If all I need is a pocket 802.11b web browser - Palmtop

This is a discussion on If all I need is a pocket 802.11b web browser - Palmtop ; What platform is the cheapest / best value for a pocket web browser over 802.11b? I've been looking at the Sony PSP, used iPaqs and the Palm TX. does anyone have any other suggestions, or preferences to share? I have ...

  1. If all I need is a pocket 802.11b web browser

    What platform is the cheapest / best value for a pocket web browser
    over 802.11b?

    I've been looking at the Sony PSP, used iPaqs and the Palm TX.

    does anyone have any other suggestions, or preferences to share? I
    have never used a small form factor web browser before. For context,
    need this for checking Gmail, and browsing information websites like
    Mathworld and Wikipedia.

    Thanks in advance for any advice.

  2. Re: If all I need is a pocket 802.11b web browser

    "Bill J." wrote in news:27086e6d-12ab-4184-9226-
    1c8163ba6436@d4g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

    > What platform is the cheapest / best value for a pocket web browser
    > over 802.11b?
    >
    > I've been looking at the Sony PSP, used iPaqs and the Palm TX.
    >
    > does anyone have any other suggestions, or preferences to share? I
    > have never used a small form factor web browser before. For context,
    > need this for checking Gmail, and browsing information websites like
    > Mathworld and Wikipedia.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any advice.

    If it were me, I'd pick up a Nokia N series Internet Tablet. You can even
    use a version of the Palm OS on them -- oh, excuse me, I mean the "Garnet
    OS."

    The N770 is the oldest of the three -- and is currently selling (buy it
    now) new on eBay for $120, plus shipping.

    http://tinyurl.com/33k2p8

    To get an idea of its size, look it (actually the N800, but the size is
    about the same) in comparison to the Centro and Stowaway Ultra Thin
    Keyboard:

    http://tinyurl.com/3af72o

    For information about loading the Palm (Garnet) OS on it, look at:

    http://www.access-company.com/products/gvm/

    Or Google "Garnet on Nokia Nseries."

    Disclaimer: I don't own one of these -- just thinking about buying one,
    but I don't know if I can justify it since I already have a Centro.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  3. Re: If all I need is a pocket 802.11b web browser

    On 2007-12-30, RonB wrote:
    > "Bill J." wrote in news:27086e6d-12ab-4184-9226-
    > 1c8163ba6436@d4g2000prg.googlegroups.com:
    >
    >> What platform is the cheapest / best value for a pocket web browser
    >> over 802.11b?
    >>
    >> I've been looking at the Sony PSP, used iPaqs and the Palm TX.
    >>
    >> does anyone have any other suggestions, or preferences to share? I
    >> have never used a small form factor web browser before. For context,
    >> need this for checking Gmail, and browsing information websites like
    >> Mathworld and Wikipedia.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance for any advice.

    > If it were me, I'd pick up a Nokia N series Internet Tablet.

    And I'd concur.

    > You can even
    > use a version of the Palm OS on them -- oh, excuse me, I mean the "Garnet
    > OS."

    Although I wouldn't do this. My experience of running non-native O/Ss on
    Palmtops has not been a happy one. Stick with Maemo (Nokia's Debian based
    Linux).

    > Disclaimer: I don't own one of these

    I do. An N770. After years of looking for a palmtop to replace my beloved Psion
    5MX and trying an assortment of unreliable, crash-prone junk with awful PIM
    applications and battery life measured in minutes, I'm absolutely delighted with
    it;

    http://www.axalotl.demon.co.uk/picci...a/DSC_0001.JPG

    (The fringing on the screen is an artefact. In fact, the screen is the best I've
    seen on a portable device.)

    It works with a Bluetooth keyboard, too;

    http://www.axalotl.demon.co.uk/picci...a/DSC_0002.JPG

    I took it to India a few weeks ago, and used it to browse the web, listen to
    Radio 4 on streaming media, keep notes using the built-in "Note"
    application and send/receive emails. Marvellous bit of kit.

    I believe play.com are doing the 800 cheap at the moment, although if the '770
    is anything to go by, they sell out *very* quickly.

    [email me at huge {at} huge (dot) org uk]

  4. Re: If all I need is a pocket 802.11b web browser

    Huge wrote in

    > I do. An N770. After years of looking for a palmtop to replace my
    > beloved Psion 5MX and trying an assortment of unreliable, crash-prone
    > junk with awful PIM applications and battery life measured in minutes,
    > I'm absolutely delighted with it;

    Thanks for the recommendation. I'll probably get one after all. Just out of
    curiosity, what software do you use for a word processor? I've already got
    a Bluetooth keyboard -- identical to yours, except it doesn't say "Dell" on
    it, which doesn't work on my Centro. I definitely would like a nice,
    portable, word processor.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  5. Re: If all I need is a pocket 802.11b web browser

    On 2008-01-01, RonB wrote:
    > Huge wrote in
    >
    >> I do. An N770. After years of looking for a palmtop to replace my
    >> beloved Psion 5MX and trying an assortment of unreliable, crash-prone
    >> junk with awful PIM applications and battery life measured in minutes,
    >> I'm absolutely delighted with it;

    > Thanks for the recommendation. I'll probably get one after all. Just out of
    > curiosity, what software do you use for a word processor? I've already got
    > a Bluetooth keyboard -- identical to yours, except it doesn't say "Dell" on
    > it,

    Well, it isn't made by Dell... It's actually a "Think Outside" one - the
    Bluetooth announces the fact. (It's actually physically not as good as the
    plugin one I got for my (junk) iPaq - but the way the iPaq worked with the
    stowaway keyboard drove me mad - the virtual keyboard still kept popping up even
    with the real one plugged in, so you were forever having to close the damn
    thing. The Nokia doesn't do that.)

    > which doesn't work on my Centro. I definitely would like a nice,
    > portable, word processor.

    W-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-llll. The builtin 'Notes' (*) application is pretty good for
    getting words on paper (as it were). It does assorted fonts, colours and
    bulleted lists. And the files are in HTML, so you can do whatever you like with
    them. But it isn't a Word Processor. There's a port of AbiWord for Maemo, so in
    theory you can have a "real" WP - but I suspect you wouldn't want one. The
    screen is too small (and, in my case, the kb too light and slidey around) to
    want to spend that much time in front of it. What I've done up to now is bash
    the words in anyhow on the Nokia and tidy them up later on a real machine.

    BTW, one of the failings of the Nokia is that there appears not to be any (easy)
    way to view MS Word documents. AbiWord can do that, but the only version I can
    find is for the '800 and won't run on the '770, and antiword (an Open Source
    Word reader) is a command line app, which you can run on the '770, but it's
    clumsy.

    But then, I don't really care about MS compatibility. I run Unix at home, Open
    Office will cheerfully read Notes'(*) HTML files and I was far more concerned
    about being able to transfer my Name & Address book about in vCard format, which
    worked like a dream.

    All in all, I'm still delighted with it. But YMMV.

    (* Nothing to do with the Lotus app of the same name.)

    [email me at huge {at} huge (dot) org uk]

  6. Re: If all I need is a pocket 802.11b web browser

    Huge wrote in

    > Well, it isn't made by Dell... It's actually a "Think Outside" one -
    > the Bluetooth announces the fact. (It's actually physically not as
    > good as the plugin one I got for my (junk) iPaq - but the way the iPaq
    > worked with the stowaway keyboard drove me mad - the virtual keyboard
    > still kept popping up even with the real one plugged in, so you were
    > forever having to close the damn thing. The Nokia doesn't do that.)

    I've used Think Outside keyboards for quite a while (on my IIIx, my m500
    and and my Samsung i500). I like them and use them with WordSmith to
    write. I don't care about the format, I just turn the font up as big as
    it will go and import the text into my specialized word processor. I had
    planned to do the same thing with the Centro and Think Outside's
    Bluetooth keyboard. But there's no real driver for it -- apparently the
    people who used to program those drivers left when iGo bought the
    company. That's why I was thinking of using the Garnet OS in the Nokia
    n770 -- I already know and use WordSmith on my Palms.

    >> which doesn't work on my Centro. I definitely would like a nice,
    >> portable, word processor.

    > W-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-llll. The builtin 'Notes' (*) application is pretty
    > good for getting words on paper (as it were). It does assorted fonts,
    > colours and bulleted lists. And the files are in HTML, so you can do
    > whatever you like with them. But it isn't a Word Processor. There's a
    > port of AbiWord for Maemo, so in theory you can have a "real" WP - but
    > I suspect you wouldn't want one. The screen is too small (and, in my
    > case, the kb too light and slidey around) to want to spend that much
    > time in front of it. What I've done up to now is bash the words in
    > anyhow on the Nokia and tidy them up later on a real machine.
    >
    > BTW, one of the failings of the Nokia is that there appears not to be
    > any (easy) way to view MS Word documents. AbiWord can do that, but the
    > only version I can find is for the '800 and won't run on the '770, and
    > antiword (an Open Source Word reader) is a command line app, which you
    > can run on the '770, but it's clumsy.
    >
    > But then, I don't really care about MS compatibility. I run Unix at
    > home, Open Office will cheerfully read Notes'(*) HTML files and I was
    > far more concerned about being able to transfer my Name & Address book
    > about in vCard format, which worked like a dream.
    >
    > All in all, I'm still delighted with it. But YMMV.
    >
    > (* Nothing to do with the Lotus app of the same name.)

    The driver for Think Outside Bluetooth keyboard has two huge problems
    when I try using it with the Centro. It randomly puts the Centro into
    continual reset mode -- which can only be fixed by doing a "system
    reset" and deleting the keyboard driver. When I tried using the Centro
    with my IF keyboard (which works) the driver also reset the Centro --
    and, again, the Centro has to be system reset and the keyboard driver
    removed. Not only does the keboard make the Centro very unstable (whether
    Bluetooth or IF is turned on in the Centro or not), it also somehow
    drains the battery when not in use -- whether or not the IF port or
    Bluetooth radio is turned on. Apparently the driver does the same to the
    Palm 755p. iGo customer support seems to be of no help. Hopefully an
    older IF keyboard driver will let me at least use the IF keyboard on the
    Centro.

    Meanwhile, I read that the n770 works with this keyboard, even without a
    driver -- which is why I was thinking of getting it and putting Garnet
    OS. But that still means I would have to carry and extra machine.

    Just rambling. Sorry.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  7. Re: If all I need is a pocket 802.11b web browser

    On 2008-01-02, RonB wrote:

    > The driver for Think Outside Bluetooth keyboard has two huge problems
    > when I try using it with the Centro.

    It works like an absolute charm on the Nokia, although you do have to install an
    updated Bluetooth application.

    > Meanwhile, I read that the n770 works with this keyboard, even without a
    > driver

    You don't need any software for the keyboard, per se, just the Bluetooth app.

    [email me at huge {at} huge (dot) org uk]

+ Reply to Thread