Re: Favourite applications for Palm - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Re: Favourite applications for Palm - Palmtop ; Christian Fauchier wrote: > wrote: > > > Hi, just been looking for a "killer apps" thread in the > > archives, but > > I don't think it's been done for a while. So what can people > > ...

  1. Re: Favourite applications for Palm

    Christian Fauchier wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Hi, just been looking for a "killer apps" thread in the
    > > archives, but
    > > I don't think it's been done for a while. So what can people
    > > currently
    > > not live without?

    > Programs I couldn't live without on my Treo (well, OK, I guess
    > I could
    > but I would miss them badly) :
    >
    > - mobileClock (ex Bob's Alarm) : multi-alarm clock (with
    > custom sounds)/
    > stopwatch / timer. I use it several times a day for recurrent
    > events
    > (wake up, kids to get at school...), and most of all the very
    > convenient
    > popup clock (available from any application and when the Palm
    > is off,
    > missing feature of standard Treo).
    > - MonthPlanner, very neat alternative to the regular (and
    > somewhat
    > boring) agenda, with colors and icons -- seems rather hard to
    > find now
    > - RPN (my best calc despite a rather dull interface)
    >
    > Indispensable system utilities :
    >
    > - BackupMan (needless to say...)
    > - McPhling (switching between applications and quick launching
    > of
    > recent/favourites apps)
    >
    > Tréo specific :
    >
    > - CallRec (one key recording on the fly)
    > - Butler (visual notification of missed calls or events)
    >
    > Other nice apps I don't use everyday but most useful all the
    > same :
    >
    > - HandyShopper (shopping lists and more, very convenient and
    > well
    > designed)
    > - iSilo (eBooks and converted web pages)
    > - Ultralingua (five dictionaries at hand...)

    OK, if we open this up to the Treo then I would omit Tealscript
    (does anyone really use graffiti style input when a thumb board
    is available ?):

    Accessorizer - allows one to switch to another program without
    quitting the program you're in. Like looking up a password while
    in a web browser.

    Keycaps

    LudusP - a way to make the green button useful

    Opera Mini - It is a great web browser

    Yanoff v1.5.4 - a newsreader app for the Palm. I'm using it
    now. Warning, I could not figure out how to set up any other
    version than this one.

    Pennovate Notes - far more useful than Bugme IMHO

    Regards,
    Doug

  2. Re: Favourite applications for Palm

    --
    Christian

  3. Re: Favourite applications for Palm

    On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 05:55:37PM +0000, Doug Hoffman wrote:
    > Christian Fauchier wrote:
    > > wrote:
    > > > Hi, just been looking for a "killer apps" thread in the
    > > > archives ...

    > > - RPN (my best calc despite a rather dull interface)

    I use Pgmrcalc and Pawcalc

    > > Treo specific :
    > > - CallRec (one key recording on the fly)

    I'll have to try that.

    > OK, if we open this up to the Treo then I would omit Tealscript
    > (does anyone really use graffiti style input when a thumb board
    > is available ?):

    I thought I would when I first got mine, but I don't miss it at all.
    Even when I'm sshed into a proper computer, I find that Keycaps is
    enough to like it usable.

    > Keycaps

    Essential.

    > Opera Mini - It is a great web browser

    I tried it for a bit, and was impressed. At least, I was impressed when
    it worked. It was too unstable to keep using it though, which is a
    pity.

    Other than those already mentioned, my essentials are:

    * Memo Plus - because the built-in memos application is made of pure
    arse
    * eReader - so I've got something to read on the train to work
    * Google Maps
    * GNU Keyring - for storing my 200-odd different passwords
    * MetrO - route planning on public transport
    * Readerware - so I don't buy duplicates in bookshops (the Palm software
    is useless without the desktop version though)

    I hate baby seals. They get asked to all the best clubs.

  4. Re: Favourite applications for Palm

    Doug Hoffman schrieb:

    > OK, if we open this up to the Treo then I would omit Tealscript
    > (does anyone really use graffiti style input when a thumb board
    > is available ?):

    I don't miss graffiti, that's why I was using T|C and now Treo 680.

    But...I am missing very much a program like Notepad. Where has it gone?

    It is much faster to make a draft (paint) incl. hints about size, weight
    etc. instead of typing anything by caps.

    Someone using anything like Notepad?

    Juergen

+ Reply to Thread