's just a matter of
    testing: mutl-core systems are easy to find so it's tested, multi-cpu
    systems aren't to they won't test it?

  5. Re: Palm Desktop for XP and Treo 680 Upgrade Released

    rat) wrote:

    >In article <5i90p35leq3fhd8lessq55se62c0km745v@4ax.com>,
    >DevilsPGD wrote:
    >>
    >>Dual-core processors have the same threading issues as dual-CPU issues.

    > Don't multi-core processors handle concurrency in a slightly
    >different manner than multi-cpu systems do? Maybe it's just a matter of
    >testing: mutl-core systems are easy to find so it's tested, multi-cpu
    >systems aren't to they won't test it?

    The only differences is in the potential for CPUs to interact directly
    with each other. AMD's crossbar was, I believe, the first, x86/x64 CPU
    to allow the CPUs to directly exchange data without hitting system RAM.

    Intel's "core" line all do that and more.

    However, it depends on the processor. Pentium D, for example, is
    classed as a dual core for marketing and licensing purposes, but it's
    actually two single core chips on one die. From a coding point of view
    it's a classic dual CPU environment. Horrible chip, it combines the
    worst of the P4 architecture with additional overhead, without resulting
    in any more usable CPU in the majority of cases, but that's beside the
    fact.

    So like I said, it's a weird exception.

    But then so was the whole "XP MCE" exception, since MCE is just Pro with
    an additional application or three.

+ Reply to Thread