Palm with replaceable batteries? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Palm with replaceable batteries? - Palmtop ; My ancient Palm VIIx has the great virtue (in my eyes) of using ordinary AAA batteries. I get a week or more worth of use from a pair of NiMH rechargeables and carry spares with me so that, when the ...

  1. Palm with replaceable batteries?

    My ancient Palm VIIx has the great virtue (in my eyes) of using
    ordinary AAA batteries. I get a week or more worth of use from a
    pair of NiMH rechargeables and carry spares with me so that, when
    the batteries run out I can pop in freshly charged ones and be
    back in business in 60 seconds. Four good quality rechargeables
    cost only $10 and last for years and years.

    Are there any more modern PDAs that have this feature?

    If there aren't any that use off the shelf standard size
    batteries, are there at least some that have easily removable
    rechargeable batteries for which spares can be carried?

    Every single digital camera I have seen has this feature. Some
    use standard AA sizes and some use proprietary Lithium Ion, but
    all of them have a simple way to remove, recharge, and replace
    the battery. I know many cell phones also have easily
    replaceable batteries. Don't any of the Palm or other PDAs have
    this?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Palm with replaceable batteries?

    "Alan Meyer" wrote in message
    > My ancient Palm VIIx has the great virtue (in my eyes) of using
    > ordinary AAA batteries. I get a week or more worth of use from a
    > pair of NiMH rechargeables and carry spares with me so that, when
    > the batteries run out I can pop in freshly charged ones and be
    > back in business in 60 seconds. Four good quality rechargeables
    > cost only $10 and last for years and years.
    >
    > Are there any more modern PDAs that have this feature?
    >
    > If there aren't any that use off the shelf standard size
    > batteries, are there at least some that have easily removable
    > rechargeable batteries for which spares can be carried?
    >
    > Every single digital camera I have seen has this feature. Some
    > use standard AA sizes and some use proprietary Lithium Ion, but
    > all of them have a simple way to remove, recharge, and replace
    > the battery. I know many cell phones also have easily
    > replaceable batteries. Don't any of the Palm or other PDAs have
    > this?
    >
    > Thanks.

    I think the lithium ion rechargeable have actually more energy than the NiMH, but the
    current PDA's use more power to run the backlit color display. So it's not a fair
    comparison.

    Adam

  3. Re: Palm with replaceable batteries?

    Alan Meyer wrote:
    > My ancient Palm VIIx has the great virtue (in my eyes) of using
    > ordinary AAA batteries. I get a week or more worth of use from a
    > pair of NiMH rechargeables and carry spares with me so that, when
    > the batteries run out I can pop in freshly charged ones and be
    > back in business in 60 seconds. Four good quality rechargeables
    > cost only $10 and last for years and years.
    >
    > Are there any more modern PDAs that have this feature?
    >
    > If there aren't any that use off the shelf standard size
    > batteries, are there at least some that have easily removable
    > rechargeable batteries for which spares can be carried?
    >
    > Every single digital camera I have seen has this feature. Some
    > use standard AA sizes and some use proprietary Lithium Ion, but
    > all of them have a simple way to remove, recharge, and replace
    > the battery. I know many cell phones also have easily
    > replaceable batteries. Don't any of the Palm or other PDAs have
    > this?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Modern PDAs draw WAY too much current for this feature to be practical.
    A PDA big and heavy enough to hold big old round AA cells would be
    unattractive
    to most buyers. And with ram storage, there's no reliable way to tell
    how long it will hold the ram before losing it's mind. That really
    annoys buyers. And the AAA that run your older 7x wouldn't last at all.

    Yes, you could design around these issues and have a product that
    wouldn't sell to anybody but you...and maybe me...used...when you're
    done with it.

    If you want a backlit color display, and you go camping in the outback,
    you're gonna have to lug along a solar panel or a generator.
    I have a hand-crank LED flashlight with a phone charger output.
    Works, but you'll get your exercise using it.

    Or dump the palm and get a windows machine. the Dell Axim X51v
    has a couple of nice features. You can turn it off...completely off.
    Mine will sit for weeks and still be 95% charged. That won't help
    the on-time, but can significantly increase the usable number of days
    on a charge for intermittent use. It's flash based, so you never lose
    any data even if you run it flat.

    There's a "big" battery that more than doubles the run time.
    I can't tell you how long it runs, because I've never had the patience
    to run it below half.

    Swappable batteries are cheap on EBAY. You can carry a pocketfull of them.

    --
    Return address is VALID!

  4. Re: Palm with replaceable batteries?

    "Alan Meyer" wrote in message
    > My ancient Palm VIIx has the great virtue (in my eyes) of using
    > ordinary AAA batteries.

    I agree; one of the greatest strengths of my older devices is that their
    batteries lasted for a long time. I'd see a fortnight of regular use from
    alkalines and a week from rechargeable NiMHs.

    The Palm Vx I bought, well, I'll scrape a week if I compromise somewhere.

    The T3, heh, a day. That's now been replaced with a Clie SJ33, where I'll
    get two or three days.

    > I get a week or more worth of use from a
    > pair of NiMH rechargeables and carry spares with me so that, when
    > the batteries run out I can pop in freshly charged ones and be
    > back in business in 60 seconds. Four good quality rechargeables
    > cost only $10 and last for years and years.

    Indeedy.

    > Are there any more modern PDAs that have this feature?

    Not in the same context, but as others have suggested, Treos have
    replaceable batteries.

    A lot of devices have "sealed for life" batteries. Of course, they're never
    quite sealed for life, but they're awkward to replace.

    > If there aren't any that use off the shelf standard size
    > batteries, are there at least some that have easily removable
    > rechargeable batteries for which spares can be carried?
    >
    > Every single digital camera I have seen has this feature. Some
    > use standard AA sizes and some use proprietary Lithium Ion, but
    > all of them have a simple way to remove, recharge, and replace
    > the battery. I know many cell phones also have easily
    > replaceable batteries. Don't any of the Palm or other PDAs have
    > this?

    Some Windows Mobile devices have this feature, but they also have Windows
    Mobile too. Are you tied to PalmOS for a reason such as an application
    you want to run?

    --
    The DervMan
    www.dervman.com

  5. Re: Palm with replaceable batteries?

    On Jan 4, 12:12 am, "Adam Helberg" wrote:

    > I think the lithium ion rechargeable have actually more energy than the NiMH, but the
    > current PDA's use more power to run the backlit color display. So it's not a fair
    > comparison.

    That's an interesting problem. I've used a Palm Tungsten with a
    backlit
    display. It's far superior to VIIx in dim light, but inferior in
    daylight.

    Wouldn't it be great if there were a technology that worked well in
    both
    environments?

    If I had to choose between a backlit display and long battery life,
    I'm not
    at all sure I'd go for the backlit display - especially if, like the
    old Palms,
    it had a sorta, kinda, not-very-good-but-still-usable-in-a-pinch
    backlighting.

    Alan

  6. Re: Palm with replaceable batteries?

    On Jan 5, 11:19 am, mike wrote:
    > Modern PDAs draw WAY too much current for this feature to be practical.
    > A PDA big and heavy enough to hold big old round AA cells would be
    > unattractive
    > to most buyers.

    I can't disagree too much, but even if you could, say, two or three
    days, from two AAA cells, but could easily replace them, it's not
    such a big burden to carry 4 or 6 extras.

    > Or dump the palm and get a windows machine.

    I guess I have to consider it. I've used the Palm for over eight
    years now. I'm comfortable with it and have learned to work
    with and around the applications for it. But I guess all good things
    come to an end.

    I'm actually planning to keep the old VIIx in service, but I'm
    thinking
    it's getting long in the tooth and if it fails me, I won't want to
    just
    go buy another on EBay without seeing if the new whizbangs
    would do a better job.

    Thanks.

    Alan

  7. Re: Palm with replaceable batteries?

    Thank you to all who have replied.

    I appreciate it.

    Alan

  8. Re: Palm with replaceable batteries?

    In message
    <6c6d4bf8-4b19-4603-bc22-a4421116fdf8@q39g2000hsf.googlegroups.com> Alan
    Meyer wrote:

    >Wouldn't it be great if there were a technology that worked well in
    >both environments?

    Some of the newer transreflective LCDs are better then the first few
    generations...

  9. Re: Palm with replaceable batteries?

    "Alan Meyer" wrote in message
    > On Jan 4, 12:12 am, "Adam Helberg" wrote:
    >>
    >> I think the lithium ion rechargeable have actually more energy than the
    >> NiMH, but the
    >> current PDA's use more power to run the backlit color display. So it's
    >> not a fair
    >> comparison.

    > That's an interesting problem. I've used a Palm Tungsten with a
    > backlit
    > display. It's far superior to VIIx in dim light, but inferior in
    > daylight.
    >
    > Wouldn't it be great if there were a technology that worked well in
    > both
    > environments?

    I had no issue with the m515 / Tungsten W's screen...

    --
    The DervMan
    www.dervman.com

  10. Re: Palm with replaceable batteries?

    The Clie SL10 takes 2 AAA batteries. It is grayscale (lower
    battery draw) but it is 320x320 (ebooks look better). Palmos 4.1.
    If you buy a used one, the mini battery or capacitor or whatever that
    supplies a little bit of power while you swap batteries will have run
    out, so the trick is to change the batteries while the usb cable is
    attached (power from the computer). You can also use the built in
    backup program to save the current state to a memory stick, swap
    batteries, then restore the state (about 1 minute each time). Get
    them on ebay for $20-$40. Try to get one with a memory stick and a
    usb sync cable. They don't work with memory stick duo or pro or pro-
    duo or PSP style or anything >128MB, just plain memory sticks or magic-
    gate memory sticks, so you can't find them on a store shelf.

+ Reply to Thread