Palm Desktop compatability - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Palm Desktop compatability - Palmtop ; I have had a Palm M500 for about 5 years, and use it all the time. Last night I purchased on Craig's List a Tungsten E. My question is can I just connect it via the USB cable to my ...

  1. Palm Desktop compatability

    I have had a Palm M500 for about 5 years, and use it all the time.
    Last night I purchased on Craig's List a Tungsten E. My question is
    can I just connect it via the USB cable to my current computer and use
    the already installed Palm Desktop software to interface with the
    Tungsten? Will it recognize the new Tungsten? Or do I have to
    install the desktop software that came with the Tungsten?

    Thanks

    Surf40

  2. Re: Palm Desktop compatability

    In article <926f1a8f-9a20-4114-93fa-
    9675aba477ba@i7g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, surf40@hotmail.com says...
    > I have had a Palm M500 for about 5 years, and use it all the time.
    > Last night I purchased on Craig's List a Tungsten E. My question is
    > can I just connect it via the USB cable to my current computer and use
    > the already installed Palm Desktop software to interface with the
    > Tungsten? Will it recognize the new Tungsten? Or do I have to
    > install the desktop software that came with the Tungsten?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Surf40

    Look at it logically.

    Can you use brand new hardware with old outdated software that was not
    written for the new advanced hardware?

    NO, of course not.

    Try reading PalmŪ Support Knowledge Library article Upgrading from a
    previous Palm OSŪ handheld

  3. Re: Palm Desktop compatability

    Thanks Jim,

    The Palm library gave me what I needed to know. The Tungsten I got is
    used, so it has another user name I need to delete.

    Thanks

    Surf40

    On Jan 16, 9:54*am, Jim Anderson
    wrote:
    > In article <926f1a8f-9a20-4114-93fa-
    > 9675aba47...@i7g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, sur...@hotmail.com says...
    >
    > > I have had a Palm M500 for about 5 years, and use it all the time.
    > > Last night I purchased on Craig's List a Tungsten E. * My question is
    > > can I just connect it via the USB cable to my current computer and use
    > > the already installed Palm Desktop software to interface with the
    > > Tungsten? * Will it recognize the new Tungsten? *Or do I have to
    > > install the desktop software that came with the Tungsten?

    > > Thanks

    > > Surf40

    > Look at it logically.
    >
    > Can you use brand new hardware with old outdated software that was not
    > written for the new advanced hardware?
    >
    > NO, of course not.
    >
    > Try reading PalmŪ Support Knowledge Library article Upgrading from a
    > previous Palm OSŪ handheld

+ Reply to Thread